• Published 23rd Jul 2016
  • 1,378 Views, 9 Comments

The Sun Sets, Stars Become Dust - Darkwing Dust



Sunset, the following day after becoming a demon and being bested by Princess Twilight, continues wallowing in her own guilt and despair. Could it take one individual who has some similarities in regards to her predicament help the distraught teen?

  • ...
 9
 1,378

Starset (Semi-Sequel)

He was around here somewhere.

She just knew he was. Most likely hiding himself within the library, preoccupying himself with a computer, as had been the most progressive activity he'd done recently.

Since...

It was late at night, darkness encompassing the still hallways of the vacant school, but light peeking from the library doorways told her all that she needed to know. A week had passed since the incident at Camp Everfree, the event where the ties of friendship has been damaged severely because of the actions and words of one individual; the same one the young teen sought out. Sunset knew him well enough to know he was stalling for time once again, trying to escape the reality of the newfound rift between their friendship and everyone elses, and has since been distancing himself because of it.

It both worried and, admittedly, infuriated Sunset. Because Stardust can be just as notoriously stubborn as Applejack and Rainbow Dash at times. Her target was spotted within the library, her suspicions proven true, for his back facing her, resting on a chair with chin plopped on interlocked fingers, staring at a lit computer screen.

And didn't seem to have heard her come in. Which was good, Sunset thought, as she also confessed she was a little nervous about approaching the other, much older teenager because of the incident. What happened back at the camp was a scene no one would ever forget.

Right off the bat, Stardust had expressed reluctance to go on the school trip multiple times, and annoyance and disbelief the entire trip there. His friends hoped he'd have mellowed down the more he spent time there, but they were proven to the contrary. That irritation seemed to have grown and worsen, especially upon interaction with Gloriosa and Timber. Sunset may never properly understand his deep-rooted distaste for the two bordering on contempt, even if she may have some idea otherwise.

Time there only worsened. The short version: When it was uncovered that Gloriosa was behind the mysterious going-ons within the camp, and Timber was covering for is sister, Stardust was unrelenting. He scolded, berated and basically vocally abused the camp counselors as tardy, incompetent, dangerous, irresponsible and arrogant "children playing adults," and that their camp deserved to be shut down.

Naturally, everyone else disagreed. But the night of the fundraiser nailed the coffin.

As the memories resurfaced, Sunset tentatively walked closer towards the focused boy, who made no acknowledgement to her presence yet, either oblivious or plain ignoring her, and Sunset genuinely hoped for the former.

Stardust had, to be blunt, made the entire fundraising party altogether pointless. The effort into making it, the promises the girls vowed to help the two teens save their camp, amounted to nothing. Somehow, the critical teen persuaded Filthy Rich to have the entire camp shut down in place for a spa, regardless of everyone else's objections and thoughts to the contrary. Sunset flinched, remember the cold look of indifference and smugness on the boy's face as her friends complained to him for doing something so terrible...

Then that look shifted to pure rage when Twilight boldly proclaimed Stardust for being a conceited manchild.

And the boy snapped.

What happened next shook everyone to their core, and poor Twilight was practically reduced to tears by the pure fury and ill-disguised outrage over the girl's "hypocrisy" regarding her crush, Timber. The fire ignited in the boy's cyan eyes even stunned Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna on the spots. Sunset had a felt a chill down her spine when the teen spoke with venom and left them in the dust; it was unlike any anger she had ever witnessed, even from herself.

It was frightening.

The trip back home the day afterwards had been quiet, everyone too scared to approach the fuming Stardust in fear of provoking the wild animal they had witnessed that night. It was known throughout Canterlot High that Stardust had a temper that leaked occasionally - often through "sheer idiocy" at happenings within the school - but wasn't a jerk by nature; just someone with a difficult past and unafraid to stand up to anyone of authority. But that night at Camp Everfree was far different, far unlike the usual anger.

It was fury unleashed.

And because of it, Stardust had began distancing himself from everyone else. But despite this, Sunset knew better than to leave the poor man all on his own. Like her, the fuming teenager had no real home, and originated from a world far from this one. They were alike in so many ways Sunset couldn't begin to write a list of them. Most likely the motivation behind her real affections for the teenager who hadn't noticed her yet.

"Stardust...?" The yellow pony-turned-human inquired gently, carefully reaching out to touch the fabric of the boy's shoulder. She knew he'd never hurt her, not willingly. The two were probably the closest out of all their friends. Though that wasn't the case at first. The boy tensed, which was a start. "Stardust." A soft shake afterwards, and the boy refused to turn.

Sunset sighed, recognizing this behaviour. Typical of the man whenever he was upset, and Sunset knew what to do. Settling down on the seat beside, she reached around Stardust by the front to grasp his other shoulder, and gently pulled him to meet her gaze. The lit screen illuminated the tired features, and Sunset gasped lowly at the full view, the light enough for her to spot the dry tears down Stardust's face.

Crying... Stardust...? The teenage girl had to pause for a moment there, processing this rare phenomenon. Stardust was typically headstrong, and careful of showing other emotions than annoying, pride or amusement. Had the rift between their friendship affected him more without her or the girls even realizing...?

"Stardust...?"

The boy flinched, but otherwise made no response. The bright screen from the computer revealed only yellow exhausted features of pure guilt and regret, with blue-green eyes regarding the space between their laps in silence, mouth thinned and brown hair attempting to cover his eyes. Instinctively, Sunset gently brushed the bangs of growing hair, her heart slowly beginning to hurt to seeing him in such a state, this scene reminding her all too well of something similar, from long ago.

When Sunset was an emotional wreck.

It was the day after the Fall Formal. No one spoke with her, no one checked up, asking how she was doing or demanding for her to apologize for everything she put them through. After Equestria's Twilight defeated her and vowed that her friends would show the distraught Sunset the proper meaning of friendship, the other girls were reluctant at first. Sunset had confined herself to an empty classroom, guilt and remorse freely running down her face as she sobbed, and sobbed, until she could no more. For a time, she believed herself irredeemable.

Imagine when comfort and forgiveness came, first, in the form of Stardust.

Their rivalry had been legendary among the students. Stardust Balance, since his sudden arrival into the school, had been a constant thorn in Sunset's days as a terrible person; the only student to stand up to her and make her feel insignificant. He scoffed, laughed and downright sneered at her threats and offers to lick her boots. Stardust had no patience nor tolerance for bullies, and he made that clear everytime they crossed paths.

So when he abruptly appeared to Sunset, taking a seat across the desk she cried upon, the teen expected at first a scolding and reflection of pity. Yes, there had been a small lecture, but everything else was something Sunset never anticipated, at least from the likes of him. Forgiveness. Kindness. Sympathy. The arguably most hardened boy of Canterlot High had broken down the tough exterior and showed a side she had never seen of him, just like now. He offered his own hand of friendship to her, and was the first person to check up on her and make sure the others were doing as Twilight had reassured.

Stardust became her confidant, her adviser, and most importantly, her friend. In mere days, that bitter rivalry became a strong friendship. And over the few months, as the fond feelings for the boy strengthened, sometimes, imagining for even a moment, Sunset pondered if that could become something even greater.

So it was breaking her heart to see him, reduced to this. Yes, she was just as mad as the others for what Stardust had done, but the boy, like Gloriosa and Timber, did it for noble reasons; declaring the camp counselors unfit and dangerous to people under their supervision. The proudful Stardust Balance, crying alone in the darkness, as she had, was becoming too much to bear.

And as Stardust comforted her that day, Sunset will return the favour.

Stardust accepted the tender embrace without complaint, making no noise admist his silent sobbing, gingerly wrapping his own arms around her waist as she had his neck, sinking into the warm hug in clear search for comfort and forgiveness. And Sunset, bless her, forgave him more earlier than the others will. Oh Stardust will have to earn the forgiveness of his friends, no doubt, but Sunset couldn't find it in herself to be that mad at him for long.

He deserved a chance. She owed that much. The same boy who had faith in the doubtful girl during the times of the Dazzlings incident and the competition against the rival school, who never swayed his opinion or belief in her abilities once.

Stardust trusted her enough to reveal the truth of his own origins. A man from another world, without any home to call his own. Trapped and helpless, and Sunset felt sympathy and a yearning to how the distraught man; a pained boy veiled behind a curtain of anger.

"Stardust. Stardust listen to me," She spoke softly, gently pushing the hesitant older teen back, her own eyes gently yet firm. "You have a lot to make up for, you know that." His mouth opened somewhat, but no words came out. Sunset's feature furrowed in concern and sadness for the man she cared for. "But for what it's worth, I forgive you. Our friends will too, give them time."

A solemn expression responded to her reassuring words. Yes, Sunset was more than confident the others will start speaking to Stardust again, and soon. They missed him just as much as she had, with their not-so-subtle glances towards his vacant typical seat at lunch times, among other things. Despite Stardust being a criticizing, often overbearing pain with his compulsive behaviour to be brutally honest with everyone and everything, it was because he was passionate, and cared deeply for his friends.

Sunset didn't need her newfound powers to know that.

"I... Please don't tell anyone you saw this..."

At that, Sunset had to laugh. The first response from Stardust tonight, and as always he made to unexpectedly make the girl giggle. At seeing his downed demeanor break with a small tired smile from that reaction, Sunset felt her heart flutter, relieved he was clearly beginning to feel better.

But just to make sure. "Glad you're finally speaking, Stardust," She teased lightly. And her hesitation was cast aside by the tiny grin emerging on his yellow face. "Are you feeling any better now?"

"...Yeah." Just 'yeah.' Sunset almost raised a brow. Between them, that question would usually be answered with 'only 'cause I'm talking to you' or something just as flirtatious. "Thank you... Sunset..."

It was then the smiling teen followed Stardust's sudden surprised gaze downwards, realizing their hands holding one another without either noticing. Sunset felt heat emerging on her face from the warm touch, and the girl carefully glanced up, seeing the man's expression shift from uncertainty to sudden withdrawal, slowly starting to lean back.

No. Not this time. A sudden surge of confidence of rising within Sunset at this close proximity, her hands firmly holding onto his. Stardust paused from the tug, and the teen heard his breath hitch at her leaning closer. Long ago, he showed her his own way gesture of forgiveness and assurance.

And now, Sunset will show her own.

The kiss lasted for only a brief moment, but for Sunset it felt like eternity, a mash of positive emotions sparing through her chest at the gentle, soft contact between them. And the pony-turned-human found herself yearning for more - months of affections wanting to break free - as the two pulled back.

And while Sunset was smiling, Stardust was downright grinning like a goof who had gotten his Christmas presents early. And that made Sunset grin lightly in turn, relief and joy surfing through her at the clear evidence he enjoyed it as much she had. "Let's get you home and cleaned up."

"Will there be more of this afterwards?"

And Sunset laughed once again. Just like that, the old, flirty Stardust bounced back in a heartbeat, and she certainly wasn't complaining. The playful tease was the return. "Let's worry about reuniting you with the others, then you can worry about playing your cards right with me."

Though it was fair to say he was playing them fairly decently, recent actions at the camp aside.

Comments ( 2 )

Dare I read this?

Just finished reading this.

Very good. I enjoyed it.

For some reason I'm left with an image of Stardust on a bulldozer, drunk and quaking like Scroouge Mc Duck.

Between this and AJBS you know I think you should do your own season one of EGs starting from Camp Everfree.

Also the whole relationship between you and Sunset was fun to read.

Just like the movies your story shows great leads for more stories.

However unlike the movies your story is actually good :)

Login or register to comment