• Published 2nd Sep 2016
  • 1,783 Views, 52 Comments

Lunaverse: Galaxy Rangers - The Rangers Nevermore? - Rixizu

  • ...
8
 52
 1,783

Chapter 4

Lunaverse: Galaxy Rangers - The Rangers Nevermore?
Chapter 4
by Rixizu

Trixie blinked a few times and stared at Twilight in confusion. “Come again?”

Twilight took on a solemn tone and explained herself. “When I heard your name it sparked a memory. A shameful one I had completely forgotten. We have met before. A long time ago.”

Twilight paused to collect her thoughts. “Back when I was a foal I was always very curious.” She chuckled. “I suppose that’s never changed. Anyway, I was walking through the park when I spotted a filly setting on a bench reading a book. It looked like she was enjoying it. Suddenly she got up and left leaving the book behind her. Curious, I trotted up to it and read the title. It was one I have never read before. I forget the title sadly. I picked it up and started reading it. I became completely immersed in the book and before I knew it I was walking my way home with it.”

Twilight’s ears seemed to droop even more. “I spent all night reading it. I had completely forgotten it belonged to somepony else. When I realized this, I had no idea how I would find her and return it. I noticed it was a library book, so the next day I secretly snuck it back into the castle library. Much to my shame.”

"That filly was you, Trixie. You were loving that book and I selfishly stole it from you. You didn't even get to finish it!" Twilight looked Trixie directly in the eyes. "Do you think you could ever forgive me?"

Trixie started at Twilight. She had no idea what the mare was talking about. She didn’t have a single memory of this. “No! That isn’t why I’m mad at you at all!”

Twilight blinked. “T-then what is this all about?”

“You’re a spy of Duke Greengrass obviously!” Trixie almost shouted.

Twilight stared at Trixie bewildered for a few seconds before breaking out into laughter. “That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! You think I’m a spy Trixie? How did in Equestria did you ever get that idea?”

Trixie was a bit stunned. This was not the reaction she was expecting. She was expecting her to get defensive or angry and say something like, “You can’t prove that I’m really an agent for the Duke and I was sent here to spy on Galaxy Rangers to learn their secrets and weaknesses so Greengrass can exploit them!”

“Hmm. She’s a better actor than I expected.” Trixie thought. “That was almost convincing.”

“Okay, tell me this then. Why did you have a letter addressed to Greengrass in your bag?” Trixie smirked.

“Let’s see you get out of this one.” Trixie thought.

“You looked through my things?!” Twilight said mortified. Her face turned a shade of pink much to Trixie’s confusion.

"Yes, and I found some interesting things," Trixie responded, "like that letter. If you're innocent, why are you in contact with Greengrass? He doesn't contact anypony for no reason."

“Because his birthday is coming up. That’s it.” Twilight said after getting her wits back there was an edge to it.

Trixie laughed. She had Twilight trapped now. “Ha! You expect me to believe that? The Duke’s birthday is in almost two months!”

"Exactly," Twilight said simply.

“Wha?” That was all Trixie could say.

“This is a little last minute for me, but things are so hectic lately I almost forgot about it!”

“Two months. It makes no sense for you to do it this early!” Trixie proclaimed.

"I think it is good to be prepared. That way I can just send it at the right time with it all done and not worry about it." Twilight explained.

Trixie was baffled by this but decided to move on to her next point. "Fine, why Greengrass? You're telling me you just like to send random nobles birthday letters?"

“I wouldn’t send one to that prick if I had any choice in matter believe me.” Twilight had a look of disgust on her face. “He’s a distant cousin of mine. I may not like him, but it would be rude not to give him anything.”

Trixie’s jaw dropped. She didn’t know this. “O-kay then. Why did you lie about being a journalist?” Trixie asked. “I asked my assistant to find out if anypony named Twilight Sparkle was a member of the journalist guild. There isn’t any.”

Twilight hung her head. “Okay, you got me. I lied about that. I just wanted to ask ponies about the Galaxy Rangers, so I used me being a journalist as a way to get info. Plus, I thought it would be good training.”
Trixie raised her eyebrow. “Training?”

"For when I really become a journalist," Twilight explained cheerfully.

It was Trixie’s turn to laugh. “Yeah right. That’s a good one. Your father is a Night Court noble. Like you would lower yourself to a position like that!”

Twilight’s face turned to one of intense fury. The glare Trixie got was enough to make her back up a step. “Oh, and what makes you think you know what’s best for my life?!” Twilight demanded. She actually got into Trixie’s face.

“Well, um, you know being the daughter of a viceroy there is just so much you could do with your life!” Trixie backpedaled. “Surely a pony of your education and background would want to do more with your life than that!”

Twilight glare intensified and Trixie started to sweat. Twilight then sighed and looked dejected. “Figures, you’re just like my dad. All that matters are my rank and status.” She turned bitter. “Never what I want.”

Trixie realized that maybe she blundered into a touchy subject for the mare. It suddenly became very awkward. The sudden silence between the two emphasized that. Trixie couldn’t help her burning curiosity and decided to ask a question she probably best unasked.

“So, why do you want to be a journalist instead of say a member of the Night Court?” Trixie asked already preparing for the worse, but she had to ask it. It made no sense to her at all.

"So I don't end up like you obviously," Twilight answered.

“What?!” Trixie cried out indignantly.

“I like the truth. I like learning how the world works. I used to take apart clocks as a foal just to see how they tick. That is my passion. Finding the truth. I learned long ago that there is no truth in the Night Court. It has nothing for me. I thought it would be more fun to travel the world, meet new ponies, and uncover the truths of this world. There is just so much to learn, to discover.” Twilight gave a chuckle. “Actually, I’ve always wanted to start my own magazine. One that uncovers the scientific truths of the world and reports new scientific discoveries.”

“Doesn’t that sound so much better than living in fear of being backstabbed by some other noble and constantly lying and cheating to get what you want?” Twilight asked.

Trixie was a bit surprised. She never thought about journalism that way. She knew the truth could easily be twisted to whatever a pony wanted. Greengrass has done it hundreds of times, but Twilight seemed like the type of pony that would stubbornly dig up the truth regardless of the dangers and consequences. Trixie hated to admit it, but she completely misjudged the mare.

"That doesn't sound so bad," Trixie admitted, "and your father really doesn't approve?"


“Oh course not!” Twilight said full of bitterness. “He’d rather have me become the next Greengrass!”

Trixie really needed to stop asking these questions. She swallowed. “Look. I’m sorry about breaking into your things. It was...dumb of me. I got this idea in my head, and… maybe I should have thought it out a bit more.”

Twilight’s face softened. “It’s alright. I know it must be tough always having to look behind your back.” She extended a hoof. “Friends?”

Trixie hesitated for a moment before grabbing the hoof and giving it a shake. “Friends.”

"Good. I hope this teaches you a valuable lesson about not breaking into another pony's things and the importance of respecting a pony's boundaries and not jumping to conclusions." Twilight said in a tone that was a little too self-righteous for Trixie's liking.

After a little more chatter, the two departed for home. Trixie was glad to have a new ally. She was relieved to learn that Twilight never intended to learn the Galaxy Rangers identities and instead was more interested in learning how their powers worked. That might actually be useful because Trixie didn’t have a clue about that one and just saying magic wasn’t a satisfactory answer.

Trixie rubbed her face. She just wanted to get to bed and forget this miserable day ever happened. She ignored the pain in her body and limped home.

---

Twilight gave her notes a third read through. The residual magic left over by Pink's attack was interesting, but it didn't give her as much data as she liked. It was definitely powerful magic. She hardly believed the levels of residual magic left over from that one attack. She cursed herself for not being there when the attack was used. She didn't think her pocket magic detector would be able to handle that level of magic, though. She would have to order a better one in the morning.

Twilight wondered what could generate that level of power. It seemed unbelievable. She guessed her theory of it being the Elements of Harmony was probably correct. They did defeat Corona once before after all. She couldn't think of anything else it could be. Besides, Ponyville was next to the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters, the last place they were used by the princess herself. How did they get back here, though? Weren't they on display in a museum in Canterlot? Curious.

“Um, help please!” A mare’s voice cried out. Twilight spotted a pegasus mare with a pale grayish opal mane and a pale grayish persian blue coat with a pink bow on the top struggling with a bunch of packages on her back. It looked like they were about to fall. Twilight instantly rushed to her aid and grabbed them with her magic. “Thanks, you’re a lifesaver!”

“No problem. Always glad to help!” Twilight replied happily.

“Ugh, I have no idea what my sister even wants with all this stuff.” The mare complained. “She always orders stuff we don’t even need! I really should ban those mail order catalogs from the house! I’m Flitter by the way.”

“Twilight. Nice to meet you!”

"Sorry to be a bother, but do you think you could help me put them in the house?" Flitter asked a bit embarrassed.

“It isn’t a problem at all!” Twilight chirped.

The two trotted up to a small yellow townhouse with windows that had black frames. The windows had flower pots in front of them. Flitter opened the door with a key and two went inside. Twilight levitated the boxes behind her. It was furnished nicely but was a little messy. Books, papers, cans, and other various things littered the floor here and there.

Flitter rolled her eyes. “It’s my sister. She never cleans up after herself.” She closed the door behind her. “Put them right here.” She pointed towards a spot near the door and Twilight stacked the boxes neatly 3 by 2.

Twilight giggled. “Just like my brother. He’s hopeless.”

“Would you like some coffee? Or something else to drink?” Flitter asked.

“Coffee sounds great! Black. I’m going to have a late-night study session anyway.” Twilight said nodding.

"Sure. Be right back! Sit wherever you like." Flitter went into the back area towards what was presumably the kitchen. Twilight sat on a nearby brown couch. It only took a few minutes for Flitter to come back with a tray on her back with two coffee cups on it and a bowl of sugar cubes with a spoon next to it. She put it on a small glass coffee table in front of the couch.

Twilight grabbed a cup with her magic. “Thank you!” She sipped it. It was good. Nice and strong just like how Twilight liked it.

Flitter grabbed a few sugar cubes and put them in her cup. She took a spoon from the tray in her mouth and started stirring.

Twilight looked around. “Nice place you have here. Do you live here alone with your sister?”

Flitter stopped stirring and shook her head. “No, we have another roommate living here. Her name is Sweetcream Scoops.”

Flitter examined Twilight. “Say, aren’t you the one that was warning everypony about that monster earlier?”

Twilight nodded emphatically. “That’s right. It gave me quite a scare when it suddenly popped up in the library.”

Flitter tilted her head. “Huh, but I thought it appeared near Sweet Apple Acres?”

"When it appeared in the library, I teleported it there so it had less chance of hurting somepony and it would be easier to warn and evacuate ponies," Twilight explained.

Flitter looked astonished. “That’s amazing! Where in Equestria did you learn to do that?”

Twilight blushed. "Oh, in an old tome that I found a few years ago in a yard sale. It's a hard spell, but the fact it's so challenging makes it fun!"

Flitter nodded. “I see. I was right to choose you.” She grinned.

“What are you…” Twilight suddenly felt weak and sleepy. She could barely keep herself standing up.

Twilight looked at her coffee cup in sudden realization. “Drugs?!” She needed to get out of here! She lit her horn to teleport out, but suddenly felt a sharp pain in her horn. Out of nowhere Flitter suddenly closed the gap between the two of them and struck Twilight right on the top of her horn. The pain was deafening and she collapsed to the ground.

"Can't have you do that. Nice try, though." Flitter mocked.

Twilight felt her consciousness fading and everything went black.


---

Twilight awoke with her head throbbing. Everything was blurry. Twilight tried to get up but found herself unable to move. The ground felt very cold and made her shiver. Her sight gradually returned to her and she looked around. She was in a large room that looked like a cathedral. The room was lit by nothing but candles. The lighting was too bad for her to see the ceiling. It was nothing but pitch blackness. She could see something like runes on the ground in the shape of a circle. Next to it was a large silver orb on a richly decorated pedestal.

Twilight tried to move again. She heard something rattle. It seemed like her body was bound completely by chains. She tried to use her magic. Nothing happened. She could feel her magic, but her horn didn’t react to any attempts to use her spells. She was trapped.

“Say, have you heard that it’s possible for a pony to survive 200 milliamps of electricity?” Flitter’s voice startled Twilight. A gauntlet sparking with electricity was suddenly thrust in front of Twilight’s face. She backed away in terror the best she could.

Flitter’s grinning face appeared in front of Twilight. “Do you want to find out?” Twilight quickly shook her head. “Good. Don’t try anything. I know you're restrained, but I’m not taking any chances.”

“W-why are you doing this?” Twilight stammered.

Flitter just shrugged. “It pays the bills. Now shut up. The boss lady will be here soon.”

Twilight did as she was instructed. Flitter made sure to keep her shock gauntlet close and seemed to be daring Twilight to try something. She didn’t. Flitter had a mocking smile. In few moments, she heard hoof steps. She turned towards the sound and it was coming from a stone staircase. It sounded like multiple ponies were coming down it. Twilight froze when she saw the figure that emerged.

“Is this is the pony I asked for?” Corona, the Queen of the Sun asked coming in front of Twilight and examining her closely. Behind her was a purple baby dragon that was watching the scene apprehensively.

“Yep. I think you will be impressed.” Flitter replied. “She’s got magic skills I have never seen! Even that layabout Trixie can’t compare I think.”

Corona paused for thought and her horn started to glow a gold color. “Yes. I can feel it. A pony with a magical talent like this is very rare. She will be perfect.”

"You heard that?" Flitter said happily. "The boss lady thinks you're perfect!" Corona twitched in annoyance at being called that but said nothing.

“Perfect for what?” Twilight asked already dreading the answer.

"You will be the first pony to become one with a star beast and become a champion of the sun," Corona explained.

Twilight stared in horror. Star breasts were the very stars in the sky. Even the sun was one. Not much was known about them. Even the princess able to move them across the sky at will knew very little about them. They were very very old. Older than even the planet. They were alive, but it was not clear if they had sapience or not. Lately, the stars have been disappearing. This was attributed to Corona and her monsters. Somehow she was using them and their power to create monsters. Twilight gulped. And now she wanted to put one in her?

"Interesting cutie mark," Corona commented, "a star burst surrounded by five smaller stars." She smirked. "This will work nicely. I sense you already have a connection to the stars. The union should be a simple thing. Move her to the circle."

“Sure thing boss lady!” Flitter threw her shock gauntlet off and grabbed Twilight rather roughly and threw her into the circle. Twilight winced in pain when she hit the ground.

Corona walked up to a small balcony that overlooked the circle. Her horn glowed brightly. On the ceiling, stars appeared and suddenly started glittering. It would be pretty if Twilight wasn’t so terrified.

“Hmm. Instead of one star beast, I think I will grant you six instead. It would be rather fitting I think.” Corona said. The circle of runes started glowing around Twilight.

“You’ll never get away with this!” Twilight cried out defiantly. “The Rangers will stop you!” Twilight struggled against her bonds.

Corona sighed. “You paint me a villain like all of my sister’s subjects. Poisoned by her lies as you are. I just want best for all. I don’t even want the Galaxy Rangers dead.”

Twilight stopped struggling and blinked in surprised. “Wha?”

“No, I don’t want them dead. In fact, I think they will be our salvation.” Corona explained. “The Elements of Harmony granted them power that my sister and I have never seen.” She suddenly looked uncomfortable. “There has to be a reason. I worry there might be a crisis in the future and that is why the Galaxy Rangers were born. That is why they will only be subdued until I can convince them to turn to my side or by other methods.”

“Oh, so that’s why you haven’t used more drastic measures. Gotcha.” Flitter chimed in.

The ruins became brighter and six stars on the ceiling started to glow green and crackled with energy. Even without her horn, Twilight felt the intense magic in the room. It pulsed oppressively and it became hard to breathe. It was like nothing she had ever felt before. The stars shined even brighter and suddenly flew out and into Twilight. She gasped and collapsed to the ground and her body started jerking and contorting uncontrollably.

Pain. That was the only thing Twilight could feel. Her whole body burned with such intensity that she went blind. She screamed. She screamed until her voice became raspy. She would have given anything, done anything if it meant the pain would stop. Her whole body started glowing a black aura that actually seemed to be absorbing the light around her. Her eyes widened when she saw that her front hooves were growing feathers. Her screaming intensified. The black energy around her started seeping out of Twilight and into the orb next to the circle of runes.

"Welcome, my new servant. I dub thee Corvus, the raven.”