• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 3,335 Views, 366 Comments

Truthseeker - RB_



Gifted with the power of Truth, Lyra is inducted into an underground network of monster hunters.

  • ...
4
 366
 3,335

PreviousChapters Next
Dreams of Truth

“Hello child.”

Lyra opened her eyes. She was surrounded with white, apparently sitting in an endless expanse of nothing. Before her sat a large stallion who… bore a striking resemblance to Big Macintosh, actually, sharing the stallion’s coat and mane colors, as well as his size. If it weren’t for the longer hair, the three long spiraling horns, and the four extra legs, the two would have been indistinguishable.

“Why?”

“I am Apporoth, Deity of- What did you say?” Clearly, this was not the question he had been expecting.

“Why?”

“Why what, young one?”

“Why did you bless me?”

“Why did I deliver unto you my blessing? I did so because I sensed that you had a strong desire for the Truth.”

“But why me, specifically? Surely I’m not the only one to want to know the Truth, and there must be other ponies who deserve it more than me. Applejack, for instance; she’s the living embodiment of Honesty! Why me and not her?”

“Honesty is, indeed, a wonderful and powerful thing. But it is not Truth.” Seeing his champion’s confused expression, he continued. “Honesty is the revealing of one’s self, to lay one’s self open to others to allow for Harmony.

“But Truth is a cold, indifferent thing. It is knowledge, not of oneself, but of all things. Truth can be Honesty, yes, but it can also be Exposure. It can do great good, and it can do great harm.

“But without Truth, all would be lost, because a stable future cannot be built on lies. And it was this thought that I found reflected in you.

“Tell me, have you never felt that you would have been better off if the secrets of the world were laid bare to you? Most would not truly desire such a thing.”

Images flashed through Lyra’s mind. A briefcase. A pair of sunglasses and a grappling hook. Bon Bon. Sweetie Drops. Caverns of crystal. A pink alicorn. A queen.

“I see you have found your answer.”

PreviousChapters Next