• Published 8th Aug 2016
  • 1,237 Views, 20 Comments

A Glimmer of Truth: Book One - NightmareTRXY32



Starlight Glimmer wasn't one to reveal many secrets even to her new friends, but there was one secret that even she had no knowledge of, a secret that Twilight would discover by accicdent when reading one of Starswirls journals.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,237

The Queen's Gambit

This was risky they both thought. Celestia could have Chrysalis in a dungeon or killed if this failed to work out. Both she and luna shared a concerned look with one another as they both approached the throne room. The Guards on duty let them pass, most likely under the thought that Luna was bringing the Queen in for questioning after capturing her.

"Look at me ", she thought to herself, " Why am i so nervous right now." it was a valid thought to have. Most of the time she would have just forced her way in and used her magic to control the situation. This was different. For the first time in a long time, Chrysalis was openly relying on another to help her with something. They really had no idea what to expect. Celestia had always seen her as a threat to keep in check. Now here she was presenting herself to the Sun princess in a defeated stance. She had to though. Seeing how strong her daughters had become both filled her with pride and terror after hearing Luna describe what happened when she became Nightmare Moon.

If Chrysalis had known back then what was going on between Celestia and Luna she might have stepped in and stopped Luna from becoming a living Nightmare. As they continued down the hallway she hugged her youngest daughter and tried to reassure her that their plan would work. That Celestia would be open to hearing her out and revealing the truth of why she was here in the first place.

"Luna," Chrysalis said nervously," Whatever happens, know that I've never stopped loving you,", as she spoke Luna wrapped her fore hooves around the Queen's neck and hugged her. With that, the two of them prepared for what may come as they openned the doors to the throne room. Celestia was signing several documents when she looked up to see them enter.

She let herself believe that her sister had spent time away from Canterlot for something that couldnt be discussed. What she didn't know was that it was Chrysalis who had sought out Luna to speak to her in private. As she sat on the throne, she couldn't forget the things Chrysalis had done during the first two Changeling invasions. She also scolded herself for underestimating the Queen's magical power the first time around.

This had been the first time in centuries that Chrysalis had stared at Celestia not in a threatening or defiant manner, but as a mother returning to see her children that she hadn't glimpsed in forever. She could still remember what they both looked like when they were just small foals, barely able to remember her face before she was cursed.

Celestia could only stare at Chrysalis with visible contempt in her eyes. If only she knew the truth before this day had to come. She was about to learn something that she wished wasn't true in the slightest. Her mentor and teacher Starswirl was always held to such high degree. Even more so with Twilight, she had recently learned. Her former student was always fangirling anytime Starswirl's name came up. She wanted to join her so many times, but she decided it was against her better judgment to do that. She was a Princess and she had a kingdom to rule. Taking a title like Queen was deemed distasteful according to Starswirl the Bearded.

"Wait," Celestia thought,"Why does Chrysalis look so tired?" The more she thought about it the more it didn't make sense a being like her would appear so tired and worn out. Maybe she hadn't fed herself in a while, The princess thought to herself.

Well, she thought, Luna finally managed to locate her, Celestia thought to herself as the two walked towards the throne. Celestia thought for a moment that Chrysalis looked like some pony she used to know, way before the first Changeling Invasion, but she brushed the thought away.

"Luna," Celestia said flatly,"I see you have finally tracked her down,", Chrysalis could hear a hint of contempt in Celestia's voice. If only Celestia knew who exactly she was being graced with. Luna looked at Chrysalis before turning to her sister. That feeling came back to Celestia's mind after her sister had a look of utter hurt on her face.

Luna's azure colored eyes had the most pleading look in them. It was that same look she had when she first came back after the Elements cleansed her of the Dark magic that had taken over her mind. They were so intense right now. It wasn't until she started to speak that Celestia started to realize why Queen Chrysalis felt so... familiar to her. She decided to hear them out. The Sun princess placed a hoof on her own chest for a moment and pictured what Chrysalis might have looked like is was in fact another alicorn, and the figure that she imposed on her was a striking resemblance to her own mother. Celestia pushed that thought to the back of her mind for now and let her sister finish speaking. It wouldn't be until much later that her assumption would be proven correct.

"Do you have any idea who this is Tia?", Luna looked at her sister pleadingly. Celestia could hear the sincerity in her little sister's voice, and it struck her as odd that Luna would defend a being like Chrysalis. a being that started to feel more and more familiar as time passed. She dismissed the Guards that had gathered and decided to hear out the Changeling Queen's pleas as asked by Luna.

"I assure you that Luna is not under any of my mind control spells,", Chrysalis asserted," I'm tired of fighting this," Celestia could tell that Chrysalis looked nearly spent," and it's been so long since I've felt any kind of peace in my life." Despite everything that happened as of late, Celestia started to realize that Chrysalis magic, felt strangely familiar to her. And not just from their battle during the Canterlot invasion, but earlier than that. She waited to hear what would come out of the Queen's lips next.

At that moment Chrysalis was allowed to approached Celestia. The Sun goddess met her half way before hearing a commotion at the door to the throne room. In came Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Starlight. Before she could speak, Chrysalis found herself being thrown to the ground by Starlight's magic. Celestia kneeled to hear whatever she was trying to utter to the Princess of the sun.

As Chrysalis tried to speak to her while being pinned on the ground by Starlight's magic Celestia wanted to knock the mare into the next part of the castle. If her assumption was correct then Starlight had just assaulted a member of the Crown. That was enough to have her locked in the dungeons if not executed for her actions. As Chrysalis writhed in pain while on the ground she was able to use a hoof to motion for Celestia to come closer.

What she heard only cemented the feeling she was having. Starswirl had told Celestia and Luna that their mother had died in childbirth and that their father had disappeared right after the curse that had been laid on the Crystal Empire. Her heart started to beat faster when she finally realized just who it was that Starlight was pinning to the ground. A pony that she never thought she would ever have in her life again.

"Starswirl lied about my death my Little Tia,", at the mention of that name Celestia jumped to her hooves in a show of shock. The only ones that ever said that name was her sister Luna and before that, her... mother.

"Release her Starlight Glimmer." Celestia bellowed in the Canterlot voice. her voice echoed through out the Throne room. Starlight shrank back in fear. This was the first time in her life she could feel the anger and rage in the Princess' voice. Regardless of what Starswirl had ordered them to do, there was no way in Tartarus that Starlight was going to defy a being of Celestia's power. She released the Queen from the hold that her magic had on her.

"Guards!," Celestia hollered,"take Starlight into custody." Twilight and Rainbow both shrank back at the force of the tone the Princess used. Celestia lowered her tone when she saw how Twilight recoiled at hearing her mentor use that kind of tone towards her.

Celestia was also holding back something else. She wanted to rush over to Twilight and reassure her that she wasn't angry with her. That the princess in fact loved her. She had always been told that she would be unable to spend time with others once she had gone through the coronation for becoming the ruler of Equestria. The one pony that she had tried to have a normal relationship with was killed during the first war with the Crystal Empire.

'Twilight', she thought to herself,' you don't know how much it pained me to do that', she thought to herself as the guards entered the room. After this was over with she'd tell Twilight exactly how she really felt towards her former student.

"Guards, take Starlight into custody,", she decided to hold Starlight overnight in the dungeons until this could be handled properly. She knew Starlight most likely didn't mean to hurt Chrysalis, but she still had to maintain a firm stance.

"What!?!", Starlight reeled back as she found herself being restrained by three unicorn Royal Guard members. It was more of internalization than it was an outward showing of emotion. What was going on she thought as the Guards grabbed her by the shoulders. The look on Luna's face told her what she needed to know. She had just committed treason by attacking a member of the royal family. She also came to the stark realization that her own father had also committed this crime as well as Sedition by covering it up.

"What you did just now is considered an attack on a member of the Royal Family, Ms. Glimmer,", Luna announced to Twilight's protege. There was a hard honesty in Luna's voice. Starlight started to realize that what her own father had done was so vile that it was deemed as an act against the crown. And that by trying to kill Queen Chrysalis she was only covering up for his mistakes.

"Fine," she sighed as the guards put their hooves on her shoulders. She wasn't going to fight them. It was clear that her own father had crossed the line by even asking her to do this. She'd have the night to think about it as she waited to find out what would happen the following day.

She let her shoulders go lax as they dragged her away, not bothering to resist them at all. Twilight could only stare at Celestia. Her glare was really unnerving when Celestia thought about it. Celestia looked at the ground before pulling Twilight aside. The mare begrudgingly followed her mentor over towards the next room. Celestia tried to put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder but she pushed it away. That action broke a piece of her heart. She something that was a bit unexpected. She wrapped her forehooves around Twilight Sparkle and pulled the mare into her chest.

"You need to understand Twilight that your student attacked a member of the Crown. Im just going to hold Starlight overnight in the dungeon before i release her in the morning." Twilight seemed to relax a bit after she said that. What she still didnt get was why Celestia had her wrapped in what looked like a lovers embrace.

"I also need you to understand that i have something important i needed to tell you, something that ive wanted to say for the longest time but couldnt." Celestia watched as Twilight's ears perked up as she said this. Something had caught her attention now.

"Its been so long since ive been in any form of relationship Twilight, I used to be married you see but something terrible happened to the pony i was in love with. Not to mention the daughter that we had was soon banished for trying to asurp the throne. I had never told anypony else this, but we had used a pregnancy spell seeing as the two of us were Mares. That last part caught twilight's focus more then anything. She had put two and two together without realizing it. Sunset Shimmer was Princess Celestia's daughter. And by right of birth was the heir to Equestria's throne.