• Published 13th Aug 2016
  • 19,439 Views, 231 Comments

The End. - Frozen Feathers



After the events of Anon-A-Miss, Sunset is left feeling alone and isolated. How can she cope with her worst fear coming true? Loneliness.

  • ...
20
 231
 19,439

First Day

Sunset groaned as she woke up. She grabbed her phone off of her night stand and turned off the alarm before swinging her legs off of the side of her bed. She cringed as her feet touched the cold, bare wooden floor. She padded across the room and into the bathroom where she slowly brushed her teeth and combed through her mess of hair. She splashed some cold water onto her face and toweled it off. She left the light on as she left the room and made her way down the hall and to her kitchen. She poured herself a small bowl of cereal and sat on her couch, scrolling through her phone. She opened her messages, instantly deleting all of the new ones and opening the last one.

The name read "Doctor Shine" and she typed down all of her symptoms for that morning, how she was feeling, and what she'd eaten. She was forced to report to them every morning, or else they'd send someone to check up on her. She set down her phone and stood, moving to place her now empty bowl in the sink. She grabbed her pill sorter and opened the one labeled with a large "M". She dumped a few pills into her hand and swung her head back, popping them into her mouth and taking a long drink from her water. She cringed at the medicine taste as she walked back into her bedroom to finish getting ready for school.
***

Sunset sighed as she pulled into her school parking lot. Anxiety pooled in the pit of her stomach making her feel like she would shatter at any moment. She had shown up early in hopes of avoiding the majority of the other students while on her way to class. It actually worked, for the most part. She only got a few stares in the halls from the other kids who showed up early. She made her way to her first class, Calculus. The door was still locked, and the room was dark. She sighed as she crossed to the opposite end of the hallway and sat down on the floor, pulling out her phone. She had a single text message from Dr.Shine. She opened it and scanned the message.

"That's great to hear, Sunset! Don't forget to take your other medications with a full lunch. Also, don't forget about our appointment on Saturday!"

"Sunset?" a voice called out from the end of the hall. Her head snapped up from her phone. Her calculus teacher stood at the end of the hall, hands on her mouth and eyes brimming with tears. "I-I, You didn't show up to class and I just thought you were sick, because you had been acting weird the day before and then I heard the rumors, that you had... but I didn't believe them! I mean, I didn't think that it was even possible for you to have, but then I got the email and I knew they were true and I-I just- oh god Sunset!" she cried as she slowly sank to her knees, sobbing into her hands.

"Ms. Abbott," Sunset had jumped to her feet and rushed forward to wrap her arms around her teacher. "Ms. Abbott I'm so sorry. I- I didn't think that... I'm sorry. It's okay, I'm here now so please calm down, okay?" Sunset hadn't even thought of Ms. Abbott before... everything. Ms. Abbott had been one of the few people who had always believed in her. She never thought for a second that Sunset was AnonAMiss. She was one of the few Sunset would truly miss.

She held her trembling teacher as a few of her own tears escaped. The guilt was back in full force, churning and roiling in her core. Ms. Abbott clung to her until her sobs slowed to just a few trickling tears moving quietly down her face. She took a deep breath and pulled back, grabbing Sunset's face and cupping it in her hands.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, understood?" She asked Sunset, a bit of teacher voice coming through. Sunset nodded and she sighed, pulling her into another loose hug. "I was so scared, Sunset." was all she said before pulling away again. She stood and offered Sunset a hand up, which she took gratefully. Ms. Abbott moved to unlock the door to her classroom while Sunset snatched up her bag. She entered the room behind her teacher and smiled at the familiar room.

She moved to walk back to her old seat in the back corner, but Ms. Abbott cleared her throat and Sunset turned. An extra chair was pulled up across from her at the main desk. She sat in it and looked at her teacher.

"What happened, Sunset?" she asked with a hoarse voice. Sunset sighed and sat back in the chair, staring up at the ceiling as she wasn't able to look at her teachers broken face anymore. She sat in the silence and took a few minutes to gather her thoughts before speaking.

"You remember the Anon-A-Miss incident a few months back, right?" she asked. Ms. Abbott nodded back, a sour look crossing her face. "Well, most of the students assumed that I had been the one behind everything. Even... even my best friends" She took a shuddering breath, trying to put a cap over her emotions. She'd been telling the same story to doctors for weeks, so why couldn't she do it now? "I have... had thoughts of suicide before. But, my friends helped. I had people who I'd hurt if I were to... leave. And I just couldn't stand to think about it. And then we had a big fight and they made it pretty clear we weren't by any means 'friends' anymore" She breathed deeply, trying to stop the stray tears. Ms. Abbott reached across the desk and handed her a few tissues, which she accepted thankfully. She took a moment to wipe her eyes and blow her nose before continuing. "I was alone and back to where I'd been before, except I didn't have my shields up like I had before. It hurt. It hurt so bad."

Ms. Abbott took her hand and squeezed gently. "You don't need to go on with what happened next." Sunset nodded and swallowed thickly. Her throat felt dry and her heart felt heavy. The morning bell rang and both jumped up. Sunset stood and thanked her teacher before making her way back to her seat. She got looks and whispers when others walked in, but she refused to look up. She kept her eyes firmly glued on her phone screen, an unreadable expression on her face. She couldn't have been more relieved when class started.
***

Sunset wandered around her schools halls, trying to find an abandoned place to eat at. She had walked into the cafeteria and it had seemed that every pair of eyes was on her. They probably were. She turned and walked steadily from the room, tremors moving through her body when she'd gotten far enough away. She eventually found a chair that had been pulled into the hall and sat, pulling a small bag out of her backpack. Inside was a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a small plastic container holding a few bright pills. She looked around to make sure she was alone before dumping them into her palm and popping them into her mouth. She swallowed them with a swig of her water before ripping into her sandwich. She was starving. She finished it quickly and stood, crossing to the end of the hallway to throw the plastic bags into the trash bin located there. She made her way back to her chair and sat, pulling out her phone and scrolling through some news article. She twitched her head up when she heard feet approaching. A lot of them.

"She was in here, guys, I swear! I just saw her throw something away!" a familiar raspy voice drifted through the hall.

"Well, she coulda moved now, couldn't she?" Came another familiar and agitated voice.

"Yeesh, AJ, calm down" replied the first. They were getting nearer now.

Sunset's breath hitched in her throat, anxiety coursing through her. Air felt too thick to pass through her lungs as she sat there, frozen in fear. Five girls rounded the corner and all stopped in unison. They stared at Sunset. Sunset stared back at them.

"Sunset, I-" were the only things out of Rarity's mouth before Sunset jumped up. She grabbed her bag and ran down the hall. She could her footsteps and shouts coming after her as she made her way down the twist of dull brown carpet and beige walls. She made her way to the back exit of the school and flung the doors open. The footsteps had stopped at the school, but she didn't. She tore down sidewalks, leaving leaves floating behind her. She didn't stop. She couldn't stop. She was flying.
***
She slammed the door behind her and fell against it, heaving. She knew she shouldn't have exerted her body like that, but she didn't care. In her panic, all she could think of was getting out and getting out fast. She made her way to her bedroom and dug in her mess of blankets until her hand hit something solid. She pulled the book out and sat down had on her floor. Her hand searched her pockets frantically for a pen before writing.

You said I should come visit you in Equestria one day. Does that offer still stand?

She closed the book and sent the message, sighing. She stood after a few minutes and made her way to the kitchen. She really needed some water.

Author's Note:

I feel like some of you guys would make a great Angelica Schuyler. I will never be satisfied... with whatever I post. I said I'll finish this story and I will, so calm your tits. Thank you.