• Published 23rd Jul 2016
  • 1,348 Views, 68 Comments

Lost Among The Stars - PostPony



Twilight opens a portal in an effort to find a city that vanished long ago but finds herself stranded on Earth amidst the ponies she was searching for. Her hope now lies in the fledgling space industries of Earth to cross the stars and return home.

  • ...
2
 68
 1,348

2 - Wake Up

---Spark Eclipse---

While the emergency room a few doors down was a flurry of activity, this particular room was much calmer. I just had the recent events explained to me by the two young mares. I read the public information provided by my AR glasses while examining them for myself. Frosty, the pegasus who was sitting beside Berry on the hospital bed human style, was a light blue color with a solid light grey mane and tail with eyes that really did look like ice in spite of the warmth in them. She was a highschool student in her junior year that fell into the category of ponies that want to be more like humans. She had no mark. Berry on the other hoof was a dark purple unicorn with a black mane and tail, with bright yellow eyes. Her mark was an upwards facing yellow arrow that had a curved line that seemed to be pushed upwards by the arrow. Perhaps her skill was in her TK strength. That explains how she was able to lift the statue, not to mention work at the post office.

“So you are certain that there was no one around before the event?” I asked the smaller ponies once more, who each nodded in response. Berry was looking at me in intimidated reverence while Frosty was relaxed if not “Right, anyway, I sent a message asking someone to check on the duplex home you both live in. They have reported that your home… homes and families are fine. You two are free to go. I would like you to be back in a few days when they let the purple mare wake up. I imagine she would want to meet those who rescued her. I’ll also have something special for the two of you. Sound good?”

“...Sure. Works for me,” Berry said and Frosty nodded in agreement. She began to walk out of the room, but Frosty was unresponsive until Berry started pulling on her ear. Soon I was alone. I decided to head to the room the mystery pony was being held in. After a quick walk down the sterile white halls lit with calm yellow lighting. I sent my authorization to the hospital’s security servers and entered a moment later after the door slid out of the way.

Upon entry, I discovered that the bustle had calmed considerably. There were humans and ponies in equal numbers performing their duties. I could hear the steady beat of the heart monitor and see that the overhead light above the operating table where the purple mare slept was off and the telesurgeon units were stowed against the wall.

“James?” One of the humans fully dressed in the light green uniform turned to the face me. The dark man smiled when he saw me. “You have a minute to spare?” I inquired.

The human turned to the pony next to him, said something, and strode over to me. As he entered the half of the room that I was in, I saw the normally invisible pathogen shield light up where it touched him as he walked through it. In a moment he was through the magical barrier and pulled the hood of his suit back and the breathing mask down. Going from a view of blue eyes and dark skin to a head of brown hair and a well trimmed beard of a slightly lighter shade.

“Anything I can do for you, sir?” James asked once he stood face to face me. Well, face to chin. He was taller than the average human, yet I was taller still.

Some of my mood drained at that word. “You know I don’t like it when you call me that.”

James smiled, “You don’t like it when anyone shows you any respect anyway.”

“No,” I insisted, “I don’t like formality. It creates social schisms around that can create mental instability. That path lies insanity for a pony that doesn’t die.”

James relented. “Okay okay, you win. So, obligatory small talk accomplished, what do you need?”

“I want to know about that mare,” I stated plainly, “Start with whatever you want.”

“Right,” James appeared to briefly recollected everything he knew. “Well, I can tell you that she’s stable in spite of the horrific blood loss. Her blood type is A positive by the way. Whatever happened inflicted severe blunt trauma throughout her body. We had to repair her lungs and sternum after setting everything back into place. Fortunately nothing else vital was damaged. Her legs are all mangled though, but if she can be measured against you, they may heal after a couple years. A respiratory blockage around her sinuses had to be cleared and the bone fragments have been set, but one of her eyes are out of commision until we can grow one for her.”

I nodded in contemplation. “Anything special about her? Apart from somehow being another hybrid like me?”

“Yes actually.” James replied. “I don’t have her DNA profile yet, but I can tell you that she’s not related to you. All of your descendants have kept your eye color of dark orange, except her eyes are purple, well, eye. Anyway, we found that the connections from her carbuncle to her horn are even larger and more well developed than yours, even though her carbuncle is smaller and doesn’t seem to be capable of stimulating such a result, and it seemed to have faced a lot more strain than expected. We don’t know what to make of that.”

I used my AR headset to send a general request for the DNA profile when it was available.

Meanwhile James brought another point up. “There is an issue though. If we leave her legs as they are, she will face a couple of long and painful years as a cripple. Someone needs to decide within a few hours if we should have them am-” James was cut off when a unicorn approached me with a page tablet and gave it to gave it over to me with her magic. We exchanged nods and the smaller pony went back to what she was doing.

I looked at the DNA profile I had just received and read its report. It took me only a couple seconds to realize that the pony that the staff and myself shared the room with was a very different pony then most. I used his headset to mark the document as classified. Immediately the page tablet blanked out with ACCESS DENIED written across its center. I had it exit the document and set it on an empty table next to some chairs in the corner of the room.

I took a breath. I hated doing this without her permission, but the decision had to be made. “I am declaring her a ward of the state. She is to be elevated to emergency high level treatment. I am going to sign off on the temporary limb replacement myself along with anything else that can make her more functional. I want to be able to talk to her as soon as possible. And James.”

James, who was about to set off to do his job, hesitated. “Yes?”

“Give her the room with the best view of the Pacific. I want to make this as comfortable for her as I can.” I stated, already planning out the next several days.

A little bit of mischief entered the eyes of James as he continued on. “Aye aye, sir!”

In response, I grabbed the page tablet with my telekinesis, rolled it up, and smacked the back of James’ head before he could retreat much further. The other staff that were paying attention attempted to hide their laughter at the treatment of their boss with low success rates.


Two Days Later…

---Twilight Sparkle---

Words were pushing their way into my consciousness. Words I didn't understand. I tried to rouse myself but couldn’t move my legs or open her eyes. I felt so weak. The experience of waking up this time was entirely unique for me, but not for long, because sleep once again claimed claimed me.


It was dark, but regardless I could hear a faint but irritating noise that would not leave me alone. I had managed to push me left eye open as consciousness returned for real this time. I attempted to get up but my body was still quite unresponsive which was very odd. I attempted to survey my room, but quickly realized that I was not in my own room in her castle. I tried to speak but my throat was as dry as salt. I did her best to wet it down and tried again.

“Hello?

It was when the irritating sound stopped that I recognized it in the first place. Quiet snoring. There was shuffling from behind me and then quiet hoof steps circling around to where I was looking. The first thing I saw was a dim white glow, then a mane and the head that went with it. Already I had some clues as to what I was facing, still completely unable to move. The pony also had some sort of device with a clear window curving in front of his head and over his eyes.

“Hello, it appears mine suspicions righteousness, eh. is righteous. Old words are stiff. Who art thou if thine may know?” The huge stallion said to me.

I swallowed nothing in an attempt to calm my nerves. The behemoth of a Stallion was new and unexpected. If he was any threat at all, the sheer fact that I couldn’t move made him dangerous indeed. “Twilight… S-sparkle.”

“Ah, name of interest… stop. Thine can see that thou hath feelings of tremors and fears. Thou shant want muscles to feel panic or the breaking of down. It is waste time and make it harder to make self into safety even if already are.”

The words actually helped me. Having the massive pony basically tell me to calm down made him seem much less threatening. So I forced myself to focus on breathing while a part of me wanted to find a grammar book to do violent things with, or at least teach grammar with. “Who…”

“Strength your save. Name is Spark Eclipse. Can see that bad words make you unhappy. I try to relearn language from you. Is alright?” The stallion gave me a comforting smile.

I had so many questions, if only I could get them out through my dry throat. “Water.”

“Hmm? Oh, very sorry! They said do water first. Forgot.” The stallion searched the room for a second before levitating over some sort of cup shaped container. I couldn’t tell what it was made of, but it had transparent sides and some sort of transparent straw.

A second later I was feeling much better, but my right eye still wouldn’t open and my legs were still numb. “Um, where am I?”

“Hospital,” the Spark quickly informed me, “better question is what you remember?”

A moment of introspection gave fuzzy memories so I attempted to talk through them. “A friend.. had a journal passed on to her, and she showed it to me. It told of a city that disappeared. I asked the princess for support in finding it. It took a few days, but we had a way to follow. We performed the experiment and I went first. And then… I don’t know.”

Spark nodded sagely in contemplation. “I not did know anypony knew of leaving. Thought we were forgotten after so long. It seems I wrong. I do say, you almost dead when came, caused very much damage. But we have way of making better. You may be in shock soon, but I have been in worse. If you like me, you will heal perfect after time.”

“If I am… like you? How?” I asked, not understanding how he meant it. I saw him smile from the light from his mane and slowly the lights turned on even though I did not see him use magic. It was then that I saw what he meant. In hindsight it was obvious, considering the flowing, luminous mane. Not to mention the wings. “You’re an alicorn?”

He tilted his head at the name. “Alicorn? Is not that what horn is made of?”

“No, well, that used to be the meaning a long time ago. After the princesses ascended, they took up the name. I don’t know the story. Sorry.” I informed him. On impulse, I tried to look down at the rest of my body. My head shifted but not enough to accomplish anything. A drop of fear began to spread. “Um, Mr. Spark, what’s wrong with my body?”

Upon hearing the worry in my voice, Spark Eclipse changed from casual conversation to ‘delivering the bad news and walking on eggshells’ mode. “Sternum, all leg, all need to be… to be… uh, replaced by machine that act like flesh. Eye can be just replace in few day. Body will still work but you different until regrow. What you say you see for self?” I was scared at seeing what was wrong with me but I knew it had to be done.

Using his magic, he grabbed a wide mirror that had been sitting on a table in the room outside of my vision. He lifted it and set it in front of me. My one eye went wide at the sight surrounded by an orange glow, matching his eyes. My right eye looked as if it had been sewn shut even though I couldn’t see any stitches.

Sparks words interrupted my analysis of my face. “Like I said, you heal over time. New eye be put in days. Will look, feel the same as old and you asleep when happens. Perfect fine. Legs need grow on own and that take times.”

I struggled with that statement for a bit, but relented and nodded. You couldn’t hide from your own body after all. The mirror shifted and another orange glow gripped the sheets and pulled them down. My good eye rapidly snapped from point to point, taking in as much as it could. My legs and chest told a worse story than my face did. Bronze plated surfaces imitated the musculature of the parts they replaced, but I could still see the black fabric like stuff in the spaces. It was especially disconcerting to see the gaps in my joints. I could see the white bed sheets through them. My hooves looked complicated, but the reason and purpose eluded me.

“I have control to make body work, no, make it ready. Need learn again walk because not same. You say ‘legs on’ and you feel and learn move. You say ‘legs off’ if need break or bad thing happen. Is rare but have if need.” He explained as best he could in spite of the language problem.

I was taken aback. Even with the most complicated and powerful spells, not even Celestia had such control as he said he had. Before I could formulate a useful question, he continued.

“I will turn on legs now. I say against doing with legs. You need rest. Lost so much blood when arrived and maybe there still bad parts that need healing beyond what can fix. Very strong ponies die from less. Those who don’t, wake up never again. You sleep only two days. Very fast to wake.” Spark said, leaning down to be more on eye level with me.

A feeling of moisture filled my eyes. I was partly mollified by the morbid discoveries, but the absence of my friends had returned to the forefront of my mind. I wasn’t sure if I could go on without them. “I… you tell me of amazing things, but right now I just want to go home.” I could feel moisture penetrating my fur in a path extending over and around my muzzle

“Just know,” Spark said as he spread his great wing across my body, hiding my legs and body from view and discarding the mirror, “that the fastest way home is to heal first. You can’t do step two before do step one. Okay? Sleep some. When feel up to it, you can try. I leave you alone now, but first-”

I felt a shock as sensations rushed out of my legs. My limbs felt heavy yet strong, but also completely alien.

“I leave what to do up to you. In morning I will come back with some ponies I think should you meet. But sleep now well. Heal is most important.” The alicorn stood up and exited the room while pushing the blanket back onto my body. The sensations from my legs vanished once more. “Good night.”

The lights dimmed to darkness except for a few small lights close to the floor, rendering the room to be not entirely dark. I might have protested, but I found that I didn’t have the will. A few extra tears escaped before I succumbed to my dwindling energy and slept.

---Spark Eclipse---

I had just left the recovery room and was riding the elevator down. My calming facade had collapsed. I have had many families over the past millennia and a third and I have met many ponies, but rarely have I ever met a pony with so many fresh wounds on her soul. She was lost to never be found, brutally wounded, thrust into a world she didn’t understand with nobody to turn to. I was somewhat reminded of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land but hopefully this situation would not turn out to involve any cannibalism.

Regardless, I resolved to help Twilight put her life back together. I’ve already had enough failures and mistakes to remember. I felt no need to add to the count quite yet.