• Published 1st Aug 2016
  • 904 Views, 11 Comments

Changelings: A Summary - HypernovaBolts11



An explanation of the way changeling biology and culture works in my most popular series. This is a collection of notes taken by Twilight Sparkle on information gathered from Fangheart, my OC.

  • ...
2
 11
 904

Spies

Spies are a subclass of soldiers, who almost never return to the hive once they reach maturity, and will spend their time monitoring targets and relaying information to their hive mind, which is connected to that of the infiltrators. They rarely break away from the hive mind, and only separate from it to gather food or disguise themselves from their targets.

A spy will be evicted from the hive after choosing its career, and receive orders to travel to one of the hundreds of outposts strewn across Equestria. It will remain there with a group of two or three other spies for the majority of its life, standing entirely still as it becomes the hive's eyes, ears, and nose, feeding sensory input into the hive mind shared by the spies, using its own brain sparingly to identify anything of importance that moves.

It will only separate from the hive mind and leave its post to gather food and water, or greet any infiltrators who are tracking a target that it spots frequently. It may return to the hive after several decades of serving it this way, to receive an honor of the greatest heroes in the changeling world, a name.

There are incidents of spies going rogue and running off into the woods or up north, never to be seen again, but this only happens on occasion, and there are always more spies waiting for a post.

I pointed out to my associate that these rogue spies might just transform into one of their deceased or captured targets, and live amongst the native population of sentient creatures, having children and living out their lives as truly independent.

This gave him pause for thought, and he told me that I was probably right.

It would appear as though I am not talking to the first rogue changeling.