• Published 29th Jul 2016
  • 5,862 Views, 40 Comments

Scootaloo is All Alone - Flutterpriest



Scootaloo finds herself all alone in her home.

  • ...
9
 40
 5,862

Abandoned

It wasn't until I laid down, did I even think that none of them would ever be coming back.

A whimper escaped my mouth and I closed my eyes, lying in front of the front door. It had felt like years since Mom and Dad left, and with the days blurred together in this house, maybe it really had been that long already. The welcome rug at the door now had its fabric matted in the shape of my form, knowing that would be where I would wait and the lights in the dimly lit house, giving the illusion that somepony would be home soon.

'Come on, Scootaloo,' I thought to myself. 'Stay positive! Just like Applebloom and Sweetie Belle would be...'

Optimism is an easy thing to say or imagine. However, it is much harder to put into practice.

I rose from the mat of the front door and sauntered into the living room, filled with photos of my Mom and Dad. I moved to the recliner that my dad would spend his nights, sitting quietly, reading the paper, listening to Mom talking about her day.

A bitter feeling boiled from my stomach and into my throat. I closed my eyes and focused on the chair, imagining the picture of Dad so clearly. My body shivered as I tried to make the picture in my head real. I hoped that when I opened my eyes he would be sitting there, as if nothing had ever happened. Then he would call me squirt, let me sit in his lap, and we could read the comics together. Just like how it used to be.

However, there won't be a normal now. Not anymore.

I realized then that I had finally accepted it. My parents abandoned me. They left long ago with no intention to return. Moreover, they left some... human to care for me. Now he's gone too.

Instead, it's just me, all alone in this quiet, empty house. I opened my eyes, his chair was empty, and I shattered. A tear formed in my eye as I moved to the chair quietly and climbed up into it. I curled into a small ball on the lay-z-horse, resting my head on one of the arms.
The minutes ticked by from the grandfather clock in the corner, each second feeling like it took longer than the last. I stared at the photo sitting on the table beside the chair, where many a cup of coffee had rested after dinner.

Mom and Dad look so happy in it. I look so happy in it. What went wrong?

Did I do something to disappoint them? Why else would Mom and Dad simply just... leave? They said they'd be back later... hours ago. Now it's getting close to bedtime and I'm all alone. Who will tuck me in or kiss me good night? Who would tell me that they love me as I closed my eyes? Who... would love me anymore?

I closed my eyes and rested in Dad's chair, smelling the lingering scent of his cologne. My stomach burned with appetite. I could try to make dinner for myself, I suppose. But Mom and Dad say I'm too young to use the oven by myself. As hungry as I am, I couldn't find the will to move from the spot. Should I call the girls and tell them that I was an orphan now? What if Mom and Dad came back? Even after all this time? Would the human get in trouble?

I don't want to get anypony in trouble.

I opened my eyes and shifted my position in the chair. My eyes moved to the scooter, laying on the floor in pieces. One of the bearings gave out, so I've been saving my allowance money to get a replacement. Now that Mom and Dad aren't here... how would I get the allowance to fix the scooter? In fact, how would I get money to pay for food?

I can't pay for this house. I can't be an adult. I took a deep breath, and tried to recompose myself.

Then, I heard the door crack open.

"Hey, Scoots. I'm back,” said a low voice.

My head shot up and I leaped to my hooves. It's the human! He's back!

"Anon!" I called out, feeling my heart leap out of my chest.

"Sorry that took so long. You wouldn't believe the line at the store. But I managed to snag the last scooter bearing for you while I was there."

My tail wagged so fast that it knocked over a vase as I galloped to the front door. I wasn't alone! I wasn't abandoned! The human wouldn't leave me.

How could I have been so blind? He loved me.

"I brought back the movie and food- Hey! What's up squirt?" Anon said, his attention drawn to me as I charged at him.

I leapt in the air, my wings fluttering their fastest to keep me a float, and wrapped my hooves around his leg.

"You're back! You're back!" I cheered.

"Well, uh. Yeah. You looked sad, so I went and got stuff for a movie night while your Parents are on their weekly date."

My eyes shot open.

"Oh. Right. It's date night for Mom and Dad tonight." I asked.

"Uh, yeah. That's why I'm babysitting you. We do this every week. Did you forget again?"

My eyes darted around the room.

"Ummm, no?" I said.

"Are you lying?" he asked.

"Y-yes."

"And you thought you were abandoned again?"

"I-is it so hard to believe?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah. You have two loving parents that care for you. You really need to keep the whole I'm going to be an orphan thing under wraps."

"Y-yeah," I said, laughing to myself. "You're right. I'm just being silly."

I then decided it would be smart to let blood flow to Anon's leg, so I dismounted. Trotting over to the couch, I breathed a sigh of relief. Everything was fine. I was simply overreacting. Anon brought in a bag of popcorn and the movie and turned his attention to me.

"Well, let's get your mind off of all the sad orphan thoughts with a movie. Sound good?" Anon asked.

"Sure!" I added. "What are we watching?"

Anonymous smiled and put the tape in the VCR as I sat on the couch.

"I brought one of my favorite superhero movies tonight! Batmare! I'm sure you'll just love it."


Anonymous was never allowed to babysit for me again.

Author's Note:

Little known fact: Ponies act like puppies when left alone.

Comments ( 40 )

I love it~ Thanks for the fun read!

7436235 I'm just as confused. :rainbowlaugh:

Funny.
Really was beginning to think Scoots was a abandoned there at the start.
I take it Batmare is just a little to grown-up for a filly.
And a VCR, thats so old school. Maybe they actually use betamax.

7436256
7436245
It's a joke to the superhero Batman. The joke makes the logical leap that Scootaloo watched a movie where a pony's parents were murdered and the filly became a super hero.

Given that Scootaloo was dealing with feeling abandoned... it probably wasn't the smartest choice of movie for him to choose. I wanted the reader to walk away with "OH GOD. SCOOTALOO WONT HANDLE THAT MOVIE WELL."

She's going to add the scene of the parents being shot in Batmare in her memories as her own now isn't she? :scootangel:

I thought this story might foal me with an empty feeling, but I actually found it quite filly.

7436263 OHHHHHHHHH. Wow, considering how much I adore Batman, I'm shocked I didn't get that. :rainbowlaugh:

7436289
I'm so proud of you :heart:

7436293
Sometimes ya just gotta do these things on the fly.
Oh wait.

7436298
Daaaaaamn! :pinkiegasp:
That one really killed my parents. :rainbowlaugh:

7436303
With that joke I don't know whether to cry orphan myself and say "oh mercy" from laughing too hard.

7436306
I'm sure no matter what, you'll be quite the Joker :rainbowkiss:

Why batmare though?

I think batmane would have been more appropriate.

7436308
Careful, at this point you're Robin me of some quality comic book puns. I harley know what to say.

7436312

It's fine, my puns are the Bane of fimfic's existence. I always go Wayne too far. You gotham be kidding if you think I'll give up so soon. I can't even penguin to consider what sort of puns you have next, but at this point, you'll have to Nightwing it.

7436317


...
...I...

Well fine then, I only have one thing to say to you:
OFFICE. LOVE. WHEN. BITCH.

I wish anyone wrote a story for me. I think imma gonna work on making my name here to have that happen.

Little known fact: Ponies act like puppies when left alone.

Head-canon accepted.

7436317

I don't think you Superman what you're doing.

just adorable.:yay:

7436251 Eh, it could be one of those VCR/DVD player combos.

I used to feel like this when I was a child.

Thank you for reminding me that I used to act like a puppy.

:fluttercry:

</3

I wasn't going to read this, until I learm there are bad puns so I'll read it later.

Batmare! :rainbowlaugh:
Perfect movie choice, 10:moustache:/10

Oh, I assumed the reason Anonymous never babysat for her again was because babysitters aren't supposed to go to the store and leave their charge alone. :ajbemused:

Scootaloo is adorable, unsurprisingly. Well played!

Heh.

I have one complaint, why do people always use Anon? Is it a Tumblr thing?

7437539

4chan. Because they like to. That's all there is to it. Too many elitists try to use every argument in the book to say it's bad writing and lazy or whatever, but they're all mouthy hypocrites who defeat themselves with their own arguments and don't even realize it. Just consider Anonymous stories their own separate sub-genre.

7437539 I think it is a bit stupid too, it is as annoying as if he would be called I don't know, some other name we don't like.
I mean someone told me it was because they don't want to use a name we don't like, but well I don't like Anon either, so why not at least nobody or something similar stupid.

Could be worse. He could've brought back Spidermare and Uncle Ben's.

I had to read the comments to understand the thought behind the whole "never babysat for me again" line, too. Frankly, there is just too much about batman movies in general that might be filly-nightmare-fodder, so the trite Origin Story scene does not spring to mind to start with.

Editing Opportunity detected!


I kinda want to see a Super Scoots kicking flank and taking names all over a dystopian future Ponytropolis, now.

You monster! How could you toy with our emotions like that?:raritycry:

Welp now i know how my dog feels

7648777
[youtube=O_J-XwrYSzw]
[youtube=xCsvDz761Ho]

Ponies act like puppies...
Headcanon accepted wholely and completely.

First person? ... Uhu.
That's new, but Not quite for me.

"I brought one of my favorite superhero movies tonight! Batmare! I'm sure you'll just love it."

Ouch.

I think I liked Scootaloo's parents more when they were dead.

The first time I read this I half-expected the movie to be Annie (or the Equestrian equivalent) instead of Batmare.

Login or register to comment