• Published 17th Aug 2016
  • 6,148 Views, 163 Comments

Ç ® υ § Η Ξ Ð - shortskirtsandexplosions



It's just another normal week of Vinyl Scratch attending school with the most beautiful creature on the the face of the earth.

  • ...
9
 163
 6,148

Monday

Colors swirled and trailed one another in the darkness. Imaginary shapes strobed and fluctuated to a persistent, throbbing beat. These streaking things swam in patterns, playfully and creatively chasing after dynamically-evolving melodies and instrumental movements birthed in the ether.

And then, about four minutes into the track—right on time—an angelic voice heralded the morning into majesty.

Oh God. It only gets prettier with each passing day. I swear...

Vinyl Scratch opened her eyes. The phantom laser light show instantly faded from her mind, giving way to a purple-tinted bus stop beyond her shades. All of the lenses in the world—however—couldn't mask the regal glint of those eyes... with a princess' seraphic songvoice to match.

"...then... with... blasted... thing..." was all Vinyl could make out, but it was enough to set her entire ribcage tingling like a preschool xylophone. She fidgeted beneath the tree that she was leaning against beside the suburban sidewalk, her shaded eyes locked on the smokey-haired valkyrie drifting in from the row of larger, shinier houses positioned down the large subdivision.

A thick lump formed in Vinyl's throat. Her tongue dried up like a desert sponge. With trembling fingers, she reached to the volume control of her media player and pivoted the dial down... down...

The trance track blasting against her skull dissolved just enough to expose her tender ears to the words dripping out of the girl's lips. Even from several lingering backpacks away, the voice melted Vinyl inside out.

"I could already tell that just another minute of fiddling with those bloody strings would render my fingers absolutely blistered! My stars!" Her head turned. Smoke-colored threads fanned in the air, kissed morning dew, then settled across her soft feminine shoulders. "How could someone ever bother to handle an instrument so positively brutish?"

"Oh, I know, darling!" Rarity said, waving a dainty hand.

Shhh! Silence! Let the Goddess speak!

Nevertheless, the fashionable teenager hugged her books to her chest and rambled on: "That's why I settle for the key-tar myself. It's good for the ears as well as the manicure." Stupid, painted eyelashes fluttering. "Plus, it's positively chic, don't you think?"

"Well, you do have an eye for culture, love."

Heeeee... yaaaay...

"But I'd much rather settle for something classy anyday."

"Oh, that goes without saying, Tavi," Rarity said flippantly.

Vinyl sighed out her nostrils.

Lucky hussy. How come she gets to call her "Tavi?"

"But—if you don't mind my asking..." Rarity grimaced in the morning light. "Doesn't it murder your back to constantly have to lug that atrociously huge thing around?"

"My dear, you of all people should know that a lady never lugs," Octavia said. Octavia hummed. Octavia shimmered with eyes of liquid satin. "I aim to be a professional cellist." She shifted the weight of the instrument case in question, bearing an immaculate smile. "That involves as much labor as it does love. Wouldn't you agree?"

Yes. I whole-heartedly agree. Everything you say and breathe is wonderful. Oh please... please don't stop talking.

"Well, I'm certainly not one to judge, darling. I just... can't imagine such an unbearable weight! You are managing to carry all the proper necessities, yes?"

Laughter. Haughty and fae-like all at once. "But of course, love! What do you take me for?" A noticeable pause. "Well... I suppose I do sacrifice a few things to lesson the burden."

"Like what, if I may ask?"

"An umbrella for one."

"Oh, Tavi! Heaven forbid!" Rarity cupped her pale cheek. "You do know we're nearing the month of April!"

"Oh, I'm quite aware."

"Now now—don't be stubborn! Think ahead, dear! What if you became the victim of inclement weather?! I'd hate to imagine what a sudden rainstorm would do to your glorious complexion!"

"Glorious" doesn't even begin to cut it. Why is everyone but me such a senseless idiot? Cheese and crackers...

A diesel engine.

Motors and hydraulic brakes.

Vinyl's shaded eyes darted away from the smoke and purple. She spotted the bus coming, just on time. Reality set in... and she sighed, shuffling out from the comfortable shade of her tree. She shoved her hands into her hoodie's pockets and hunched over—placing her left shoulder sharply between herself and the holiest of holies. She stepped up to the bus first—as she did every morning—then shambled in as soon as the door opened. Without so much as a breath's hesitation, she scrambled her way to her unofficial seat at the very back of the bus. It was a lone, single seat—scrunched tightly between a wheel well and the emergency escape hatch. Once situated, Vinyl stripped her backpack off her shoulder, curled her legs up, and hugged both them—and the backpack—to her chest.

The rest of her petite body slumped down... which was just fine. Vinyl craned her neck enough—just enough—to peer over the fake, worn leather of the seat directly in front of her. Beyond the forest of sleepy students' necks, about seven spots towards the front, she saw a smokey head of hair. Octavia sat beside Rarity. She was closest to the window, which meant that—a few minutes after they exited the subdivision—the morning sun would catch the side of her face for the rest of the bus ride to school. The beams of light caught the velevety sheen of her temples... the softness of her bow-tie and how its royal purple matched the graceful, sleepy eyes that curved adorably from underneath with each smile she formed when laughing inwardly... gracefully at Rarity's lukewarm jokes.

Holy Moses. Is she born from a blooming flower bed every morning? Someone like that must walk on rose petals to the bathroom every morning. Science be damned. A girl that pretty must only poop ice cream and rainbows. I'm not even remotely joking.

And she wasn't. She could only sigh. Vinyl pushed her shades further up the bridge of her nose, then rested her smiling cheek against the side of her backpack. Safely hidden in the back, she gazed... and gazed... and gazed some more. She resumed playing the trance track on her media player...but just low enough so that she could still catch the distant tonality of Octavia's heavenly voice.

And just like that, she had the chorus she needed to serenade her throughout the rest of the sleepy bus ride.