• Published 8th Aug 2016
  • 1,235 Views, 20 Comments

A Glimmer of Truth: Book One - NightmareTRXY32



Starlight Glimmer wasn't one to reveal many secrets even to her new friends, but there was one secret that even she had no knowledge of, a secret that Twilight would discover by accicdent when reading one of Starswirls journals.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,235

Revelations

Author's Note:

another Chapter updated and Finished.

How could Starlight prepare herself for what was to come. How could she know that her mentor and best friend Twilight would be corrupted by the temptation of forbidden knowledge. Twilight didn't seem like the type of pony that would risk her friends for something like that. The question would become did she really know her as well as she thought she did. If only she'd have seen what Twilight was like before becoming an alicorn she realize how wrong she was.

The three friends had finally gotten to where they needed to go. Now was the time for Starlight to finally learn the truth. A truth that would break her mind and shatter her perceptions of everything in her life. For better or worse was solely up to the lavender unicorn. As they stepped into the abandoned castle, the atmosphere felt oddly familiar to her, as she had been here before, like it almost felt as it she was returning to the place of her birth.

She couldn't shake the feeling, but she trudged on. Starlight was determined to get this over with so they could all return home to their friends. As she looked around she noticed something glint off of the sunlight that was pouring in through a hole in the roof. As she approached it there was a flash of light, and she found herself in another room altogether. Her friends were nowhere to be seen, but in front of her was something she next expected. Starswirl the Bearded. Or to be exact, a magic construct of him. Like a pre-recorded message to be precise.

"Ah, you finally arrived Starlight,", the duplicate spoke.

"You.. your'e supposed to be dead,", was the first thing out of her mouth.

"What you see before you is a hologram dear," he spoke," and one that was made the real Starswirl passed from this world." A hologram was something that Twilight had told about from the human world. Something that seemed to far advanced for their civilization to even attempt right now. None the less Starswirl had apparently crafted one out of Equestrian Magic eons ago.

Before she could speak, he looked her straight in the eyes, and said something that she'd never forget.

"I also know why you've come here, Starlight,", it was very short and to the point. He could only wait and observe her body language to gauge what her response would be.

"Is it true what Princess Celestia told us?," she asked,pausing for a moment,"That there's something in Starswirl's LIbrary here that will answer a burning question that was brought up about my past?", She patiently waited for some answer, any kind of answer that would help her out.

"Yes, it's true Starry," he watched her take a step back at that name. Starry. That was a nickname that her father used to call her when she was a little foal. Her eyes started to water as her mind was flooded with memories. Memories of happier times, before she began down that dark path in the years leading up to the confrontation with Twilight and her friends.

"How,, how do know that name?", she said, fighting back the tears that wanted to escape for her eyes.

"How else?," he said very assuredly," because you Starlight Glimmer, are my daughter."

And then the flood gates broke. Starlight broke down and began crying like no other time in her life. Not even Trixie had ever seen her this emotionally compromised. When she looked back up at him. The tears were replaced with something else. A rage that hadn't been there in a long time.

"Do you have any idea of the things i've been through?!", she spat at him. On one hoof it was like she had the chance to tell her father everything that had happened to her after his apparent death. ON the other hoof she felt all the pain that she had buried that day boil itself back to the surface. She still loved her father but she was also so angry at him. That was when she let it all out. Her words burst forth like a storm of emotion and rage as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

" I formed a town where Cutie Marks were banned, i lost it all to Twilight and her friends and then I tried to get revenge on her by stealing a Time Travel Scroll that you made, and in the process nearly corrupted the timeline and almost destroyed myself over it. Only to be forgiven in the end by Twilight and her friends. Ive tried to the best I can to make amends for it."By the look on her face, he could tell that she had been through so much that he should have been there to support her.

Starswirl could only stare at the ground. He had no words for her that would have comforted her anguish. All he could utter under his breath were the words,"I'm.. I'm sorry Starlight." His heart ached to see his daughter like this. All he could do was put a hoof on her shoulder. Even as a hologram he had enough mass to physically interact with objects. He pulled her into a hug and let Starlight cry into his chest. What she said next really drew his attention.

"Then I ended up in a life and death battle against the Queen of the Changelings, and convinced those around her that they didn't have to suffer under her rule anymore and converted them to being good." After she was done saying that she took a seat for a moment. The last part of that outburst of hers had taken the wind out of her lungs.

"Wait," he said," Did you just say Queen of the Changelings?", it was very cryptic if not direct. That was the last creature he wanted her to interact with.

"Yes," Starlight repeated to him. He seemed hung up on that last part. As if it dredged up a painful memory or two.

"Starlight, be honest now, did you kill her during your encounter?", he asked.

"No, she escaped and vowed revenge on me, why?", something about this was sending a chill down her spine. What was it about Chrysalis that would even scare a hologram of Starswirl the Bearded.

"You must find her and kill her, before it's too late. For I fear what she might do if she ever revealed the truth." that was odd Starlight thought. Did Chrysalis know something about Glimmer's past as well?

By the look on her face Starswirl could tell she was pondering something. So he forced her back to reality. No pony else knew of the mistake that he had made while alive. And even as a hologram he was still Starswirl the Bearded. His consciousness at least. In a blinding flash, Twilight and Rainbow Dash were now standing next to Starlight.

"Starlight, are you alright?", were the first words out of Twilight's mouth before she turned to see who was in front of them.

"OMGOMGOMGOMGosh!", Rainbow and Starlight could only stare at her, each of them with a dead pan look on their faces as they listened to Twilight have a Nerd-gasm. Starswirl could only look at them and blink.

"Twilight's a big fan of yours,", Rainbow Dash muttered under her breath," she's read everything you've ever written. She was wearing a less then amused look on her face as found herself dragging Twilight backwards by the tail.

"The three of you must get to the Princesses and warn them to lock away the Changeling Queen. She is not merely a Changeling. But a fallen alicorn." That last part snapped Twilight to attention faster than anything Rainbow and Starlight had ever witnessed before.

"Hearts and Hooves day,", she uttered quietly. Soon they were all staring at her.

"Awhile back, Applebloom and her friends borrowed a book from me.", she stopped and waited to finish," In it a prince had fallen in love with a Princess, that also happened to have been an alicorn, but everything after that was vague. It spoke of a Kingdom Falling, Chaos Reigning, and a chapter that said something about The Fallen One returning to get their revenge on the one that cursed them." Now the three of them were staring at Starswirl.

"It's all true," he spoke," I'm the one that cursed into the form she's in now." Twilight could hardly believe what she hearing coming from the pony she had idolized all her life.

"She was the former Queen of the Crystal Empire,", he went on," but there's another reason she hates me and wants revenge on me and those of my bloodline,", They all waited for him to continue.

"She's also Celestia and Luna's mother,", he finished. Twilight heard that last one and nearly fainted. She also realized that Starswirl had done something so heinous that he had exiled himself rather then face Celestia's wrath over a revelation like this. That also meant that Queen Chrysalis was be all means the Queen regent of both the Empire and Equestria.

And that by battling her both her and Starlight had nearly attempted Regicide. Something that if discovered by Celestia and Luna could land them in the dungeons if not worse. All she could do now was question why he would order them to lock her away. And then it hit her. Celestia and Luna didn't know that Chrysalis was their mother. Starswirl had lied to them that she had died giving birth. Twilight had swallow her own pride and devotion to Celestia and keep this quiet. At least until the right moment presented itself she decided.

And while he said that, half a kingdom away, Chrysalis and Luna decided that now was the time to confront Celestia with the truth. What would Celestia do if she learned that the Bug she battled with during the Canterlot Invasion was really her mother.

"What if she doesn't believe us?" Luna looked at her mother with worry. There was no way of telling how Celestia might handle this kind of news. She might fall under the belief that Chrysalis was trying to mind control them again. the Queen could only look at youngest, and told her not to worry.

"We'll just have to find another way if it comes to it." She could see the worry in Luna's eys start to fade. She did the best she could to reassure her youngest daughter that things would be ok regardless of what happened next. She hadn't felt this relaxed in decades if not longer.

As they left Luna's study Chrysalis didn't even bother to disguise herself. The guards seeing the two of them stood at attention. They were under the belief that Luna was escorting her to the throne room to be dealt with. They were partially right. Celestia was signing documents when she was informed that Luna was escorting a prisoner to the throne room.

"So she finally found her," Celestia mused as she stood up and walked to the Throne. When she poked her head around the corner of her personal chambers and saw Luna approach with Chrysalis behind her she wondered why there no shackles on her hooves but dismissed the thought. Maybe the Queen had willing surrendered. She decided to give her a moment to explain herself.

She was about to find out.