• Published 17th Aug 2016
  • 8,370 Views, 323 Comments

Trixie And Her Amazing Pet Changeling - Georg



A lost and starving changeling encounters a broke and desperate Trixie. It works out better than expected.

  • ...
10
 323
 8,370

1. His Name Is Mud

His Name is Mud


Mud. His name might as well have been mud, due to the amount of mud squishing along his coat and across his hooves, each of which held enough of the sticky, cold, pestilent substance to fill a windowbox full of flowers and have enough leftover to track across the clean carpet, if he could find anywhere not filled with mud within a few days trudge from here. A cold drizzle just on the wrong side of sleet had been falling for days, soaking what could only laughingly be called a road and making it more into a sluggish riverbed that he had been mired in for what seemed like forever. Taking a well-needed break from his muddy slog, he heaved himself up onto a grassy ledge that paralleled the road and let the mud drip back down into the gooey road while shivering in the cold.

If he were the pony he looked like, the changeling could stumble into just about any pony town and find refuge for a day or two until the weather was scheduled to clear. Unfortunately, one side effect of the changeling invasion of Canterlot and their subsequent eviction was a certain hesitancy of the ponies to accept and welcome random strangers coming staggering in out of the rainy fall weather without being checked for magical disguises.

Whatever pony had crafted and distributed the changeling detection spell deserved to be slogging through the mud instead of him. There had been a rock concealed under the mud quite some distance ago which had twisted under his ankle, and that throbbing pain had followed along at his side with every step through the roads he had randomly chosen on his flight from the previous town. It was like he was being followed by a dark cloud, filled with misery and ice which just sucked all of the life out of him with every step.

The last bit of warmth he had left went away as the bitter chill of fall weather soaked into his mud-packed tail while he sat on it. There was no real reason to go forward and nothing behind him but a number of towns who had found he was a changeling and chased him away. So he sat. And dripped. And shivered.

After some time, the faint squish and slog of a pony trudging down the road he had just left became barely audible over the sound of the drizzling sleet. It could have been some guard or police pony tracking down the escaping changeling, except the last town he had visited had been several days ago and this sound was mixed with the faint creak and jingle of a wagon. A dry wagon, most likely pulled by some gullible earth pony who could be sweet-talked into giving a poor, wounded pony a ride to the nearest town. He gave a quick check to his disguise, still intact due to the effort it would have taken to drop it and put it back on again in a hurry, then tried to arrange himself into a pose which would look as pathetic as possible to the passing pony.

It seemed to take forever before the dripping wagon appeared out of the icy mist, moving at a pace which could have easily been passed by a snail in good health, if there were any who would be out in this weather. The pony pulling the wagon slogged and squished along with the slow and regular tread of somepony who knew just exactly how heavy the wagon was and how long they had been pulling it. Step by step, the wagon grew nearer and the changeling double-checked his disguise before extending his aching ankle and letting out a low groan of pain, which was remarkably easy to do.

The pony pulling the wagon had a large floppy hat draped across its head much like a melting pancake, as well as a cloak which the wagon harness was resting on, both of which were most likely a forlorn attempt to provide some protection from the rain. It seemed to be working as well as the changeling’s own disguise because either of them could have been dropped into a muddy pond and emerged dryer than they were now. He groaned again once the wagon grew closer, keeping his eyes nearly closed in anticipation of the expected burst of sympathy when he was finally spotted, because even miserable wet ponies preferred company.

Then he groaned again, louder this time when the wagon drew up next to his theatrical resting spot.

There was no burst of sympathy for him to feed on. The wagon did not stop.

He opened his eyes to look at the back of the wagon as it passed and felt a little burst of anger rise up in his chest at the inequanity of the thoughtless wagon driver. Lunging out into the mud again, he slogged relentlessly forward until he squished down the road alongside the heartless pony, fixing the blue meanie with his best fierce glare and a sharp word.

“Hey!”

The mud-covered pony did not stop. In fact, she seemed to pick up her pace ever so slightly.

“Hey!” he repeated. “I’m talking to you!”

That earned him a sideways glance and a frown, but no words.

“Didn’t you see me back there!” he shouted as he limped along. “You remember, just back over there! I was the pony sitting by the side of the road with a sprained ankle!”

That got him a word. “So?”

“So?!” The changeling tried to stomp his hooves, but succeeded in nothing more than making more squishing noises in the mud. “What kind of pony just leaves a wounded pony by the roadside?” he huffed.

“The kind who doesn’t want to pick up a parasite,” replied the wagon driver without a single change of pace in her emotionless trudge.

Deciding on Righteous Indignation for a response, the changeling let out a loud, “What?!”

The pony still kept trudging onward, but the floppy hat over her head glowed green for a long moment with the same pestilent detection spell the changeling had grown to hate over the last few weeks. His own disguise glowed a matching green through the caked-on mud before the pony said, “You’re a changeling. Or didn’t you know that?”

“Of course I knew,” said the changeling. He eyed the dripping woods they were trudging through as well as the road ahead and behind, just in case he needed to make a run for it. Well, a slow trudge through the mud for it. “How did you know?” he asked after they had walked for a while longer and the driver had not made any more responses.

“Changeling detection spell,” said the driver with a spicy touch of bitter spite and snark he could feel and get just the smallest amount of energy from. “They’re all the rage among unicorns lately.”

“No, I mean how did you cast the spell without me seeing it?” After all, the question was irking him.

“Trade secret,” she said, still trudging along.

“Oh.” As an answer, it was remarkably lacking in answer. After a while more of trudging through the icy mud, he asked, “So… Why aren’t you running away while screaming your head off, like all the other ponies have?”

The pony hunched her back and trudged a little faster with her mouth drawn into a tight line and the faint sound of grinding teeth. “That’s a stupid question. If you haven’t noticed, I have a wagon. If I run away screaming, I’ll lose it. Again.”

“Oh.” At least that was an answer, even though it was a dumb reason for doing what she was doing. The wagon appeared to be a mobile residence of some sort, with a door and a sign, along with a great deal of colorful paint which was obscured by splattered mud. What was better, it seemed to be dry while everything around was as wet as it could be without being at the bottom of the ocean. “So why haven’t you just pulled your wagon into a field and gone to sleep instead of pulling it through the mud?”

“Several reasons.” The pony seemed to be both pleased and angry at the question, which made the emotional flow from her very difficult to feed from, but the changeling nodded along while she talked anyway. “One. The road is dangerous. There are changelings wandering around if you haven’t noticed. There are ponies who would like nothing more than to take Trixie’s stuff. There are floods. Lightning strikes, particularly on innocent unicorns who happened to have perhaps accidentally offended a few dozen pegasi at her last performance. Two. Trixie wants nothing more than to get to the next town and take a BATH! Trixie is very cold and has mud where mud has no business being. Three. Due to a rather hasty departure at her last performance, Trixie has no bits, so Trixie will need to perform BEFORE she gets her bath. Four. Nopony will pay to see a muddy unicorn wave her horn around in the rain, so Trixie is doomed to be disappointed in all of her expectations, like always. Does that answer your question?”

“I suppose.” It still felt odd to be trudging down the muddy road with a pony who knew he was a changeling, but the weak trickle of emotions was at least better than what he was getting at the roadside. Still, he was starving hungry and his ankle throbbed with every step, but this pony did not seem to be terrified of him. If there was no way to trick her out of some love, maybe there was something else he could do to get fed.

“You know, I’ve got a few bits,” he started, shaking his head to get some of the accumulated water off and trying not to think about the little flecks of ice he could feel in his mane. “If you could give me a little love, I could pay you. That way you could get a room and a bath at your next town, and be able to perform. My ankle is killing me and I can’t survive for long on what little love I’ve got left, so it would work out best for the both of us. Does that sound good?”

The unicorn slowed to a stop with the wagon squishing to a halt behind them, but the flow of emotions from her cut off abruptly. “What did you say?” she asked very quietly.

“I just said if you give me some love, I’ll give you some bits, and we’ll both—”

The muddy ground seemed to come up and slug him in the face when the unicorn abruptly grabbed him with her magic and slammed him down. She did not stop at the first squishy impact, but then lifted him out of the mud by his tail and swung him down again while screaming.

“How dare you!”

The impact against the cold mud was much more stunning this time.

“What do you think Trixie is?!”

The third trip face-first into the muddy road did nothing for his scrambled thought processes.

“Trixie does not lift her tail for bits!”

He was losing track of the number of times he had been slammed into the mud by now, as well as losing his ability to breathe. Some faint inaudible noises managed to get through the mud packed into his ears when he felt his disguise fail. It did not slow the unicorn’s attempts to repeatedly smash him into the mud, though. If anything, it seemed to give her more of an incentive. The world became more indistinct with every blow, or at least the world that was not composed of chilly mud. That world was all too clear, but after several more impacts, even it slowly faded into darkness.