• Published 10th Jan 2017
  • 1,776 Views, 16 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: Shadow of Ronin - MyEcho4



Seven years have passed since Balance of the Heart. Now the team must reunite to stop and ancient evil and save the day once again

  • ...
11
 16
 1,776

Reflections

"Do you really have to leave, Elder?" a young Nova asked, his ears lowered back in sadness.

The older unicorn placed a hoof on his shoulder. "I'll only be gone for a few weeks, Nova. The Alicorns believe they have a solution that can finally out an end to this pointless war."

"But-but why me? Couldn't you have anyone else to watch over the village with Midnight?"

"You are my most talented apprentice, Nova. I have complete faith in you."

"So do I."

A feminine voice was heard from behind. A beautiful female unicorn with a sea blue coat, long waving midnight blue hair that resembled soft waves, and a cutie mark consisting of a fleur de lys flower. She approached Nova, nuzzling his cheek affectionately. "Besides, I'll be right there with you in case you ever get nervous."

Nova blushed, chuckling. "I-I don't get nervous, what gave you that idea?"

The Elder hugged the female unicorn, a single tear rolling from his eye. "Take care, my daughter."

"I will, daddy. I love you."

"And I love you." The Elder hugged Nova next. The male unicorn felt like he was saying farewell to his father all over again. The two watched sadly as the sorcerer left the village and into the world of Equestria.

At first, all was peaceful, until the sounds of screaming children caused the hairs on Nova's fur to stand on end. He and Midnight rushed from the library, having been practicing on new spells, only to see the horror that was the Canterlot royal army on a merciless killing spree.

"Kill them all! Don't let them escape!"

Nova leaped into action alongside Midnight, fighting the guards and defending the innocent. Sadly, one of the unicorn guards proved to be much stronger physically and knocked Nova down. He hit his head and was thrown down into the river down bellow.

When he awoke, the screaming had died down. He sprung awake and rushed towards the village, ignoring the injury on his left hoof. His heart stopped, his body burning and his sight became blurry due to the tears. Everything in the village was completely destroyed. The houses, the library, the shops, everything. Millions of lives laid on the ground, blood spilling from all corners of their pony bodies. Several guards laid in the piles as well. A flag stood partly crocked in the middle of the wreckage.

A flag that had the symbol of the Knights of Hans. But, there was nopony else in sight. Nova's heart sank even further when he saw Midnight laying on the ground. Dirt and dried blood tarnished her beauty. Her eyes closed, her mouth opened ajar. He held her close, desperately calling out her name. She never replied. She didn't move, or breath.

The Elder returned, his eyes frozen in place. Nova tried desperately to explain what happened, feeling immense regret. He didn't say anything, but held his daughter in his arms. He never yelled at Nova, nor did he show any resentment towards him, but shared in his sadness.

Not long after that, the Elder left again. This time, he did not say a word as to where he was going. And Nova didn't care that he didn't know. He knew it was his responsibility to watch his people, to protect his friends and family…he had failed.

It was then, when his shadow grew into a creature of its own will.

……………

High up on a tree sat the blue anthro unicorn, his head resting on his legs. His heart was full of sorrow and guilt for what he had done. He never meant to hurt Mako or put everyone's lives at risk. He didn't even know Ronin was under their noses this entire time. Nova wiped the tear that escaped his eye with the back of his wrist. Flash was right, it would be best if he stayed away from everyone. There was no telling what he could do to them. He heard his wisp friend float up beside him. The little spirit creature softly tapped his shoulder.

"Come on, bro. Cheer up." she said, ruffling his hair a bit, to which he showed no reaction. She tapped her chin, trying to think of another way to cheer him up. She smiled once she got an idea. She flew in front of him, “Hey Nooova!’ she called. She turned around for a quick second, the sound of stretching could be heard before she turned around and showed him her face now her eyes, ears, nose, and mouth in different places. “I’m Poncasso!” She smiled, hoping he would smile as well. Nothing. Her arms dropped to her sides and her smile turned into a frown. She grabbed her face and stretched it out before letting it retract, returning to normal.

“Hmmm.” She then snapped her fingers. “Knock Knock..who’s there?” she whispered.

“Chi.” she made her voice lower to mimic Nova's.

Chi who?”

“Chi..I forgot!” the wisp laughed and fell on the ground in a fit of laughter. She looked up hoping to see him laughing but the sorcerer didn’t move. That was his favorite joke. She was running out of ideas.

“Uhhhhhh. Oh! Hey look!” She took in a deep breath and blew into her thumb. Suddenly, her head began to grow bigger and bigger until it was the size of her own body.

“You did always say I was an...airhead!” She said, putting on a big smile. Nova just simply looked up and turned to side. Chi frowned as her head deflated like a balloon and returned to its original size. She began to bite her nails vigorously. She tried hitting herself with a pie, and licked it off like a dog. Still nothing. She stretched her arms out and formed different shapes and animals. She tried juggling, she morphed her hands together to create an accordion, and played a song while doing a funny dance. Absolutely nothing.

“So much for those accordion lessons.” she muttered as her hand returned to normal. She even tried to morph into a different attire and did a cute little tap dance. She did backflips and somersaults. She twirled her stick and hat and finally skidded to a halt in front of him.

“Ta-da!” she exclaimed. Completely out of breath, a big smile on her face but it quickly morphed into one of sadness. Not even that cheered him up. Her aura changed into a dull grey as she morphed into her fox form and went to sit on Nova’s lap. He looked down to see her whimpering and decided to stroke her fur.

“Please don't be sad, Nova.” said Chi. “None of this is your fault.” The sorcerer looked into her eyes. The color matching his own.

"I'm sorry, sis." Nova patted her head, managing a small smile. "I know you're trying to help. But, it's no use. They're right…I'm a monster."

"You're not a monster!" Chi exclaimed, changing back into her human form. "Nova Nightshade, you are a lot of things. Stubborn, hot-tempered, impatient and bossy, but you're also brave, smart and I know you'd jump over rapid waters for me!"

"Yeah, and every time I try to be the hero it backfires. When I was left in charge of the village I failed on my first try. When I tried to get rid of my pain, I created a monster and endangered more lives. And now, I almost killed a man! I almost took away a little girl's father!" Nova's voice grew higher before stopping. He sighed and looked away. "No wonder Madam Alpha knew I wasn't the one. All I was good at was being a messenger and a tour guide for the real heroes. Heroes who…sure, have made a lot of stupid mistakes…and yet, they're the most beloved people and ponies around. While me…all I've ever done was make things worse."

Chi wrapped her arms around her brother. "Nova, you can't keep blaming yourself for any of that. I know you hate letting people down, but you have to realize you can't do everything on your own. Maybe, if you tried putting your faith in something other than your skills, maybe you can find the hero you're really meant to be."

Those words dug deep into his heart. Even after all this, she still loved him. She had plenty of reasons to be mad or even afraid, but all she showed was love and compassion. Something that he would last expect.

(Looking for a hero, by Lauren Waterworth from Friends and Heroes)

Chi:

Ancient words, across an ocean of time

Written in the stone, out of flesh and bone

Echoing through history

Battles that were fought

Heroes who have been adored

Oh, sometimes it's not about the prize

When you and your darkest fears are standing eye to eye

And you're looking for a hero, to carry you away

Riding on the wings of angels

Someone to save the day

From the mountains to the desert

You can search your whole life through

Until you realize the hero

Was always there with you

She flew up in the air and morphed into a projector screen showing all what Nova did good, some with the team and even some even before he met Team Avatar Harmony

Standing tall, in the eye of a storm

Really takes someone, unlike anyone

To find the strength

And give more than you have

Something deep inside

Something even more than pride

Behind you there’s no open door

But they can show you where to find

What you’re searching for

Chi morphed back to normal, dancing around her friend, her dress spinning around to her movement as the leafs of the trees fell gracefully and the rays of the sun created a spotlight around her.

If you’re looking for a hero

To carry you away

Riding on the wings of angels

Someone to save the day!

From the mountains to the desert

You can search your whole life through

Until you realize the hero

Was always there with you

She flew down to Nova and gently held his hand while cupping his cheek and gently moving his face to look at her.

The difference between defeat and victory

Is someone who says “I know I can”

That’s what heroes do

As Chi hit the high note, demonstrating just how beautiful her voice was, slowly but surely a small smile began to form on the unicorn's face. Chi noticed this and smiled as well. Meanwhile, someone else heard that voice and ran towards the source.

And if you’re looking for a hero

To carry you away

Riding on the wings of angels

Someone to save the day

From the mountains to the desert

You can search your whole life through

Until you realize the hero

Was always there with you

Nova hugged the wisp in return, feeling a lot better. His regret still lingered, but Chi's motivation had indeed done its job. The two heard grunting coming from the side of the tree and saw Sunset Shimmer climbing upwards. She sat on the branch beside the adopted siblings.

"How did you find us?" Nova asked.

"I just followed Chi's voice. You have amazing pipes." she said, winking at the wisp.

Chi's entire body turned a bright pink, placing her hands on her cheeks bashfully, "Oh stop, that's the first time anyone aside from Nova has complimented my singing."

"Are the others with you?" Nova asked, somewhat bitterly,

Sunset shook her head. "No. Just me. I wanted to explain. What Flash said, he was just--"

"Angry." Nova finished for her. "It's okay, I get it. I almost killed his friend. I would have snapped too."

"Nova--"

"Look, I don't blame you or any of the others for not wanting anything to do with me now. I've done my part, I've gotten you all this far, and you heard Ma, I'm not the one who can break the sword." he looked away sadly. "You guys don't need me."

"Maybe not." Sunset said, catching both Nova and Chi by surprise. "Maybe we don't need you helping us to look for the sword, and maybe we don't need you around."

Chi blinked, "Are you trying to be supportive? Because it's sounding more like the opposite."

Sunset chuckled lightly, "What I mean is, maybe we don't need another member on our team…but, that doesn't mean you still can't be a part of it." Nova looked at her in confusion. "I mean, nothing is stopping me from just packing up and leaving these guys. But, I chose to stay, and they chose to have me. What I'm trying to say, Nova, it's that you don't have to feel like you have to do something to prove you can be our friend. Iris and Akari became your friends because they wanted to, not because they had to. And, I chose to be your friend because I want to be."

Nova's eyes widened upon hearing this. "You do?"

"Of course. I know everybody else gave you the wrong message, but you have to understand they've been under a lot of stress. People make mistakes when they're stressed and scared. They don't hate you."

"They have a funny way of showing it." he muttered bitterly. "And why shouldn't they hate me? I came off all high and mighty, criticizing them about their mistakes when the entire time I've been jealous. Jealous of their success and lives, while all I've ever done was make matters worse. I thought I could finally change my past by breaking the sword and stopping Ronin, but I can't." Sunset placed a hand on his shoulder, and he felt his cheeks burn upon her touch.

"I don't think fixing the past is what you need." she said, "What you need is to stop trying to solve your problems all by yourself."

"Finally! That's what I said!" Chi said, "See, Nova? This is why you should learn to listen to me more."

Sunset scooted closer, wrapping her full arm around Nova, and comforting him. "She's right, you know. All your life you've been carrying that guilt, but also trying to solve your problems your own way. Sometimes, putting down your walls and letting others really help you is a greater example of strength than facing your own demons yourself. I know I never would have learned to overcome mine by myself. And don't worry about the others. They may be shocked now, but if there is any group that's going to forgive you for what you did in the past, believe me, it's this one."

"You really think that they could ever be friends with a monster like me?"

"You wouldn't be the first."

Nova genuinely smiled and Chi nodded her head. She floated and sat beside Sunset Shimmer. The wisp's liking towards the unicorn had only grown stronger. Something about this pony just intrigued her.

"Will you come back?" Sunset asked. "I promise, everything will be better."

"Can we, Nova?" Chi pleaded, "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?" she gave him the big puppy eyes. Nova's one and only weakness. It especially didn't help that Sunset was doing the exact same face.

The unicorn sighed, chuckling. "Okay, okay! We'll stick around."

"Sweet!" Chi wrapped her arms tightly around Nova's neck, smiling widely.

Sunset sighed in relief before leaping down from the tree and landing in a crouching position. "Come on. We've got a sword to find.

Nova looked on as Sunset took the lead. His smile never once faltered. With each moment that passed, this unicorn just seemed to make him feel emotions he never thought he could ever feel again. And, for once, he didn't mind. He noticed Chi's smug grin and he arched an eyebrow.

"What?"

“I knew it!”

“Knew what?”

“You like Sunset Shimmer!"

“Wh-What?!” He exclaimed as he tried to cover his face for it was turning red. “Don't be ridiculous.”

“The wisp doesn't lie!”

“You're just seeing things..”

“Bro, I’ve been with you for centuries, and I have never seen you smile like that, or seen your face that red. Ever.” She said as she placed her hands on her hips. “I'm not complaining, she's awesome!"

"Oh, what, you're playing matchmaker now?"

"Come on, it's so clear. She's tons of fun and you're no fun at all. She completes you!" she said, forming her hands into a heart.

Nova rolled his eyes, shaking his head, and leaped down from the tree. "You're crazy." he said once he leaped. Once he landed, a flash of light appeared, where Chi had just taken on the form of Sunset Shimmer

Nova and Sunset sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-Hey!” he didn't get to finish her little song for she was then sucked into Nova’s cutie mark. The sorcerer shook his head and chuckled.

“Sisters…”

"Not cool, man!" she said, her head popping out from his mark, only for him to shove it back inside.

“What would I do without you?”

(~)