• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 26,371 Views, 2,907 Comments

Gilded Sister - Kind of Brony



A young girl who never got a chance to live is gifted that chance in the form of a new body, life, and brother. How will this old soul take to her strange world?

  • ...
45
 2,907
 26,371

Rouse

I breathe deeply, then let it out in a steady flow, trying to keep calm. That's all I've been doing for the last hour since waking up in a hospital with a doctor hovering over me, horn aglow.

I suppose I should feel lucky that whatever the unicorn had been doing, he had finished just before I punched him in the nose with a shriek. He was pretty lucky, too, for the fact that my legs feel like noodles. It would have been really awkward to bloody some pony's nose like that.

He was shocked, but unharmed, and quickly left the room, saying something about informing the other doctors. It wasn't long after that Doctor Mend came in and gave me smile. "Hey there, Pureblood, it's good to see you awake," he had said, and I returned the smile as best I could. As frayed as my nerves had become in that short time, seeing a familiar face, even if it was a doctor's, did help calm me a bit.

"What happened?" I had rasped, only to immediately start coughing, my throat feeling like sandpaper. Doctor Mend was quick to fetch me some water in a small glass from the adjoined bathroom and bring it to my lips, which I sipped gratefully. Once my throat was no longer drier than a desert, he had explained the gist of what happened.

Apparently, there was an accident. A filly had surged wildly during the exams, and the resulting wave of magic did a number on my own. I was shocked to hear I'd been unconscious for the last three weeks, and disheartened to learn that my magic would be impaired worse than ever for awhile.

He didn't explain much more, probably assuming it would go over my head, and instead left with a promise to get ahold of my family. That left me alone with my thoughts, and the task of keeping them from becoming panicked. Easier said than done, though, when I can't help but be reminded of a time long ago. My body feels weak, my head hurts, and I'm stuck in a hospital bed.

I really wish Doctor Mend would have at least told me how long I'd be here. Have they just been waiting for me to wake up before sending me home? Would I be doing so now that I'm conscious? How messed up is my magic, and what's the treatment? What was that doctor doing when I first woke up?

Probably the biggest question of all, however, is if I'll get better. The thought of being stuck in this hospital, or even just being bedridden at home, is enough to put me on the verge of tears. I can't go back to that, and I certainly don't want to put my family through such hardship, but I'm afraid I won't have a chose.

I'm jolted out of my thoughts when the door flies open and I'm rushed by three very familiar ponies. "Oh, my precious Pure, you're awake!" Mom wails, practically draping herself across the bed to hug me. "Thank the stars! I was so worried."

"Pureblood..." Dad breathes, containing himself better than his wife, but with powerful emotions in his eyes as he gives a smile, stepping to the side of my bed to run a hoof over my mane. "I... I'm glad you're back with us."

I close my eyes and just absorb the warmth that contact with my parents brings, then open my eyes to see my brother climbing over the edge of the bed. Before I can say anything, he charges me, wrapping his hooves around my neck and crying.

"Bluey," I whisper, tears of my own falling as I return the embrace with as much strength as I can muster. I can only manage with one hoof though when I remember there's an IV in the other. I've been trying to ignore the thing, but when it tugs in my skin, I can't help but shiver.

Blueblood notices and pulls away. "A-are you okay, Pure?" he asks, looking me over. His eyes follow mind when I look down at my foreleg, and he frowns. "I kept telling everypony you don't like needles, but they wouldn't listen. Can we take it out now?" This last part is directed at our parents.

Mom stands up straight, snorting to clear her sinuses and rubbing at her wet cheeks while Dad looks down at the needle in my foreleg with a sigh. "We'll ask the doctor as soon as he gets in," he says, looking at the door. "He should be here soon. We have much to discuss."

"We... might have left him behind in the lobby in our hurry to get to your room," Mom explains with a watery smile, looking on the verge of tears again. "We just couldn't wait to see you."

True enough, Doctor Mend steps through the door, looking over our little family for a second, then smiling. "Hello everypony-"

"Take the needle out of Pure's leg," Bluey interrupts, sending a glare at the doctor and ignoring the reprimands from our mother. "Now."

The doctor, blinks, then chuckles. "Well, I suppose now that she's awake and capable of eating and drinking on her own..." he says, trailing off as he approaches the bedside. Dad moves to make room, and I hesitantly offer up the foreleg with the IV. With a practiced hoof and ignoring Bluey's scrutinizing gaze, Doctor Mend slowly pulls the needle from my leg.

I bite my lip and suppress the shiver at the odd sensation, and then it's over, the doctor gently holding a cotton swab to the small hole for a minute until it stops dribbling blood. "And there," he says, stepping back. "All done. You're a very tough little filly."

"Of course she is," my brother comments with a snort. "She's tougher than most colts. Even Pauly."

I blush a little at the statement, and Mom and Dad both smile indulgently. "That she is," Dad says, patting his son on the shoulders before turning to the doctor, expression becoming more serious. "And one who I'm sure is eager to go home."

Doctor Mend doesn't speak right away, going to the chart at the foot of the bed. "And she will be... soon," he begins, picking it up and looking it over. "One of her last treatments was administered an hour ago, and her mana system has recovered greatly over the last three weeks. Honestly, after one more treatment in a couple more hours, and one more night for observations, she should be ready to return home as long as everything looks good."

Instantly, I feel loads better. "Just one more day?" I ask hopefully. "Will my magic be better soon, too?" I may not be able to do much with it, but what little I can do makes Mom and Dad so proud. I'd hate to disappoint them by not being able to practice anymore. I see Doctor Mend's gaze turn to me, then flit away, and my shoulders tense. "I know you said I'd have to wait, but... for how long? A couple days? A week...? Two?"

Doctor Mend shuffles some, then shoots a glance at my parents, almost as if asking for help, and Mom answers. "Sweetie... the accident hurt you very badly," she begins, voice quivering some before she swallows and steadies it. "And you're getting better, but... it's going to take time."

"How much time?" I ask again, and Doctor Mend finally answers.

"We aren't entirely sure. You've come a long way, and have recovered more than we expected, so tracking your progress so far and extrapolating gives us what I believe will be a fairly accurate estimate," he says with a small amount of pride. It leaves quickly as he finishes, however. "Most likely another four months..."

As I gasp and Dad places a comforting hoof on my withers, the doctor quickly continues. "Of course, that's just how long it will take to recover fully. You'll progressively improve, of course. By two months, ponies will no doubt be able to use low level magic around you again."

My head drops and Dad rubs small circles into my back. "Hey, come on now," he says reassuringly. "Four months isn't long at all. It'll pass before you know it."

"Yeah," my brother agrees. "And I'll help you practice magic when you're all better so you can catch up! I'll be learning all sorts of things at Aunty Celestia's school, so I'll be able to teach you lots of new stuff."

They're clearly making an effort to cheer me up, so I do my best not to disappoint them further by pasting on a small smile. "I do like learning new stuff," I say. "I guess I'll just have to do other things until my magic gets better."

"That's the spirit," Dad says, leaning down to nuzzle me. "Maybe we can look into a new hobby? Perhaps an instrument of some sort."

"Doctor," a nurse starts, peeking her head through the entrance of the room, eyes landing on Mend. "There are ponies in the lobby asking about your patient. They're saying they're the grandparents."

"Dad must have told your parents," Dad says to Mom. "I suppose we should go down and greet them."

"I'm staying with Pure," Bluey says, leaning against my side, getting our parents to smile at us.

"That's fine," Mom says. "We'll be right back up with the others. Everypony has been very eager to see Pureblood awake and well."

I flinch at that, but luckily no pony notices. Ponies have been waiting to see me awake and well, but they'd only be getting the former. As much as I'd prefer just letting the facade drop and to hide under the covers, I still have an audience, and turn my attention to my brother after the adults leave.

"So..." I start. "A whole three weeks, huh? Did I miss anything?"

Bluey shrugs. "Not really. Um, School doesn't start for a while still."

"That's right," I say with a sigh. "Guess I missed out on the break..."

Suddenly, Blueblood's expression becomes hard. "It's all that stupid Sparkle's fault, too," he practically growls.

My ears perk up. "Sparkle? You mean Twilight? What did she do?"

"She's the one who hurt you," Bluey practically spat. "She let her magic go crazy to hatch the egg. She hurt you, and destroyed the room the test was in, and no pony has even done anything! She's gonna be Aunty's personal student instead, and she even gets to keep the baby dragon. She did all this bad stuff, and she isn't even grounded!"

I blink, taking this in. It was Twilight Sparkle who did this to me? It's both surprising and not as I think about it. I sort of wondered if maybe she had a lot of magic and had trouble using it, but still, not that much. Certainly not as much as what landed me in the hospital even when I was in a different room. On top of that, Twilight is my friend, and it's hard to relate my current gloomy situation with a pony I've always tried to help.

"Wow..." I manage, trying to think of something to say. "So, Twilight's gonna be Aunt Celestia's student...? Good for her, I guess."

"No," snaps Blueblood. "Not good! She should be kicked out of school- out of the city before she can hurt yo- anypony else!"

"Bluey," I try. "I'm sure she didn't mean it... It was an accident, right? A surge?"

"She should have better control of her magic," he says with certainty. "That's what Mr. Scatter was trying to teach us all the time in magic kindergarten, but she was always too busy reading her stupid books instead of practicing like she was supposed to. She wouldn't have surged if she wasn't so iru- irespan- lazy!"

I open my mouth, but shut it when no other arguments come to mind. I don't blame Twilight, not really, but what else can I say in her defense? I don't think she's irresponsible or lazy, but there's no real way to convince Blueblood of that.

Once again, I'm causing rifts between people because I can't just be normal and healthy like I should. How long before Mom and Dad begin to argue because of me?

"Hey, don't worry," Bluey says, picking up on my sudden melancholy. "I won't let that stupid Twilight hurt you again." His eyes become hard and determined. "I promise."

"That's not-" I start, but shake my head. It wouldn't do to burden the colt with my worries. Instead, I say, "But Twilight's my friend."

"Friends don't put friends in hospitals," he declares. "She tried coming to see you when you were still sleeping, but she wasn't allowed. She might have hurt you more."

"Twilight came to visit?" I ask, a little surprised the shy filly would ever actively seek me out. Until now, our little group always had to drag her to join us in anything.

Blueblood nods. "Yeah, a bunch of your friends came too, but the doctors were afraid of letting them into your room 'cause they might have accidentally used magic." The colt rolls his eyes at this. "I don't know why they were worried though, those fillies aren't like Twilight; they're smart and know not to hurt others. Especially, Moondancer."

Despite the fact that I was unconscious, the idea that my friends weren't allowed to visit is kind of irksome. "Really? None of my friends were allowed to see me?"

"Mmm, no, Moondancer was let in the room, but that was because she came to the house with her mom to ask our mom to take her to see you... She cried a lot when she did though."

Another stab of guilt strikes my heart at the thought of Moondancer crying because of me. The door opens before I can dwell on the it though, and I'm soon surrounded by adults.

My grandparents are as boisterous as ever, loudly proclaiming how glad they are to see me awake and telling me all the things we'll do when I'm out of the hospital. It's wonderful, and all the love in the room does well to banish my self-loathing for the moment, but I soon start to feel tired, exhausted both physically and emotionally. Mom is first to notice, and she herds everypony out, claiming I need rest.

As much as I'd like for them to stay, I don't have the energy to argue, and soon, it's only Mom, Dad, and my brother, who clings to me, refusing to leave. When I pipe up that I don't mind him staying, our parents begrudgingly agree. They settle on going out for a quick lunch with their parents, and bringing the two of us something to eat.

Finally, the room is quiet once more, and Blueblood snuggles under the covers next to me, wrapping his hooves around my side. I smile at him, and he smiles back, then closes his eyes. I do the same shortly after, inviting sleep to take me.


"Still awake, Pure?" Blueblood asks quietly after another fifteen minutes of silence.

I sigh and open my eyes. "Yep," I answer, glad for the respite from staring at the back of my eyelids. It's getting late now, Mom and Dad having returned long ago with a warm brownie for each of us foals. That had been the highlight before the horrible procedure of getting magic probed around in my brain.

I had failed to get any sleep by that point, not even a few minutes before a doctor came to inform us that he would be performing the final procedure on my damaged leylines. I was nervous of course, especially when everypony was asked to wait outside so that I was alone, but figured these doctors had done it plenty of times while I slept, so it must not have been anything to worry about.

I was wrong on that front, flinching when the doctor lit his horn, and barely holding back a scream when magic speared into my skull. The entry point was my horn, apparently, and it felt like he was trying to drill down the core of it. After another attempt, and me failing to restrain my scream a second time, my family came rushing in, and Doctor Mend was called.

Remembering the pain sends shivers down my spine, and I'm amazed that I had been through the procedure multiple times already. How could such a thing not wake me up? Even after a special pain numbing gel was smeared over my horn and forehead, the entry of the magic felt just plain wrong. When it actually made it inside, it was almost like fire.

Not as if I had a burning ember in my brain, but more like sitting too close to a blazing fire and feeling the heat singe at my skin. Except, this wasn't skin deep, and I had to fight with every fiber of my being not to squirm under the assault. I had lied when the doctor asked if it was bothering me too much. This needed to be done and I had no intention of staying in the hospital any longer than necessary. Still, when it was over, I let out a breath I had been holding and panted heavily.

After that, with an itch now on the inside of my skull, I was told to rest. My family came in one last time to say goodbye, but as soon as Blueblood saw my exhausted state, he refused to leave. Arguments proved futile against the stubborn colt, and eventually a concession had to be made. Mom and Dad would come back later for him so that Bluey could stay with me until visiting hours were over.

I honestly don't know how long it's been, but I do know I haven't slept a wink yet. "Maybe we can ask somepony to bring you a glass of warm milk," Bluey suggests.

I sigh and turn over to face him. "Maybe," I mumble, eyelids heavy. "I don't know though... It's not that I'm not tired, because I am super tired, it's because my head feels weird."

"Oh," the colt says. "Um, maybe they have medicine for that?"

"I'll fall asleep eventually," I say, closing my eyes and trying to ignore the sensation behind them. "I just have to keep trying."

"It'll be easier once we're back home," Blueblood promises, touching a forehoof to one of mine. "These beds are hard, and the blankets are scratchy. They should have just let you leave tonight."

"I wish," I agree. "It's just one more day, though."

It's quiet for a minute before I feel a pair of small hooves pulling at my body lightly in askance. Despite my exhaustion, I smile a little and scoot closer to colt, enjoying the warmth of his hooves around me. Our horns are practically touching, and I can feel his breath on my face, a strangely comforting sensation.

Even so, I still spend the next few minutes accomplishing nothing more than feigning sleep, and Bluey knows it. "Want to talk?"

"About what?" I ask, voice barely above a whisper.

"I dunno. Anything," he answers in an equally hushed tone. "What was it like sleeping for so long?"

I frown, thinking about it. "Not good." I say. That's the first thing that comes to mind, but I try to elaborate. "I feel weak and my body's all noodly and stiff at the same time."

"Did you dream?" he asks, and my brow furrows.

I... don't know," I begin. I was going to say that I didn't think so, but that wasn't right. "Maybe? If I did, I can't remember."

"Really? Nothing? Are you sure?" he prods, and for some reason, it makes my head hurt a little.

"No, I'm not... but I don't think I want to remember."

"Why not? A three week long dream must have been really cool."

"Maybe it was a nightmare," I say grumpily, and for some reason, that sounds right.

"Oh... Um, forget I said anything," he says, but the thought is already wriggling in my mind. Though some part of me is warning against it, I squeeze my eyes shut in concentration and attempt to dredge up a memory.

After a few seconds, an an echo whispers up from the void in my memory. Liar.

But that doesn't make sense. I haven't lied about anything, or at least nothing important I'm sure. I've always been open with Bluey and parents. I don't lie to my friends, and especially not Moondancer.

... Except for that time I told her a story from a movie and told her I made it up. That was necessary, though. I couldn't exactly have told her it was actually a movie from a different world. She wouldn't have believed me and probably would have thought I was crazy. That doesn't make me a liar... right?

No, certainly not. Even if I'm keeping who I truly am from everypony, it's necessary. That's why even the ponies who love me most don't know, not even my twin. How could I even begin to tell them, anyway? Just say that I'm an alien and I don't even know how I got in this body? Even if they believed me, what would they think after? They certainly wouldn't see me as family. Just something that inserted itself into their lives without warning.

They might even think I stole this body and the real Pureblood was lost forever.

"Pure...? Why are you shaking?"

My eyes fly open to see a pair of bright blue, concerned ones. "Are you... crying?" he asks, and I reach a hoof up to rub the dampness hanging on my eyelashes.

"No," I answer. "It's nothing."

"You can tell me if anything's wrong," the colt insists. "I promise, even if it's stupid, I won't laugh."

"How reassuring," I deadpan, getting him to smile.

"I know," he says with pride before looking concerned again. "So come on, tell me."

"It's..." I'm just about to say it's nothing, when I stop. Wouldn't that be a lie?

"Tell them... the truth... or... the lie... will devour thee."

The voice bubbles up from that same void in my memories, and I jolt. What was that? "Pure?"

"I'm fine," I assure instantly. "Just thought I heard something."

"Oh, well then you can tell me what's wrong now."

"Bluey..." I begin in exasperation, but he cuts me off.

"Come on, just tell," he presses. "You'll feel better."

"Fine," I groan. "But it's stupid... and weird."

"I promised I wouldn't laugh, remember?"

"I remember." I take a deep breath, asking myself if I'm really going to attempt this. "Okay, um, hypothetically-"

"Hypo-what-now?"

"Um, it kinda means pretending," I explain. "What I mean is... let's pretend something, and you tell me what you would think if it was real."

He tilts his head for a second, but nods. "Okay, I can do that. What're we pretending?"

"Well, pretend that I was... something else," I begin, trying to put this in a way the colt could understand. "Like, before I was Pureblood the unicorn, I had been somepony- something else."

"How can you be something before you're you?"

"Like, I had a different life, with a different name and different family," I continue. "And even different body, but when that stuff... ended... I got to be Pureblood."

"Okay..." he says slowly, raising an eyebrow. "I guess that would be... weird, but is that supposed to be bad?"

"It means I wouldn't be who you think I am," I say, looking down. "It means Pureblood would only be a part of me... and that I have been pretending otherwise for as long as you or any pony has known me... It means I lied."

"I... don't think that's lying," Blueblood says, tapping his chin.

I look up to him, confused. "How couldn't it? If you all thought I was one way, but I turned out to be way different than that, wouldn't it be a lie to let you think that?"

"No, because being Pureblood would still be you," he declares confidently. "It would be like saying the first part of a book is a lie just 'cause there are more pages after it."

I open my mouth, then shut it, brow furrowing in thought for a few seconds. "But if I let you think the first part is all there is, you'd never know there was more to the book if I didn't tell you."

He just shrugs. "Maybe, but that still isn't a lie. Besides, I'm not stupid; I could just read the book myself and see that there's more."

"That's not how this works!" I argue, getting frustrated.

"Yes it is," Bluey counters glibly. "I'm not stupid. I can read just fine." I sigh, closing my eyes in resignation while he keeps talking. "Besides, I don't need to read the whole book to know a lot about it."

"What?"

"Like if it's a funny story, or an adventure story," he says. "I can figure that out just from a couple pages. I can tell if it's gonna be a happy or sad story... I may not know everything if I only read half of it, but I still know more than half, and I think that can be enough."

"Enough for what?" I question.

"If it's a good book, and if I like it," he answers, then looks me in the eyes . "... If you're a book I've only read some of, you're still my most favorite book. I could read a hundred books all the way through, and that would still be true."

I blink, surprised, then blink more as my vision gets watery. "That's..." Reassuring? A weight off my shoulders I didn't realize was there? "That's very nice," I finish, smiling. "You're my most favorite book, too."

He smiles. "Thanks... wait? What kind of book am I, then? You really like the dictionary... You're not saying I'm a boring old dictionary, are you?"

Giggling, I shake my head. "Of course not, silly... you don't know nearly enough words to be a dictionary. You're more like a picture book."

"Oh, well that's good... Hey! Wait! I know lots of words!"

"Not as many as I do," I respond, smiling smugly.

"That's only 'cause you know a bunch of stupid words no pony uses, like hippo-the-cathy!"

"Hypothetically," I correct. "And they're not stupid words. They're cool words for cool ponies, like me and Aunt Celestia."

While he continues to argue that big words are only a waste of time compared to smaller, easy-to-say words, I just playfully debate, until I yawn and feel my eyelids growing heavier.

"Whatever," Bluey says suddenly. "Just go to sleep already, dictionary filly," he grumbles, though there's fondness underneath the sour tone. "Goodnight, Pure."

I smile softly, feeling sleep overtake me. Still, I have the energy for one last tease. "And a pleasant rest to you, as well, Bluey."

"See? So many extra words!"

I laugh under my breath and let my eyes shut, the sensation in my head not as distracting anymore. As I fall asleep, though, I can't help but reflect on what I had told my brother. It certainly can't be called the truth, and I didn't frame it as such, but still... it gives me hope.

Hope that Blueblood isn't alone in his way of thinking. Hope that any of my other precious ponies would give similar answers.

It's a pleasant a thought to have as I drift to sleep.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay. I ended up kind of just dragging my feet all last month and just started getting energy back the last few days.
Hopefully this chapter isn't too rough; I know there was some discontent over the last chapter and the direction people thought it would take the story.
Did a small edit of said chapter, by the way. Just changed the chants of 'monster' to 'fake'. Seemed a more... logical subconscious fear for Pure, I guess.

Also, thanks to Emtu for corrections.