• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 20,447 Views, 995 Comments

Prototype 2: Equestria Zero - 2ndGearSage



After encountering Alex Mercer and a new kind of Evolved, James Heller is sent to a strange new world-a world that is ill prepared to deal with a being such as him.

  • ...
60
 995
 20,447

Chapter 8

Chapter 8


‘I’m only doing this for the biomass this thing can give me, that’s all.’ This is what James Heller told himself when he charged in and kicked the dragon in the face. This is what he continued to tell himself as he watched the dragon slowly stand up and turn its hungry gaze towards him.

The forest was silent as both predators stared at each other for what felt like hours. Both were sizing each other up, the dragon looking nervously at the deadly blade on his right arm, while Heller reviewed its battles with the horses in an attempt to better understand its abilities.

“Well” The dragon finally spoke “That was some kick. For a creature so small, you sure know how to hit.” He rubbed his cheek as he said that, wincing slightly at the pain.” Speaking of which, what kind of creature are you anyway? I’ve lived in this forest for a long time and I’ve never seen anything quite like you before.”

“I’m the thing that’s going to rip your face off and wear it like a mask, nice to meet you.” Heller sarcastically shot back.

Chuckling slightly at the response, his eyes suddenly turned serious as he bared his fangs. “That was a pretty funny joke. Let’s see if you find this as hilarious.” Breathing in deeply, the dragon expelled a huge amount of flames at the marine.

Jumping into the air to avoid the vicious flames, Heller flipped in midair and used the momentum to send his blade crashing down on the dragons head, aiming to cleave the creature in two. Unfortunately he, like Rainbow Dash, had severely underestimated the dragons speed.

Swiftly spinning around, the dragon swung its tail at the airborne marine. The massive appendage smashed into him with tremendous force, interrupting his attack and sending him crashing into the dragon’s mountain home with tremendous force, the stone shattering from the impact. Now embedded into the mountain, Heller could only groan in pain as he tried to free himself. His efforts were interrupted when the dragons open palm suddenly smashed into him, forcing him even deeper into the mountain.

Grasping the marine in his talons, he pulled his arm out of the mountain and took a good look at the being that was now trapped in his clawed hands. “So much for ripping my face off” He said, mocking the seemingly helpless soldier. “You’re just like that pegasus: All bark no bi- AAH!” Dropping his prisoner to the ground, he gripped his hand in pain. Looking at it, he could see that his palms were bleeding heavily from several puncture wounds. Looking down at his opponent he could see why.

The creature’s arms had changed once again; in their place stood two large shields with spikes protruding out the front, the obvious cause of his injury. Not wanting to give his opponent a chance to recover, Heller shifted both arms from the shields to the hammerfists, leapt at the dragons face, and delivered a ferocious uppercut to its chin, the force of the blow nearly snapping its neck. Continuing the assault, he then delivered an equally as vicious right hook to its face.

The dragon stumbled backwards from the blow, only stopping to spit out several of its shattered fangs. He looked up just in time to see the creature launch itself at him and could feel the air leaving his lungs as both of the creatures massive fists slammed into his gut. Once again he found himself knocked on his back, gasping for air.

Unfortunately for him, Heller was nowhere near done. Shifting to the whipfist, he sent the elongated appendage towards the wounded beast and had it wrap around its tail. Grunting in effort, he used his monstrous strength to lift the enormous creature into the air. Swinging it over his head, he then slammed the beast into its own home, grinning in satisfaction as the stone shattered from the blow. The dragon, now in immense pain, slowly slid off his destroyed home before collapsing face first on the ground.

Heller carefully watched the prone body of the dragon, not letting his guard down for an instant. There was one thing he had learned during his days as a soldier and later during his days as a living virus: Nothing ever died easy.

His words soon proved to be correct; the dragon’s body stirred slightly before rising. It was a slow process; the dragon moaned in pain and cursed under its breath with every move it made and actually fell back down several times. Heller knew he should have attacked by now, but the situation was so amusing to watch, he couldn’t help but sit back and laugh at the dragon’s agony. “Need help?” He asked with a grin.

The dragon glared at him with pure hatred in its eyes before attempting to stand once again. Putting his left hand on the mountain as support, he slowly began to rise. ‘Now we can’t have that.’ Heller thought as his hands morphed from the whipfist to the arms of the tendrils. ‘Time to feel the pain asshole.’

The dragon, nearly standing up, cried out in pure agony as he felt something pierce his left hand multiple times. Looking at it, he saw that his hand had been impaled by several black and red tentacles, blood gushing out of the wounds like a river. Trying to pull his hand free only resulted in another cry, quickly realizing that the tentacles had gone right through his hand and into the mountain.

He was stuck.

He had one second to process that thought before he heard a dark chuckle come from the creature. Turning his head to look at it, he felt something that he’d never think a dragon such as himself would ever feel: fear.

The creatures arm had turned back into the blade, still looking as deadly as ever. But this time that wasn’t what was frightening him.

It was the look of manic glee that was on the creatures face as he observed his helpless victim. “No bite huh? Let me show you what kind of bite I have.” He coldly spoke, before jumping into the air towards the helpless dragon, his blade aimed at its immobile limb.

The sound of steel slicing flesh was only drowned out by the sound of screaming.

Any pain that the dragon felt before was immediately forgotten. This new pain, a pain so intense that he couldn’t even believe it was real, overloaded his brain and almost made him lose consciousness.

As he stared at the bloody stump that was his left hand, he almost wished he had.

His severed left hand was still impaled to the mountain and below it, covered in his blood, was the creature, that same manic look on his face. “Aw, don’t scream just yet.” He spoke with glee. “Cause you’ve got a lot more limbs to lose and a lot more pain to feel!”

“You bastard!” It roared, the pain having been replaced by rage. He sent a punch towards the creature with his remaining hand in an attempt to crush him.

Changing his hands back to the hammerfist, Heller easily caught the fist and refused to let go when the dragon tried to pull it back. With the hammerfist greatly increasing his strength, he was able to lift the dragon over his head with much greater ease than before and slammed it back down on its back with devastating force, the impact stunning it.

Taking advantage of its stunned state he ran towards the dragon’s hand, took a hold of its index and middle talons, and began to pull. The sound of muscles tearing and bones popping drowned out everything, even the sounds of the dragons screaming. Giving an animalistic roar, Heller tore the talons off the dragons hand with a sickening crunch.

Lifting his right hand, the dragon stared in horror at the missing appendages before screaming in pain yet again.

Throwing the bloodied talons to the side, Heller jumped into the air and lifted both hammerfists above his head as he began to descend over the dragons head, aiming to slam them both down and crush the creature’s skull.

Only when the dragon opened its mouth and he felt the heat coming from it did he realize that maybe that wasn’t the best choice.

He didn’t even get a chance to scream before the flames washed over his body.

The stream of fire continued to blast into the air for a few more seconds before slowing down and eventually stopping. The dragon, still on its back, was breathing heavily, both out of fatigue and fear.

‘That was close. If he hadn’t jumped into the air when he did…’ He shivered at the thought. Rolling over on his stomach, he carefully began to stand up using only his legs, his left hand gone and his right hand too injured to use.

After some difficulty, he finally managed the task and looked around the now devastated area to see if he could locate the creature’s remains.

He found them. Just a few feet away from him lay the unmoving form of the creature, the flames still burning its body.

The dragon looked at the burning corpse with his mouth wide open. He almost couldn’t believe it. The creature was dead. The thing that had nearly killed him, a dragon, now lay burning just a few feet away from him.

He continued to stare for just a few more seconds before he started to chuckle. That chuckle soon turned into full blown laughter as the reality of what just happened finally caught up to him.

The creature was dead! He had won! He may have lost a hand and a few fingers in the process but victory was his! He would have done a victory dance were it not for the pain he was feeling. Instead, he settled for lifting his head and laughing to the heavens over his victory.

“What’s so fucking funny?”

He froze.

‘No.’

He lowered his head.

‘No.’

He located where the voice came from.

‘No.’

His eyes fell on the creature.

‘nonononononononono….’

The creature was standing. Its shirt and jacket had been incinerated and it stood only in its pants.

And it was still burning.

The flames continued to attack its body, pieces of its skin slowly melting away. Its rib cage was visible, as were the bones of its right hand. Where bones were not visible, the pink flesh of its muscle tendons were. Its face was the hardest hit though: almost all the skin and hair had burned away and the dragon found himself staring into the burning eyes of a near skeleton.

But the creature didn’t look like it noticed that its body on fire. It didn’t even look like it was in pain.

It just looked pissed.

And the dragon knew all that rage was focused on him.

The dragon was shaking now, its eyes wide with terror. Its breathing had halted and its mouth felt dry.

When it did speak, it spoke in a whisper “What are you?”

The creature said nothing, it just continued to glare.

The dragon, utterly terrified now, finally shouted “WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU!”

The creature finally opened its mouth and when it did, it spoke with a fury that made the dragon take a step back.

“I’m something you can’t kill.”

Then it leapt at him.

He couldn’t help it. He actually screamed in terror when that demon from hell came soaring towards him.

It was only when it leapt in his open mouth and he swallowed on reflex did he quickly regret that action.

At first nothing happened. Nothing hurt and he couldn’t feel the creature moving.

That’s when the pain started.

All the pain he felt before, from being slammed into the mountain to having his hand sliced off, nothing could prepare him for what he was feeling at this very moment.

He screamed in pure agony as he felt something tearing him apart from the inside. He used the remaining talons on his right hand to claw at his stomach, leaving deep gashes in his skin as he desperately tried to get to what was causing him such torment.

He didn’t have to wait long.

Countless tendrils burst out of the dragon’s body bathing the area and the dragon with blood. The tendrils writhed in the air, oblivious to the creature they had just mortally wounded.

Despite the grievous wounds, the dragon was still standing, wobbling on its feet. It opened its mouth as if to say something, but the only thing that came out was blood.

It stood standing for a few more seconds before tilting forward and violently crashing into the ground.
The dragon’s eyes were open, but they lacked any light to them, having died long before he hit the ground.

The dragon’s body remained unmoving as silence returned to the forest once more.

That is until a strange sound was heard.

The sound was coming from the dragon’s body which was slowly beginning to change. Its body started to break down, its scales disappearing. In their place were a writhing mass of black and red tendrils. Slowly, the writhing tendrils began to get smaller and looked as if they were being absorbed by something that lied in the middle. Eventually, a human like shape began to become visible as the tendrils continued to be absorbed by it. When all the tendrils were absorbed, the only thing that remained was the human like shape, its body completely covered in the writhing tendrils. Slowly, the tendrils began to disappear and clothing and skin started to become visible.

When the tendrils completely vanished, what stood there was a healed, rejuvenated, and satisfied James Heller.

“Damn that felt good.”


A/N: Well that’s the chapter. Hope it lived up to all your expectations. I actually had to put Prototype 2 back in so I could see how the consuming process looked. Don’t know if I got all the details right, but I think I did a good job.