• Published 1st Aug 2016
  • 899 Views, 11 Comments

Changelings: A Summary - HypernovaBolts11



An explanation of the way changeling biology and culture works in my most popular series. This is a collection of notes taken by Twilight Sparkle on information gathered from Fangheart, my OC.

  • ...
2
 11
 899

Hive Minds

A hive mind is like a network of computers, but each computer is actually a brain, and the network exist in the connections between them. They directly control the actions of the changelings connected to them, and feed information to any linked changelings, who are somewhat loosely connected.

There are four separate hive minds at any given point in time.

One is for the queens to share throughout time, serving as a backup storage of the information necessary to make the hundreds of decisions that rest on her shoulders and any memories she may not have the capacity to hold in her own brain. She is always linked to it, and can fully integrate herself into it from time to time. It is not connected to any other hive mind, with the queen alone keeping it from true isolation.

One is for the workers, who spend their first month after hatching linking up to it, and then the rest of their lives fully connected to it. It is directly connected to the queen, but not to another hive mind.

One is for the infiltrators, who are only either linked to or separate from it. They link to it between missions, and sever the connection when incognito. It is directly connected to the queen, so that she can direct the infiltrators.

One is for the spies, who are either fully connected while on duty and independent while gathering food and water. It is linked to the queen, so she can access all of the information about potential targets, and directly connected to the infiltrators' hive mind, so they can research their chosen targets.