• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 309 Views, 8 Comments

The King's Shadow - Plot Hole



Twilight and the Elements try to end Sombra's legacy once and for all.

  • ...
 8
 309

Final: New ways of thinking

From miles away, Princess Cadence could feel Spirit and Morning Glory's love sending a shockwave through the Crystal Empire, like an explosion.

She suppressed a grin when she imagined how intense that explosion would be tonight.

Prince Umbra and his vassals stood away from the others. Cadence took a few steps toward them, deliberately putting a warm smile on her face to put them all at ease.

"Nopony's going to lock you all up," said Cadence. "Let me arrange a private train to Ponyville."

"I told you," said Umbra. "I'm not interested in studying Celestia's ways."

"I know," said Cadence. "There's a third option."

#

Several days later, with Steel, Nightshade, Lydia and Umbra working hard, they put the finishing touches on their hut out in the Everfree Forrest. It was primitive, this wide, circular hut. But well made with plenty of room for the four of them.

Umbra had long since shed his cloak. He wasn't used to the southern heat, nor manual labor, and he was sweating. The fatigue and the camaraderie of working with the others did a lot to shake off the lingering feeling of that amulet.

After eating dinner with the others, he let himself in to Zecora's hut.

"You've had a stressful several days. It is good to see you gay," said Zecora.

"What makes you think I'm- oh. Happy. Yes," he said. "I had a castle in mind. On another world, of course, I didn't want to stay here. Still, this is much better than camping in the frozen wastes."


"Everything you wanted was within your grasp, but for the lives of ponies, it was too much to ask," said Zecora. She stopped a moment to pour a red liquid into the pot.

Umbra opened his notes, reading from a scroll, and he laid out some of the herbs he'd gathered.

Zecora inhaled the steaming mist from the pot, then looked at Umbra as she spoke again.


"Alchemy is all you really can learn from me. How to live your life, you know already. The one thing that life can not take is the wisdom to weigh the choices you make. A crown on your head cannot heal your soul, nor can eternal life ease your woe. Underneath your anger, so heavy and dark, you remain the pony that you are, and although you see the world as an enemy, still you chose mercy. For no reward, you granted this mercy for free. Because that is the pony you chose to be."

Umbra didn't respond to that as he ground his gathered herbs. He wasn't sure it was as complicated as all of that. There were some lines that he would never cross. It didn't speak of a massive shift in his outlook for the world.

Still, all choices have consequences. For immortality, the consequence would have been blood on his hooves from the murder of an entire city. As far as consequences go, studying in a beautiful forest with a brilliant alchemist wasn't a bad consequence for choosing mercy. It wasn't an ageless castle on the edge of eternity, but at least he could look himself in the mirror.


#

Owlowiscious gave a soft hoot in the pre-dawn hours, watching with worry as his master tossed and turned in her bed.

Twilight Sparkle woke up in a jerking motion, as if someone had just grabbed her. She blinked hard and took a moment to calm her racing heart.

Nightmares every night this week.

She dragged herself out of bed and into the kitchen, not wanting to wake Spike for some tea. She brought a steaming cup back to her room and sipped from the calming brew.

It was sort of weird, the nightmares. She didn't feel any fear reading the journal. It was only asleep, when she let her guard down.

She supposed it must be because Sombra's thoughts were so against her own innocent pony nature.

She knew she should stop reading it. But there was a book in the chest by her bed with ideas and dark knowledge that she never would have thought of. It was like asking Fluttershy to stop talking to animals.

She couldn't resist. She opened the chest and took the book out again.

Owlowiscious cocked his head and hooted at her, but she didn't listen. The feathers on his neck stood on end as a small, thin smile spread across Twilight Sparkle's face.

Comments ( 3 )

Why do I smell Sequel Bait...?

7575655

Lol. Yeah I had an idea. This one's going to be shorter and hopefully work as a stand alone.

Ty for the comment and reads.

Login or register to comment