• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 3,314 Views, 366 Comments

Truthseeker - RB_



Gifted with the power of Truth, Lyra is inducted into an underground network of monster hunters.

  • ...
4
 366
 3,314

PreviousChapters Next
Whitechapel Vigilance 1

Lyra was shaken awake by a somewhat-irate looking Bon Bon. “Lyra! Wake up!”

“…All right, I’m awake…” she sat up in the bed and shook her head back and forth for a moment in a failed attempt to clear out the cobwebs. “What’s going on?”

“That DJ pony,” she stated, “has been standing across the street from our house trying to look inconspicuous for the past half hour.”

Lyra rubbed her eyes. “So?”

“So, I went outside to confront her about it, but she wandered off when she saw me coming. And then she was back a few minutes later! You’re her friend, right? Do you have any idea what she could be up to?”

Lyra sighed, and dragged herself out of bed fully. “I’ll go ask her.” She wandered over to the door.

“Ask her? I thought she was mute?”

“Only mostly,” Lyra replied as she stumbled out of the room.

-----

Vinyl noticibly straightened as Lyra exited the storefront and crossed the street.

Finally! I’ve been waiting here for, like, two hours! Lyra heard in her head as she approached the vampire.

“Vinyl, why are you stalking our house?”

I was waiting for you!

“You could have just come in and asked Bon Bon to get me!” A thought struck her. She glanced around to make sure nopony was within earshot. “Or do you need to be invited in first?”

She snorted. Don’t be stupid.

“Well, why not then?”

I’m not going in there with her. Vinyl gestured at the store as she thought this; Lyra could hear the venom on ‘her’.

“Wait, you’re still afraid of Bon Bon? You know she joined the Owls, right?”

That doesn’t change anything.

“For Celestia’s sake, Vinyl, she doesn’t bite!”

Oh, har-har.

Lyra facehoofed. Deciding it was too early in the morning to deal with this tactfully, she decided to take drastic measures. Lighting her horn, she wrapped the DJ’s purple shades in her telekinesis and yanked them off her head.

Vinyl winced, her magenta eyes squinting against the morning sun. HEY!

Lyra paid her no mind, darting back across the street with the glasses in tow. After a moment, she heard Vinyl’s hoofbeats behind her, but she made it through the shop’s door. Bon Bon looked up from behind the counter as Lyra shot into the store and ran over to her. A moment later, the door banged open as a very angry Vinyl barged in.

What’s the big idea!? I wear those glasses for a REASON, you know- Vinyl froze in place as her watering eyes met Bon Bon’s confused gaze. Ohhhhhh crap.

“Vinyl Scratch, meet Bon Bon,” Lyra said with a grin. “Bonnie, this is Vinyl Scratch.”

Don’t-

“She’s a vampire.”

For a moment, nopony moved. Then, in an instant, Bon Bon’s eyes narrowed. She leaped on top of the counter and readied herself to attack. “Lyra, get behind me,” she commanded.

“Wait—”

Vinyl responded by dropping into a low stance, as if she were a cat preparing to pounce. She bared her long fangs visibly and emitted a guttural screech.

Bon Bon snorted in response. “What, no last minute speech? No elaborate threats? I’m disappointed.” Her eyes flicked over to Lyra for a split second. “Lyra. Now.”

Lyra made sure to stand directly in between the two, despite her every instinct yelling at her to run. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea, she thought. On the plus side, she was now very much awake.

“N-Now, hold on! Bonnie—”

“Lyra, get out of my way.”

“She’s vegetarian! And my friend! I can vouch for her!”

“Her kind are masters of deceit and trickery. Whatever she’s told you, she is NOT your friend.”

Lyra scoffed. “Truthseeker, remember? I can’t be lied to!”

“Then she found a way!”

“You’re being stupid, and you know it!” Lyra admonished. “Both of you are! Now calm down, and let’s talk about this like civilized ponies.”

“That is not a pony—”

“BON BON!” She looked into her marefriend’s eyes. “Please, just trust me. I promise, she’s okay.”

The two continued to hold their stances for a few more tense seconds. Abruptly, Vinyl broke the stare, returning to a more relaxed position. After a moment, Bon Bon did the same, slipping back down from the counter. Her distrustful gaze, however, remained solidly fixed upon the vampire.

Lyra let out a breath she hadn’t been aware she’d been holding. She levitated the DJ’s shades back over to her; she slipped them on immediately. She then flipped the sign on the door to closed.

“Okay. So, Vinyl, what’s up?”

I… have a request. A friend of mine is in trouble with the Society, and I think your ability might be able to help her.

“The Society?”

The Société de la Sanguine, Vinyl explained. The vampire sect of the underground.

“Ah, gotcha.”

“Excuse me,” Bon Bon interrupted. “How exactly are you communicating?”

“You can’t hear…?” It clicked. “Vinyl!”

Just because she isn’t trying to kill me doesn’t mean I trust her.

Lyra glared at her.

Fine! Hello, Bon Bon.

“Telepathy?” Bon Bon glared at Vinyl suspiciously. “If you try anything-“

“SO,” Lyra interrupted, “how can I help?”

I need you, Vinyl began, to help me catch a murderer.

PreviousChapters Next