• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 26,390 Views, 2,907 Comments

Gilded Sister - Kind of Brony



A young girl who never got a chance to live is gifted that chance in the form of a new body, life, and brother. How will this old soul take to her strange world?

  • ...
45
 2,907
 26,390

Proposal

"You think she's sick or something?" Twinkleshine asks from around her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, referring to the glaring green filly at the picnic table two away from ours. The stare is so intense that it's emptied the tables between us, clearing a path for Buttercup's ire.

"I hope so," Lemon Heart comments, getting Lyra to nod in agreement and try to match Buttercup's glare for a few seconds before giving up and going back to her carrot sticks.

I just sigh and take another bite of my cucumber sandwich. I could really use a cookie right now, but I'm trying to save it for a proper dessert. Mr. Scatter just sent us out for lunch, and our little group, sans Blueblood, has settled at our usual spot. The kindergarten doesn't have any playground equipment, but there's plenty of picnic tables so the foals can get fresh air while they eat.

It'd be enjoyable if not for the daggers being glared our way. "Just ignore her," I comment. "She's not sick, just angry about something."

"But about what?" Moondancer wonders, fidgeting under the distant filly's anger. "Is she still mad about not getting your last bite of ice cream? That was days ago, and it wasn't even hers to begin with."

"Maybe," I say with a shrug. Honestly, I can't be bothered with Buttercup's attitude right now. As long as she's not picking on anypony, it's a notable improvement from what she's up to most of the time. She hasn't been bothering me since the ice cream incident five days ago, but that doesn't mean she's stopped. As a matter of fact, she's actually gotten worse towards the other students, as if she's redirecting the harassment meant for me to the rest of the class instead. Twilight has already been reduced to tears twice this week by the green bully.

One thin silver lining to all of this is that Buttercup's finally caught the attention of our oblivious teacher, and Mr. Scatter has begun catching her in the act of tormenting others more often. He's given her more than a few stern warnings and has even resorted to giving her an assigned seat, something none of the rest of us have, front and center so he can keep a better eye on her.

None of that has fixed whatever the underlying issue is, however, and the filly is still full to the brim with anger. With another sigh, I finish my sandwich and smile lightly. Finally, I've earned my reward for being patient, pulling the chocolate chip cookie from my lunch bag. Oh yeah, this'll calm my nerves.

"Should we go talk to her?" Minuette suddenly asks, tilting her head as she meets the other filly's angry eyes with her curious ones. "Maybe she just needs a friend?"

I stop right before biting down, slowly pulling the baked good from my mouth to stare incredulously at my blue friend along with the rest of the girls.

Minuette moves her inquiring eyes to us and wrinkles her muzzle. "What?"

"Are you foaling with us, Minny? Like really? Be friends with that?" Lyra questions, pointing over to the offending pony. "Buttercup needs a kick in the flank, not a friend."

"I agree," I begin. "Well, not about the kicking thing, but with being her friend. Ponies have tried, but she's just too mean to make friends." Maybe if she could get over whatever it is that makes her that way, it could work, but from what little I can piece together from conversations between grownups when they didn't think I was listening, that's something only Buttercup's mom can fix.

"Well, maybe they just aren't trying hard enough," counters Minuette stubbornly, getting Moondancer to pipe up.

"I don't know... You didn't see her with the ice cream. She was really, really mean."

"She must really like ice cream," Minuette notes absently. "We should get her some."

"Okay, now I know you're going crazy," Lemon Heart states. "How would we even give her ice cream before it melted?"

The blue unicorn shrugs, then looks over as Twinkleshine pats her shoulder understandingly. "I think you're thinking too hard. It's really nice, but I don't think you should worry about Buttercup so much. If she wanted friends, she would be nicer."

Minuette looks ready to argue, but I cut her off. "Whether she needs a friend or not, there's nothing you can do right now, so hurry and finish your lunch. Break's almost over."

The candid remark does the trick as the bubbly foal heaves a sigh and goes back to eating. As much as I hate seeing any of my friends so dejected, I know that trying to make friends with Buttercup would only cause Minuette more pain down the road. No, it's for the best if we all just leave the green bully alone until something changes for the better.

What that could be, I don't know, but it probably won't be happening any time soon, so it's best not to worry. For now, I'm just going to enjoy this cookie.


...I need another cookie. Seriously, how does Mom expect me to deal with such hostility point blank without even bringing me a baker's dozen of her finest double chocolate chip? And a nap, too, while we're at it, since I'm pooped after a long day of magic kindergarten.

I've actually been getting some practice in alongside the other students during class since the incident at the diner, even if it's only a little bit. It's definitely easier to focus at home where the air isn't filled with the magic of a bunch of other foals, but being able to at least wiggle a downy feather across the desk while my classmates are whipping around marbles is a clear improvement, even if it does leave me wiped at the end of the day.

It also gives me a bit of a headache, my magical exhaustion seemingly compounding the effects the magic of others has on me.

Yep, a nap and some sugar would be great right about now, munching on cookies while resting on Mom's back. Maybe I could even give one to Buttercup to try and appease her for a bit. It'd be a small price to pay to stop the glaring. Instead, I have to endure as our mothers speak, which is a surprise in itself.

It was certainly a strange sight to see my mom and Buttercup's talking to each other as I stepped outside, both because I'd never seen them talk, and because the black maned mare was smiling lightly instead of the scowl she wore the few times she looked our way. That expression, it seems, has been adopted by her daughter, and surprisingly, my brother.

From the moment the rest of our friends moved on, confusion on their faces as they pondered why Buttercup and her mom hadn't left as soon as the filly was out of the building like usual, Blueblood has been glaring at her while she has kept her gaze focused mainly on me, flicking it only occasionally to the colt. Leaning into his side is just as much for my comfort as it is preparedness in case he tries to tackle Buttercup and I need to restrain him.

"I'm glad to hear things have worked out so well for Glow Seed. I had a feeling he'd get along with my brother," Mom is saying with an easy smile.

Daisy Care, as my mom called her, returns the smile, tired, but genuine. "Yes, Glow's quite taken with him. Why, with the way he talks about Sunlight, you'd think the two were best friends or brothers."

Mom giggles. "Yes, I got a similar impression from Sunlight's letter thanking me for sending such a competent assistant his way."

Daisy's smile seems to lose some of it's fatigue at hearing that. "It's good to know his efforts are being appreciated." The mare then looks down at us foals and asks, "And how are the twins? Doing well, I hope."

"Oh, yes, Mr. Scatter has told me that Blueblood here has really been impressing him with how quickly he's advancing in class," Mom preens. "And Pureblood has been getting much better at levitating her quill."

His attention pulled away from Buttercup at the mention of his name, Bluey looks up and beams. "Yeah, I'm the best in the whole class. I can lift three metal balls at the same time now."

"Wow, that is impressive," Daisy compliments indulgently. "Though I shouldn't be surprised. Your magic was quite... spectacular when you were just a little surging foal."

"Hmm? How'd you know that?" I question curiously as I look up.

"Not that I'd expect you to remember; you were both so young back then, but I used to work for your parents," she explains. "And Blueblood here gave me quite the workout on most days, chasing him throughout the manor."

Blueblood is practically glowing under what he perceives as a compliment while I'm busy scouring my memories. I'll admit that memorizing the faces of the many ponies that cared for us in those days wasn't very high on my priorities, what with just recently being reborn and finding myself with a new family, but I'm still surprised I hadn't recognized this mare after having seen her so many times.

Then something clicks and I squint, the resulting blurred image drudging up memories of a giggling baby Blueblood clapping his hooves at a silly-faced mare. "Scrunchy Nose!" I blurt without thinking. "You used to take care of us!"

Everypony is a different degree of surprised by my outburst, Daisy being the most so. "Er, yes, I was a nanny," she says haltingly, "You... remember?"

I nod vigorously, the mare from my memories aligning more with the one before me. Her mane is styled differently, and she's not wearing any clothes, but this is definitely the nanny who could always make Bluey stop crying and laugh instead. "Mhmm! You used to make this really funny face where you crossed your eyes and scrunched your nose and your tongue would stick out the side like this." I try to demonstrate, but by the unsettled expressions I get in return, I'm not doing the face justice. "Well... you know the one."

"I certainly don't," Mom says, turning to the other mare with a raised brow and smirk. "Though it does sound quite funny."

Daisy blushes and stammers, "O-oh, it's nothing, really, just something foals seem to like. I figured it out with my little brother and sister first; I'd foalsit all the time for them while my parents worked and, well, it always made them happy."

"Now you have me really curious," Mom says. "Would you mind showing us? I'm sure the foals would appreciate it too."

At this, I'm eager while Bluey looks up to the green mare quizzically and Buttercup is watching with lips slightly parted and expression unreadable. "Yeah, make the face so Bluey will remember!" I encourage, getting Daisy to look around as if fearful of witnesses.

"I... suppose it won't hurt," she concedes squaring her shoulders. "Just this once." and then, with a preparatory exhalation, her features contort. With her nose scrunching up, eyes crossing, and tongue popping out the side of her mouth, it's just as I remember it, and if the sudden gasp from my brother is any indication, he's remembering too.

"It's you!" the colt yells, hopping up and down excitedly. "The funny pony!"

Face reverting to it's normal arrangement, Daisy smiles. "You remember too? Ha, I'd have thought you'd both have forgotten me by now."

"How'd I forget the funny pony?" Blueblood seems to ask himself incredulously. "You made me laugh all the time until... Where'd you go?"

At this, Daisy's smile becomes strained and Mom's posture becomes rigid. "Oh, I... didn't want to leave, but I, well..." the green mare struggles to find words, eyes darting around before landing on her daughter, who I now notice has gone completely still and has her mouth open in shock. "Buttercup? Are you alright?"

"You..." she whispers, lower lip quivering. "Y-you did the face... for them? For her?" Suddenly, her mouth snaps shut and she's visibly shivering. I catch just a glimpse of burning eyes before she lowers her head, messy bangs hiding them. "I want to go home," she says, voice scratchy.

"Buttercup?" her mother begins. "What's wrong?"

"I want to go home, now."

"Sweetie-"

"I wanna go home!"

The shout shocks us all and I flinch back, falling on my bottom. The filly stomps the ground hard and her horn is visibly sparking, the magic radiating off like waves of flaming oil. I yelp and scramble backwards away from the volatile mana. I don't make it far on my own before Mom scoops me and backpedals, having guessed correctly that I was hurting.

And boy, does this hurt. I screw my eyes shut and wish I was on the ground so that I could run away from the sensation of my horn being on fire.

"Buttercup, please!" I hear Daisy plead, only for Buttercup to demand louder to go home. Her magic raises with her voice and I hiss in response. Bluey is yelling now, but I can't focus on it. Can what I'm feeling right now really be from Buttercup's magic alone? Is she really strong, or is it something else? Is this her animosity that's beating against by skull like a flaming baseball bat?

Daisy tries to say something, but Mom cuts her off, telling her to go as I feel her doing the same. Slipping me unto her back, I instinctively bury my face into her mane and suppress a groan as each jostling step sends a new pulse of pain through my skull. I had the beginnings of a headache before, but now it feels like I just took a nosedive off the side of Canterlot.

I'm not sure how long it is before I'm placed gently down on a bench and Mom starts fretting over me, asking if I'm okay. I hear the word "hospital" somewhere in there and quickly right myself, forcing my head up and my wobbly legs to remain still as I say, "M'fine."

"Are you sure? Is your horn okay? Do you need some water? Oh, maybe we should go to the hospital just to be sure. You haven't had a reaction like that in-"

"I'm fine, really," I affirm, scooting away from the hoof on my cheek. It might not be entirely true, but I am feeling better since getting away from Buttercup and her sparking horn. "I'm just tired..."

Mom bites her lip for a few seconds before sighing. "Okay, we'll rest here for a minute, then go straight home," she concedes, sitting down next to me. "But if you're still not feeling well by tonight, we're going to see Dr. Mend."

She pulls me close and I don't resist, leaning into her side and closing my eyes. I nearly fall asleep right then, but movement from my other side has me cracking one eye open. Bluey is sitting there, facing me with concern clear in his expression. "You okay, sis?"

I smile tiredly and answer, "I will be." He still seems worried however, so I hold a hoof out and add, "Snuggles might help."

Before I know it, he's pressed up against my side and Mom wraps her hoof around us both. The warmth from being sandwiched between them and the droning city sounds of ponies going about their day is too much, and I find myself falling asleep within minutes.


Ornate arrived at the little café to find Daisy waiting at one of the small, round tables set out front, looking far more nervous than the pink mare had ever seen her, but after yesterday, it was understandable.

Pure had slept the entire way back home, and three hours more once she was placed in her bed. Ornate had been just about ready to whisk her filly off to the doctor before she finally woke up with a yawn. After that, she seemed perfectly healthy, if a little bleary for the rest of the night, which was enough to keep her husband from marching out of the house to do something foolish.

It was Stalwart Shield that had to remind him that he couldn't press charges against a filly and that the guards would not throw one in the dungeons no matter how much clout he had, which Ornate was infinitely grateful for. She wasn't exactly in the right state of mind herself while her daughter was unconscious in bed, and her husband's ludicrous ideas weren't sounding altogether unreasonable at the time.

Luckily, she had managed to get her head straight and remind herself that Buttercup was just a filly no older than her own and that whatever led to the outburst outside of school, and no doubt her aggressive behavior in it, would not be solved with harsh punishments. No, whatever her problems were, they'd have to be resolved with words and understanding.

This is exactly what Ornate had intended to bring up with Daisy Care when a message arrived at the manor inviting her to this place the next day.

"Daisy," Ornate said as she approached the table. "How have you been?"

"Mrs. Garden-" the green mare began, startled out of whatever thoughts had her so preoccupied. "I didn't notice you were here."

Ornate smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. "Bright pink does tend to blend into the background."

Daisy's chuckle sounded forced as she nodded. "Yes, a natural camouflage to be sure. Please, sit, I just ordered a pot of coffee a bit ago, I hope you don't mind."

"Coffee would be wonderful right now," Ornate informed, taking a seat. "You never did answer my question, though. How are you?"

"Good, good," said Daisy, placing her hooves on the tablecloth to smooth out wrinkles that didn't even exist. "I... maybe didn't get the best night sleep after yesterday's... incident, but I'm awake."

"I know what you mean," Ornate said. "Even after Pure woke up, the nerves from it all made sleep hard."

Daisy gulped. "Is... is she alright?"

"Pureblood? Yes. She just needed some rest is all, though it really did take it out of her."

"... I'm sorry."

Ornate doesn't say anything to that, and the two wait in silence for the waiter to arrive with a pot of coffee and some cups. Daisy quickly busied herself with pouring them each a cup.

Ornate gave her thanks and sipped at her beverage, welcoming the burning sensation as much as the caffeine to perk her up. Daisy didn't drink, instead opting to stare into the dark liquid. "I don't know what to do with her," the green mare suddenly spoke. "Mr. Scatter has talked to me already about Buttercup's behavior towards the other foals, and I've tried to talk to her about it, but it's like everything I say just makes her angrier. I had hoped that maybe it was just in response to her father being out of the house more since he got his new job, that she'd adjust to the change, but I don't know anymore."

"Have you thought about having her speak to a professional?" Ornate asked, expecting the weak glare she received, but still feeling the need to say it. "It might help."

"My daughter isn't crazy. She doesn't need to see a foal psychiatrist."

"I never said she was, but it's obvious there are issues she needs to work out, and if she's not willing to share them with you, then maybe a-"

"If it wasn't me, then she'd always tell her father, but she's barely spoken two words to him since last night," Daisy interjected. "Still more than the silent treatment I've gotten, but I think it's safe to assume she won't be willing to talk to anypony else about this."

Ornate would argue, but the other mare sounded so certain that to contradict her would no doubt be taken as an insult. It would be paramount to saying that she or some complete stranger knew Buttercup better than her own mother.

Instead, the blonde maned mare sighed and squared her shoulders. "Then perhaps we should go with my father-in-law's plan."

Daisy raised a brow. "And what's that?"

Maintaining her posture, Ornate tried to answer with as much confidence as she could muster. "I don't know."

"... What?"

"He... spent a lot of time talking to Pure, and after, he said he knew what had to be done. He wouldn't give me the specifics, but he said that if you came to the manor tomorrow and bring Buttercup, then he knew how to work out the rest."

"And you trust him?" Daisy asked disbelievingly. "He's a retired guard; not exactly a background that promotes foal rearing."

"He did well enough with my husband," Ornate mumbled with a blush before trying to regain her conviction. "Besides, at this point, we don't have any other options. I certainly don't have any ideas, and you refuse to take your daughter to a professional, and, well, Stalwart Shield has proven himself more than capable of handling the twins since moving in with us so, at least this time, I'm willing to trust him."

Daisy still looked unconvinced, so Ornate used her trump card. "You still owe me for Glow Seed's job with my brother."

The other mare jerked back as if struck, then narrowed her eyes. "That's dirty..."

"And true," Ornate countered. "Please... just do this. Let us at least try."

Daisy looks conflicted between agreeing or storming off, but after a deep breath, she sighs. "Fine, I'll take tomorrow off. What time should we be over?"

Author's Note:

Thanks to Emtu for editing. Kind of sprung it on them and the delivered quickly nonetheless.
You know, for all the different models for parenting, I know Ornate's passive, talky-feely approach may seem odd to some, but I kinda figure it's pretty common in Equestria where violence is a rarity and conflicts are fought with pies. There probably aren't a lot of ponies willing to get... physical with their foals when they act out.
I'm sure there's some, though, and Stalwart Shield is about to show these mares some alternative parenting techniques.