• Published 13th Aug 2016
  • 534 Views, 15 Comments

My Little Sound of Music - KidatHeart5



Based on "The Sound of Music". Princess Cadance plays Mare-ia in the Canterlot rendition of "Hinny of the Hills". Summer edition of my Seasonal Plays series.

  • ...
 15
 534

Prelude

Canterlot was livelier than usual, and it was all thanks to the summer play put on there. This year, it was Hinny of the Hills, a favorite musical in Equestria. What made it even more special was that all of the alicorn princesses would be performing in it! This gave them a much-needed break from royal duties for a while, but they were still consulted on the tough matters. However, they enjoyed doing Hinny of the Hills as recreation time.

Everypony was surprised to hear that the musical was tailor-made for the princesses so they would help produce the show. Nevertheless, they were given important roles: Cadance was Mare-ia, Twilight Sparkle was Liesl, Luna was Baroness Ella Schayder, and Celestia was Mother Abbess. The princesses also got to hoof-pick the right actors for the play. To the surprise of nopony, Shining Armor was chosen as Captain Von Scrapp. Thankfully, Flurry Heart was old enough to be left with a foalsitter.

Ponies and creatures from across Equestria flocked to Canterlot to see the second stage production to star an alicorn princess. They were so excited to see all four alicorns performing for the first time. Luna, however, was very hesitant.

She peered out from behind the curtain and saw masses of attendees arriving and sitting in their seats. She turned to her sister and asked, “Sister, are you sure I should be a part of this musical? I’m not very comfortable performing on a stage.”

Celestia responded, “Everypony needs to get out of their shell once in a while.” She smiled, “And besides, we wouldn’t have much fun without you performing with us.”

Discord then floated up to them, “And what about yours truly? The show can’t possibly go on without me.”

Luna rolled her eyes while Celestia smiled, “Of course. Where would we be without our Max Gaitweiler?”

Discord chuckled, “Oh, Celestia, you’re just too kind.” He then deadpanned, “I mean that, really.”

Meanwhile, Twilight was helping Starlight Glimmer get her outfit on for the part of Louisa. Starlight asked nervously, “Are you sure I can do this, Twilight? This is my first time acting in a musical, especially one that’s garnered national attention.”

Twilight reassured her, “Don’t worry. I felt nervous when I was playing Mary Cloppins. But Cadance told me a little secret.”

“What?”

“She said that every pony needed to do his or her part in order to carry a production through. A musical like this doesn’t need to rest on your shoulders as long as everypony else helps you lift that weight.”

Starlight smiled, “And we both know somepony who needs helping lifting the weight on her shoulders.”

Twilight knew exactly who her pupil meant.

When Cadance emerged from her dressing room in Mare-ia’s signature outfit and with a bun in her mane, she spun around as she asked Shining Armor, “Well, what do you think?”

Her husband smiled, “I still think you look as beautiful as ever, no matter which costume you’re in.”

“You’re so sweet, Shiny.” She gave him a kiss. “But I’m worried about the performance tonight. Will I be able to do my part well enough?”

Shining Armor chuckled, “Cady, stop worrying! You’re getting to be as bad as Twilight. Like I told her before Mary Cloppins started, we all got your back on this one, okay?”

“I’ll take your word for it.”

In another dressing room, Fluttershy was helping Zephyr Breeze get his outfit on while he dramatized his lines.

The tall Pegasus recited, “Oh, Captain, my Captain. Oh, Captain, my Captain. Oh, Captain, my Captain!”

Fluttershy said, “Um, Zephyr? I don’t think that’s in the play.”

Zeph said, “Oh, lighten up, big sis! I’m preparing for my big debut in the acting world! Although it’s frankly a small part. You know, this theater gig has got me thinking.”

“Uh-oh. What is it this time?”

“Lights, camera, action! I should become an actor and work my way up, up, up! Of course, this means I’ll have to ditch mane therapy.”

Fluttershy glared at him, “Zephyr Breeze…”

Zeph nervously chuckled while holding his hooves up, “Just kidding, sis! Just kidding!”