• Published 2nd Jul 2012
  • 5,357 Views, 224 Comments

From Order to Chaos - Neoandermcd



My life was simple, but everything changed after the chess game attacked...wait wrong story. This is the story of a man who tries to hold onto his sanity while participating in a game created by the gods.

  • ...
24
 224
 5,357

Big Trouble in Little Town Pt 1

Abandon.

That was the first thought I had as we reached the outskirts of the town. The buildings were old and rotted out as the occasional breeze would cause them to groan all at once. It was a miracle altogether that they hadn’t fallen apart. The farther we went in the more I question if Hunt wasn’t some crazy serial killer that killed his entire village and somehow coerce the D-dogs to gain the trust of random travels to follow him back to his town and then butchered them...huh I have a very active imagination.

The buildings in the center of the town showed what you’d expect normal ones to have: An Inn, bar and varies stores ranging from clothing to food. “Well welcome to Solitude...or what’s left of it” Hunt said as he lead the way.

“Its uh...nice” Derpy said with a sheepish smile.

“Nice! This place SU-HMHMHM” Derange tried to say but was effectively shut up courtesy of Minuette’s magic.

“No its fine I know this place is a dump right now” he said sadly.

“What happened?” Minuette asked while we continued our journey further into the town. Derange giving her an annoyed glare but was promptly ignored.

“I’m not sure except the fact that the D-dogs broke our agreement” Hunt said unsure.

“Wait what kind of deal?” I asked.

“Not to sure honestly” Hunt shrugged and continued “But all I know from the adults is that they broke it and forced us into slavery”.

‘Peculiar’ Jyggalag thought to me.

‘Yeah somethings not right. D-dogs agreeing not to make them into slaves sure plausible, but highly unlikely’ I thought back.

‘You know what's wrong? Me being denied the ability to speak!’ Derange cried out.

‘...I like you better this way’ I responded back.

‘As do I’ Jyggalag agreed.

‘Either tell her to let me talk or I’ll not only keep talking in our mind, but spam your retina with porn’ he threatened.

Not willing to take the chance on his threat I asked Minuette to release him. After much convincing she did though swore she’d do it again if he went out of line.

We were now entering the residential area I believe as more and more buildings looked like homes rather than places to gather. It didn’t differ from the area before maybe a bit...livelier looking, but not by much. “So out of curiosity was that mountain a volcano once?” my more intelligent clone asked.

“Wait you guys built your homes near a volcano? Isn’t that oh I don’t know dangerous” Minuette asked.

“No by the looks of it, it has been inactive for quite sometime” Silver chimed in while still caring Dinky on her back set filly looking over the village with a curious yet sad expression.

“Yeah the volcano has been inactive way farther back than when my grandpa first settled down here” Hunt said with a sense of pride.

“Oh so this town is still pretty young” I commented.

“Could explain why it’s not on the map and why help hasn’t come” Silver added on.

“That and we haven’t been able to send anypony to get help...besides me of course and the fact that the new Alpha has been sending in false reports” Hunt said with a hint of anger.

“Sending in false reports? That’s...different” Silver said shocked trying to mull over this new information.

“Hunt do you know anything, anything at all about this new Alpha?” I asked because as far as I knew most D-dogs were unintelligent. Sure the Alphas and Betas were probably taught better, but I didn’t think they be smart enough to think way in advance and make proper countermeasures for most situations.

“Well not much honestly” he said in deep thought. “From what I heard he had arrived about two maybe three months ago and suddenly made his way to head of the pack in less than two weeks of his arrival. After that he subtly cut us off completely from the rest of the world and we’ve been slaving away ever since”.

“Hmm I see” I said as we continued our journey deeper into the town a building in the distance that I assume was the place we where heading.

Same day in the den:

The sound of knocking could be heard as the Alpha awoke from his nap “Come in” he said half heartedly while shifting up to look at who would awake him from his rest.

The Beta came in and gave a respectful bow “Scouts come back and report. Group has arrived” he said.

“And where are they now” he replied back now more awake and interested in the conversation.

“Heading to where other slaves at”.

“Ah of course probably to gather information on what happened” he mused out loud. Getting up he walked over towards a nightstand, reached underneath it and ripped out a journal that was tapped to the underside of it. “Tell the scouts to give this to their leader and tell them to be on their best behavior. And while they're at it tell them to ask how long they’ll be lodging here and if they wish to speak with me that I’ll be here” the Alpha instructed as he held the journal towards the Beta.

The Beta gave a respectful bow once more and left ready to complete the task handed out to him by his leader. As the doors closed the Alpha went back to his couch, laid down and went back to his nap though a smug grin was plastered on his face.

My PoV:

Well I can safely throw out my early idea of how Hunt was a random social path as we arrived at the town hall. The actual building had been...upgraded I guess as makeshift rooms were added on allowing them all to fit in there comfortably. A variety of different kinds of ponies mild about as they aimlessly walked around though they all shared the distinct characteristic of being malnourished. At first they simply didn’t realize we there as if lost within their very mind, but soon changed the closer we got as they looked at us with expression that ranged from great joy to utter fear.

“Strange” Hunt said out loud as he looked around at the wandering ponies. “Usually everypony working at the mine digging deeper into the mountain”.

“Volcano” Minuette corrected calmly but then made a 180 “Also isn’t that still dangerous!”

“Inactive volcano that is now a mountain” Hunt corrected her correction.

“And unless they dig too deep into the volcano towards the mantle or heat source of the volcano causing it to become active once more then it should in theory become/be extinct” Jyggalag responded though add on “Granted it has to be about a thousand years or so for that to hold true”.

“Hmm” I said not truly participating in the conversation. When we first arrived I had been getting strange...vibes from the area, but passed it off anxiety. Now though I wasn’t too sure. Playing it off I would occasionally scan the area though came up with nothing. Though I kept telling myself that I was just being paranoid a small part of me disagreed and persisted that I keep looking for something. Of what I still wasn’t sure.

Alas I was brought out of it as a tired yet lovely female voice joined in on their conversation “What your friend here says is true in that with nowhere else to dig it has now become a simple task of gathering rather than digging and gathering though from what I’ve heard the Alpha plans to expand the mines by sending some of us towards the valley of spikes”.

Turning towards her I saw a yellow coated earth pony mare with basil green hair and moderate rose eyes. Her once luminous yellow coat was covered in dirt and mud while her frame was much better than the other malnourished ponies it wasn’t by much as her rib cages could still be seen. Her mane was disheveled, long and covered in filth forcing her to give the appearance of a druid. Her eyes though tired looking were still lovely to look at as a sense of kindness poured out from them. Looking towards her rear, in a non-perverted way, I saw that her cutie mark was that of violet wild flower next to a light grey grinding stone causing me to believe she was an alchemist or potion maker. Without warning Hunt ran over towards the mare and hugged her deeply. The mare responded in kind, tears ready to burst out from her eyes, and said “Welcome back Hunt”.

“I’m back Sis” Hunt responded back to his sister.

As we stood there watching the heartwarming scene, me of course making sure Derange doesn’t f*** this one up for a change, they release one another in a matter of minutes and turned their attention to us “Everypony this is my older sister Wild Flower and Sis this is Silver, Minuette, Derpy, Dinky, Derange, Jyggalag and Drake” he said making sure to point out who was who.

“A pleasure” Flower said giving us a short bow.

We all responded back in kind and followed her inside to allow us some needed relaxation from our journey. The inside is what I imagine it to be: makeshift beds, tables, bathrooms and a kitchen for the residents to live in comfortably as possible. As we navigated our way through more and more ponies seemed to realize that we weren’t some figment of their imaginations and followed closely behind us. We were eventually led to the assembly hall where chairs were pushed off to the side hazardously while mats and toys of different variety were placed about though this room hadn’t obviously been used in a while as a thin coat of dust covered the area.

“Sorry about the mess” Flower said as she pushed some toys away giving us room to sit “The children haven’t used this room in quite sometime” she said tiredly.

As we all sat down and got comfortable I didn’t realize how many ponies actually followed us until I looked up. The whole room was filled with a variety of different colored ponies each looking at us with a sense untold happiness.

As is as one my group realized we were being looked at like gods and goddess themselves and smiled nervously at them. “Why are they staring at us” Minuette asked with an awkward smile.

“These ponies have been suffering from slavery for months and until now probably gave up hope of help coming to their aid” Jyggalag said wearing a convincing smile to hide his nervousness.

“You know this would be so much better if A) they were all mares, B) had a bit more meat on them and C) if you guys weren’t here” Derange said with a thoughtful yet pervert look on his face.

Before any of us could tell Derange to never open his mouth again a dark tangelo male unicorn walked up. He had a light brilliant orange mane with lime green eyes and a cutie mark of a scroll tied together with a blue ribbon. “Are you the folks going to be the ones to help us with our situation” he said a bit anxiously though quickly corrected himself as he realized he was two inches away from my face. “Ah sorry if I came off as a bit high strung” He apologized backing away a bit and continued “Things have just been a bit tense around here is all and I hope that doesn't’ affect you helping us”.

“Uh” I tried to say, but he interrupted me.

“Oh yes sorry almost forgot my name is the Mayor” he said while shaking my hand.

“Uh right hi” I said awkwardly as he shook my hand vigorously and quickly released myself from his grip, but then realized what he just said. “Wait your name is just ‘the Mayor’?” I asked dubiously.

“That’s correct my good sir” he said flashing me a small smile. “When I was born my mother said that I had the face for running the town”.

“...right” I said slowly realizing that ponies had really, really odd ways of naming their kids. “Anyways about your situation” I tried to say only to get interrupted by Derange.

“Quick question Mayor. Do you know any Toms perchance?” he asked and continue “Especially those who are entrepreneurs and you take his ideas and twist them into bizarre or embarrassing situations”.

He blinked as if considering if the question was a serious one or not and answered warily “No I can’t say that I do”.

“Dam” Derange said while snapping his finger in disappointment.

Ignoring Derange’s randomness I turned my attention back to the Mayor “Okay so back to the problem at hand. I don’t know if we can-” I tried to say, but was interrupted by him once more.

“Can’t help us without knowing the whole tale? Right” He said while clearing his throat.

“What? N-”

“Well the story begins back in Las Pegasus to our very own Hunt and Flower’s grandfather Wild Luck” he said gesturing to the two siblings.

“Yes that nice, but-”

“But before that theres a thing or two you need to know about Luck” he continued completely ignoring me.

‘Now you know how I feel’ Derange thought as he laid back with his eyes closed ignoring the mayor all together.

“You see Wild Luck had well wild luck” he said and chuckled at his own pun. Knowing that I wasn’t going to get out of this I sat back and listened. Glancing at the others I could see Jyggalag and Minuette listening attentively, Silver looked bored, Derpy was...well Derpy and Dinky ran off to play with the other children with Hunt. “In that it would fluctuate at random time from either being the luckiest stallion in the world or to the most misfortunate soul to exist.The other thing you need to know about Luck is that he was an avid gambler.”

“He was in his mid thirties when it happened to him. For one week he had the worst possible luck know to pony kind. Losing his bits and possessions. His fiance cheating on him and leaving him for his best friend. Heck he had a gang of mobster chasing after him on of account of him looking like one of their employes who was running away with the bosses daughter” the Mayor spoke as if he was a bard telling a tale to a king.

“But that quickly changed!” he exclaimed and continued “Luck was at his wit's end as to the terrible luck that was plaguing him and was contemplating suicide at the time. As he was nearing the highest point in Las Pegasus he bumped into a drunken mule. At first he ignored the poor sob, but became interest when he over heard the mule talk about a mountain full of endless jewels. As he followed the mule who continued to bellow about it to random citizens. Luck convinced that this place was real outwitted the mule into telling him where it was. With nothing truly keeping him here he went to any friends and acquaintances who were the same and told them about the mountains with endless jewels. Of course they were skeptical at first, but eventually caved in and they all left Las Pegasus behind. The journey to this legend of a mountain was a perilous journey, one that should be remembered by all of pony history” he continued though paused to gauge our reaction which was a unanimous get to the point already kind of look.

“But for the sake of speeding things up we’ll skip that part of the tale” he said sheepishly and continued “After many trial and errors they eventually, and with a bit of luck, reached their destination. Excited about the prosper of setting up a new town to call their own they ran into a bit of a snag. You see a pack of D-dogs calling themselves Basanite resided within the mountain. When they first arrived the dogs tried to enslave everypony, but luck was with them as the dogs were too malnourished to really force them to do anything. After a few days of Luck and his group setting up their homes and dealing with the dogs he decided to make a deal with them. In exchange for some of their gems and if they promised not to enslave them they would bring the pack food and water. The Alpha was a stubborn dog, but caved in to the demands as his number were steadily declining. After that everything went smoothly. The dogs were being well fed and hydrated allowing them to dig further into the mountain while the ponies did of course help, but were now getting the benefit of gems and a new place to live. And everyone lived in peace and harmony” he said finally summarizing up the odd journey.

“That is until this new Alpha took over” Jyggalag said.

“Yes, over eighty or so years of peace and harmony between us ruined in less than three months thanks to him” the mayor said with disgust.

“Right anyways it was a very...interesting story, but if you would have let me finish earlier I don’t know if we can-” I tried to say once more only to be interrupted by the slam of the door.

“Help you without knowing real story” a diamond dog cried out as he walked into the room accompanied by three dogs. The ponies instinctively backed away from them though they made sure to stand in front of the children. As the dog made his way towards me I quickly got up and towered over him though he showed no sign of fear. He then did something unexpected as he got down on his knee, head hung down low and held out a green faded out journal. Warily reaching for it I took it and held it closer to get a better look. It was a dark faded out green thanks to the sands of time with a grey faded out streak going around its edges. Looking at the dog he rose back up slowly and said “Alpha said to give this to...guest so that you know what really happened here”.

Glancing around the room I noticed a few faces going pale at the site of the journal I held. “I-I thought you burnt that” the Mayor hissed quietly to a mare with a yellow mane and dark shade of pink coat.

Before the mare could respond the D-dog responded back “Alpha much smarter than dumb lying pony. Alpha knew you’d try and get rid of...of...uh evdwence?” he said confused looking for help from his pack

“Evidence” Jyggalag said.

“Yes that word evidance” he said triumphantly though he still messed up on the spelling. “Wanted to make sure that guest knew full story before siding with no good ponies”.

“As if he’d want to work with a bunch of flea ridden slaver skums like you” a mare in the audience shouted out a chorus of agreements could be heard.

Then they began to go back and forth like selfish little brats. Each pony throwing their wonderful vocabulary while the dogs counter back with their limited yet surprising effective rebuttals. Now I’d like to think of myself as a rather calm individual, a ration individual if you will, but moments like these are the kind of things that bug me to no end. Not that they both don’t have valid points, but it is when it doesn’t matter that piss me off. On one hand the town straight up lied to me. How do I know this? The way they reacted to this journal...either that or the Mayor has a bunch of embarrassing/illegal things in here. Though the dogs aren’t any better. For starters they are a bunch of slavers and though I normally don’t have a problem with that, which I explain a while ago, they made an agreement and broke it. Which is rather bucked up and unless they have a good reason to then I’d be inclined to side with the ponies because in the end slavery is a big no no.

Back to the pissing match between the two parties I was at my limit with them. I brought my fingers to my mouth and blew as hard as I could causing everyone in the room to flinch and cover their ears to block out the noise. Satisfied with the results I stopped and allowed them to regain their sense of hearing before I shouted out “I really, really hate it when people ignore me when I’m trying to explain something to them”. They all stood there confused waiting for me to continue.

Not letting my audience wait I continued “I have neither agreed nor disagreed with helping either side and as such I will remain neutral until I have gather all the possible information available and can then make a rational decision before I act”.

Everyone went silent at my proclamation of neutrality as they looked at me baffled including my fellow companions though excluding my other halfs and Silver. “What? Why would you do this to everypony” Hunt said as everyone parted ways to allow him to be the center of attention. “Saying such a terrible joke at a time like this of course you’re going to help us...aren’t you?” He said at first with great confidence though it shattered as he looked at me with dread.

“Hunt...” his sister said trying to comfort the young colt, but it didn’t work as he pushed his sister away, tears threatening to stream out, and screamed

“Why would you do this to everypony!? Not only did you give us false hope, but you also prevented me from getting somepony that would have helped!” he said pausing for a moment to catch his breath. He then resumed yelling at me with an angry yet hurt glare “But worse of all you promised that’d you help-” though I interrupted him by holding my hand up to him.

“Do not put words into my mouth child” I said in a low yet threatening voice while staring at him evenly. If he looked hurt before he was devastated now as he remained quiet while I continued “I never once said that I was going to help you or your town. I admit I said that there was a chance of us possibly helping, but it was never guaranteed. And it is even more complicated now with the...circumstances that our now presented before me”. The dogs had sicking smug looks plastered on their faces while some of the ponies had looks of great frustration aimed at me. I glared at the dogs and yelled “That doesn’t mean I’ll be helping you either you fleabags” while staring them down.

The dogs flinched at the abruptness of my voice though they were able to hide it pretty well. As if taking it for their time to leave they gave a bow towards me and said “If you wish to speak with Alpha he said only to ‘knock on door, though question remain what will be behind the door- a friend, or a tiger” he said cryptically. Then without another word they turned and left leaving us to head back to their warren.

As they left I felt the tension in the room decreased by a bit though there was still remnants left...pointed directly at me and my friends. Without even acknowledging their gaze I made my way towards the doors my companions following in line. Just as I was at the threshold of leaving I turned towards them with an even expression and said “Two days...by then I’ll make my decision”. With that declaration said and done we left. The sun was beginning to set as we made our way outside. Wordlessly we set off to find somewhere to sleep since I was quite certain the townsponies would not appreciate our company.

It didn’t take us long to find a place to set camp up. We were taking shelter in an abandoned home that looked rather new compared to the others leading me to believe it was vacant from the start. Though it was rather dusty inside luck was on our side as the water seemed to be turned on. As we set up some lanterns to illuminate the house we then set up our sleeping bags, cooked some grup up, ate and then sat around the lit chimney trying to keep warm.

As I brought a lantern towards me, while getting comfortable, I brought the journal up to me to read, but before I could get started Minuette cleared her throat to get my attention. Not wanting to hear her complain I lowered the book and gave her a flat look “Yes?” I asked her.

“What the hay was that all about?” she asked with a scowl.

“I have no ide-” I didn’t get to finish my smartass remark as she interrupted me.

“Bullshit” she said while making sure to cover Dinky’s ear and continued “You said we were coming here to help him yet-” though she didn’t get to finish as Jyggalag interrupted her.

“No you are making an assumption like that colt was” he said calmly and continued “Drake specifically said there might be a chance that we could help him and nothing more”.

“And so what we’re going to just let these ponies suffer while we sit by and do nothing! You’ve seen what they almost did to us think about what they been going through for the past three months!” she yelled while Derpy shook her head in agreement matching her friends scowl with her own.

Jyggalag was going to counter their point with his own, but I decided enough was enough and said “Then go ahead” while bringing the journal up so that I may read it.

“...Pardon?” Minuette asked confused.

As I finished the first page of it I casually turned the next page and responded back “Then go ahead it’s that simple. If you want to help them, then help them. I’m not your babysitter, lord knows I already have one, nor am I in charge of you the last time I checked. No the last time I checked you were a full grown mare able to make your own decisions” I said simple while turning the page once more. Without stopping my reading, since it was going to take a while, I asked “Silver didn’t you say we had about at least two weeks worth of food?”

She thought about it for a moment and said “Spread between us then yes, though for what you’re planning I’d say more like two to three days worth”.

“And if I recollect the nearest town would be Port Redstone though the closest military outpost that could help, in the event that we do help them, would be Trottingham” Jyggalag said while pointing to it on a map.

“Traveling wise it would take about one to two weeks and with no food we’ll have to scavenge or own, but it is plausible” Silver said already making plans.

“So just to make sure we can help them right?” Dinky asked innocently.

“I’m not going to stop you” I said with a shrug never pausing for a moment in my reading. Before I knew it the others were fast asleep. Probably tired from all the planning and talking. After a few more minutes of reading I decided to move elsewhere as to not bother the others. Making my way outside, as quietly as I could, I set up on the porch outside and took a momentary break from my reading to admire the sky once more. Luna just never seems to disappoint as the sky looked as beautiful as before. After a few more minutes of admiring the sky I then reopened the journal and resumed my reading.

Same evening back at the Den, Alpha’s PoV:

The scouts had returned and reported what had happen...it was most interesting. A creature of pure Chaos not wanting to add in on it, but to possibly alter it. There were many conclusions as to why he would do such a thing, but I already deduced why. Though nothing could ever be certain or simple, but if things worked out as they should then either he’ll leave us alone or become a nuisance. “Either way I’m left in quite the predicament” I said to no one in particular as I combed the top of my head with my claws. “And this book tells me nothing of use as well though in its defense it’s a few years out of date” I continued as I tossed the book of creatures down on the table. Getting up I stretched my limbs, a satisfying crack echoed out, and began pacing back and forth.

After a few moments of thinking, I sighed and flopped down on my bed. Though it wasn’t the most comfortable one I’ve ever slept on it was better than what the rest of the pack slept on. “So it appears the best course of action is to eliminate this threat even if he shows no signs of helping either side, but there are still too many unknown factors”. Yes still too many things unknown. How strong he is, How strong are his companion , How will his companions react if an foreign input is placed, and many more. “Or I could take his word that he’ll leave us alone” I thought and continued “So far, according to the report I received, he has followed his ‘rules’ to the letter and has shown that he doesn’t intend to break them otherwise”.

“But that is also a foolish assumption” said a raspy voice. Jumping up and readying myself to attack the intruder I noticed no one there. Searching the room for the creature behind the voice I came up with nothing until I felt a presence behind me. Reaching for my hidden dagger I felt a cold hand placed on my arm. “Peace child I’ve only come here to give you advice...though if you wish to continue I’ll obliged you and send you to your death” he said as he released my arm.

I believed those words as an unnatural chill went up my spine towards my brain that sent off alarms. Which was telling me that this man not only could keep his promise, but would not hesitate to do so. Placing my hand back to my side I turned towards the guest slowly and finally got a glimpse of him though it didn’t help at all. He was about the same height as me, though appeared taller as he crouched on my bed, and was wearing a black tattered cape that hid his true species, but if I had to take a guess it was something bipedal. I nodded in his direction to continue and with a curt nod of his own he did so “If there’s one thing you should know about Draconequai is that they are tricksters, liars and deceivers. Let your guard down for even a moment and it’ll spell the end for you” he said pausing for a moment and continued “But this one is different from the norm. If we were to compare him to a normal Draconequai then he’d be the crazy one which also makes him a greater threat”.

“So then I’ve no chance of winning? If you are here to waste my time then I’d appreciate it if you’d leave no-” I didn’t get to finish my sentence as I felt the cold sensation again though now it was around my lips. My eyes bulged out in surprise as the figure was now standing face to face with me, though his cape still obscured his face, I could now see at least something distinguishable about him...it was his eyes. His eyes were as black as the cape he wore while his pupils were a bloody shade of red like that of feline.

“Children should learn how to speak to their elders before they make such a comment” he said toyingly and released me from his grasp. Taking a step back while covering my lips on instinct he decided to continue while staring at the hand he used to cover my mouth. “Though I say he’d be more dangerous that is relatively speaking. The reason he is more powerful than his fellow brothers is that he can formulate schemes and plans to battle his foe, but he also loses the fundamental...no defining characteristic of what it means to be a creature of pure chaos. To do the unexpected, to cause confusion amongst the smartest of being and without that he can be easily predictable” he said as he slowly began to sink back into nothing.

“Wait then how do I face him?!” I cried out and gave chase though by the time I reached the distance between us he was already gone.

“A chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link” was his final words before his presence was gone.

It took me no longer than a second to understand what he was referring to. Plans and ideas began to spring out as I started to put them together to chose the one that would work out the best. With the finer points of my plan complete I couldn’t help but smile as I made my way towards the scouts to relay their next assignment.

Author's Note:

Sorry i'm a day late but summer classes plus work is kicking my ass. Also sorry about splitting this chapter in to two I, like I implied earlier, haven't had the time to really work on it. The good news is though that the other part is almost complete so you might get it early it just depends on the free time I have though I might save it up to help me get a head start on the next one who knows.