• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 26,396 Views, 2,907 Comments

Gilded Sister - Kind of Brony



A young girl who never got a chance to live is gifted that chance in the form of a new body, life, and brother. How will this old soul take to her strange world?

  • ...
45
 2,907
 26,396

Improve

Knowing why I’m here hardly helps lessen my anxiety as we wait for the doctor to return with the results. The visit, I admit, has not been as nerve-wracking as the previous, due in large part of now understanding the doctors, but not even the friendly word of assurance can make these white walls any less intimidating.

I look over to my brother as he sleeps in our father’s lap, a little tin soldier Grandpa got him set loosely in his hooves. The sight brings a smile to my face, despite the situation. He was absolutely adamant about coming with us this time, even after he was told how boring it would be, but he wouldn’t listen. “My little sister needs me,” he kept saying, and while I’m not a fan of being considered the little sister, even if I was technically born later than him, the sentiment is heartwarming nonetheless.

“How are you doing, sweetie?” Mom asks.

“Okay,” I mumble. “Just tired. When can we go home?”

“Well, the doctor said it wouldn’t take long to go over the results, so I’m sure it won’t be much longer.”

I hum and return to waiting. Ten minutes later, I’m on the verge of pulling my mane out when the doctor finally shows up. Dad looks like he wants to stand, but can’t due to the foal in his lap. His shifting however is enough to wake the colt and he yawns, smacking his lips and rubbing his eyes.

The doctor looks up from his clipboard and gives a smile. “Sorry for keeping you waiting, but I do have what I believe is some good news.”

All but Blueblood perked up at that. “Really, what is it?” Dad asks. “Has her magic grown much?”

The lab coat-clad stallion’s smile lessens a bit. “Not to anywhere near what would be considered an average level, but yes, it has grown quite substantially. Roughly three times in fact.”

“That’s… good… isn’t it?” Mom says, and I can’t help but wonder if it is. The mere idea that I could even have magic is still mind boggling. Magic is a myth; the tool of gods and legends, not for little fillies with no idea how to even use it.

“Well, I can’t say for sure how much it will help, but she should experience less discomfort from magic use now. Her advanced vocabulary should help us in that regard.”

“What do you mean?” Dad questions.

At this, the doctor appears to become nervous. “Well, to know how much or how little magic hurts her will require a… test.”

“Are… are you suggesting we use magic and simply ask her how much it hurts?” Mom says, aghast.

Both Bluebloods now look angry and on the verge of shouting, but I interrupted. “Okay.”

“Um, excuse me?” the doctor says, the first one to manage a word.

“Okay, let’s do it,” I clarify. “Somepony use magic.”

“Pure, you can’t actually expect one of us to hurt you,” Mom tries, but I won’t hear any of it. I’m not some sort of glass doll that will shatter at the slightest pressure. In my old life, I had been poked and prodded all over and asked if it hurt, and yeah, it sucked, but it helped the doctors with their diagnosis, so I suffered through it. This is the same thing.

“It’s okay, Mommy, magic never really hurt that bad, so if it hurts even less now, then I can handle it,” I reason, secretly hoping both I and the doctor are right. I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to trust him if he ends up putting me through this for nothing.

“…I’ll do it,” Dad says, setting his son aside and standing. “Just tell me what to do and I’ll do it.”

“Oh, um, perfect!” The doctor looks around a moment. “Okay, so, we don’t necessarily have a test designed for this sort of thing, so we’ll have to improvise.”

Mom looks to her husband and mouths the doctor’s last word, obviously perturbed. Dad can only shrug before the doctor claps a hoof on the linoleum, “I’ve got it! Just follow me, and we can begin.”

In only a few short minutes, I find myself back in the room with the machine that apparently read my magic. “This device can not only detect magic in reserve within a pony, but also magic output. All we have to do is stick a few of these sensors on your horn as you channel magic and it should tell us how much you’re using.”

“Seems simple enough,” mumbles dad as he shuffles uncomfortably from either what he was about to do our because the doctor was touching his horn. I’m guessing the latter, as the stallion is a bit too enthusiastic about the upcoming test.

“You know, this is the first time I’ve created my own procedure for something. Kind of makes me feel like a scientist more than a doctor.” He huffs a quick laugh. “Who knows, maybe if this works well, it can become an official test for those afflicted with mageiasthenia.”

Stepping back, the doctor flips on the machine and paper slowly starts to slide out. Leaning in he squints and starts adjusting some dials. “Mmm, there, sensitivity has been lowered to filter out background radiation. It’s showing a good baseline now. The next step is simple, I’m going to have you levitate my clipboard, Mr. Blueblood.” He looks to me now. And Pure, this is very important, sweetie, I want you to speak up as soon as you start to feel any pain at all. Do you understand?”

With a gulp, I nod, and he does the same. “Good. Mrs. Garden, you may place your daughter on the bed here.” Giving me a quick peck on the head, Mom does just that, and the paper cover crinkles beneath me.

Now that it’s actually happening, my resolve begins to falter. It’s ridiculous, I’ve been through much worse, but no matter how much I tell myself to stop being a baby, another part argues that I am, that at some point, pretending stopped being pretend. As the adults prepare to start, a shrill voice yells, “Wait!”

Little Blueblood, who Dad had passed off to Mom a moment ago, looked at me with a stony expression. “I want to sit with Pure,” he said. There was no room for argument in his voice, and so he is placed down next to me.

I’m less nervous when they go to start again. “Mr. Blueblood, if you would?” the doctor prompts, offering the clipboard. With a hesitant look in my direction, Dad complies and his horn takes on a silver glow, which is immediately shared with the clipboard.

All eyes are on me as the doctor removes his hoof, leaving the clipboard to float in the air. “So,” he says, “do you feel anything, Pureblood?”

I take a moment to be sure. “Nothing,” I answer, a small smile pulling at my lips. Was I really getting better?

“That’s good, right?” Dad asked excitedly, smiling similar to Mom. “Magic doesn’t hurt her anymore.”

“Relatively small amounts of it don’t,” corrected the stallion, glancing at the sheet of paper slowly spilling out of the machine, now brushing the floor. He places a hoof on top of the floating clipboard and explains. “I’m now going to start pushing down on the clipboard, what I want you to do is to keep it level as best as you are able, Mr. Blueblood.”

Sobering some, Dad nods, and I notice his eye twitch as the doctor begins. It’s nothing at first, neither face changes as the stallions work against each other, but soon, I can see the doctor's hoof tremble and the glow of father’s horn intensify. Strangely, I do begin to feel something, or more accurately, I notice something I felt as Dad began using magic now that the sensation is intensifying. There’s a pressure against the tip of my horn that is crawling down into my forehead.

A few seconds later, I feel the first inkling of a headache. “Stop!” I call, putting a hoof to my head, and am glad to see that they do. There is a shared wince as the clipboard hits the floor. Dad is in front of me in an instant, sensors removed and apologizing while the doctor is quick to flip the switch on the machine.

“its okay, Daddy,” I say, trying to ease his guilt. “It barely started to hurt when I said something, just like the doctor asked.”

“Yes, that was very good of you, Pureblood.” The doctor looks up from his paper. “Because of this, we now have a rough estimate of what you can handle. Your father’s output topped out at fifty-eight thaums before you began to feel it, which, if I am remembering my magic and mathematics class, is equivalent to levitating around two stone.”

“Really?” Mom perks up, apparently understanding more of the doctor’s gobbledygook than I do. “That’s actually quite heavy; more so than a pony would have need to levitate normally, anyway. Does this mean it’s safe to use magic then, as long as we don’t go over fifty-eight thaums?”

“Well, Mrs. Garden, you must understand that this wasn’t exactly an official test, and so it did not take into account all possible variables. Distance, for instance, would probably alter results, and I wouldn’t suggest using magic directly on her. However, I do think that this is definitely a positive sign for the future.

“Actually, I’ve been meaning to talk to the two of you about something since you first brought your daughter in and her condition came to light,” he continued. “I would like to take your daughter’s case to some acquaintances I have at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. Since mageiasthenia is just as much a condition of magic as it is the body, I believe their input would be quite valuable. With so little known, things we learn from Pureblood could be invaluable for future sufferers.”

Mom and Dad share a look. “Well Doctor, while your intentions sound genuine,” Mom began, “We’d rather our daughter’s life be as normal as possible, and becoming a… subject of study sounds counterintuitive to that.”

The stallion blinked a few times before waving his hooves. “Oh, no, no, no! You completely misunderstand. As her doctor, I want only what’s best for Pureblood, and I believe the researchers at the school might be able help all of us know what that is. They could give us better guidelines on what sort of magic and at what intensity should be allowed to be cast around Pure for instance.

“I haven’t even mentioned your daughter to any of them yet, merely broached the subject during conversation. I’m sworn to doctor-patient confidentiality, after all. This is all just speculation for now, but I do think it will be better for Pureblood in the long run to get a better opinion than jury-rigging tests such as these.”

"We’ll think about it,” Dad says, obviously just as much on the fence as Mom or myself. I don’t like to doubt the sincerity of others, but I’d rather not become a guinea pig if I can help it, plus doctors already make me nervous as it is, so throwing more lab coats into the mix wouldn’t be ideal.

“Perhaps when you get more of a plan structured, you can send us a letter outlining it,” Mom adds. “But until then, we’ll have to wait to give you an answer.”

The doctor nods. “Of course, I wasn’t expecting a definitive answer right now, anyway, not after just springing the question on you. I will send you that letter though when I’ve gotten things more cemented. I hope you consider it.”

At this point, I’m just tired and tune out the rest of the adults’ conversation. I don’t realize my eyelids are drooping until I feel a brush against my shoulder. Looking over, little Blueblood is staring at me with what appears to be hope. “Um, so I can use magic around you now?”

I blink, processing the sudden question. Going over what had been discussed between the grownups, I’m guessing the only thing he couldn’t do was that crazy stuff from before. I don’t know what thaums are, but I’m guessing it takes a lot to teleport or phase through solid object. “I think… a little?” I offer, unsure.

Smile broadening, the colt whoops and throws his hooves in the air. Also going into the air is his tin soldier surrounded by a dark blue glow. Seeing that familiar hue, I realize I’ve not seen it in what feels like ages, and it registers how hard it must have been for him to always have to restrain himself in my presence.

To know he has gained back a little of the freedom I unwittingly stole from him makes me grin as well and I throw my hooves up alongside his, cheering as his toy dances through the air. Even if the pinprick of pressure at the tip of my horn was worse, I still wouldn't say anything that could end my brother's moment of happiness.

Author's Note:

So what do you think magic kindergarten is? Is it perhaps mandatory for unicorns or is an optional thing?
Also, I don't plan on making the doctor a main character, but I might still have to give him a name. Especially if he's in another chapter. If I do, I'll probably insert whatever name I choose for him back into this chapter.