• Published 16th Aug 2016
  • 2,760 Views, 38 Comments

The Animal: Inside and Out. - Mick0339



A teenager, with no knowledge of any world but his own finds himself in another. Of course, his species are also there, but in a different evolutionary path; as mindless, aggressive beasts. It also doesn't help he's thought of as one.

  • ...
14
 38
 2,760

Chapter 5- They come fast, but I come faster.

I slowly laid out the blanket on the shivering girl, who even in her clothing was quite cold. I couldn't blame her; some people were just more used to it. I let the carbon icecles float in the air as I exhaled. I should've felt cold, freezing really, but I felt completely fine. I wasn't cold, and my body wasn't acting strangely in any way I knew, so I had no idea why. I felt warm, calm, collected, and ready for anything.

I simply adorned my baggy pants and gazed out at the moonlight, wondering how the next day will go. It annoyed me to all hell. Why was I here? Why me? Is it destiny, or just a twisted fate? I had managed to get some clothing at least, but I might've also compromised any trips back to the town. As quick of a learner, I could be, I need something to learn from, and essential supplies besides food and water were practically going to always be out of my grasp. Although, that cottage could probably provide me with some supplies; I'd have to be extra careful, though.

I slowly approached back to the darkening interior of our current abode. It was odd, just a week ago and I was sleeping in my bed, wondering what the next day will bring. And yet, even in a completely different world, it was the same question.


I never liked waking up bright and butt-early. But, well, the circumstances simply called for it now. The sooner I was up, the sooner I could scout, scavenge and map out the area without the girl waking up wondering where I had gone. It was quite logical actually, and as a math man myself, logic made a lot of sense, but so did magic, yes complete sense.

As I had dreamed during the night I had figured out what was happening, the world I was on, it was affecting my body, changing it. I was never as strong as I had been, even when I was ready to kill people. They say the phenotype can seriously impact the body given enough stress, and I suppose the world was simply asserting itself on my body, some gene reacting to the environment, to the energies swirling around in the air and living in the magical creatures of the world.

How? How did I figure this? I had held a stone in my grasp during the night and once morning had come it was dust, blowing in the morning wind. It was truly amazing, I really did need to test my strength though as it was changing quicker than I realized. It has been a little over a week and already I've at least tripled. Perhaps it is the pure amount of magical exposure I've had, it's had an evolving effect on my body, changing it to combat the outside force the best way it can, pure brute strength.

I slowly began to climb down the side of the cliffside- but I figured what the hell and with a 30-foot drop I let myself go, half in fear, but also half in curiosity. My experiment was a success as I landed without a hitch. As I slammed into the ground a small crater was formed and my legs tightened up and released in a sprawl of raw power. It was a real rush as I stood back up unscathed. No bones were cracked or broken, in fact, they were probably stronger.

I had a huge smile on my face. Now, what were my mission objectives? Oh yes, scout out the area. That local cottage is probably a good place to start actually. Can probably nab some local supplies there every so often. I slowly took one step towards my destination to feel a jerk in my leg and quickly I could see my face slam into a tree and then I groaned in frustration. It would certainly get some getting used to, it certainly would.


"Oh, hello Twilight," the shy, timid and quite cute(like a puppy) pony said. The cottage was lively, with tons of animals squabbling and running around. It was quite a beautiful place indeed, but Twilight was there simply for information.

"Fluttershy, do you remember the human in town a week ago?" Fluttershy slowly nodded. She kept a few humans on hand as pets and close companions. They were quite docile and compassionate when given a good owner. But that human that she had heard about, it was quite the opposite. It was scary as the reports had said. It had struck a pony so hard his horn popped off, and then the other day when the ponies came running to the town, injured and scared for their lives. The human had permanently crippled another pony that day. At least the first horn could be put back on and healed, the second was permanently gone, and even if it was put back on, the link of magic was gone.

"Yes, it was quite awful if I say so. I never knew humans could be so aggressive and dangerous as that. It doesn't even seem like it's one."

"Yes, well about that," Twilight slightly sighed and then reaffirmed herself with a slight 'ahem.' Apparently, he had come into town during the night and not only attacked Spike but also stole some clothes from Rarity's shop." Twilight purposefully left out the note part, opting to keep it under wraps until it could be deemed real or not.

"Twilight did he really do that?" Fluttershy asked, needing to know, because what was possibly true from this note was a major discovery.

"Trust me Fluttershy, I wouldn't be here if he didn't. Now, have you seen a human in the forest, or have any of your critters seen one? The princesses have actually asked all of the elements to look into this matter."

"I can ask," the pegasus replied as she began looking around instructing all of her pets to come closer, even the humans, for she wanted to ask some questions. Bunnies, frogs, fish in ponds, birds chirping on by and even a bear and humans all swarmed their caretaker, looking concerned at the pink-maned pony. "Have any of you seen a human lately. He was rather strange and was more aggressive than most?" Then the familiar white-tailed bunny hopped on forward in his nonchalant, yet protective and obedient attitude towards Fluttershy. She began to nod as the bunny seemingly spoke to her, meanwhile Twilight was still amazed she could communicate with the animals so thoroughly.

After slightly snapping out of it the purple pony asked the obvious question. And Fluttershy looked slightly angered by what was said.

"Those ponies!" Fluttershy yelled. "They were gonna kill an innocent creature!" Twilight was well-aware that the ponies were poachers, but really didn't pay too much mind due to it being legal, but Fluttershy on the other hand, she was almost in a rage and her animals were begging for their scary master to calm down.

"Fluttershy, please." Twilight tried to get to her friend and she needed answers, "Just tell me what he said."

Fluttershy erupted in a mighty and slightly saddened huff as she turned to her friend. "He saved a bear." Twilight was slightly confused.

"Saved a bear?" Fluttershy nodded.

"Angel was there and saw it all apparently. He was scavenging when he saw the ponies encroached on the bear and while it whined in pain and fear the human apparently came clamoring through the brush and then it had a face of fury on it." Fluttershy began to look at the human as a hero.

"But then they tried to kill it after it showed them he would fight back, but it, it--"Fluttershy slightly shivered. "It survived a direct blast of a powerful magic spell and then, like we saw, rendered the pony magicless by slowly ripping the horn off of the fellow." Twilight was taken back as well.

"You mean the human literally ripped the horn straight off?" Fluttershy nodded. And then Twilight thought of regular humans. Humans have been able to crack horns, even break them, but never completely rip off the horn and the connection. They say a unicorn's connection to magic is like a drug, and once it's gone their will to live goes with it, but there have been cases where the pony in question can overcome those urges. Still, it's a painful process, either way, to have a part of the soul being ripped away from the whole.

Meanwhile, as the two ponies chatted a pair of sharp blue eyes viewed from the brush, with neutral intent and the purpose of pure information gathering.

"What are we going to do?" Fluttershy asked, scared of the human in question.

"We're going to start a sweep of the forest in a few minutes actually. The Princesses have a whole platoon with us to help the search. Any humans found will be captured, if we find him we'll be able to tell on pure sight alone." Fluttershy nodded slowly as the blue eyes slowly widened at the news and as the bushes rustled the eyes disappeared back into the brush.


I cursed my luck. That hour was more like half an hour due to her delayed information taking. The hybrid had probably gotten the information earlier than that and I estimate it at half-an-hour ago. I quickly slammed the accelerator and rammed my way through any brush, seemingly decimating a path in the process. I just made their tracking easier, but it was none the matter because I had a head start.

Then I saw a pegasus high above doing reconnaissance and he had definitely spotted me. He then made a bee-line back to command to inform them of the escaping human. I only put more power and made a mad jump up the cliffside clinging onto the edge and quickly holstering myself up to see the still-sleeping form of the small girl. I suppose I'll call her Rose due to her complexion and ginger-like features. So Rose was sprawled out sleeping, looking quite warm in fact and I was a little jealous, but jealousy had to wait as I slowly approached her. I slowly shook her to see the cute yawn and confused face. I gave her a serious look and quickly gathered up our things slung them over our shoulders and then with one fell swoop had the girl sitting on my shoulders. She slumped over on my head from slight exhaustion and sleep recovery, but we needed to move and so with swiftness, I emerged from the cave and dived down the cliffside again. Then I heard the shouting.

"There he is!" The same damned flyer had spotted me and so with the frustration I glided a rock at the pegasus and yet that was a slight mistake as it glided a little too fast. And let's just say that if it had hit the pony he wouldn't necessarily be in the world of the living and I'm not just talking about the fall. Then more came and continued to track me. I was wasting time, I needed to move and quick.

"I'm gonna get you!" A cyan pegasus roared as brush fell and a thunder roared by my face. I got a quick glimpse of an arrogant pony who I could already tell had too much speed for my taste. I made a quick dash to the left and zoomed through the forest. I heard shouting from every direction but that one, and so I was on the run, AGAIN!

Author's Note:

I have a lot of the back-story all figured out now.