• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 15,354 Views, 270 Comments

A Doorway to Another Place - Java Joe



A magical doorway opens a whole new world for Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
46
 270
 15,354

Goodbye Equestria

The morning of June 1st, 2013 was going to be a special date Rick thought to himself. It had been one year since the linking spell had linked his door to Equestria. He never went in much for significant dates but he had a reason to now. He had spoken to Pinkie Pie about this, there would be a special breakfast set up when they woke up, followed by a Pinkie Party a short time after. It was a package deal, but Rick did manage to convince Pinkie to keep it small and only invite Twilight's closest friends.

It being a Saturday and while he didn't have to work anymore he still made sure that his schedule was clear so they could spend it together, depending on whether or not Twilight wanted to spend it in Equestria or on Earth he had a plan for both which would keep them occupied for the rest of the day. This would be followed by a nice dinner and finally an evening of star-gazing, a private showing of Twilight's favourite movie and if things went well a proposal of marriage. It was going to be perfect.

As usual her side of the bed was empty as she had awoken before him and had gone back to Equestria. In any case, it was about time to get things started. Rick smiled knowing how much Twilight would appreciate what he did for her today.

He opened the door only to be confronted with a sight he had not seen for the last year, the hallway leading from his bedroom to the rest of the apartment. Rick froze for a moment trying to understand what it was he was seeing or technically what it was he was not seeing.

He closed the door and opened it again, but the hallway remained there. Starting to panic, he opened and closed the door over and over in a vain attempt to recreate the connection but aside from making some dust bunnies dance across the floor nothing else happened. He glanced down where the ethernet and power cables had run from his room to her laptop, they had been neatly cut where they ran through the portal and now lay broken and useless on the floor. It felt like the world fell out from beneath him, but actually it was only his legs giving out as the weight of the situation started to make him realise what had happened. She was gone, trapped on the other side of the doorway on another world, somewhere in another universe. The reality of it was still too unreal for him and it wasn't until he dragged himself to his chair and reached for a coffee that he caught sight of her cup and his world came crashing down. The tears he had been fighting back suddenly burst forth and let the pain and the loss wash over him.

The rest of the day was spent in a bit of a daze. He poured over the pictures they had taken, sometimes gently running his fingers over the screen and tracing her features. He read the e-mails and messages they had sent to each other over and over again reading her part in his mind with her voice. He wandered aimlessly through his apartment, gently picking up the items she had left behind and holding them close as if he was holding her. Eventually he just collapsed on the couch, totally drained of any energy, lay his head back and stared at the ceiling. He knew he'd eventually get over this, but it was going to take more time and effort than he had at the moment.

Hours later, he was dozing on the couch having not moved from where he was when he felt some soft fingers gently touch his face. He started and opened his eyes to see a very human and very naked Twilight Sparkle.

She stood there in front of him, unashamed, her face all puffy and eyes red from crying but in that moment she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his life. He sat there frozen for a moment, afraid to make a sound or move in case the spell would be broken and she'd disappear like the dream he thought she might be.

With a trembling hand, he slowly reached out to her and took her hand. It was real and warm and her fingers closed tightly around his. That was all it took, he jumped up off the couch and held onto her in a fierce embrace as she held him back. Both of them crying tears of joy, she rained kisses all over his face, he spun her around, laughing through the tears as if all the problems in his world had suddenly disappeared.

Giddy and out of breath, he put her gently down and drank in the sight of her. He opened his mouth to speak, she simply placed her finger on his lips and simply said, "I really need a cup of coffee".

Covered now in one of his T-shirts as her naked form was a little too distracting at the moment she gratefully drank from her cup. "I never thought I'd ever have this again, " she said as she took another sip.

"So what happened?" Rick asked. "I woke up this morning and the portal was gone."

Twilight sighed and said, "it was a little longer than just this morning." She looked down, took hold of his hands, gently running her fingers over his. She sighed and said, "it's been over 3 months for me".

Rick was of course stunned by this. All the time they had been together, time had been synced on both their worlds. It might have only seemed like a couple hours for him, but it had been so much longer for her. He felt an incredible need to hug her right now which he did and she returned gratefully.

After a few moments she pulled back and related the story to him.

She had awoken early that morning because she wanted to surprise him. It had been a year since the portal had been created and she wanted a way to celebrate the day. So she had planned a special breakfast set up, there would be a small party later with her close friends and she had managed to clear her schedule for the rest of the day so they could spend the whole day together. Everything was set, the table was ready and she knew he would be waking up soon but she was too excited to wait. She walked back to the door, opened it and was greeted with a blank wall. She closed it and opened it again and again just saw the blank wall. Twi cried out in alarm and just started opening and closing the door as fast as possible, but it solved nothing. The portal had disappeared and her lover was trapped on the other side.

She fell to the floor, realisation hitting her like a brick and deep, wracking sobs came from deep within her as she started to cry. Spike immediately rushed for help and her friends did their best to console her.

Twilight just sat there, rocking slowly back and forth while hugging one of his t-shirts to herself as this was the last link to his world that she had. It was her lifeline and she was not willing to let go.

In the end it was Pinkie who naively asked, "I don't get it, she made a doorway once. Why not make it again?"

TWilight heard this and with a slightly unhinged look on her face started rummaging around for the scrolls and books she had used last time. All the time muttering to herself, "yes! I need to repeat the spell! I can do the same exact thing I did last time and we'll be together again!"

Her friends slowly backed away from the crazed filly who was currently having a bit of an argument with herself over whether she was standing exactly here or there when she cast the spell. The stress was causing her mind to go and with it possibly her sanity. Luckily as she was rushing too and fro searching for everything she tripped, hit her head and knocked herself out. Actually AJ stuck out her hoof as Twi raced past.

"Ah had to do it. Poor filly was gonna worry herself sick."

It was agreed a doctor should be called and the Princess notified at once.

Twilight opened her eyes and immediately wished she hadn't. Her head throbbed but a moment later she remembered everything that had happened to her today which only made her feel worse. She was lying, restrained in a hospital bed and felt something around her horn. She was unable to summon her magic, possibly a dampener had been placed there to prevent her from doing something stupid. So she just lay there as tears streamed down her face but she didn't care. She felt hollow inside as if somebody had simply torn out her heart and nothing could ever fill that void again. She felt utterly and completely alone which was odd considering that there was another pony in the room with her but in her state she wasn't aware of this.

A little while before, the princess had been alerted and came to see her favourite student as soon as she had heard. Her friends filled her in on what happened and why Twilight now found herself in this position.

"Oh my poor student," the princess said sadly. "That she should suffer so. I will admit that I wish that man had never come to our land."

"Beggin yer pardon princess, but in the past year since he come to Ponyville ah ain't never seen Twilight so happy. And gosh darn it he weren't a bad feller. He was a real hard worker who helped out on the farm when needed and them fingers of his sure came in handy at times."

"Yeah! And if it wasn't for him AJ and I wouldn't have gotten back together. And he showed me all sorts of cool new things and ways to fight!" Dash said as she did karate kicks in the air.

"Your majesty, we all feel this way. He loved Twilight Sparkle and she loved him. To say you wish he never showed up would be the same as wanting her to have missed out on something good. I'm sure that she would agree if she could." Rarity added.

The Princess sighed as she knew they were right. He had impressed her with his ways, his knowledge and the fact that he made her favourite student so happy. She dismissed the others and made her way into Twilight's room to await her waking up.

As Twi lay there, tears streaming down her face, she felt a tissue brought up to wipe away the tears. "Who?" she called out, stuggling to see. The princess walked forward, "it's just me my student" she said. "I came as soon as I heard."

"Oh Celestia! " Twilight called out as she started crying again. "He's gone forever! This was supposed to be a celebration and I'll never see him again."

Celestia calmed her down as much as she could, sat there an listened to her student about what she wanted and finally cast a small spell to get her to relax and finally get the sleep she needed. The poor child had been through so much today and needed rest. Come tomorrow they would talk some more and hopefully be able to work on a solution.

She found the others in the waiting room, all of them looked up expectantly when Celestia walked in. "I will be leaving now, Twilight Sparkle is currently asleep and she will remain asleep until I get back."

"Where are you going?"

"Back to Canterlot. I have a lot of work ahead of me and hopefully tomorrow I will have an answer." They all bid her farewell and one by one walked morosely out the hospital. Even the normally ebullient Pinkie Pie was strangely quiet and reserved, well at least for her. There was no spring in her step but she trotted along with a rather serious un-Pinkie look on her face. This was something that not even a Pinkie Party could fix, and when that wasn't possible it was pretty bad.

The next afternoon a visibly tired Princess Celestia came back to the hospital with news that she hoped her student wouldn't want. She didn't want to lose Twilight Sparkle but knew that in the end it would be her decision and that she most probaly would want to be with her love no matter what the cost. She approached her sleeping form, gently touched her horn to Twilight's and the young pony slowly woke up. She looked blearily around the room and finally focused on the Princess before recognising where she was before slumping back down on the bed.

"It wasn't a dream was it?" she asked. "He's really gone isn't he?" her voice thick with emotion.

"Yes my little pony, but there is a chance that he might not be lost to you forever."

Twilight suddenly brightened at the Princess's words. She would see him again! "How?! When?! Why are we waiting here?!? Let's go do this now!" Twilight said as she scrambled to get up. The Princess gently pushed her back in bed and said, "let me finish. There is a chance we can do this but it will take time, such things are not done quickly. The time must be right and everything must be in alignment if it has a hope to succeed. However, this comes with a price."

"What is it? I'll pay anything, I don't care. If it means seeing him again I'll do it, " Twilight pleaded.

The Princess sighed as this was not going as she had hoped. "Twilight. If this has any chance of succeeding it means you'll never be able to set hoof in Equestria again. You'll be a pony, on Earth with none other of your kind. What kind of life could you lead there looking like that? Rick was a fine man, but not everypony here in Ponyville accepted him. I know he loves you and you love him, but how understanding are his friends and family? How will people walking down the street react to the two of you?"

Twilight thought about this for a moment and then said the words that nopony would have thought she'd ever say. "Then make me human".

Needless to say the princess was quite shocked and said it was impossible. Twilight still had something to show her so she asked if Celestia could remove the dampener from her horn and she could prove that it was, at least in theory, possible. Nopony other than Rick had ever seen her change so there was no reason to believe her until she proved it to them. Okay, it was still a temporary spell and she could only maintain it for a couple hours at most but the Princess was practically a god. If anypony could help her, she could.

Her horn started to glow and the glow spread over her body with the familiar tickle. Slowly her limbs started to grow, bones shifted, her muzzle flattened, organs changed position and size and finally after about a minute there lay a human woman instead of a lavender unicorn. Her eyes were the same colour as was her hair but the rest of her was human all the way down to her toes. Celestia stared at her with a combination of disgust & wonder. It's a hard expression to properly pull off, but she did it like a champ.

"This was a spell I came up with just a few months ago. For the longest time Rick wanted to show me his world but I couldn't go very far looking the way I did. This allowed me to go out and see the sights even if it was only for a short period. It's not an illusion, this is actual transmogrification. But I can't maintain this for more than a few hours. My magic is used up and I revert to my pony form. But you could help me make this permanent!" Her eyes looked at the Princess, pleading with her for help.

Celestia sighed, she knew that her cause was lost and her student would truly try whatever was necessary. "Rest now, I'll ask that they release you tomorrow. I'm not going to make you a promise, but if this is truly what you want I will do everything in my power to help you in this one dream."

And so she did. The spell to permanently change Twilight Sparkle into a human didn't take much time to create, in fact there already was a spell in the archives which could turn any creature into a pony permanently. All Celestia did for this one was reverse it. The rest of the time was spent waiting for the universes to come back into alignment at the right spot. Every universe that exists, intersects with others along the way and there are times and events that can facilitate travel from one to another. Of course the location must also be right. It was during one of these freak times that Twilight Sparkle cast her linking spell that linked Equestria and Earth. The two universes were close and were intersecting at that point in her library and Rick's room. The spell effectively cemented those two bits together but eventually the stress was just too much and the two universes separated at that one point effectively closing the portal forever. But if you know what you're looking for, it is possible to force a tear open and send something through. The problem with this is, reality doesn't like it and the two universes are flung far apart possibly never to meet again. This is why it was a one way trip and Twilight Sparkle needed to be sure that this is what she wanted.

But her mind was made up. She didn't just want to be with the tall, slightly strange human. She needed to be with him. Knowing that she would see him soon made the intollerable slightly less intollerable. Oh her friends tried to convince her otherwise, that eventually she'd forget about him and meet a nice mare or stallion and most of all stay in Ponyville. When that didn't work they tried to talk about the Elements of Harmony and how they'd be useless without her. She countered that by saying that there were other unicorns out there who could take her place. There wasn't anything special about her that some other filly couldn't do. The next step was their friendship and how they'd all miss her when she was gone. She said she'd miss them too, but a part of her soul was missing and until she was re-united with Rick, she would never be complete. Eventually her friends came to accept her decision even if they didn't like it.

Finally it was the day, Pinkie Pie had arranged a going away party and while there was cake and punch and all sorts of party games, it felt like a very somber affair. The fillies talked, cried, had ice cream and more than one begged Twilight Sparkle to stay knowing that it was all in vain. Spike took it the worst. He was losing the best friend he ever had, hell he was losing the one person that had been like a sister to him all these years. He would continue to look after the library in her place, not that he could ever replace her. Rarity, stepped forward and said she'd look after the young dragon. It was a touching moment as all ponies there knew of the budding romance between the two of them but this was the first time Rarity had spoken of such a thing out loud.

One final tearful goodbye, Twilight Sparkle with the help of Celestia transformed permanently into a human and vanished from Equestria forever.

"And then I appeared in your bedroom." She smiled wistfully.

"I can't believe you gave all that up for me. For the first time in my life I really don't know what to say."

She sat on his lap and placed her arms around his neck. "Are you happy to see me?" She asked.

He kissed her, said, "more than you could imagine" and kissed her again just in case she didn't understand the first time.

"Do you love me?" she asked, with a shy grin.

"Yes my sweet little filly. I love you, " he replied.

"Good. Then nothing else needs to be said. But there is one more thing I need from you right now."

"What's that?"

"I've got three months worth of hormones that I need to release and I really want to put this body through a workout." She took his hand in hers and led him to the bedroom.

The next morning Rick woke up alone. Twilight's side of the bed was empty and he felt the edges of panic start up again. Had something happened to her? Was she somehow transported back to Equestria? Were there unexpected consequences to her coming back? He was about to call out to her when he heard the toilet flush and she walked back into the bedroom. He breathed a silent prayer as she got back into bed and snuggled up next to him and held him tight. His arms went about her and he knew he would never let her go. But there was something he needed to do first.

"You know, yesterday I had the entire day planned out." Twilight looked at him oddly when he said that. "Yeah, I know I'm not the type to plan but you must have rubbed off on me. So, it was going to start off with a fancy breakfast, we'd spend the day doing whatever you wanted, then a nice dinner, some stargazing and we'd watch your favourite movie. But there was one thing during all that time that I wanted to do more than anything else and figured I'd wait until the right time to do it." Rick rolled over and got a small bundle wrapped in silk cloth from the bedside table. He sat up in bed and motioned for her to do the same. "It's a human custom created almost entirely by the jewlery industry to sell overpriced baubles where a man offers a pretty ring to the woman in his life. It represents his undying love, an eternal commitment and desire to spend lots of money on her." He removed the silk cloth revealing a delicate looking ring set with a large, pale amethyst that would have matched the colour of Twilight's coat had she still been a pony. Holding the ring out in front of him he said "Twilight Sparkle. Would you do me the honour and the privilege of marrying me and becomming my legally wedded wife?"

The tears Twilight had been holding back came forth, she managed to choke out a "yes" and threw her arms around her man. He slipped it onto her finger where it looked comically large.

"I originally had it made to go over your horn which is why it's so big. We can take it to a jeweler to get it resized." Twilight simply smiled and concentrated on the ring. A pale purple glow surrounded both her forehead where her horn used to be as well as the ring. Slowly the band started to shrink in size until it fit perfectly on her finger. Rick wide eyed and in more than just a little bit of shock couldn't believe what it was he had just seen. Twilight Sparkle, now fully human had used magic!

Twilight looked at her fiance, gently shut his mouth with her hand and said, "you shouldn't be so surprised. I was born a unicorn and while I'm now human the magic is still in me. I'm not as powerful as I was in Equestria but it's enough."

"You're amazing. Have I told you that recently?" Rick asked.

"No, but I knew that already, " Twilight responded while admiring her ring. She couldn't keep a straight face however and disolved into giggles. He pulled her close, relishing the feel of her in his arms. In a way he was a lot happier because now there would be no issue taking her anywhere and finally maybe his family and friends would stop trying to set him up with whatever random strangers they might know. He no longer would have to say that they weren't serious or that she was sick to prevent his friends from finding out she wasn't human. And on that note, as she was now able to go outside without having to hide who she was, there was no excuse for them not to do anything together.

He pulled back, looked into her deep violet eyes and said, "well, Twilight my love, we have the whole day ahead of us to do whatever it is you want to do. I had planned a whole bunch of things and there's nothing stopping us from doing them today."

"No, " she said with a gentle smile as she stroked his cheek. "We have the rest of our lives to do that. Today, it's just me and you." She drew herself towards him, kissed him with all her heart and pulled him back down onto the bed.