• Published 7th Sep 2016
  • 536 Views, 7 Comments

A Simple Legend - Scorch215



The legend of a small band of soldiers who stood in the path of a mad alicorn.

  • ...
2
 7
 536

To Stand One's Ground

Lieutenant Raven Shield trotted down the halls of the Castle of the Two Sisters, the seat of power in all of Equestria. The unicorn mare had only transferred to this post less than a week ago and was still getting used to how different everything was from her last guard posting in the small city of Trottingham.

There everything had been more laid back and relaxed but here, due to being the face of the nation, the Royal Guards had to be completely presentable and look professional at all time so as to make a good impression on any foreign dignitaries that come by or visiting merchants from fall off lands.

While it was so different and the stress much higher Lieutenant Shield was a career guardsmare and wasn't going to let the stress get to her, plus there was always the stress relief of hitting one of the local taverns for a few drinks and maybe other activities if the stress started getting to her.

It was early morning and the unicorn was just finishing up her last patrol before her shift ended and she could relax before her week of leave. She had been lucky to be assigned to the interior of the castle itself rather than the surrounding town or patrol of the forest itself as she had heard there was a small incident involving a bar fight that spilled out into the street and several guard were injured trying to break it up.

Very rarely did anything worse than a lost dignitary happen inside the castle itself.

As the mare finished her patrol of the east wing she started to make her way towards the armory with a slight spring in her step as she hummed to herself as in a few minutes her shift would be over and her leave would start. Leaving the east wing the mare made her way down of the narrow stairwells used primarily by servants and thus it wasn't decorated like the main stairs were, just simple torches spaced evenly along the wall to provide the light needed to safely traverse the stairs.

Arriving in the lower levels of the castle the Royal Guard officer left the quiet of the upper floors and stepped into a symphony of noise as her fellow guards ponies went about either finishing up the last of their personal tasks or finishing up the last of their duties before heading out. Shift change was always a little chaotic due to the tired guards coming off shift and the fresh guards coming on. Friends greeted friends, guards talked about the events of the night; last minute orders were given and carried out. It was a perfect example of organized chaos at its finest.

The gray unicorn slowly weaved her way through the crowd on her way towards the armory to turn in her sword and after she dropped off her armor in her room she was out of this place.

As she stepped into armory she found she was luckily enough to have just missed the rush of guards either turning in their equipment or picking it up as there were only a few guards in line before the armory officer who was overseeing the exchange of equipment as the three privates actually handled the exchange itself.

As Raven got in line the armory officer noticed her and meandered over. "Well, well if it isn't the new lieutenant, was wondering if you had gotten lost on your way here since I didn't see you." The officer said with a small smile to show he wasn't being mean spirited.

Raven rolled her eyes. "Laugh it up Sergeant Hammer; you know that only happened once and on my very first night." Raven shot back with a playful glare.

While most everypony else either avoided her or treated her with the utmost respect due to her rank Sergeant Hammer had been in the guard for many years, running the castle armory for so long he knew most of the current officers from when they were cadets who didn't know which end of a spear you stabbed into the other person. That sort of history afforded him a bit of leeway with the other guards during off hours as everypony knew that he could be one of the most professional guards there is when needed but didn't see the point in doing so as "too much stress will make your mane turn gray early" as he always said. Ignore the fact his mane was naturally gray to begin with.

"So lieutenant got any plans for this weekend?" The sergeant asked her. If Raven hadn't know the armory officer to be happily married to his job she’d almost think he was going to ask her out on a date, not that she didn't like the stallion he was a good friend but definitely not someone she was looking for, not that she was looking anyways as she had her career in the guard to worry about without complicating matters by dating though she did plan to settle down someday.

Using her magic the unicorn removed her helmet revealing a blue and gold made that she scrubbed a hoof through to dispel the helmet head she was sporting before she spoke. "Not a lot, my parents will be coming up to visit and see how I'm settling into my new place is all."

The older stallion nodded. "Ah I remember those days. Been in the guard for years and parent still worry about whether or not you are eating proper meals like you can't take care of yourself." He said and Raven nodded. "I miss those days. Cherish them while you can lieutenant because when they are gone they will be one of the things you miss the most."

Raven nodded her head and had to admit while it could get annoying at times she did appreciate that her parents still worried about her.

"So did you hear what some of what the throne room guards have been saying?" Sergeant Hammer asked.

"I tend to ignore the gossip about the Princesses." Raven said with a shake of her head. She had always been one to avoid listening to rumors as she believe everypony was entitled to their privacy unless they themselves wanted something known.

"This is different lieutenant," The armory officer said. “It seems since Princess Celestia left the other day Princess Luna has been acting strange."

"Strange?" Raven asked, while she didn't believe in rumors if something was wrong with one of the rulers of the nation she had taken oaths to protect then she should know about it, especially with Princess Celestia out of the castle at some meeting with the griffins in the eastern part of Equestria.

Hammer nodded his head. "Yeah they say she's been muttering to herself and glaring off towards the east and several times she has ignored reports she has received do to being lost in thought or something." The older stallion said as Raven reached the counter and unbuckled the sword from her back.

"That is strange I'll give you that, but this is the first time she's has run the castle on her own so I am sure it is nothing." Raven said as she places her sword on the countertop to be turned it. As soon as her sword touched the counter the entire room shook slightly as a distant rumble echoed through the room.

The ponies in the room all looked around in a bit of confusion and Raven looked at Hammer before both of them nodded. Picking up her sword from the counter and strapped it to her back as she slammed her helmet back onto her head as she and Hammer headed for the door.

“Alright ponies, form up, we are going to investigate that noise.” She said as she moved, the mix of Lunar and Solar Guards quickly grabbed weapons handed out by the clerks and followed her, seems this was going to be a long night of paperwork and she was going to be pissed if it turned out to be nothing but a rookie guard screwing around with thunderclouds.

The hall outside the armory was now filled with a lot less chaos as guards had the same idea as Raven and were going to investigate the noise if they were already armed while other went to gear up in case of possible attack. They all formed up behind Raven as she was the highest ranking officer there and so she was in charge till they found either of the Captains of the Guards.

The group of guards climbed the stairs cautiously, not sure what they would find when they reached the main floors of the castle above.

Stepping out onto the main floor of the castle the first thing that became clear was that this was not some rookie guard making an ass of themselves as servants galloped down the halls in clear panic as some of the already on duty guards and recruits who looked to be scared shitless were directing them towards the exits. “You there, what’s going on?” Raven demanded as she approached one of the nearest guards.

The guard turned around and she saw the Pegasus was a private. “Unknown ma’am….there….there was a massive explosion on one of the upper floors….as…..far as we can tell it was near Princess Luna’s study.” The guard said hesitantly

Raven nodded. “Very well, remain here and continue to direct the servants to safety.” She order as she and the other guards started to push against the tide of fleeing servants as they made their way to the stairs which lead to the upper floors.

The upper floors were in much more chaos than the lower floors as the smell of smoke filled the air and servants ran every direction screaming as the hall shook with a violent explosion from elsewhere on the floor.

“Ready up!” Raven barked as she drew her sword and heard the sound of the others behind her doing the same, looking back she saw swords, spears, daggers, axes and crossbows all held in either mouths, hooves or magic with Hammer holding a large war hammer that was his weapon of choice and she nodded before pointing at one of the pegasi. “You, fly to Trottingham as fast as you can and inform Celestia the castle is under attack.” She ordered and the pegasus saluted before taking to the air and flying out the nearest window as fast as he could.

It was after glancing back at the group of Solar and Lunar guards that she saw the private from the floors below had joined the group and she glared. “What in the name of the gods are you doing up here? I gave you an order.” She said with annoyance.

“Ma’am all the servants on the lower floors have been evacuated so I came to help.” The Pegasus said still showing signs of fear but also determination, Raven could respect that in a young private and nodded.

“Very well but be careful, we have no idea who is attacking us.” She said as she looked forward and slowly the hoof full of guards began to make their way up the hall towards were the last explosion had been, Raven wondering where the Captains were as they should have been here.

The group soon reached a hall that was filled with signs of battle as the walls and floor were covered in scorch marks and creators from magical blasts and there standing in the middle of the hall holding the Solar Captain of the Guard up in her magic was the Wicked Mare of Darkness herself Nightmare Moon.

The Captain’s armor was dented and scorched as it was clear the earth pony had fought the Mare and lost as he hung there struggling to breath due to the magic around his throat, then with a flick of the horn the Captain’s head snapped nearly all the way around with a sickening pop and his lifeless body was dropped to the floor.

Slowly Nightmare Moon turned to face the new arrivals, fur so black that light couldn’t even escape, armor polished to reflect back the greatest fears of any who looked upon it. Her muzzle split with a sadistic smile as she looked at the combined force of Solar and Lunar Guards as they stared at her in fear.


“We can’t fight that.”
“This is crazy!”
“We aren’t equipped to fight Nightmare Moon!”

The guards all voices their fears as they gazed upon the mare who meant to bring Eternal Night to the land.

“Stow it!” Lieutenant Raven Shield barked as she stepped forward, sword held high. “Ready up! She does not leave this hall!” She barked as she raised her sword, Sargent Hammer raising his hammer just behind her as he snorted in determination

The other guards looked at the two ready to face down an alicorn without fear and slowly resolve and determination replaced their fear as they raised the weapons.

The Mare of Darkness laughed. “So you sun loving ponies think you stand any chance against me? Very well, I could use a small warm up before I face Celestia.” She said as she charged her horn.

“For Equestria!” The guards cried as they charged and the fight was on.

The pegasi took to the air and rained down crossbow bolts on the dark alicorn. Nightmare Moon raised a shield to block them and then fire a blast as the airborne ponies who dodged as best as they could in the narrow hall.

She was distracted from dealing with the pegasi guards as a sharp pain exploded in her shoulder and when she looked she saw an earth pony had buried a dagger hilt deep into her flesh. Scowling Nightmare Moon wrapped the guard in her magic and threw him against the wall hard enough for the stone to crack. She didn’t have time to ensure the guard was truly dealt with as she had to duck a magic blast from a unicorn guard up the hall and raise her shield as the two others with them fired their spells.

“I can play at that game too.” Nightmare Moon said as she charged her horn and fired her own magic blast, the three guards raised a shield moment before the blast struck. The shield lasted half a second before shatter and the blast struck the three guards and sent their blacked bodies sailing back up the hall.

The pegasi reloaded their crossbow and half of them fired bolt at the alicorn who sidestepped them and raised a shield towards them as the other two pegasi fired their bolts while the first two reloaded.

Two guards with spears charged the mare as she dropped her shield and morphed into a shadow. Sliding under the two guards and reformed between them and used her powerful wings to swat them to either side of the hall hard enough to break bones.

An earth pony mare landed onto her back and attempted to drag her sword across the alicorns throat and Nightmare Moon seized the sword and bucked the pony into the air and allowed her to fall onto her own weapon.

The Mare of Darkness hissed in pain as a bolt buried itself into her back and she looked up at the offending pegasi frantically trying to reload and her mane shot out. Seizing the winged pony she whipped her main and flung the unlucky guard into the wall so hard his body smashed through it sending cracks towards the ceiling and dooming it to collapse. Half a dozen guards’ cries of shock were cut off as half a ton of stone buried them.

Using her magic the Mare of darkness pulled the bolt from her back and incinerated it in annoyance.

“Come on! We can beat her!” Raven yelled as she teleported beside the mad alicorn and slashed at her with her sword only for it to pass harmlessly through her as Nightmare Moon became a shadow once more.

The shadow shot up the wall and above the three remaining pegasi and tendril shot out to seize two of them, the third barely dodging in time as he flew back towards the ground and avoided having his head smashed into the ceiling hard enough to cave in the helmets of the other two guards who weren’t so lucky.

Dropping the two lifeless bodies Nightmare Moon reformed in the air flapping her wings to stay aloft as one of the two remaining unicorns fired a magic blast at the airborne alicorn. “You sunlovers are beginning to grow annoying, why won’t you traitors just die!” She said as she charged her horn and sent a wave of flames through the hall that consumed all in its path.

Nightmare Moon allowed it to burn for a few seconds before she ended the spell and the flames vanished leaving the burned bodies of the guards who were caught in the flames. Save for the remaining pegasus and an earth pony with a hammer who had been saved by the remaining unicorn erecting a shield.

Raven panted as she dropped the shield and the three remaining guards stared up at Nightmare Moon. “This is insane…”The private said.

“No, this is what you signed up for.” Hammer said as he readied his hammer.

“Get ready, here she comes!” Raven yelled as Nightmare Moon swooped down towards them. The pegasus fired his last remaining bolt only to watch it be incinerated in midair and then the mare of darkness was upon them.

Hammer swung his large hammer only to be grabbed in the mare’s magic and lifted off the ground. He struggled for a moment before Nightmare threw the sergeant to the side and out the window, dooming the earth pony to the twelve story drop into the courtyard below.

“AAAAHHHH” The pegasus yelled as he tried the only option he had left and tacked the larger pony only to find it was like trying to tackle a brick wall. Idly the Mare of Darkness picked up the private and threw him to the side where he crashed into the wall and slide down it as she approached the officer who stood panting, her magic barely able to hold the hilt of her sword.


“I must say I am impressed lieutenant, not many ponies could rally anypony to fight an alicorn by just their mere presents.” Nightmare Moon said. “You are clearly more fit to lead then those two fools who called themselves Captains of the Guard so I’ll give you the same offer that they refused.” She said as she smiled. “Join me and help me take down Celestia and you shall be my general as I rule this land as its one true queen.”

“You will have power, rank, privilege; anything you wanted would be yours as my general.” She said and charged her horn. “Or you could make the same choice the Captains made and die; it is your choice Lieutenant.”

Lieutenant Raven Shield stood there shaking with exhaustion. She could barely stand and there was no way she could beat the alicorn before her and that same alicorn was giving her a way to survive. Slowly the exhausted guard looked around at the bodies of the other guards, dozens of well trained guards defeated with ease and that had been when they were fresh. Raven wouldn’t stand a chance alone and she knew it. She looked back at the alicorn before her, horn still charged ready to strike her down if she refused.

She took a deep breath and lunged.

<<<O>>>

“Then what happened?” A cyan pegasus wearing a black version of a Wonderbolt uniform asked from the cloud she sat on as she listened intently.

An earth pony stallion wearing an old worn clock sat on a bench an equally worn set of saddlebags beside him, before a crowd of ponies all dressed in various costumes as they either drank cider or snacked on different candies all sat before him listening intently.

The stallion scratched his hoof. “That’s it, Nightmare Moon faced Celestia after that and was banished till the Summer Sun Celebration a couple months ago.” He said.

“Awe come on, there has to be more!” The pegasus said as she crossed her forehooves over her chest and sulked.

“Rainbow Dash he did say it was a very old story and they didn’t follow modern story guidelines back then.” A purple unicorn mare dressed in a dark blue cloak and pointed hat with a fake beard said.

“It ain’t a story, it’s a legend, one past down for a very long time from traveler to traveler.” The stallion said.

“Either way ah ain’t sure if it was entirely appropriate to tell with foals around due to how graphic it got in some areas.’ An orange earth pony dressed as a scarecrow said as she held a small yellow earth pony filly close to her.

“Well i thought it was a super good story for Nightmare Night!’ A pink earth pony dressed as a chicken said. “It wasn't a scary story but was still about the night.”

The Stallion chuckled and slowly climbed to his hooves. “Yes that is true and it’s nice to see ponies interested in more than just scary stories on this night.” He said as he stretched. “Now if you'll excuse me i think that is enough storytelling for tonight.”

“Comone just one more story.” Rainbow Dash pleaded from her cloud. “These stories are awesome!” she said and the crowd murmured in agreement.

The stallion looked out at the the pleading faced of the ponies before him and rocked his head from side to side. “Well….I suppose there is time for one more story.” he said and a small cheer went up from the crowd as he retook his seat on the bench.

Author's Note:

Part of this chapter written on my cell phone before that idea was deemed to be terrible.