• Published 19th Oct 2016
  • 1,313 Views, 64 Comments

Those Red Eyes - Dustchu



Octavia recalls a moment in her youth over a cup of coffee, involving a vampire who saved her life.

  • ...
5
 64
 1,313

Coffee?

Octavia bristled at the sound of her coffee maker's alarm going off, signaling it was 5:00 in the morning. With a tired groan, she sat up, rubbing away the sleep in her eyes as she yawned widely, sighing afterwards before smacking her lips together and looking at her clock next to the bed side table. 5:00... bugger mornings. She cursed, swinging her legs off of the queen sized bed and standing up, bare feet hitting the carpeted floor of her bedroom as she headed towards the kitchenette.

This was Octavia Melody, an up and coming musician in the Canterlot Orchestra.

She was a young woman looking to make it big, but for now... she had to make do with what small venues she could play in the run down areas of Manehattan scene, which paid very little in fact. But it was enough to help pay the shoddy rent of her apartment, and pay for bills and what have you, things that she needed to survive in the sprawling metropolis known as Manehattan, the massive city that housed millions of people. It was overcrowded in her opinion, but there was little a nobody cellist could say or even do on the matter.

So for now, all she could do was drink her coffee, speaking of which.

She walked into the kitchenette, glaring at the black device that produced the very liquid someone such as herself desired in the crisp mornings of Manehattan. She watched as it the device made noises, a stream of black liquid streaming forth from the hole into the waiting coffee cup she placed there last night before bed. She watched it fill up, sputtering slightly as she rubbed her eyes still. Bloody hell finish up already. She begged, and as if answering her plea, it stopped and she grabbed the cup before going over to her door that led out into the hall. Upon reaching it, she opened the door up before looking at the small mailbox next to her door and opening it up, revealing a few letters and junk mail. She snorted, grabbing them before going back inside, closing her door and locking it once more as she made her way over to the kitchen table and sitting down.

She sat the mail down, sitting in a chair with a creak noise before looking at the letters before her. A few of them were bills, which she put in a pile of to do later, some junk mail for some magazines she cared nothing about, gossip magazines weren't her thing anyway let alone fashion. She also had one other letter... one that was addressed from her brother who lived in the distant small town community of Ponyville. She sighed, no doubt he was going to ask her to return home once more, but she set it aside anyway to read later as she drank her coffee.

Her eyes lingered on the letter however, eyes burning with intense curiosity and morbid thoughts about her brother, a man named Noteworthy. He was her older brother, someone who had become an accomplished small time musician on the Ponyville stages, however she couldn't settle for something so small, and had to leave in order to at least try and accomplish her own dream of becoming a big time cellist, one of the greats. However, she hadn't made much leeway in regards to it. So far... she had only done small venues in the hopes of one day hitting it big.

And nothing.

A sigh escaped her as she took a long sip of her coffee, the hot liquid so soothing and so bitter going down her throat and waking her up. She would have added sugar and cream, but for today... was not a normal day and she didn't feel like it was one to feel good about. Today was a Monday, the 26th of December, the year 2016...

The night her parents were murdered.

Mother... father... She remembered them quite fondly, two of Canterlot's well known musicians retired to raise the Melody family. They were the strictest but nicest parents she could have ever asked for in life, who raised her and her two other siblings, her brothers, Noteworthy and Record.

She remembered that night all too well...



Twenty Years Ago



In the distant countryside outside of Manehattan, in the year 1996 sat a nice looking estate, the Melody estate. The entire area was fenced in with a three foot tall stone wall, with a gate near the front in thee driveway, and a large garage nearby adjacent to the building. It had a sort of old Gothic feel to it, the building itself crafted out of centuries old stone and has long been in the Melody family for years and years. A chimney above puffed out smoke into the air, as the house itself was filled with warmth, and the windows were all shut, with thick drapes to keep out the harsh and snowy winds of the outside world.

It was close to midnight, and the family was in the living room all gathered around the fire. The father, an older man with graying combed hair and striking blue eyes sat in an easy chair, as his wife was on the couch next to one of the sons of the family, Noteworthy, as Record was on the floor playing with a small object.

The only daughter, Octavia, was sitting in her father's lap as he read to her a story.

"... And she continued forth, into the bone chilling blizzards of Neighpan's countryside... never to be seen again..." The man, named Fine read off, closing the book as Octavia's gleaming youthful eyes looked at the book cover, which was of a wilting tree and the words, The Lost Princess of Neighpan's 1st Dynasty.

Octavia turned to look up at her father, purple eyes locking on his own blue ones. "Daddy." She started, voice oh so innocent sounding and cultured. "What happened to the princess?"

"Well darling, I've no idea." The man told his daughter, tapping a finger onto the book. "No one has ever been able to find her, some say she may have perished in the cold... others say she came over to Equestria and started a family."

"Really daddy?" Octavia questioned once more, eyes shining as the fire crackled.

"Yes really," He smiled in return, before the clock chimed, deep resounding thuds that sounded off once the clock struck midnight. "Alright children, time for bed."

"But daaaaaaaaad! I don't wanna go to bed." Noteworthy said, pouting his lips as Record was picked up off of the floor with his little toy.

The mother, who was named Cadance, just nuzzled her baby boy with a smile. "Well tough cookies my darling little boy, its time for bed and then school tomorrow."

Octavia was picked up by her father, who held onto him tightly as he set the book down. "Come tomorrow we can go outside, perhaps we can have some fun in the snow?" He suggested, and Noteworthy was sprinting off to the stairs, causing his father to chuckle. "Hahaha, slow down my son, no sense in hurting yourself for bed."

Cadance just giggled. "I think that's the most he's moved since last week."

"I do believe so, here's hoping he moves some more tomorrow, lazy boy." Fine chuckled again as he carried Octavia's sleepy form up the stairs.

The stairs creaked slightly with each step as the parents made their way to the second floor, passing by several oak wood doors until splitting up, Cadance took her son Record into one room with Noteworthy as Fine took Octavia into the room closest to their own.

Fine went over to Octavia's bed, gently placing her onto the softness that was her mattress before tucking her in. Octavia smiled, and he kissed her on the forehead. "Good night my sweet little angel," He told her quietly, and she returned his kiss with one on his cheek.

"Goodnight daddy, tell mum I said goodnight... I love you both." She smiled sleepily, before her eyes closed completely.

The last sight she had of her father... was of him smiling down on her...



Two Hours Later



*CRASH*

Octavia's eyes fluttered open from the crash, purple eyes taking their time to adjust to the dimly lit bedroom she slept in. Her eyes blinked sluggishly before she slowly sat up, the muffled sounds of something moving around on the rooftop above making her look up. She looked towards her window, it was closed by the thick purple drapes that matched her eyes, and unable to fight her burning curiosity she slowly climbed out of bed, tiny bare feet hitting the carpeted floor before scampering over to the window.

Slowly, she lifted the drape to where she could hear the harsh whistling winds of the snowstorm outside. Snow packed against the window sill, frost preventing her from seeing outside clearly. With a slight frown, she rubbed her shirt sleeve against it, the cold biting into her arm as she saw the cloudy sky, before the window frosted over again and obscuring her vision. Staring out into the snow, she let the drape fall back down, before stumbling sleepily to her door.

I wonder what that noise was...

Upon reaching the door, she reached up to grab the knob before turning it, and pulling the door open before treading into the hallway. However, once she stepped foot out into the hall... she felt a sudden chill whisk through the air, causing her to shiver before turning to look towards the stairs. She could hear the wind much more clearly now... a rushing wind that seeped in and chilled her to the bone, and causing her to creep towards the stairs. Each step on the cold and bare floor caused her to shiver as she hugged her arms around herself, purple eyes glancing out ahead in the darkness as a sudden fear took over her heart.

Once she reached the end of the hall, she looked off and down into the living room where she could see the front door that led outside into their snow covered yard...

It was wide open.

Eyes growing wide, she scampered back to her parents door, struggling to open it up before going inside. Her parents room was pretty bare, and the bed was a large queen sized bed with the two on it. She ran over to the bed, before jumping up onto the side. "Mummy, daddy!" She hissed softly, shaking her father's arm.

A groan, followed by Fine turning his head to look at his daughter. "Tavi, darling, what is the matter?" He looked towards his clock, and said, "Its two in the morning, why aren't you asleep?"

"The front door is open!" She said, obvious fear in her eyes.

Fine saw the fear, and felt himself growing nervous. The front door... Getting up, he picked up Octavia as he heard his wife behind him wake up. "Cadance dear, look after Tavi, I have to go check on something." He told his wife, who sat up.

After Octavia crawled over to her mother, Cadance hugged her daughter. "Whatever is the matter?" She asked her husband, who went over to the closet before opening it up. When both mother and daughter looked over, they saw him pull out a wooden baseball bat. "Fine?"

"Stay here." He told her sternly, before leaving the room.

A few moments later... they heard the sounds of something crashing to the floor.

Octavia sounded scared, whimpering quietly as Cadance held her daughter. The young six year old held onto her mother's form tightly, the door was closed, and Cadance couldn't help but move off of the bed and to the other side before opening her side table drawer and pulling out a small looking pistol. She held it in her hand, Octavia had no idea what it was, so she said nothing and just held onto her mother.

Holding up her pistol, she aimed it towards the door with a shaky hand. Fine, please be alright. She prayed, as Octavia held on even tighter. More crashing could be heard, along with a sudden yell of pain that sounded like Fine.

She was unable to do anything else, before the window to their room smashed in, and something roared. "Rooooooooooar!"

"AHHHHHH!" Octavia screamed, before Cadance whipped around and fired her pistol at whatever it was, the small round impacted the beast and caused it to recoil and disappear from sight before she could even get a good look.

Without waiting, Cadance got up and held Octavia to her before setting the young child down, and pushing her under the bed. "Tavi, sweetness, I need you to hide!"

"No mummy no, don't leave me!" Tavi cried softly, only for Cadance to cup her cheek.

"I have to get your brothers so stay here, do not come out no matter what!" Cadance told her, before getting up and quickly leaving the room.

Huddling up under the bed, Octavia scooted further under the bed until she hit the wall. She shivered from the immense cold filling the room as she heard the scuffle downstairs, things crashed and she heard screaming.

"AHHHHH!"

"Caddy run!"

"No! Get away from him!"

"Mummy!"

The screams filled her ears, and she hugged herself, covering her head and crying as the whatever was happening downstairs continued on. Eventually she couldn't stay awake... and she drifted off...



Four Hours Later



Slowly... Octavia woke up, eyes fluttering open to the sight of the cold floor. She felt wrong... her body felt numb, she couldn't even feel her fingers or toes anymore. With great struggle, she tried to crawl out from under the bed, shivering violently and coughing quietly. Once she was out, she saw there was a great deal of snow that had packed below the window, and she got worried.

Daddy wouldn't le-... Daddy! She stood up, ignoring the pain in her body as she scrambled for the door, opening it up and into the hall. "Da-" She stopped short... when she saw the hall leading to the stairs, the walls were burned slight, deep indentations in the thick wood and even small holes and slash marks. The floor was the same, littered with small brass casings that led towards the stairs. She slowly moved forward, eyes drifting towards the ceiling as she saw even more slash markings, even small holes that looked like they were made by claws or something.

Little Octavia continued forward, until she got to the stairs and hurried down them until she was on the ground floor. The entire living room was a mess, the couch and furniture was crushed and destroyed, the paintings and photos all in the same shape, holes were in the walls everywhere and it looked as if wild beasts had come into their house and ripped everything up. The carpet was shredded, and there were pools of crimson on the floor, trails of it, even splatters on the walls.

But what got her attention most... was the two bodies laying near the back door.

Her parents...

Octavia's eyes went wide... before she dashed over to them. "Mummy! Daddy! No!" She cried, falling to her knees next to them both. Both her parents were covered in blood, clothes ripped to shreds, covered in deep and bloody slash marks and bite wounds. Their eyes were locked open, hands holding as they stared at nothing. Hot tears stung at her eyes before trailing down her cheeks, blood seeped into her pants but she didn't care...

She wasn't given much time left to grief, before she heard something growl behind her.

She whimpered, turning her head and there she saw it... It growled at her... sharp bloody teeth bared in a snarl as it glared at her with beady yellow eyes, she found herself frozen... unable to even move.

Only when it roared did she find the courage to stand up and dart away with a scream of terror. "AHHHH! SOMEBODY HELP ME!" She screamed, running out of the back door as the beast behind her gave chase, claws digging into the wooden floor and aiding it in pursuing young Octavia. The young girl herself managed to get out into the backyard, where she started to run into the woods, pushing through the deep snow as fear gripped its icy talons around her heart. The young six year old managed to keep running, as the monster behind her leaped into the trees, watching her and chasing her, roaring to make her keep running.

I want mummy! I want daddy! She screamed in her mind, eyes wide with terror as the snow around her continued to fall. The icy winds of the areas outside of Manehattan bit at her skin, her thin sleepwear doing extremely little to keep her warm as she tried to escape. "Somebody help me! Please! Anyone!" She called out, except all she heard where the roars of the monster behind her.

After a great deal of running, she tripped onto the ground, in a small open area with a cry of pain. She felt too cold to move on, her body shivered and upon turning over onto her back, she saw the monster stalking her from the treeline, its yellow eyes staring into her soul as it walked around a tree. Blood dripped from its maw and onto the white snow below, staining it crimson and making Octavia reel back in fear and disgust. She kept moving back until she found her back against a tree.

She was trapped.

As the beast came out into the open, and made its way towards her, she whimpered, "P-please don't hurt me!" She begged, covering herself with her arms as her eyes locked on the beast, unable to turn away.

"Mmm, fresh meat!" She heard a voice say from the werewolf, before it snarled and then jumped at her, mouth open wide for the kill and claws aimed right at her.

"AHHHH!" She screeched, closing her eyes and bundling up as she prepared herself for the strike...

Only for her to hear a loud crack, followed by a yelp from the creature.

Slowly, the young girl opened her eyes, peering through her arms to see what had happened. There she saw someone... a person dressed completely in black clothing, a thick hoodie and pants, along with combat boots and wielding strange sharp objects in both of her hands. It was obviously a woman, from how her body was shaped and how she stood, but she didn't give Octavia enough time to say anything before she suddenly shot forward with blinding speed towards the wolf creature, who was just getting up.

The young girl watched as the newcomer dodged a swipe from the left, parrying it with her blades and slashing at the wolf's outstretched arm, drawing a geyser of blood that gushed out onto the snowy ground. The woman just jumped over the wolf, dodging yet another swipe before landing on its back, and then began to slash furiously into the wolf's back and causing it to roar in fury. The wolf shook its body, trying to swat at the woman, but she held on and stabbed her blades into the flesh only to end up getting grabbed and then thrown into a tree, she soared through the air before smacking into it, cracking it and flopping to the ground.

Octavia watched as the wolf made its way towards the woman, watching as the woman managed to get up, slowly as blood dripped from her pale lips. And then in one motion, her head whipped up to glare at the wolf, and Octavia could see bright red eyes glowing as her mouth opened up into her own snarl. An inhuman roar escaped the woman, as long and sharp fangs could be seen protruding from her gums, before she leapt at the wolf and started ripping into it with her claws.

The young girl couldn't take anymore...

She passed out.



Present Day



Octavia sighed to herself... hands shaking from the traumatic memory of that strange woman who... came to her rescue from the monster, that she knew was a werewolf. The woman, she never knew her name... who she was, but she did know what she was... Vampire. She played that thought back in her head... Vampires... and Werewolves. She shook her head, it was such a stupid notion to believe, that two mythological creatures, things that should have only existed in folklore were in her world.

She had woken up hours later, her uncle taking her and her brothers away as the strange humans in black cleaned up the mess that was left in their old home outside of Manehattan. It was... heartbreaking... traumatic, what happened to her, she remembered the funeral... how her parents died because of a wild animal attack as opposed to a single monster that were in the horror stories of old, the kind her father loved to read to her before bedtime...

The young woman had pestered her uncle for information over the years... wondering what in the fresh hell had really happened, and that she knew damn well it was not a dream of any kind, or a nightmare. He had caved, and told her it was a werewolf, and the woman that saved her was a vampire.

It was so crazy to believe, and yet... that was what happened... a vampire had saved her from a werewolf...

"Bollocks." She cursed, realizing she was out of coffee. She set the cup down, hands going to her eyes as she covered them, a memory flashing through her mind...

Of those red eyes... feral and inhuman, with a blood lust in them she couldn't comprehend even if she tried.

And that was just the vampire... she recalled the wolf's eyes... bright yellow like the moon at certain times of night.

She could never forget that snowy day... what was supposed to be a day of joy had turned into a bloodbath. How her brothers survived, she would never know, she asked them but said they were still asleep.

Figures. Octavia thought after standing up with her cup in hand. World War 3 could be going on and those two would sleep right on through. A smile graced her features at the thought of it, causing her to chuckle before walking over to her coffee maker and placing her cup under the spout and pressing the button. As she did that, she went back over to her mail and started to open them up, mostly out of boredom, today was her day off and the woman wanted plenty of time to rest before she went back to work.

However, a buzzing noise at her door brought her away from that.

A sigh, followed by Octavia standing up and discarding her half open mail before going over to the door. She went to the eye hole, spotting a very well dressed man in a suit and combed black hair, donning sunglasses. She rose an eyebrow. He's certainly well dressed, why is he... ooo! Could he be an agent for the CO? Without thinking twice, she opened the door up and gave the man a pleasant smile. "Hello, may I help you?" She asked nicely.

The man smiled back at her, before holding out his hand. "Greetings to you as well, Octavia Melody." He said, shocking her slightly before he continued. "I hear you're quite the cellist, is it true?"

A modest smile appeared on her face and she nodded. "I don't like to boast much mister...?" She took his hand, giving it a shake.

"Slow Breeze, at your service, Miss Melody." The man told her, smiling faintly.

"Ah, a pleasure." Looking at the man's attire, she asked, "May I ask why you are here?"

Letting go of her hand, the man reached up... and pulled down his sunglasses, revealing something that sent a primal shiver down her spine.

Bright yellow eyes...

"I'd like to know how you taste~" He said, fangs growing out of his smile before she lunged towards her...

That is, if Octavia hadn't moved at near light speed and slammed the door in his face, sending him sprawling backwards. "Bugger me." She cursed, locking her door before running towards her bedroom. After going inside, she slammed her door shut and locked it shut before retreating towards her bedside table and opening it up.

*SMASH*

"Come out come out wherever you are sweet one~" She heard the man's sickly sweet voice call out, followed by the inhuman growling she was all too familiar with. "I can smell your fear~"

Damn it... She cursed before reaching into the drawer and pulling out a small knife of sorts. It was little more than a pocket knife she had bought for self-defense, made of steel with a wooden handle. She looked it at, before flicking it open and listening to the heavy footfalls of the man who stormed into her apartment. She listened to them... fear welling up in her gut when the footsteps suddenly stopped. She held the knife, the sun outside glinting off of the shiny metal before backing up near the window.

It wasn't long before the door was smashed in by the tall man in black, causing her to brandish her knife at him. "Back you!" She growled at him, and he just laughed smugly.

"How long did you think you could live before one of us came after you dear Melody?" He asked her, yellow eyes flashing beneath his sunglasses. "Its been far too long... far too long~"

"Stay back! I'm warning you!" She yelled at him, a snarl on her face as she thought about who this was. Too long? Who is this man? She narrowed her eyes at his own yellow ones... the predatory eyes staring into her own and bringing flashbacks to when the werewolf attacked her. "I know how to use this!"

"Hahaha, if you really did, I'm sure you would have already used it sweetness~" He chuckled deeply, strutting forward with his claws unsheathed. Black and sharp things that could easily rip into her flesh, if they so desired to.

Octavia shivered, she was trapped, and her knife was the only weapon she had. I won't perish here! She thought, before lunging forward, knife held up in attack.

And she would have stabbed him, had her bedroom window not shattered into a hundred pieces and something caused her to skid to the side. Octavia nearly hit the wall, had she not steadied herself with a hand against said wall. Looking up, the young woman spotted to her shock, a hooded woman standing in her room... wearing a familiar hoodie and pants and wielding two very distinct weapons she had seen 20 years ago. The mysterious woman stood protectively in front of Octavia, blades gleaming in the light as the werewolf just growled in challenge.

"Well well well... should have figured you damn Society pricks would show up, can't you see I'm trying to have dinner?" The wolf quipped with a fang filled grin, a deep growl emanating from him.

The woman in front of Octavia just growled back, making her clutch her knife tighter as she backed away.

She wanted no part of this...

She just wanted her coffee.

"How about you beat it mutt, before I spank you~" The woman in front of Octavia said in reply, in a mocking sort of tone.

Another growl from the wolf, before he flexed his fingers, claws growing out of them. "Try me bitch, RAAAH!" He roared, before lunging at both of the women.

Octavia ducked down, arms over her head as she closed her eyes. She heard the roars and snarls of the wolf, along with slight grunts from the other woman who had to have been the vampire she met years ago. Splashing sounded, along with blades clashing and meeting flesh and yelps of pain, crashing and thuds came soon after as she stayed down.

And it ended...

Hearing nothing else... Octavia opened her eyes, shaking in absolute fear as she looked up, spotting the woman standing stock still... over the dismembered body of the wolfman, who lay on the ground, missing his head, and both arms. The head was on her bed, and the arms were in her dresser. Blood quickly began pooling, blackish red blood that smelled of iron and death and staining her lush carpet. The woman in the hoodie however, looked completely unharmed, her blades stained red with the blood of the wolf.

Gulping down her fear of the female in front of her, she stood up on shaky legs and asked, "W-who are you?"

Turning slightly, Octavia saw the flash of red in the woman's eyes... bright red... the same scarlet red color of the vampire she had seen two decades ago. The woman smiled, before putting her blades away somewhere on her person and reaching up to her hood, causing Octavia to pay close attention as the hood was pulled back, revealing the palest skin she had ever seen on a person. Bright red eyes turned to look at Octavia, as light purple eyes gazed at the woman's two tone neon blue hair that seemed to defy gravity with how spiky it was.

The woman then grinned, showing a pair of rather sharp fangs. "Name's Vinyl Scratch and I just saved your life... again," She told Octavia, who looked a little confused. Vinyl then sniffed the air, before turning to the kitchen. "Is that coffee I smell? Can I have some?"

Octavia just looked at Vinyl... dumbfounded... before dumbly walking out of the room.

"Is that a no?" Vinyl asked, raising an eyebrow before she followed the younger woman into the kitchenette.

Octavia just sighed... turning on the coffee maker once more.

I'm too tired for this shit...

Author's Note:

Just an experiment to see how well this does, and holy crap adding this to groups is painful... I need people to do it for me.
TELL ME HONESTLY...
Would you like to see more of this? If so, tell me down in the comments what you think of this.

Peace out my gooblings~