• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 3,343 Views, 366 Comments

Truthseeker - RB_



Gifted with the power of Truth, Lyra is inducted into an underground network of monster hunters.

  • ...
4
 366
 3,343

PreviousChapters Next
Waxing Crescent

“So we think she was trying to ascend the first time, but we still have no idea what she was after last time,” Lyra said, shifting slightly on her couch.

“I see,” Apporoth said.

“Bonnie’s been asking around, though,” she added. “Apparently she still knows some ponies from the Agency she thinks might be able to help.”

“That is good,” Apporoth said. He leaned back in the chaise lounge he was occupying. Lyra’s dream this time was taking place in a well-furnished house on a cliff. The sound of the ocean crashing against the rocks below undercut the crackling of the fire in the mantle.

“And any theories as to her motivations?”

“A couple,” Lyra said, “but nothing concrete. Our best guess is that she wants immortality.”

“That seems logical, given what she said to you in the hotel.”

“Yeah. I don’t think that’s it, though,” Lyra said. Her brow furrowed. “Call it a gut feeling, but she seems too… focused. There’s something else to this, I’m sure of it.”

Apporoth hummed. “I’d bet on your gut feeling, young one. There are far simpler ways of achieving longevity than apotheosis.”

Lyra raised an eyebrow. “What—”

“Best I not say anything more,” Apporoth said. “But also remember, she has already demonstrated her ability to cheat death; pure immortality makes little sense as a motive to someone who can already do that. I take it you’ve had little success on that mystery, as well?”

“None,” Lyra said. “I don’t suppose you’ve thought of anything?”

“There are only two truths in this universe that I do not know,” he said. “That of the mare we know as Hollyleaf, and that of what takes place beyond your mortal coil. Between the two, there is little I can do to assist on that matter.”

Lyra sighed. “I was afraid of that. What about—"

A sudden rapping on a door Lyra was positive hadn’t been there a minute ago interrupted her. Lyra glanced at Apporoth, who shrugged.

“It seems the moon-child would like a word,” he said. “Best not keep her waiting long.”

Bemused, Lyra got off the couch and opened the door.

The other side of the door opened out to an endless, star-filled expanse, populated only by further doors and one smiling lunar princess.

“Hello, Lyra Heartstrings,” Luna said. “May I come in?”

“Uh… sure, your highness,” Lyra said, stepping to one side.

“Luna, remember,” she said as she stepped inside. She took a look around the place, her eyes settling on Apporoth. “You must be Lyra’s benefactor.”

“That I am, moon-child,” he said. “Apporoth, god of Truth. A pleasure.”

“Hm,” Luna said. “I must say, it was a surprise to hear your kind was still around after all these years. I would have expected the last of you to have left a long time ago.”

“A few of us are still hanging around,” he said, his smile unwavering. “Something you should probably be grateful for.”

“And why is that?”

“Well,” he said, “you were just about to ask my champion for a favor, were you not?”

Luna narrowed her eyes. “Yes. I was.”

She turned to Lyra. “Lyra Heartstrings, I would like to request your assistance in a matter.”

“On yesterday’s night, the Canterlot Museum of the Magical Sciences suffered a break-in. There are no signs of forced entry, but two guards were found dead and encased in crystal. In addition, there is a janitor by the name of Clean Sweep who is still unaccounted for.”

“Okay,” Lyra said. “What was stolen?”

“That is difficult to say,” Luna said, “as the entirety of the exhibit those ponies were guarding has been placed under an illusion of itself, one so strongly cast that even our best mages estimate it would take them several days to crack. We do not have that kind of time.”

“Which is why you came to me,” Lyra said.

“Indeed. Your ability could be key in recovering anything which may have been taken. That exhibit held a number of important and powerful magical artifacts. In the wrong hooves…”

“This is just a request, of course,” Luna added. “You are under no obligation to help, though the crown would appreciate your efforts.”

Lyra frowned. “I’m sorry, princess,” she said. “I’d like to help, but… There’s something going on right now, something big. It’s not safe for me to leave Ponyville. Not just for my own sake, but everypony else’s as well.”

“…I see. I trust that this thing you speak of is important to the well-being of Equestria?”

“Most likely.”

“And I assume you would be reluctant to share it with me?”

“Unfortunately, yes.”

“Very well, then,” Luna said. “I will trust you that your problem takes precedence over mine, and I wish you the best of luck and any services you may need in its resolution. I will just have to look elsewhere.”

“Thank you, Luna. I’m sorry.”

Luna turned to go. Just as she was about to step through the door, however…

“Lyra, you should go.”

Both Luna and Lyra turned towards Apporoth, the one who had just spoken.

“…Why?”

“Because,” Apporoth said, “I don’t know who did it.”

PreviousChapters Next