• Published 8th Aug 2016
  • 1,235 Views, 20 Comments

A Glimmer of Truth: Book One - NightmareTRXY32



Starlight Glimmer wasn't one to reveal many secrets even to her new friends, but there was one secret that even she had no knowledge of, a secret that Twilight would discover by accicdent when reading one of Starswirls journals.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,235

Ghosts of the Past Part 2

1000 years before Current Events
Castle of the two Sisters

Dont fight it anymore, the voice told her.

And along with that a memory.

"Why protect your imperialistic interests?", King Sombra mused in front of Luna," You are far more fit to rule then your sister."

And now it all came to a head, as if by prophecy. It was breaking Celestia's heart that she even had to fight against her own blood. She knew she was still inexperienced when it came to becoming a leader, but she tried to do her best all the same. Even so, she didn't want this. She tried to talk Luna down to no avail. She could see that pain that was forming in her younger sister's eyes.

Celestia wanted to curse herself for allowing this to even come to pass. That she'd have to banish her own sister if it came to it was becoming a stark reality now. She turned the corner to the entrance to the throne room just in time to find her sister rounding the other corner near her throne. She didn't want to do this, but Celestia realized she had no choice in the end. Celestia held her breath while she sister began speaking.

" How could you do this to me, Tia?", a pale blue alicorn screamed at the one now in front of her. Her Sister, Celestia, or Tia as was a family nickname. Her emotions were raw and on the verge of bursting forth like a flood.

Celestia could feel the emotions in her sister's words. She desperately wanted to do anything she could to reassure her that thing's between them would get better. That what Starswirl had told them both wasn't just a lie.

Celestia had honestly believed him when he said he had prophesied that the two of them would bring peace and harmony to the land after their defeat of the Lord Of Chaos Discord. If Celestia only knew the truth behind Discord's origin's, she would have taken a more subtle course of action.

"Luna, please understand, I wasn't trying to lie, I only wanted to protect you." was her response, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. She could see the hatred growing in her little sister's eyes like a dam being unleashed.

" Spare me, you promised equal control, and after everything we suffered at the claws of that mal content Discord, This is how you repay me?!", She was tired. Tired of all the lies being spared at her expense. Tia and her counsel Starswirl had promised Luna that she and her older sister would rule the kingdom of Equestria together as equals, but as time wore on that was proving less and less true.

The bitterness and jealousy had been building within her heart for the longest time until she could bare no more of it. It needed a valve, a release of some kind. That release came in the form of a split consciousness, a second personality that had been given form and reason because of Luna's growing resentment and bitterness.

A personality that came to be known as Nightmare Moon. One whose only duty was to get rid of the only obstacle in her way for ruling the Kingdom alone, her sister Celestia. As the transformation took hold of her, Luna fell into a listless sleep for what seemed like forever. Nightmare Moon was in control now.

"No..," Celestia muttered," please sister, it doesn't have to end like this," She tried to plead with the being that was once Princess Luna, but not one word seemed to get through to her sister. Starswirl had promised them that he had foreseen them ruling the lands of Equestria.

Peacefully even, but the more she thought about it, the more it seemed that even this prophecy might have been misinterpreted.

She tried to think of everything she could to talk her sister down, there was a way to stop her maddened sister, but it was something that she had only considered as a last resort. It was something that she'd live to regret. It was a regret that would leave a hole in Celestia's heart for almost a thousand years until a meeting with a small purple unicorn.

There was only one recourse as of this moment, she thought. I Must banish her. I have to lure her away from the throne room, Celestia thought to herself. As the alabaster alicorn took to the air, she could hear her sister scream after her.

"Where do you think you're going?!", Nightmare screamed at Celestia, taking flight as to chase down what was essentially her only flesh and blood relative.

The two exchanged magic bolts with each other until Celestia was winded by a lucky shot and sent through the roof of the Castle's cathedral, and also the housing for the Elements of Harmony. As she picked herself up off the ground, Celestia could hear her sister's now insane cackling in the distance.

"Why Luna, why couldn't you have waited. Why my sister.", The princess and Goddess of the sun was now drowning in her own tears as she opened the vault doors and brought the pedestal that contained the Elements to the surface.

"My dear Luna," she choked out in between sobs," You leave me no choice but to use these," And with that last statement she soared high into the air. Oh Luna, please forgive me someday. I still love you, my little sister.

Choking back tears, Celestia activated the Elements and sent a massive beam of rainbow colors hurtling towards her own sister. in a flash of brilliant white light, Nightmare was gone, blasted to the surface of the moon to endure a thousand years of exile.

As Celestia stared at the moon, something her sister had once sung to her came to the front of her mind.

"Do you want to see the moon rise?", As soon as she whispered that one lyric she fell to her haunches, her scream echoing in the night, mixed with tears or sorrow and regret.

"Lunnnnaaaaaa!"