• Published 17th Aug 2016
  • 6,145 Views, 163 Comments

Ç ® υ § Η Ξ Ð - shortskirtsandexplosions



It's just another normal week of Vinyl Scratch attending school with the most beautiful creature on the the face of the earth.

  • ...
9
 163
 6,145

Friday

"Oh blast! Blast blast blast!"

Vinyl Scratch's heart plummeted. Her pastel sneakers scuffled through a shallow puddle as she spun around on the wet sidewalk. Blinking.

The bus had just dropped her and a few other students off at the subdivision. A thunderstorm had built up overhead, and a light rain fell—growing denser and denser by the second. This had little to no effect on the teenager in her white hoodie.

But a certain delicate cellist, on the other hand...

"How could I be such an imbecile?!" Octavia Melody gnashed her pretty teeth. She hugged her cello case to her pretty blouse as her pretty figure huddled under a lone tree. "Rrrrrngh! Blast! Rarity even said this would happen t-too!"

Vinyl blinked. She looked down the street. In the distance—over the rooftops of the suburbs—she spotted a dark curtain of rain drifting ever closer to that location. She could easily make it home in time. Someone living in the more affluent row of houses, however...

Wow... is this real life? Am I being punk'd?

Vinyl nevertheless shoved those thoughts far away. On brave feet, she marched up the side of the road, approaching the tree where Octavia huddled.

The girl saw Vinyl's approach immediately. "Oh... don't mind me. Please. It'll be alright. I'm sure it'll..." She gulped. "It'll l-let up sooner than later. It's just that this cello case isn't exactly water proof and... blast it!" She gritted her teeth, her violet eyes fearfully reflecting the inevitable monsoon rushing towards them. "My mum will have my entrails if I ruin the family heirloom! All of my work—and for what?! A lady should be better prepared..."

This is it. This is my destiny. Everything else be damned. Oxygen. Tacos. Higgs-Boson Particle. Screw it all.

Smiling, Vinyl held up a single finger, then flung her backpack around—unzipping it.

"Huh?" Octavia blinked. "What are you on about, love—?" She recoiled at the sight of a folded umbrella being held out towards her. "Oh... oh no, please. I couldn't!"

Vinyl smiled warmly. She shook the umbrella, holding it out even further.

"It's my own fault that I'm in this predicament!" She gulped, trembling slightly. "I... I still have to give you back your math notes! Bloody Hell... I can't even keep a promise to a fellow classmate." She brushed her bangs back, shuddering. "My schedule's been so blasted chaotic as of late. I'm so terribly sorry..."

With an exasperated sigh, Vinyl spun the umbrella around in her gasp so that the handle faced her.

Octavia's lungs deflated. With a teeny-tiny curtsy, she reached out and accepted the instruments. "Cheers, love. You're far too kind." Unfolding the thing, she held it protectively over herself and the cello—just in the nick of time. The roar of pitter-pattering rain echoed all around them as the neighborhood was thoroughly soaked. "But... but you!" She grimaced. "Oh, now I feel positively dreadful! You'll drown in this mess!"

Vinyl shrugged, smiling... smiling some more.

Yeah. Yeah, be cool. Ignore the sting of your nipples and just... be cool.

The rain was colder than Vinyl anticipated. She utilized a herculean amount of strength in hiding the fact.

It seemed to work.

"I... I-I'd better make it home before my tutor arrives!" Octavia scampered off, her Mary Janes splattering lightly in the growing puddles. "You just saved me from utter disaster! H-have a good weekend, Miss Scratch! I'll return this and the math notes soon! I promise!"

Vinyl turned, smiling stupidly.

I don't care if math and umbrellas go extinct. She's safe. She's warm. She's happy

The shivers doubled... tripled. Vinyl didn't realize just how much the rain had soaked her until she heard the music in her headphones skipping. With a grimace, she reached into her hoodie's front pockets. Moisture dribbled between her fingers, and her clothes felt four times as heavy... and cold.

Trembling, she scampered her way home, rushed through the front door, and made a bee-line for the bathroom. When Vinyl stripped of her clothes and hopped into a warm shower... she still felt bone-chillingly cold.

Uh oh...