• Published 13th Aug 2016
  • 19,440 Views, 231 Comments

The End. - Frozen Feathers



After the events of Anon-A-Miss, Sunset is left feeling alone and isolated. How can she cope with her worst fear coming true? Loneliness.

  • ...
20
 231
 19,440

Through the portal

Swirls of color popped before Sunset’s eyes as her body was stretched through the portal. She would’ve screamed from the pain if she could have. No air entered her lungs and her muscles refused to act on her commands. All she could do was endure, comforted by the thought that it would end soon.

After what felt to her like hours, Sunset finally felt something solid. She forced her eyelids open, instantly regretting it as the bright light burned her over sensitive eyes. She endured a burning in her chest before she remembered she had to breathe, and each pull and push that had once come without thought felt like torture. Minutes passed of her lying there, wherever there was, breathing.
She very, very slowly opened her eyes again and saw fields of shimmering blues and purples. The ground below her was hard and cold, but she wasn’t able to feel the discomfort through the agony in her muscles. She slowly let her eyes close once more, focusing on a small beat in the ground growing steadily louder. It sounded oddly familiar. It took her far too long to recognize them as hooves.
She forced her eyes open to see a few vaguely equine shaped blobs approach, the middle being a bright pink. Their voices reached her ears, though they sounded muffled and caused an intense ringing. She couldn’t even consider trying to respond. The best she could do was groan at them. The voices grew louder and more urgent and she whimpered, wishing to simply cease her existence. Her entire body felt as though it was on fire, and she had yet to realize that wasn’t normal.
Finally, she felt something grab her and hoist her limp form into the air. That got a response. The screams that wouldn’t come before loosed themselves from her throat. Celestials above, was movement supposed to hurt that much? Startled, the guard that had grabbed her with his magic faultered and she flopped back onto the ground, eyes shimmering and chest heaving. Urgent voices pierced her head, the ringing growing continuously more intense. After... well, Sunset wasn’t sure how long, a new sensation broke through the pain. It was... relief. A cool sensation moved slowly across her skin and into her muscles. Slowly, ever so slowly, her entire body relaxed. Tears welled in her eyes from the sheer relief and she didn’t have the will power to stop them. With the pain gone, her mind slipped back to the folds of unconsciousness.

***

Floating. Sunset was floating. She could feel herself rising back to her body before even remembering she had a body. All at once, the weight hit her and she felt the mass of her limbs like lead. Her head swam as she cracked her eyes open. She blinked a few times as the ceiling above came into focus. She heard rustling around her and she attempted to lift her head, but was only able to twitch upwards and fall back, a groan escaping her throat.

“Sunset?”

Sunset took a deep breath and forced her head up, eyes scanning the room. Purple and pink sat beside her.

“Oh, let me move these up for you!” The same voice as before said. Sunset felt the pillows shift behind her and sighed as her head rested against them once more. She focused on the lavender pony leaning over her. She was so familiar.

“T-Twilight?”
Pink eyes flashed before her. Sad and worried, but hopeful. Twilight smiled at her.

“Hi, Sunny.”

Sunset breathed deeply.

“Where am I? Wh-what is this?”
A small gasp from the other side. Sunset’s head swiveled to the other side. A pink mare sat in a stool. Her tri-toned hair fell in loose curls over her... oh. Wings. Wings and a horn. Basic knowledge came back and Sunset realized this was a new princess. She would’ve bowed if she were able to, but could only manage a weak nod.
“You’re in the Crystal Empire, my kingdom. It lies on the northern edge of Equestria.” The pink alicorn explained kindly. Sunset nodded, trying to conjure a mental map of the nation and failing.
Twilight smiled fondly at the unicorn and gently pulled her into a hug, wings folding around Sunset’s back.
“Welcome home, Sunny”
Unable to find the words to respond, Sunset turned her head towards a breeze tickling at her cheek. She stared out the open window. Although she didn’t recognize any of the surrounding town, she watched as the ponies far below went about their days. Birds sang and chased each others silhouettes across the sun. The sun... Her sun... tears welled in Sunset’s eyes again and she slumped back into the pillows.
“O-oh...” a tear trickled down the curve of her muzzle. Twilight placed a hoof against Sunset’s shoulder and she looked down at it, following it back to the face of its owner.
“You should get some rest. Coming through the portal really did a toll on you. After you feel ready, we can head back to Cant-“
Twilight was cut off as Sunset suddenly began to stand. She shot a worried glance at Cadance who merely shrugged before helping to make sure Sunset didn’t tumble head first into the Crystal.
“I’m perfectly fine. I’m completely ready. Please, I can handle a train ride” sunset pleaded. Before Twilight could answer however, Cadance lightly cleared her throat. Both mares turned to look at her.
“I’m very sorry, but I’m afraid I must take my leave now. Unfortunately, running a kingdom leaves one with very little free time” Cadance stood, wings ruffling slightly. She walked around the bed to stand beside Twilight, using her wing to pull her into a hug. “Welcome home, Sunset Shimmer.”
Sunset instantly dropped into an awkward bow from her perch on the bed.
“Thank you, Princess”
Both Cadnace and Twilight chuckled, the former casually waving a pink hoof at Sunset. “Please, just call me Cadance. I look forward to seeing you again.” She turned and left the room, flanked by two previously unnoticed guards. Sunset took note of two more guards standing at attention on the other side of the room. She looked questioningly back at Twilight who sighed and sat on the cold crystal again. “Those are my personal guards. These come with quite the price” she bitterly smiled, half spreading her large wings. Sunset nodded in understanding before looking back at the guards. The first looked just as sunset would’ve expected. An amber Pegasus mare clad in golden armor, a small spear tucked below one of her wings. The other, however, looked far different from any guard- or pony, for that matter- that Sunset had ever seen. She had cool gray skin and purple armor. A red, curly mane fell across her shoulders and two ivory horns sprouted from behind her ears. Leathery bats wings were tucked at her sides and a long, serpentine tail swayed slowly behind her. Slitted emerald eyes flared at her, and Sunset gulped.
Twilight loudly cleared her throat and the guard went pink, gaze shifting to the floor. Sunset looked back at Twilight.
“Are you absolutely sure you’re ready? It’s reallly no trouble to stay here and rest for another day...” she trailed off. Sunset looked at her and smiled, nodding. She was finally going home.

Author's Note:

FINALLY. This got deleted immediately after being finished bc my phone bugged out so I had to re-type it. This story will be finished in the coming months bc I’ll finally be on summer break. I hope you guys liked! (Also yes I inserted myOC. I’ve been considering doing a story for her after this and wanted to introduce her. She doesn’t play any part in this story though!)