• Published 2nd Aug 2016
  • 4,763 Views, 26 Comments

A nervous crush - Small Muffin



Twilight has developed a crush on Sunset Shimmer, and finally decides to ask her out on a date.

  • ...
4
 26
 4,763

A nervous crush

It was a nice day at Canterlot High School, as the beginning of school bell rang, and everyone walked into the school. One of those students was an ex Crystal Prep student, Twilight Sparkle. She had transferred here after the Friendship Games about a month ago, and things were going very well for her so far.

She had more friends here than she ever could have thought about having back at Crystal Prep, such as Pinkie Pie, Rarity, AppleJack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and... Sunset Shimmer.

A small blush ran through Twilight's cheeks. While she didn't like to admit it, she had developed a bit of an incredibly large crush on Sunset over the last month. Just the thought of her being near made Twilight smile brightly.

It had started all the way back at the Friendship Games. After Sunset had saved Twilight's life, and accepted her as a frieind, she had put Sunset up on a kind of metaphorical pedistal. Sunset was so kind to her, always willing to help her out, or even just to sit down with her and listen to what Twilight had to say. Sunset was always there for her. That's not to say her other friends weren't there for her, far from it actually, but she didn't feel for the others like she did for Sunset.

As Twilight walked to class, she debated with herself over weather or not she should talk to Sunset about this. After all, she had always listened to Twilight in the past, so she would surely listen now, right? Then again, what if Sunset didn't understand her, what if she didn't feel the same way? What if she said no?

Twilight would be completely humiliated, and it could even ruin their friendship together. Sunset wouldn't be able to look at her again without knowing that Twilight thought about her the way she did.

Twilight walked into her homeroom, and quickly took a seat. She took a small look around the room at everyone else as her thoughts continued to wonder.

Twilight didn't even know if Sunset was into girls anyway. Apparently the only relationship she's had in this school was with Flash Sentry, and even then, both Flash and Sunset had said there was nothing between them back then. It wasn't a real relationship.

Aside from that, Sunset had never been in another relationship with anyone else here. It was probably because Sunset was a pony from another world, so she's probably into other ponies from her world, and would therefore have no interest in a relationship with a human.

Twilight sighed weakly. "But that just makes my chances even lower..." she mumbled.

"Everything okay dear?"

"Huh?" Twilight was snapped out of her train of thought to see one of her good friends, Rarity, right in front of her. "Oh... High Rarity. What did you just say?" she asked.

"I asked if everything was alright," Rarity repeated. She took a seat at the desk next to Twilight. "You seemed a bit, spaced out."

"Oh, did I?" Twilight replied, "Sorry about that. I'm fine." Twilight gave her best attempt at a fake smile.

"Really Twilight?" Rarity replied, "Because, I do hope you don't mind me saying this but, you don't seem alright. Did you not get enough sleep last night or something?"

"No, it's not that," Twilight replied dryly.

"Well then what is it?" Rarity pestered. "I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on."

Maybe Rarity could help her out, at least to some degree. Twilight doesn't necessarily need to tell Rarity that she has a crush on Sunset, but she could bring up that she has a crush on someone else.

"Well, ok then," Twilight began nervously. "You see... The thing is Rarity..."

"Yes..?"

"How do you, ask someone out?" Twilight asked.

"Ask someone out?" Rarity repeated.

"Yeah... You know, on a date?" Twilight mumbled.

"On a... Ooohhh," Rarity grinned and leaned closer to Twilight, "So, you've got your eye on a guy have you?" she asked quietly.

"Maybe..." Twilight replied. She thoght of Sunset once again, and a smile grew on her face.

"Twilight, you're blushing," Rarity giggled.

Twilight rubbed her red cheeks in an attempt to get the blush to fade away. "Okay, yes, I have a crush on someone."

"Well, who's the lucky guy?" Rarity asked with a large smile.

"I wouldn't really call him a lucky guy..." Twilight replied nervously.

"Oh nonsense, of course he's lucky! So who is it?" Rarity continued to pester.

"It's S..." Twilight stopped dead in her tracks. Someone else, absolutely anybody else just don't tell her it's Sunset!!! she thought to herself. "Does it really matter who it is?"

"Well I suppose not, as long as he isn't already taken for," Rarity replied.

"Just... How would you ask them out Rarity?" Twilight asked.

Rarity gave a small look at some of the boys around the room. "Well, if I were you, Twi, I would just go over and ask him."

Twilight raised an eyebrow in doubt. "Really? You'd just go and ask, just like that?"

"Yes, I would,"Rarity replied.

"You're sure that would work?" Twilight asked.

For you dear, yes, I am. I'm certain with your reputation, not a single guy in his right mind would turn you down."

"My reputation?" Twilight asked.

"And besides, you're never going to get anywhere if you don't ask him." Rarity stood up from her desk, "As long as he isn't already taken, I'm sure he'll say yes." Rarity said as she walked towards the door leading out of the classroom.

"How could you know that?" Twilight asked, but Rarity had already left the classroom.


It was now second period, and Twilight was heading towards her classroom for maths, but is was for a bit more than just for class. After her talk with Rarity, Twilight had spent her first free period in the library, preparing herself for this. She was gonna do just as Rarity has said. Just go over and ask her.

Twilight reached her classroom, and peered inside. There she was, sitting inside, accompanied with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, was the girl that Twilight had fallen for. Sunset Shimmer.

A crimson blush flushed Twilight's cheeks once again. "Just do what Rarity said, just go over, and ask her." She took a deep breathe, and entered the room. The girls looked like they were having a nice conversation, Sunset herself had a nice, bright smile on her face, and seeing her happy, made Twilight feel a bit happier as well.

"Hey girls..." Twilight began. It seemed like Pinkie was saying something, and the other two girls were paying her all the attention. "Um. Sunset?"

"Hm?" Sunset glanced over at Twilight, "Oh, hey Twilight. What's up?" Sunset asked.

"Can we... Um... Can I ask you something?" Twilight's heart began to race. This was it, it was now or never.

"Sure, what is it?" Sunset asked.

"Well... You see, um... Will you..." It wasn't made easier that she had to talk to Sunset over Pinkie Pie.

"What's wrong Twilight?" Sunset asked.

Just say it! Even if she says no, just get it over and done with! "Sunset will you go out with me!?!?" Twilight finally blurted out. The question she had wanted to ask her for pretty much as long as she had known her.

Sunset was speachless after hearing Twilight's question. She just sat there, looking at Twilight. "You..." Was all Sunset muttered.

Laughter began to fill the room, coming from some of the other students, including Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. "Alright, I'll admit, that was a good one!" Rainbow said as she roared with laughter with the others. "I haven't heard a joke like that in a while!"

"What?" Twilight looked around at everyone else in the room was laughing at her. Even Rainbow and Pinkie, her two friends were. "Um... I'm not..." A few tears began to form in Twilight's eyes and she felt as if her heart had stopped for a moment. She removed her glasses to give her eyes a wipe, as the laughter began to die down.

Rainbow noticed her crying freind, and called attention to her. "Twilight? What's wrong?"

"I WASN'T JOKING, OKAY!!!" Twilight yelled before running oit of the classroom, completely humiliated.

"But..." Pinkie began, "I thought I was the one telling the joke?" She scratched her poofy hair, rather confused.

"I thought you were," Rainbow replied, "I didn't even notice she was there until a few seconds ago."

"Did... Anyone else hear what she said?" Sunset asked rather slowly. She looked around at everyone else, who all either shrugged, or looked at someone else, expecting them to have the answer. "Okay... So no one else but me heard her?" Sunset asked.

"What did she say?" Pinkie asked.

"Yeah, what's going on?" Rainbow continued.

"I... I really need to talk to her!" Sunset immediately rose from her seat, and walked over to the classroom door, "I'll be back in a sec."


Twilight sat on a toilet in the girl's bathroom, crying her eyes out after being laughed out of the classroom. She felt completely humiliated.

What was she even thinking? Of course Sunset wouldn't say yes, she's a pony, therefore she's into other ponies, not humans like her. Even Pinkie and Rainbow laughed at her, her so called freinds. Right now, Twilight just didn't know what to do. Maybe it wasn't to late to transfer back to Crystal Prep.

"Twilight?" a voice called from just outside the stall, "It's me, Sunset."

"What is it?" Twilight sobbed.

"Um... I heard what you said," Sunset began, "What you asked me."

"Yeah, and so did everyone else in the room, and you all laughed at me!" Twilight cried.

"No, that's not it. That was Pinkie Pie telling a joke, the others didn't even hear you, I swear!"

"Really?" Twilight asked.

"That's right." Sunset was heard taking a deep breathe from the other side of the toilet stall door."But, I did hear what you said to me though, and I'm flattered."

"Flattered?" Twilight's tears had began to dry up. "Really?"

"Well, yeah. I mean, with your reputation Twi, you could have anyone in this whole school, and yet, you want to go out with me!"

Twilight opened the stall door to see Sunset on the other side, smiling, and glancing down at the floor. "What reputation? What do you mean, I could have anyone in this school?"

"Well... It's because of Princess Twilight," Sunset replied, "After everything she did, and you being this worlds version of her, I dount anyone would turn down a date with you."

"Hey, that's kinda like what Rarity said... That I should just ask whoever it was I wanted, and they'd almost definitely say yes."

"Well... I guess that's true. Especially Flash Sentry," Sunset giggled.

"Flash? The guitar player guy?" Twilight asked, "Why him?"

"Oh, the pony you is all over him," Sunset gave another small giggle.

"Really?" Twilight joined in, letting out a small laugh, "I guess he's not bad looking... But-"

"Why are you interested in me though?" Sunset asked.

"Well, why wouldn't I be?" Twilight asked back. "You're funny, you're smart, you're always there for me when I need you, you've got a great singing voice as the lead singer of the Rainbooms, you've been my frieind for as long as I've been here, and... You saved my life back at the Friendship Games... Why wouldn't I be interested in you, Sunset?"

"Oh... Anyway... Um..." Sunset began nervously, "I guess since you've already asked, it may as well be my turn so..."

"For what?" Despite asking that, it only took Twilight about a second to realize what Sunset meant, as a crimson colored blush ran across both of their faces.

Sunset swallowed her nerves, and took a deep, deep breathe. "Twilight... Do you wanna, hang out at Sugercube Corner after school? You know, just the two of us?" A small smile crept it's way onto Sunsets face as she finished the question.

"YESSSSS!!!!"

Before Sunset knew it, Twilight had tackled her to the ground, and was now laying directly on top of the poor unsuspecting girl. "Um... Sorry," Twilight apologized, as she quickly got off of Sunset, and offered her a hand to help her up.

As they both climbed to their feet, Sunset laughed nervously. "I've been trying for three weeks to ask that question..."

"What?" Twilight replied, quite stunned, "you've been wanting to ask me? She could feel her heart begin to race. Sunset had been wanting to ask her out? It amazed her.

"Yeah, I have," Sunset continued nervously, "but... I've never been that good with relationships. I mean, I've told you about me and Flash... And I... Never knew you were... You know..."

"I've always thought the same thing about you," Twilight replied.

Sunset laughed, there was some kind of uncertainty in her voice. "Yeah, that's kinda... So... I guess if we're going out... That makes us girlfriends, right?" she asked rather awkwardly.

"I guess so..." Twilight replied with a blush covered face. "You know, I always thought you were into... Ponies, you know, because of-"

"Because I am one?" Sunset laughed softly. "We can talk about that later. Long story short, I say it so other people won't ask me about my relationships." Sunset continued, "But anyway, we should probably get back to class right now."

"Good point," Twilight agreed, "Ow, one more thing. Can we not tell the others about this?" she asked, "At least, not right now?"

"Sure." Sunset nodded and took Twilight's hand by surprise, making both the girls blush even harder. "Now come on. Like I said, we should get back to class now. I'm sure they're all worried about us," Sunset said as she led her new girlfriend out of the bathroom, and back to their classroom.

Author's Note:

Just wanted to write something a bit nicer than my usual story, (Plus, favorite ship,) I hope it was ok.

This is my first attempt at anything to do with romance, so any comments or constructive criticism you may have is very much appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading my, probably not so great.

Comments ( 26 )

This was a really good story! I liked it, it was really cute, especially at the end there. Just a few typos that could be fixed though. :raritywink:

7445617 Glad you liked it. :pinkiehappy:
Unfortunately I've always had a problem with typos, I can never catch them until the story/chapter is already up. :twilightblush:

Bad story? Far from it my friend, it's actually very cute and simple, two things that I love in one-shot shipfics. Yet there is a lot of typos in your story, you should fix that sometime.

7445929 Thanks. I do try my best to catch all my typos. :twilightblush:
Honestly I'm not really sure it's all that good, it is my first ship-fic after all.

Kix

I enjoyed it, alot. Be interesting to see a sequel. As Aqua said, it could use some fixing up with the typos and grammar. Good work though otherwise

7445964 Thanks. Glad you liked it. :twilightsmile:

I'm not really sure if I'll be making a sequel, but you never know.

I really liked it. It short, sweet and well done.

Great Job, Plus i think it's perfect it be Sunset and Sci Twi in this story, Everyone seems to think she like Princess twilight, but while Sci Twi does have the ability to be as great as Princess Twilight, it in her own way.
The two are very different from each other and i think Sunset sees that, she was also seemly worried due to how Poplular Sci Twi is she may of already been asked out or gotten someone.
Fearing she lost her chance.

Heh very nice chapter i give it a thumbs up!

7446544 Glad you liked it. :twilightsmile:
Fun fact, my preferred SunLight ship is with Princess Twilight, but I have grown to like human Twilight/Sunset just as much recently.

Is too short for my taste, but is Sci-Twi x Sunset, so.. Instant fav x'D

7446729 Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Sci-Twi X Sunset = Heart pounding = Favorite = :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

7447576 :twilightsmile: Glad you liked it. :raritywink:

7445630 me either, my stories are full of them :ajsleepy:

7448538 Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Good story, I enjoyed it a lot.

It does have quite a few spelling and grammar errors though...

She had transefrered here after the Freindship Games about a month ago, and things were going very for her so far.

transferred
Friendship
Very adjective for
This is the first SunLight fic I read. :)

I'll just add that when you write a word where friend appears (friendship), you tend to put e before i. Which gives freindship.
It's just an observation. Really liking the story. ^_^

7497568 Thanks. Glad you liked it. :twilightsmile:

Sunset and Sci Twi. My favourite.

This is adorable. Nice work well done :twilightsmile:

Great job! I never really liked Sunlight but this one wasn’t that bad. It was nice!

As Twilight walked to class, she debated with herself over weather or not she should talk to Sunset about this. After all, she had always listened to Twilight in the past, so she would surely listen now, right? Then again, what if Sunset didn't understand her, what if she didn't feel the same way? What if she said no?

Only one way to find out of you just try to twilight. Sometimes the answer is different than you expect it to be.

Laughter began to fill the room, coming from some of the other students, including Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. "Alright, I'll admit, that was a good one!" Rainbow said as she roared with laughter with the others. "I haven't heard a joke like that in a while!"

She wasn't and that is just wrong to think that.

"I WASN'T JOKING, OKAY!!!" Twilight yelled before running oit of the classroom, completely humiliated.

Way to go rainbow, pinkie and everyone else who laughed at her, look what you've caused to happen. Thx a lot.

"For what?" Despite asking that, it only took Twilight about a second to realize what Sunset meant, as a crimson colored blush ran across both of their faces.

Seems like sunset has a crush on twilight as well?

Login or register to comment