• Published 16th Jul 2016
  • 8,493 Views, 449 Comments

The Fugitive Draconequus - Ironskull



Discord is brought to Ponyville to be reformed. As a safety precaution, he is deprived of his magic before his release. Naturally, he is upset by this, but... No one thought that the powerless spirit of chaos would actually run away!

  • ...
11
 449
 8,493

Twilight's Musical Interlude

"Hey, Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight lifts her nose out of her book and looks at me in surprise. "Um, yes?"

"Put that book down for just a moment and listen to me now. I want you to pay attention to what I have to say."

Twilight looks slightly alarmed about how serious I sound as she complies with my request.

"Okay," she says. "You have my attention. What was it that you wanted to say?"

"I have been thinking about what you said earlier, about how you think you are just a normal pony and how you feel like you've only achieved all that you have because you think you are constantly getting lucky."

Twilight stammers.

"But it's true!" she insists. "I'm nothing like the Princesses, and I'm not even nearly as... interesting as you!"

"Quit comparing yourself to others!" I say. "Especially to the princesses. You're not like either one of them, and you are all the better for it! And while I certainly won't deny my own attraction, that isn't to say that you aren't interesting yourself. After all, you're my partner in this venture, so I expect you to make me look good!"

"But what makes me so special?"

I make an exaggerated gesture of rolling my eyes at the mare.

"The only reason that other ponies don't hold you in as high regard as they do Princess Celestia is that she is on the throne and the eyes of everypony in the nation are upon her. Meanwhile, you have hidden yourself away and devoted your time to other pursuits. Which is just fine. But I know the truth: You're better than Celestia. That's why she relies on you for so much."

"You say all of these things," says Twilight with doubt. "But I have no reason to believe such generalizations. What specifically makes me so great?"

"Oh, come on!" I cry at her. "You don't need me to tell you that! Take a page from Rainbow Dash's book and take a moment to revel in your achievements!"

"Discord! That's... that's so egotistical!"

"Exactly! My friend doesn't get to act like she doesn't deserve recognition!"

"But what would my other friends think?"

"Hey, guess what!" I whisper with a smile. "Your friends aren't here right now. We're sooooo high in the sky right now, nopony will hear you except me, and I want to hear what you have to say for yourself."

"I don't know..."

"Come on, do it! Do it, do it... For me..."

Suddenly, to my slight astonishment, I feel a feel the strangest 'twang' in the magic around me.

"Well, okay," says Twilight, finally in acceptance. "If you really want to know that I have to say about myself..."

I can feel the tell-tale signs of a spontaneous musical number in the air. And it's a fast one.

Twilight takes a deep, deep breath.

"I am the very model of a magician intellectual,

My endless thirst for knowledge is outright aspectual,

I adore mathematics, and I am the town librarian,

I know many facts about the stars, but also matters Tellurian,

I am experienced in various subjects, from archeological to agrarian,

I have studied many creatures, terrestrial and aquarian,

My knowledge is enormous, but I can’t say that I’m sagacious,

That is why I am so very lucky to have a friend like Owlicious!

I am have tremendous ability in all things thaumaturgical,

My precision at inscribing rune matrices, well, I’d say is surgical;

In short, my adoration for knowledge is outright aspectual,

I am the very model of a magician intellectual!"

She stops for a second to take a breath.

"Ohho, that's good!" I declare. "I'm definitely going to start referring to that bird as 'Owlicious the Sagacious'. But remember, this is supposed to be about how great you are, not your friends. You can sing about them later."

"Right. Okay...

My substantial compendium of tomes has taken ages to procure,

I own books by the thousands, both common and obscure,

Some think I work too hard, but I don’t need a vacation,

All the relaxation I need is some time with my compilation!

I'm struck with anticipation when I conclude a dissertation,

But I burst into celebration when I achieve publication!

To be among the masters would be a tremendous sensation!

My greatest hope is for my research to one day sweep the nation!

I most definitely am not lazy, I can disprove this fallacy;

An active mind is the best way to burn a calorie!

In short, my adoration for knowledge is outright aspectual,

I am the very model of a magician intellectual!"

"So, is your tongue in a knot yet?" I ask with a grin that I couldn't hold back if I wanted to.

"Not yet," she responds.

"There are a great many reasons why I am a benefit to society,

Few can match my magic in either capacity or variety,

I know countless spells, but I’m also quite good at improvisation,

Which is a skill that is enhanced by my aptitude for formulization,

I know a spell that will reverse gravity within a certain localization,

And I know magic that will give amplification to my vocalization,

Others will attest that I have the ability to lift an ursa minor,

With nothing more than magic, I have the power to shear a carabiner!

My studies of all of these things has been painstakingly meticulous,

My mind is packed with so much stuff that it is actually ridiculous!

Even so, my everlasting desire for knowledge is aspectual,

I am the very model of a magician intellectual!"

I didn't even notice, but at some point during this spontaneous performance, Twilight apparently stood up in her seat. And now she is sitting back down, puffing slightly.

"The spirit of chaos is pleased!" I announce happily. "I applaud you! Well done!"

"That..." begins Twilight, and then she hesitates, but only for a moment. "That was actually pretty fun."