• Published 8th Aug 2016
  • 12,678 Views, 704 Comments

Loved And Lost - EquineAvenger



This day could've been just perfect, the kind of day of which I've dreamt since I was small. But from too many betrayers, screwups, disgraces, and failures. Now the wedding bells will never ring at all.

  • ...
37
 704
 12,678

Chapter 2 (Updated 03/25/19)

Later that night, Princess Luna flew down from the sky, entered the force field, and landed on the balcony of the tower where her sister, Princess Celestia, was keeping watch.

“Rest, my sister,” Luna said taking her sister’s place at the telescope. “As always, I will guard the night.”

Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle and her friends were all sitting at an outdoor restaurant table sipping drinks after a hard day’s work. Throughout the day, Twilight had noticed that Cadance had not been acting like the sweet pony she remembered when she was a filly, quite the opposite actually. When she came to check on how Applejack was handling the catering in the kitchen, the cowpony offered her a bag of her ‘best darn bite-sized apple fritters’, but Twilight noticed the princess toss the bag in a trash bin when AJ wasn’t looking. Also, she saw Cadance complain about her wedding dress and the bridesmaids’ dresses and demands she redo them. Rarity, rather than feel bad, happily complied with her demands. Then she witnessed Pinkie Pie presenting the princess with her fun reception plans that Cadance compared to a ‘party for a six-year old’, to which Pinkie was oblivious to. After a day of enduring the princess’s rude behavior, Twilight felt it was time to let her friends know what was going on.

“Bet I can guess what you’re all thinking. Cadance is the absolute worst bride-to-be ever,” Twilight said. However, all her friends were shocked by this.

“Who, me?” Spike said playing with a cake topper of Cadance.

“Spike! That goes on the cake,” Applejack scolded the dragon who chuckled nervously and put the topper down.

“Twilight, whatever are you talking about? Cadance is an absolute gem,” Rarity disagreed.

“Rarity, she was so demanding!” Twilight tried to point out.

“Well, of course she was. Why shouldn’t she expect the very best on her wedding day?”

Twilight face-hooved at what Rarity said. “Applejack, did you know that after she told you how much she just ‘love-love-loved’ your hors d’eouvres, she threw them in the trash?”

“Aw, she was probably just tryin’ ta spare mah feelin’s,” the cowpony assured.

“No, she was just being fake and totally insincere!”

“She did raise her voice at one of my birds during rehearsal,” Fluttershy admitted.

“See? Rude!” Twilight pointed out and proudly crossed her hooves.

“But he was singing really off-key.” Flutterhsy held up the red bird she was talking about, and sure enough, he was singing off-key. But Twilight was still not convinced.

“Pinkie Pie, you had to have noticed how Cadance treated-” But Pinkie and Spike were both giggling and playing with the cake toppers of Cadance and Shining Armor. “Never mind. Rainbow Dash, you’re with me, right?”

“Sorry Twi. Been too busy prepping for my sonic rainboom to pay much attention to the bride’s bad attitude,” Rainbow said checking her muscles and wings.

Twilight growled in frustration.

“The princess is about to get married,” Rarity tried reasoning with Twilight. “I’m sure any negative behavior she might be displaying is simply the result of nerves.”

Twilight slammed her right hoof on the table. “And I’m sure it’s the result of being an awful pony who doesn’t deserve to even know Shining Armor, let alone marry him!”

All her friends stared at her for a moment.

“Think maybe you’re bein’ just a tiny bit possessive of yer brother?” Applejack asked. The rest of them nodded in agreement.

“I am not being possessive, and I am not taking it out on Cadance! You’re all just too caught up in your wedding planning to notice that maybe there shouldn’t even be a wedding!” Twilight slammed her hooves on the table so hard everyone’s drinks got knocked over. Then she stormed off leaving her friends baffled.

She began walking the streets of Canterlot alone and frustrated.

“Well, if it isn’t my future cousin-in-law. Fancy meeting you here,” Came a cheerful voice which was revealed to be Prince Jewelius who was walking right beside Twilight. “I heard you like books, so I went to the library and found this really interesting spell book,” The prince pulled a book out of his coat, opened it to a page, and showed it to Twilight. “I’ve also heard you’re quite the magic prodigy. You know this spell?”

“I have, it’s a spell that can make really big or many things into very small things. It’s a very difficult spell to learn. Takes a lot of concentration and can be very exhausting,” the unicorn mare said in a polite but unhappy tone, she was still very ticked off and the prince noticed this.

“Is something the matter, Miss Sparkle?”

“Sorry, but I’ve been trying to tell my friends something very important and none of them will listen to me,” Twilight calmed down and confessed.

“That’s strange,” Jewelius said suspiciously and slightly disturbed. “If they’re your friends, why would they not listen to something you find important to tell them?”

“They’re just too excited about the wedding. Your aunt asked all of them to contribute to the occasion.”

“Well, that doesn't sound like a very good excuse for such rudeness," the prince said. "I’m not busy with anything at the moment. Would you like to tell me about it?”

“I don’t know, I would hate to cause you any worries,” Twilight said reluctant to tell the prince.

“Please, I must insist,” Jewelius insistently pleaded.

Twilight knew the unicorn prince wouldn’t give up until she told him. “Alright. You’ve known Cadance just as long as I have, right?”

“Of course, like you said, she was like the big sister I never had growing up.”

“Well, you see, ever since I got here, she hasn’t been acting at all like the pony I remembered as a filly.”

“How so?” Jewelius asked.

“Well, for starters, when Applejack offered her some delicious hor d’eourves, she threw them in the trash. When she saw the wedding dress Rarity had made for her, she made the most demanding requests. Then when Pinkie Pie showed her the reception she had planned, she completely insulted her. I also heard she was mean to Fluttershy’s bird chorus. I’ve tried to tell them but they all think I’m being possessive of my brother.”

“If it makes you feel any better, I have also noticed some rather out-of-character moments in her behavior,” The prince confessed.

“You have? Have you told anypony?”

“No.”

“Why not?” Twilight asked confused.

“Because I doubt anypony would listen to me either. I have never been a very… popular pony,” Jewelius said with some sadness in his face. “When I return sometimes from my travels, not many ponies seem to have noticed I've been gone. They're either talking about great things that Celestia, Cadance, Luna, or even you and your friends have done. But Cadance has always been everypony’s favorite. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Twilight felt sorry for the prince. “I'm sorry to hear that. Well, you have my favor now.”

“Thank you, Twilight,” the prince expressed his gratitude at the kind words. "I like you. You're different from most ponies I've met, and I like that."

"Thanks, Your Highness," Twilight politely expressed her gratitude. "And if you do something spectacular, ponies will start to recognize you. Give it some time and I know you will be a great pony someday.”

For a moment, the two unicorns stared into each other's eyes for what seemed like a very long time. Twilight felt herself having a strange feeling about this prince. It was strange, but it also felt good for some reason.

“Maybe someday I will,” Jewelius said thinking about Twilight’s words.

"You know," Twilight spoke in a secretive and excited tone. "I have a song I plan to sing during the reception. It's a good one too."

"Really!?" Jewelius said intrigued. "How does it go?"

Twilight cleared her throat and then sang the song in such a beautiful angelic voice.

"Love is in bloom. A beautiful bride--"

"A handsome groom," Jewelius chimed in unexpectedly. This surprised Twilight for a moment, but she smiled warmly and kept singing. She also loved the sound of his singing voice.

"Two hearts becoming one."

"A bond that cannot be undone."

"Because," the both sang in unison. "Love is in bloom." Both young unicorns sang and danced together in the streets of Canterlot happily. The more they sang and danced, the more Twilight felt she had met somepony who truly understood her as well as gaining another friend. Maybe even more. "A beautiful bride, a handsome groom. I said love is in bloom. You're starting a life and making room. For us!"

"Your special day," Jewelius sang solo. "We celebrate now, the pony way."

"Your friends are all right here," Twilight sang next. "Won't let these moments disappear."

"Because," the two sang duet again.

"Love is in bloom

A beautiful bride, a handsome groom

I said love is in bloom

You're starting a life and making room

For us..."

When the song was done, the two found themselves leaning on one another. Immediately, both pulled away blushing bright red.

"You sing great, Twilight," Jewelius complimented.

"You're pretty good yourself," Twilight returned the compliment. "How about you and I do a duet at the reception? We can sing that song together."

"Well, we'll have to see how the wedding goes. Hopefully the issue with Cadance will be solved. I'd really like to hear that singing voice of yours again," Jewelius said giving a small playful chuckle to which Twilight joined in.

The two ponies stared affectionately into each others' eyes one last time before Jewelius took note of the time.

“Well, I’d better head back to the castle," the prince said. "You’ll be okay, will you?”

“Yes, I’m heading to my brother’s house. I know he’ll listen to me,” Twilight assured him.

“Remember Twilight, if you need anything, just come and find me,” Jewelius said to the young unicorn before the two began to part ways.

"Oh, Your Majesty!" Twilight called back to him.

"Yes?"

"Thank you," Twilight said giving him a warm and grateful smile.

"Just doing my part in making this a very memorable day," the prince replied with a reassuring smile.

With that, the two left to attend their own separate duties.

At his house, which had two guards posted outside the front door, Shining Armor was trying on the uniform he was planning to wear at the wedding when he heard a knocking at his door. He answered it to find his sister, Twilight, waiting outside with a concerned expression on her face.

“Twily!” Shining Armor exclaimed with excitement and let her in. “Your big brother’s looking pretty good, don’t you think?” He asked proudly showing off his uniform. But all he got was a very concerned look from her. “Huh. Everything okay?”

“We need to talk,” Twilight began. “I think you’re making a big-” But she was interrupted by the sound of someone clearing her throat. She turned around to find Cadance with an impatient look on her face.

“Oh, uh, hi, sweetie,” Shining Armor greeted his bride-to-be.

“She sure has a way of sneaking up on people,” Twilight mutter bitterly under her breath.

“Could I speak to you for a moment, dear?” Cadance asked her future husband leading him into another room.

“Better see what she wants,” Shining nudged his sister playfully and followed his bride. The door closed slightly behind them. Twilight heard the sound of arguing on the other side of the door so she quietly crept up and looked through the crack to see what was going on.

“I thought I made it perfectly clear I didn’t want you to wear that,” Cadance said pointing at Shining Armor’s uniform.

“This was my favorite uncle’s,” Shining replied.

“And?” Cadance responded uncaring.

“And I think I should wear it.”

“Are you disagreeing with me?” she asked angrily.

“I guess I am- Ah!” Shining defiantly declared, but then felt his head throbbing.

“Oh, dear. Are you getting another one of your headaches?” Cadance asked, then her horn started glowing green and a beam of green magic shot at Shining Armor’s head making his eyes spin. “Feeling better?” Shining nodded his head ‘yes’, but his eyes were now a greenish color.

“She isn’t just unpleasant and rude. She’s downright evil!” Twilight said horrified and took off running out the door.

“Twilight!” Shining Armor called to her coming out of the room. But it was too late, she was gone.

“Let her go,” Cadance said affectionately cuddling her future husband.

“Huh. It seemed like she had something else she wanted to tell me.”

Meanwhile, Princess Luna was still at her post watching over the castle when she noticed Twilight running through the castle yard. “Who goes there? Stay indoors, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight ran till she reached the room Rarity was staying at and burst the door open. “Shining Armor’s in real trouble! You have to help-” She frantically tried to tell them but she saw that they were all chattering happily over the new dresses they were wearing. “Dresses? What are you-?”

“Can you believe it?” Fluttershy excitedly told her while admiring her dress. “We’re gonna be Princess Mi Amore Cadenza’s new bridesmaids!”

New bridesmaids? What happened to her old bridesmaids?”

“She didn’t say,” Applejack said uncaringly. “But she did tell us that she would love-love-love it if we’d fill in for them.”

“Seeing as we’ve been working so hard and everything,” Rarity added.

“And you had your doubts about her,” AJ said teasingly to Twilight.

“Told you she was an absolute gem!” Rarity added again. Twilight was at a complete loss for words.

“I see everypony is getting pretty excited,” Came a voice from behind Twilight which was revealed to be Prince Jewelius accompanied be his assistant, Vivian. They both entered the room. “I must say, you all look lovely in your dresses.”

“We’re the new bridesmaids!” Pinkie happily announced.

“Really?” Jewelius asked suspiciously while putting on a happy façade. “I thought my cousin had already chosen her bridesmaids,” He looked to Twilight who gave him a disappointed expression which told him what he needed to know. “I see. Are you all sure this isn’t anything to be concerned about? Maybe we should all calm down and perhaps look into the matter?”

“Oh, don’t worry, Your Highness,” Rainbow Dash said. “With that shield spell, what could possibly go wrong?”

“Besides, who would possibly want to do anything that could ruin such a glorious event like the wedding of the wonderful Princess Mi Amore Cadenza?” Rarity said happily.

Everypony, including Twilight, failed to notice for a split second an angry glare form on the prince’s face.

“You sure this is what I should wear?” Rainbow asked looking over her dress. “Doesn’t seem all that aerodynamic.”

“Hmm. I’ll see what I can do,” Rarity said leading her and the others into another room leaving Twilight, Jewelius, and Vivian outside by themselves.

Twilight walked out of the room very disappointed.

“Sorry, Twilight,” Jewelius said. “See what I mean?”

“It’s okay, you tried your best,” Twilight assured him. “Looks like I really am on my own.”

“Twilight, I hope you aren’t thinking of doing anything… drastic,” Jewelius nervously warned her. “Be careful who you think you can trust. I fear someponies may not be what they seem.”

“Don’t worry,” Twilight assured him. “I’ve been taught by your aunt. I know what I must do.” Then she left leaving just Jewelius and Vivian.

“What do you make of this, Your Highness?” Vivian asked her master.

“I think we may need to make some alterations,” The prince answered concernedly.