• Published 17th Jul 2016
  • 17,889 Views, 541 Comments

An Unexpected Twilight - Redbow Rose



When Twilight Sparkle's Ascension has an unanticipated side effect, the newest princess and her friends must help a second Twilight adjust to her new world...though the mind inside her has a secret that would surprise her new friends.

  • ...
40
 541
 17,889

Twilight's Ascension and Accidental Clone

Twilight Sparkle had a hectic day. After casting an unfinished spell given to her by her idol and mentor, Princess Celestia, and designed by her favorite historical figure, Starswirl the Bearded, things had quite predictably gone terribly wrong. The spell fiddled with the Elements of Harmony and, exploiting the connentions they had to the bearers, mixed around the cutie marks of Twilight's friends. Being the only one of the group who seemed to remember that things were not the way they should be, the librarian set out to right the wrongs and helped her friends remember who they were. At the end of it Twilight vanished while trying to complete the spell and found herself in an odd realm with her teacher. After learning that the spell needed a TRUE understanding of friendship to work, Twilight Sparkle was granted the form of an Alicorn, and became a Princess of Equestria.

Twilight appeared before her friends in a burst of light, causing them the shield their eyes. "Twilight..."Her friend Applejack asked cautiously, "is that really you?" the purple mare looked from her shocked friends to the new, purple wings on her back on full display.

"Yeah...it's me." She said, awe apparent in her voice. Before anything else could be said, however, the same light that accompanied the arrival of the newest alicorn shined above them. Twilight backed up, and they all looked at the new light in confusion. It wasn't bright enough to blind them, like the original flash was, but rather shown with an intensity slightly higher than the full moon above them. Out of the corner of her eye, Twilight saw Princess Celestia walk towards them from behind. "Princess!" She called out, causing her friends to look back, surprise still etched into their features. "Do you have any idea what's going on?"

The Princess wore a look of concern as she gazed upwards. "I'm afraid not, my faithful student. This is completely unexpected." Fluttershy let out a squeak of worry and was surprisingly the first to recover from shock, not counting their friend's arrival.

"Um...P-Princess, is it dangerous?" She asked.

"I don't believe so, but I recommend staying back." The Princess looked at the large sphere and prepared to shield her subjects as it began to lower. Everypony tensed up as it got closer to the ground. When it was fully lowered to the floor, the light began to dissipate rapidly. What was revealed was so mind blowing that even the immortal sun goddess, who had over a thousand years to perfect her Royal Poker Face and had seen nearly everything, had a look of utter shock on her face. In the space where the light vanished lay a pony. A unicorn with a purple coat and darker purple mane, a pink highlight going through her matching mane and tail, and a cutie mark with multiple stars surrounding a single large star in the middle.

Before them all lay none other than Twilight Sparkle herself.

~A few moments ago, Canterlot Castle~

Princess Luna had been looking over the the realm of Equestria, watching those who slept and observing those who admired her night sky when she sensed a magical disturbance of epic proportions eminating from Ponyville. She had smiled to herself. That was no doubt Twilight Sparkle undergoing her Ascension, and she was happy that her good friend had earned such a title. When a second disturbance occurred, showing just as much, if not more power than the first, Luna grew worried. When a letter appeared in front of her from Celestia asking for her presence in Ponyville, the Princess of the Night jumped from her balcony and flew to the small village immediately. While she would have normally taken a carriage flown by her Night Guard, this was an emergency and she could fly faster on her own.

She arrived in front of the Golden Oaks Library and first spotted Twilight and her friends talking in a circle, looking worn and tired but otherwise okay. When they saw her, they all bowed. She allowed herself a small smile when she saw the new alicorn's wings, and told them to rise. "Hello Luna," said Celestia's voice from behind her.

"Hello sister, may I ask what the problem is? I was looking over our land when I felt a truly large surge in magic coming from here. I had expected that to be due to Twilight's Ascention, and I see I was not wrong in my assumption, but then I felt it again and became worried. When you sent the letter I hurried here as fast as I could, but nothing seems to be out of place. What happened?" Celestia almost answered, then shook her head. "It's better if you see for yourself."

Curious but wary, the Moon Princess followed her elder sister into the library. She stopped when she saw the being on the couch. She blinked once. She looked outside at Twilight Sparkle. The purple pony noticed this and sheepishly waved. Luna looked back at the couch and blinked a few more times, to be sure of her vision. "Sister...why are there two of Twilight Sparkle?"

Celestia sighed. "I'm not sure, but I doubt the second is a threat. I feel that we should bring her to the castle, our medical staff can care for her if she wakes up." Luna nodded slowly. After returning to the Element Bearers, with the second Twilight on Celestia's back, the Solar Princess told the group to return to their homes and sleep. "I ask that you all return here tomorrow at noon, we have much to discuss. Twilight, my faithful student, I request that you stay in the library until my return. I know that this is a lot to take in, but I believe it to be best if we keep your new form a secret for a short while. If you have need of me do not be afraid to send me a letter."

After a few hugs were exchanged from the group, the ruling sisters flew back to Canterlot Castle. When they arrived they immediately summoned their medical staff and left the purple unicorn they had in their charge after making sure that the nurses and doctors knew that the patient was to be kept secret. The few guards that had seen were sworn to secrecy as well. Now Princess Luna and Princess Celestia were by the clone's bedside. "Tia?" Luna asked gently. "What will you do if she has Sparkle's memories and believes herself the original?"

Her sister sighed softly, worry evident in her voice as she spoke. "I'm not sure. If she has any memories of living in Ponyville it could be heartbreaking. She may feel left out, and just being who she is may make her feel unimportant. As much as I would love her to already know what our Twilight knows, I am hoping that she is more of a blank slate. At least that way she can learn things on her own and become her own mare."

Luna nodded to herself. "So if she does become this blank slate, with no personal memories and only general knowledge, what would you do with her?"

Tia thought for a moment. "Well, I'd make sure that she saw her family first. She may be a copy of the original, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't be part of Twilight's family. I'll ask Twilight and her parents about it soon, after the coronation. Then I'd take her on as my student like her twin, seeing as her cutiemark is still magic." Tia smiled, making Luna smile as well. Her elder sister was always happy to talk about the potential of her young students, and thinking of a positive future for the clone was doing wonders for her, though now Tia had a look of consideration. "Unless...Luna would you like to be the mentor of this Twilight? This is the perfect opportunity."

Luna took a step back in surprise. "Are you sure sister? All my ways are...out of date still. There are few things I could teach better than you can." Her sister just smiled however.

"Then perhaps it would be a learning opportunity for you as well, dear sister. It may even get you to stop using your excessive spare time to attempt pranking me." Tia replied with a grin.

Luna huffed at this, but smiled. They could have taken the situation badly, but instead they were keeping a good mood. Luna looked towards the sleeping mare on the bed. Imagine...a student of my own... While the unicorn had no dreams, Luna could still glance at her mind. It was empty, almost lifeless. A mere shell with no mind of its own. Yet as Luna felt it, she could also feel changes taking place. A mind was taking shape there, and when it was done they would see who she would turn out to be. "I would love to take her as my student, sister." Luna said, looking back towards Tia. Her sister kept her smile and let out a soft yawn.

"Well I believe that I must sleep now. Watch over my dreams Lulu." Luna hugged her sister. "Of course sister, sleep well." Tia smiled and walked off to sleep. Luna summoned a cushion however, and sat by the bedside of her student to be, watching the mind slowly form as the night went on.

~Somewhere, on another world~

I groaned and sat up. The clock told me it was around 11 o'clock. Normally I'm an early morning person, but it was summertime. Without school I slowly slid towards a nocturnal lifestyle. I blame this on the lack of things to do in the summer. Now, before you say anything about that, know this. I live in the big valley Arizona has, in the city of Scottsdale. It gets REALLY hot down here, and I'd be dead if we didn't have AC. Any unshaded grass tends to die, and anything metal left in the sun becomes extremely hot. So, I stay inside and play video games. Lately I've been at Fallout 4, but recently I've been distracted from that.

I'm a heavy gamer, and I play a lot of different games. Usually I play stuff like Elder Scrolls and the Fallout series, though I also play First-Person Shooters and strategy games. Lately however, I've been bored. I've played all my games to the point where the process is now just a chore, so I've tried to move on to my second favorite hobby. Reading and writing stories. Especially reading. Have you ever seen the movie The Never Ending Story? Well a guy in the movie says that the book he has is dangerous because it puts you in the story, and it makes you feel the emotions in it. Well when I read the good books I can feel the emotions of the characters a bit. I lose myself in the story, and when I get to the end of the last chapter, it's like a jarring transition. I go from being on an amazing adventure in a spectacular world with the odds stacked against me to a boring world where I don't even know what month it is. Because I can't seem to find my local library I ran out of books a while ago, my modest personal library containing books I've re read a few times too many. So, in an attempt to keep my imagination going, I started writing my own stories. It was hard work however. While some could be passed as decent, some were so terribly written it made me gag. I kept all my works in a folder so that I could rewrite or continue any I felt in the mood for.

Now I got out of bed and ate some late cereal. It was just me and my sister, both my parents gone at work. As my little sister played on the computer I went outside to jump on our trampoline for a bit. It was really hot but I figured a few jumps were okay, and it helped me focus sometimes. In hindsight this was a terrible idea because springs had started popping off recently, but I felt that it was still stable enough. So imagine my surprise when heard springs popping after my last jump. I looked down and regretted trying a frontflip for fun, seeing that the side I was jumping on had lost all its springs, leaving nothing to stop my fall. As I fell towards the ground, I only had time to think one thought. I have made a terrible mistake. Then I hit the ground.

~Meanwhile, in Equestria~

The Twilight Sparkle clone lay on her bed. Her mind was formed, but it was empty. It needed something to give it life, memories, and personality. This Twilight Sparkle needed a soul. The magic that had created her body was at work, looking for a candidate to fill the body. It wasn't long before it found something, and latched onto it. If it was sentient it would have noticed how this soul seemed to be farther away from the rest of the potential candidates, but it wasn't. All the magic wanted was a soul that would fit perfectly in this body, and it found it. If any of the medical staff had looked upon the second Twilight at this moment, they would have noticed a faint glow coming from her. The magic filled the body with a soul, and after making sure the memories and personality had followed, dissipated with a job well done. After a while the clone frowned in her sleep, and started moving, waking up. She sat up in bed and groaned, holding her head. "Well at least I didn't die of head trauma." She said quietly to herself.

Author's Note:

Hello everypony, I hope you like the story. I know that the beginning could use a little work, but it's been a while and I really need to rewatch the old episodes and actually view everything past season 3. Anyways I may add a sex tag later for sexual jokes and innuendos and stuff, and please leave any suggestions you have towards making the story better. I'm open to criticism!

EDIT: Due to a suggestion in the comments, I removed the brony part of the character. Hope you enjoy!