• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 1,310 Views, 33 Comments

Octavarium (written by OtterMatt) - Spabble



We live, we love, we lose. The circle always goes on, never ending, joy following pain following joy.

  • ...
4
 33
 1,310

Epilogue - Octavarium

Epilogue: “Octavarium”


The library had been too small. Supposedly, the Party Pony of Ponyville had manged to fit over 50 ponies into the library for Twilight’s first bash, but she had run out of room for her latest work, so it had ended up spilling out into the town square. Dusk stood near the fountain and marveled at everything going on around him. There were ponies everywhere, and they were all wearing a similar giant grin. Pinkie had completely outdone herself.

Initially, she had thrown some huge fits when Dusk had refused to let her throw him a welcome party, and he had managed to delay her for almost a full year, but Pinkie had finally had her day. On top of that, it was the first time she had gotten to plan for so many things to celebrate in one party before. Her grin upon finding out that she would be throwing a “Welcome To Ponyville/Dusk Saved Apple Fritter From An Ursa/Dusk & Fritter Wedding Party” had threatened to unhinge the top half of her head.

The combination party had started almost four hours ago, and even though the sun was setting, it showed no signs of slowing down. When the party had started there had been three whole cakes baked by Pinkie herself, with a four-tiered monolith of a wedding cake as the centerpiece. Almost all of these were now gone, and the mare and stallion cake toppers had disappeared some time ago.

Dusk felt a touch on his wing. He looked over to see Apple Fritter, having long since discarded her wedding dress, running a hoof lightly over the wedding band clipped around the leading edge of his wing. He felt a surge of pride, as he did every time he saw that slender gold band encircling her hoof. He reached over and stole the hat off her head, complete with his feather still in the hatband, and put it on his own head, sticking his tongue out at her playfully.

She smiled warmly up at him. “So,” she said, just loud enough for him to hear, “is it anything like the first time?”

He thought for a few moments, going slightly distant, but quickly returning. “Nothing like it. This is…” he left off, waiting for the words to come to him. The first time he had been so much more emotional—almost giddy. Now he felt happy, but more peaceful and content with his life. Everything felt whole again. “… just right.”

He gave her a tender nuzzle and looked out of the chaos of the party, from Pinkie Pie’s sing-along over near the cider tent to the entire Apple Family’s horseshoe tournament grudge match. “It feels weird, though. As if I’ve been here before, even though this is a new place for me.” He chuckled. “I still can’t believe you said ‘yes’ to a damaged pony like me.”

She laughed back at him. “I wouldn’t say ‘damaged’, myself. You know there’s no shame in going through what you have.” He put his wing over her back and pulled her close. She looked around and then up at him conspiratorially. “Do you think it would be alright if we left yet?” she asked.

Dusk raised an eyebrow. “Got somewhere you need to be?”

She winked at him in a way that made him shiver. “Yes. Our house, if you take my meaning,” she said, walking off down the road towards their home.

Dusk glanced around a bit and trotted eagerly after her.

The End

Comments ( 17 )

Welp, there we have it. It might not be good enough for EqD, but I'm proud of it, nevertheless.
I'm sorry to have kept the few of you waiting while I dallied with the prereaders, but I'm glad you're still around!
I'll be back with another story, just as soon as I can think of one.

notbad.jpg


a little fast paced though.

Definitely enjoyed it and have to agree with CantThinkofaGoodName, it was a little fast paced and some of the scenes could have been a little more drawn out and detailed but I really liked the story and wish it had gotten into EQD... I feel like it deserves it. Looking forward to your next piece! :pinkiehappy:

Well done. I enjoyed this greatly.

Probably Dream Theater's greatest album next to Scenes From a Memory, but aside from that, i loved the story. Everything about it was enjoyable.

Speaking of Scenes from a memory, are you planning on doing a fic for that too?

1552698
You? You just made my month at least. I have been waiting SO long for someone to get the references! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:
I had toyed with the idea, honestly. It's a bit easy to crib off the album's story, but it's something I'm keeping in my back pocket.
I'm also thinking of going back and completely re-doing this story in the future. I might make it my "one year as a writer" anniversary project, because it really does need some polish and re-direction.

1552848

I see :moustache:

If you do make a Scenes from a memory fic i wish you luck :pinkiehappy:. As for you re- doing this story i wish ya luck on that too!
Another thing kinda off topic, i thought it was funny how the album pic was of a newtons cradle and how my pic is pretty much the same thing. Never noticed that honestly :twilightsheepish:.

Anyway I think you deserve a watch.

She winked at him in a way that made him shiver. “Yes. Our house, if you take my meaning,” she said, walking off down the road towards their home.
Dusk glanced around a bit and trotted eagerly after her.

Innuendo Alert :pinkiegasp:
But seriously, that was a great piece of work. Well done, my man,. Well done. :pinkiehappy:

I came for all the Dream Theater references.... But stayed because this is a brilliant story! Good job :3

Also, I like the theme you wrote for Dusk!

I don't get why this doesn't have more attention/views. It's very well written, I was on the edge of my seat for almost every bit of it.

Well done!

:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: I love this story. MAKE A SEQEAL. Have some mustaches as a reward. :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

How do I put mustaches down???????????????????????????? I am new. Meep.

How I felt:

Beginning::rainbowhuh:

Shortly after::twilightsmile:

Middle::pinkiegasp:

End::pinkiehappy:

I'm not flipping kidding. MMAAKKEE AA SSEEQQUUEELL

The pure raw energy from that song brings into fruit who dusk is, and how he feels. honestly i am amazed by what you have done, my good man don't you ever stop being fabulous! (and i am also a fanatic of ze extreme sports as it were, mainly rock-climbing and hopefully skydiving, and yes i read that interview blog post thingie)

Comment posted by Dude With No Life deleted May 6th, 2015
Login or register to comment