• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 15,354 Views, 270 Comments

A Doorway to Another Place - Java Joe



A magical doorway opens a whole new world for Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
46
 270
 15,354

Home again

To all observers she looked calm and at peace, almost serene but her mind was a maelstrom of pain, anger and loss. She replayed the same scene over and over in her mind, accidentally killing the one she loved, finally getting free of Trixie's control and then attempting to take the only honorable way out for what she did. Yes, it wasn't her fault as she was being controlled like a puppet but she could see and hear and feel what was going on, she was just powerless to do anything about it. It was almost the same as if she had willingly done it.

So there she lay, unable to move due to the straps holding her down. Ignoring all attempts to reach her. She felt she didn't deserve their help and they should just let her die. It might not make things right as she could never bring Rick back to life but it would help to balance the scales. Her only companion during all this was the pain, not just the emotional hell she was going through but the deep down body pain that seemed to have worked it's way throughout her entire being. But she bore the pain gladly in fact she welcomed it because she felt she somehow deserved it.

And so days passed and she just stared at the ceiling. She had no way to tell how long it had been that she was lying here. The room was dark, no natural light entered through the shuttered window, her only way of keeping count was how many times she slept and then awoke. Sleep was no comfort however, because the nightmares would start as soon as she closed her eyes leaving her clammy and soaked with sweat when she awoke. Nothing could make her world right anymore, she was in a hell of her own creation and would never be okay again. That is until one day she heard a voice that she had never thought she'd hear again. But that was impossible, she killed him. She saw him fall to the floor with a gaping wound in his side and Celestia carry him off. She must be dreaming again, nopony came back from the dead. That only happened in fairy tales.

"There you go, " Twilight said. "She was brought here after everything and hasn't moved since. Celestia thinks she's hiding inside her own mind because she can't deal with what happened."

Rick stared sadly at Rainbow Dash. The pegasus was such a bright spark that nopony could keep down for long and yet here she was completely broken. It was difficult to believe this was the same pony that he had sparred with so many times. He sighed deeply, it was almost painful to see her like this. "Are you sure there's nothing that can be done?"

"From what I understand, they've tried to reach her but she just doesn't react. She's in there somewhere but until she decides to show up again, there's not much we can do."

"Babe? Just gimme a moment with her alone. You talked to me when I was out and maybe that helped to reach me. Maybe if I talk to her she'll come out of it or something."

Twilight looked at him for a moment, then nodded, gave him a quick kiss and left the room. Rick hobbled over to the bed, his cane taking some of the strain off his mending side and sank gratefully in a chair by the side of Rainbow Dash's bed.

"Hey Dash. Dunno if you can hear me in there but doctors say that it's good to speak to people or ponies in your case when they're in your situation." He paused for a moment trying to formulate the proper words. "Look, I don't know what happened and maybe part of that is my fault. Even after all this time with Twi, I don't fully understand pony culture and how you guys communicate when you're not actually talking. If I did, I want to apologise and I'm sorry if there was ever any misunderstanding between us. You are important to me not only as a friend and fellow snarker but as one of Twi's very best friends as well." He reached out and took one of her hooves in his hand, maybe she would feel it where she was, maybe she wouldn't but it couldn't hurt to try.

"I just want you to know, that I forgive you. What happened wasn't your fault and if Twilight is okay with it, maybe we can put all this ugliness behind us and start all over. We're heading back to Ponyville today, I need to get back home or risk losing my job but we'll come visit you when we can. I promise, you haven't seen the last of us, " he stood up, leaned over and gave her a chaste kiss where her head wasn't bandaged.

As he turned to leave he heard her croak, "that the best you can do?" and turned around to see her looking back at him with her good eye.

"Dash! You're okay?!?"

"Shhhh! Not so loud buster! I'm fragile right now."

Twilight rushed into the room after hearing Rick shout and with tears in her eyes rushed over to her friend. "Rainbow Dash! You're awake! We were so worried about you."

"Yeah so worried that you never came to visit me except that once?" Rainbow Dash said with a hint of bitterness in her voice.

Stung slightly by this Twilight defended herself, "Rick was unconscious for 3 days, I spent all that time by his bedside. I needed to be there when he woke up. But you were aware of everything going on during that time?"

Rainbow Dash nodded solemnly. "I thought I had killed him and that was my punishment for doing so."

"But it wasn't your fault! That was Trixie taking control of your mind."

Rainbow Dash nodded again in agreement. "But, deep down I was angry at you and Rick. Part of me wanted to hurt you both for what happened. I think that's why Trixie was able to control me so easily. And speaking of her, where is she now?"

Rick and Twilight exchanged a look. Rainbow Dash didn't know that Trixie had been defeated and was currently nothing more than a drooling meatbag in some sanitarium somewhere. This look was not lost on Rainbow Dash who then asked, "so what happened to her?"

"Well, after you were captured and Rick was in surgery, Celestia got the name Trixie from your mind. I went a little nuts, tracked her down and there was an accident. I caused her pendant to explode, she lost her mind and I found myself down the hall recovering next to Rick here. The Princess says that she's completely gone and her mind no longer exists."

There was a moment of silence before the pegasus just said, "good. She deserved it." She sighed then said, "look guys, I'm sorry for everything and I know I can't make up for it but I hope maybe we can move on from here and like Rick said start fresh."

Twilight smiled and said, "I'd like that." She leaned over and kissed Rainbow Dash lightly on the cheek and said, "we'll come visit from time to time but hopefully you'll get better soon."

As they walked out of the hospital, there was a carriage with 4 strong pegasi waiting to take them back to Ponyville. The Princess had insisted that they be taken back using her personal carriage. Goodbyes were made. Cadance kissed the two goodbye. Twilight promised to return to see them more often. And Shining Armor and his guards gave Rick a salute as he passed. They settled back in the carriage and it was airborne.

"One hell of a party."

"Thank you Mr. Understatement, " Twilight said dryly.

Rick chuckled and gave his fillyfriend a kiss. "Have I told you recently that I love you?"

"No, " she said as she smiled sweetly at him waiting for those three words that she loved to hear.

"Just making sure, " he said with a smirk that turned to a giggle when she realised he was just playing with her. He kissed her again and then said it.

"You're infuriating you know that?" she said with mock severity.

"It's all part of my charm," he placed his arm around her and they kicked back while watching the scenery pass by.

Finally back in the library they each went about taking care of some loose ends. Spike, while he had gotten a scroll from the Princess telling him what happened was still worried that his sister and big brother hadn't come back yet and was overjoyed to see them walk in. The library was spotless, obviously he had done a lot of cleaning over the past few days to keep his mind off what might have happened.

Rick walked back into his room, his phone had several messages from work wondering where he was and his boss said if he didn't contact them by today he'd be fired. Needless to say he called them, made up a story about having an accident and spending the last few days in the hospital. It wasn't exactly a lie, but saying it happened when going rock climbing was easier to understand than saying it was indirectly caused by a flying pony. He promised to come in tomorrow and show off the wicked scar he got from it. He also remembered the gems that he wanted to get appraised. Pulling a few out of the chest, he walked back into the library to tell Twilight that he needed to leave for a couple hours but he would be back for dinner.

"Are you going to be okay? Shouldn't you rest?" she asked with more than just a little bit of worry in her voice.

"I'll be fine. I need to get this done before the end of the week. With luck, I might have hit on a way to keep us from having to go out the basement window every time to enter the apartment."

Twilight looked at him funny, but then shrugged and said, "dinner is on me tonight. I don't want you straining yourself to do anything for the next few days."

"Whatever you say sexy. And I'm going to hold you to that promise, " he said with a leer.

Easing into his battered little hatchback, he drove off to his first appointment to get the gems appraised. He wasn't holding out much hope that they'd be worth a lot of money but just from the size of them, they had to be worth something.

Three different jewelers gave him three similar prices for the gems he brought in. Yes, they were large. Yes, they were cut and brilliant. And yes they were slightly flawed but none of that mattered. The gems had an average value of several thousand dollars each or at least that was what the jewelers were willing to pay for them. A quick calculation showed that if the rest of them were as valuable, there was a small fortune stashed away in his closet. It was hopefully more than enough to purchase the house from the MacKensizes but the only issue was how to sell them. He was missing the papers for these gems. One or two he could claim were from a relative that had passed on, or maybe from an estate sale but a whole chest of them would arouse suspicion. He needed to come up with a way that satisfied the legal requirements of selling gems without having to deal with the shadier aspects of the underworld. He needed an angle then hit on the perfect option: an auction. With so many people bidding, that usually drove the price up and he could avoid some of the legalities by saying he had found it while rock climbing or something like that. Then the auction house would take a small cut but it would take a lot of the hassle out of it.

Once back home, he spoke to the Mackenzie’s and told them of his plan. He didn't reveal the details except that he would be getting a good deal of money in the next few weeks and with their permission would buy the house from them. It was a win-win deal. They would get the money they needed. He wouldn't have to pay rent anymore and the portal to Equestria would remain his secret. Also, once he had bought the house he could knock down a wall and make a second doorway which would make travel between Equestria and his apartment a lot easier. The Mackenzie’s agreed, they would draw up the contracts and by the end of the month would have sold the house.

Feeling good, Rick traipsed down the stairs back to his room, made two cups of coffee one of which he brought out to Twilight in the library. She was busy at her research but accepted the coffee with a grateful smile. As he turned around to back to his room to relax with his own coffee Twlight called out to him. "Before you do anything that takes up too much time, I want you to go see Rarity. She has something for you."

"What is it?"

"Your clothes that got damaged during the... scuffle. I had them sent back and Rarity was able to mend them."

"Seriously? That's awesome. Thanks babe."

"Don't worry about it. I told her to put it on your tab."

"Great, another half-price massage. Oh well, if she did a good job at repairing the suit it's a small price to pay. I'm assuming that because you want me to get that you want to get dressed up tonight?"

"Yes. We're going to a fancy restaurant to celebrate. My stallion and best friend are alive, my sister-in-law is having a foal, my parents love you and that b1tch has been vanquished. I think we've earned a night out."

"Okay, I'll go see Rarity after I've had my coffee. Deal?"

"Perfect. I want you ready to go at 6:00 tonight."

"Roger Wilco. Over and out, " Rick made a squelching noise at the end and threw a salute. Twilight looked at him funny, then just shrugged and went back to her books. After all these months, she had gotten used to the strange comments he made even if she never understood what they meant.

Suitably relaxed, Rick entered Rarity's shop where she made an awful fuss over him.

"Oh my dear Richard! I heard what happened to you, how dreadful it must have been."

"I'm feeling much better Rarity. Thank you for your concern."

"You're very welcome but what would I do without you? Those lovely magazines you bring with you once a month, the massages, the prestige of being your tailor. No, if anything I should be thanking you for all you've done for me."

"Thank you Rarity, you're very kind but unfortunately I don't have much time to stay and chat. Twilight sent me over to get my clothes. She said you were able to fix them?"

"Darling, I did so much better than just repair them, I made you a whole new ensemble. Behold!" With a flourish she tossed her head to the side, soft blue magic erupted from her horn and the curtains parted to reveal a whole new suit of a slightly different cut. What had once been a tailored Italian suit, was now a differently tailored suit of unknown origins. It looked vaguely like a tuxedo with moderate tails. A waistcoat with a slight hounds tooth motif went underneath the jacket and it was topped off with a red bow tie and honest to goodness top hat and cane.

"Well? What do you think?"

Rick stood there agog. This was so unexpected that he was stuck for what to say next. "Rarity... I... don't know what to say. Thank you, this is an incredible gift, " he kneeled down and gave her a gentle hug.

"Well... yes... you're welcome, " Rarity said with a slight blush and stammer. She knew he was just being friendly, but this wasn't the first time she had thought of him in a more than just a friendly way. Those hands of his were marvelous and there was many a night she wondered what else those dexterous digits of his could do. She composed herself and said, "please try them on. I can make some last minute adjustments just in case."

He took the clothes to the fitting room and tried them on. They fit perfectly. It was as if the clothes had been made specifically for him with him in mind and with his exact measurements. Stepping out of the changing room so Rarity could see, she almost swooned at the sight.

"Oh my, I am a true artiste! Such a wonderful looking suit and such a handsome stallion to carry it off. I dare say that all the mares who see you tonight will be absolutely green with envy when they see you and Twilight together."

"Thanks Rarity. Gotta admit, you did a fantastic job on this, " Rick said admiring himself in the mirror. A few minutes later he had changed back into his street clothes, picked up Twilight's dress that had been cleaned and repaired and was on his way. Rarity watched him leave with a mixture of admiration and regret. If only she could find such a fine specimen to warm her bed on those cold nights alone, to hold her in his arms when she needed comfort and to massage her inside and out with those wonderful fingers when she was feeling tense. With a heavy sigh she returned to her shop, locked the door and went to draw a bubble bath.

That evening, a well-dressed couple walked out of the library to Chez Antoine. While not the fanciest or most upscale restaurant in Ponyville it did have an excellent menu and was known as being the best bang for your bit.

They lingered over appetizers, shared some wine, gazed lovingly into each other's eyes and generally carried on like a couple deeply in love. The meal was excellent and for dessert they decided to share a chocolate mousse. Rick would take a spoonful, then give a spoonful to Twilight. It was insufferably romantic and while more than one filly wished her date would treat her as well, Twilight and Rick never noticed. They were on after dinner drinks, Twilight was slightly tipsy and Rick wasn't doing all that well either but they didn't care. The bill was paid and they slowly made their way back to the library.

"You know, I take it back, " Twilight said as they walked.

"What do you take back?"

"How good you looked back in Canterlot before the party."

Rick looked at her a little strangely, not sure what she was getting at.

"Back then, when I saw you in your suit I thought you looked absolutely yummy. But now you look so much yummier." She raised herself and put her hooves on his shoulders so she could whisper in his ear, "I'm so ready for you now. If we were somewhere more private, I'd just take you. Of course I'd do all the work tonight." She pulled back to look him in the eyes and pouted prettily. "My poor stallion is hurt. It's only right for his mare to do whatever she can for him." Twilight then leaned in and kissed him hard. Rick was hard pressed not to respond in kind and for a moment he did. They ignored the ponies walking through the night. They ignored the stares that some gave them and they ignored propriety as they started practically making out in the town square.

Gasping for breath, Rick pulled back and said, "babe, we need to stop and get back to the library now. If we keep this up, they'll be calling the cops and I don't want to be spending this night away from you."

They practically sprinted back to the library, ran through to Rick's room and placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. Not that it mattered as there was nopony or nodragon there. On these nights that Rick and Twilight went out, Spike made his way to Rarity's. They had grown closer over the past few months, spending a lot more time with each other. Of course Rarity kept up the same charade where she'd have him clean and tidy up first only to give him a chaste kiss on the cheek when he was done. But had there been anypony else there they might have noticed that Rarity did look upon the dragon with a certain affection when he was cleaning up and she would primp in front of the mirror to make sure she looked stunning when he knocked on her door. Tonight was no exception but there was a change in their usual procedure. Spike usually slept in a small basket by the foot of Rarity's bed. Before he showed up, she made sure Opalescence had not only used it, but abused it. When it came time for them to go to sleep, Spike's bed was in ruins and it was too late to fix it or get him another one. So tonight, but just tonight he could sleep with Rarity in her bed provided he was a complete gentlecolt and respected a filly's modesty. Spike agreed willingly and Rarity smiled as she went to sleep. Now how could she convince Rick to teach Spike to give a massage? The question would have to wait to be answered later as she fell asleep dreaming of her strong dragon slowly working the tension from her muscles then when the massage was done, they'd get down to business.

Spike of course knew nothing of this and was simply happy to be sleeping next to Rarity in her bed. It truly was the best night of his life. If only he knew what she was thinking, it might have even gotten better.