• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 1,580 Views, 33 Comments

Course of Action - The Commandant



A single man will discover the deepest secrets his nation has kept from him, and will show the true nature of his government's actions, but at what cost?

  • ...
2
 33
 1,580

Prologue

January 17th, 2023
Canterlot, Equestria

BOOM!

She flinched as dust from the rafters fell around her like gentle rain.

We have been pushed back to our final stronghold, where we once thought we would be safe. Now, there are only streets soaked in the blood of our fellow ponies. The war we have fought long and hard in raged below us, now finally at our doorstep. Our defeat, as we realized too late, was inevitable if we kept fighting on. Our best option was to surrender without any more casualties, that way we would not have to clean up the ashes of our kingdom, and our culture as is.

It was bittersweet, the feeling of defeat, as the war ends, but we are not the victors.

BOOM!

She wobbled, as if she was on the verge of fainting. It was heartbreaking to just be there in the final minutes of the war, to be there when the full rain of defeat hits the few of us still left alive in the castle.

We will not survive this, even if the pieces of our once proud nation do not turn and crush us, it will most certainly be our enemy, and it will be most humiliating. How we were brought down by a bunch of aliens we only discovered a few years ago is beyond me, but it was happening, and it was now impossible to stop.

BOOM!

She looked no longer at the window, but to me. Her eyes… her magnificent eyes… said everything she felt. It was not fear, nor was it anger... It was sadness. It chilled me to my core. I knew it was over now, I no longer needed heavy rain to say so, only her.

She opened her mouth, but the words came slowly, not elegantly like before.

“I…am sorry,” she eventually said in a somber and slow tone.

“Please, Celestia. It wasn’t your fault…”

She only looked away, as if offended by my words… I nearly cried. Here stood the goddess of the Sun, the one who rose and set the celestial body everyday, and yet... the dust has reduced her to a walking corpse in the eyes of her little ponies. I, of course, did not think that. She is still the proud pony who has kept this great nation of ours prosperous for thousands of years, yet she won't believe me, because she thinks her ponies are right. She always has.

Most respect for our once great leader was lost when our forces could no longer hold Pegasus Bridge, the last intact bridge that lead to Canterlot. It was as if all motive to defend what was left was washed away by cannonade and hell fire. If there was motive in the ranks, it was fleeting and not in large supply; But my loyalties forever lie with Celestia, no matter what.

BOOM!

The walls and windows shook as several human aircraft flew around the Canterlot Mountains, looking for targets in the air and on the ground. A human airship hovered close to the besieged city, providing support for its ground troops.

“... What…what of the sample?”

She was looking at me again, though not in the same manner as before.

“The… It was destroyed by human artillery, your highness.”

“... Are you sure, Captain?”

“I was told by a soldier who was there. I’m sorry, your highness, it’s gone.”

She was silent for a moment, strewn into deep thought. Then, a glimmer of hope shone in her eyes.

“Then it is done. Twilight must be notified. She can fix this.”

She seemed more optimistic now, but still brandished the face of defeat.

“I… I thought it wouldn’t work…”

“It is only an ancient alchemy, brewed long before I or my sister were born. Twilight has the recipe, we only need one test to confirm it, and once we do…”

“We can end this…for good.”

Suddenly, a low rumble emitted from the throne door, followed immediately by sharp, reverberating cracks that echoed throughout the castle.

“Captain…they’re here,” she said, her voice forever echoing in my skull, chills were sent up and down my entire spine.

I knew they weren’t here for keeps. They will see to it that no one in this castle survives, especially her.

“Princess, you need to leave! We can cover your escape!”

“No, Captain…you must leave. Fate…has other plans for me…you must tell Twilight to conduct the test, or the humans will remain uncontested forever.”

The screams from the main hall echoed like ghosts in the wind, followed by heavy footsteps. At one point, just outside the door, a guard pleaded for mercy from the humans planning to enter the throne room, but received none. The guard screamed in agony as a loud roar erupted outside, though it was not a gun that ended him.

“But… Celestia! You are the most important pony here! Leave us here, and we shall fight for—wait…are they leaving?”

The human voices outside the door slowly, but surely moved away, and eventually were no longer heard through the door. It was as if they did not know we were in here.

“What the…” She stuttered, trying to speculate the reason for their retreat.

Though, when I glanced back at the window, a sudden flood of shock and horror struck me as I stared wide-eyed at the human airship floating only a quarter mile away from us, its massive guns aimed at the castle we were in.

“The anti-aircraft guns... they've... oh no..." I was too shocked. "Uh…uh… Celestia…?”

She only turned towards me, but in doing so saw the massive airship, and she shared the same expression as me. As we seemingly sat there for hours, trying to grasp the gravity of the situation, a static noise was heard all throughout Canterlot.

“Your attention, Princess Celestia. It is over. We know where you are, and are prepared to end it all right now. This is your only warning,” the human bellowed, his voice echoing from the speaker. “We only ask for your surrender for the sake of the civilians trapped here, as well as your men. Do so now, and we'll spare you from anymore conflict! Please!

Even if we considered it, how would we respond? This was not a demand, this was blatant mockery, we were going to die here no matter what.

The words came from Celestia just like the bullets about to destroy us.

“So be it,” she said, having already accepted death. “Shining Armor…it has been an honor.”

I could not respond, as the guns had already opened fire, the cannon rounds so massive I could see them flying right towards us. Never in my entire life was I more scared than I was at this moment...

I closed my eyes the instant the guns fired, and I only thought of Cadence…

I’m sorry…please forgive me...

BOOOM!

Author's Note:

I did it, jollygoodfellow.