• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 5,253 Views, 196 Comments

You Can Lead a Horse to Water... - SoothingCoffee



Bad things happen. It's a fact that Trixie has accepted. A bitter fact, true, but a fact nonetheless. But transported into another world out of the blue might seem a bit too much, she thinks.

  • ...
13
 196
 5,253

But She Still Could Get Lost

The first of many impressions Trixie got from meeting Scarron was, wow, he’s huge, trailed by a pondering thought if he was secretly a minotaur. Sadly, that was not to be. For all the similarities between these… bipeds had to the minotaurs back in Equestria, they didn’t have any fur, and settled with skin alongside splotches of hair instead. The second after her first impression, Trixie decided that Scarron would make a rather queer-looking minotaur, and a moment of looking over Scarron later, Trixie thought she puked a little inside.

Overly tight clothes which covered so little, and showed too much -- a trend Trixie was beginning to noticing in this inn -- and a set of thick make-up that pounced at you like a robbed Gryphon in one drunk night. Hairy chest, legs, arms, and a tight belly which severely contrasted against his purple tank top, and mini short pants.

Trixie never fathomed herself as a fashionista, or even at the least knowledgeable of these unknown beings, but she liked to think herself knowing what looked good, and what didn’t -- and she was certainly knowledgeable on the matter of minotaurs.

“Ulp,” Trixie’s ears drooped immediately, and she forced herself to take a seat. The room was a stark contrast compared to the ruckus of last night, absent of any noise as it was. The scent of drunkenness still lingered in the background, enough so that she wasn’t feeling sick. Off to the side,she spotted a few girls chatting together -- she recognized one of them from last night. The waiters, she supposed.

“Ah, bonjour mi mademoiselle!” Scarron sidled up to the table. Twirled, more like. He did a little filly-twirly curtsey that made Trixie cringe. A man of that muscle-size should not be doing that of all things. “You must be the guest that my little Jessica gushed about! Oh!” he said in thick Prench -- that was either fake, or outrageously exaggerated -- pressing his hand onto his chin. “But she didn’t tell me that you’re such an adorable girl!”

Trixie didn’t blush, neither did she pout, but she did shudder, and glare. “E-excuse you, but Trixie is not an adorable girl. She is a perfectly raised young adult!” she snapped. Not a complete lie, mainly because most young adults didn’t live on the road as a teenager.

Ah, Tres Bien!” the way Scarron’s eyes twinkled made Trixie shift slightly in her seat. It was bad enough that the seat itself was for bipeds, and not quadrupeds. “My dear, if you are looking for a part-time job, you will know that this Inn will always open!” at that, he promptly spread his arms open.

Trixie recalled the waiter’s uniform, and grimaced. “Trixie thinks never,” she shook her head, regarding the man more seriously. “You must be Scarron,”

Scarron hummed whimsically. “Oh yes! The one, and only Scarron -- the owner of this inn. It is a shame I could not greet you last night,” he sighed mournfully. “Perhaps I should’ve listened to my daughter more! Who knew she could make such powerful concoction, yes?”

Perhaps you should ignore her more, Trixie thought. Outwardly, she shrugged her shoulders. “Trixie supposes, but enough of this, she is in need for breakfast,”

“Oh! Tres bien,” Trixie could’ve sworn she saw his eyes glittered. “Tell me what you want, mi mademoiselle! It’s been long since I flexed my cooking muscle,” he winked, leaning slightly forward. “I should let you know, but I was the one who taught Jessica how to cook,”

Trixie promptly leaned slightly away from Scarron’s close proximity. He smelled of too much perfume. She cleared her throat. “Yes. Trixie wants for a cheese, and egg sandwich. And tea!” she added, hurriedly, she might say.

“Oh yes!” Scarron jumped. It was amazing how the floor didn’t buckle under him. “Anything else, my dear?”

Trixie cringed, opened her mouth to get the man back to the kitchen, then paused when a thought occurred to her. “Yes,” she blinked. “Actually. Trixie would like to know where she can purchase a wagon for a long travel,” she answered. “And of course, a map!”

Scarron grinned. “Of course! I know some people around here who would be willing to sell you a good wagon, my dear. And good maps, too! I will fill you in after I’m done cooking your breakfast,” with that said, Scarron turned around, and sauntered to the kitchen.

Trixie sagged into her chair, gazing up to the dimly lit ceiling. She didn’t have the time to ruminate it yesterday, but now that she was fresh, awake, and about to be served breakfast… the fact that she was kidnapped from a world away, something that Trixie was sure to be entirely unprecedented -- not that she would know -- frustrated her. Lost. A large hollow pang of sorrow, and despair. It wasn’t a feeling she often had. Perks of being a travelling show magician, Trixie supposed. She didn’t have a place she could call ‘home’, and thus she didn’t have to worry about being lost.

But now that she wasn’t in Equestria. Not even in the same planet of Equestria, and where the major population was these bipeds that were probably closely related to Minotaurs, but not close enough for her to be familiar…

Lost, Trixie decided, fit the entire scenario. “Curses,” she muttered, shuffling on her chair. “Trixie needs to stage a magic show,”

()_()_()

Tristania, Tristain’s Capital City, and in Louise’s completely unbiased opinion, the most beautiful city that ever had been. The architectural ingenuity of the Earth Mages who built this city. A sprawling mess of buildings; from the barely standing shacks, to symmetrical ones made through Earth magic, and opulent mansion. And above all of them, in the center of the city, lay the proud Royal Castle. Even from where she was, she could still see the towers poking out of the horizon.

Louise sighed, pleased at the sight, and turned to something less pleasant. Generally, her life. Specifically, her failure as a noble. Couldn’t cast a single successful spell, and one that did proved to be another failure. “What are we doing here, Professor Colbert?” she asked. “If you don’t mind me asking, that is,” she added quickly.

Here, to be specific, was the middle part of the city. Morning had turned to early afternoon during the journey here, and the merchants were already setting up shops on the side. Workers wandered around, either carrying objects from one spot to another, or whatever it was they were working. People filled the street, the well-off commoners, and the occasional nobles loitering about.

"Hm?” Professor Colbert glanced to her, and Louise held back a grimace at the dark circles around his eyes. It didn’t take a genius that it was her fault, somehow. “Ingredients, Miss Valliere,” he eventually answered.

“Oh,” Louise replied. “For the class?” she tentatively asked.

Colbert cracked a tired smile. It made him more animated. One thing to know about Professor Colbert was that he loved talking about his projects. “Some of them, yes. I am also going to pick up something I have been requesting, though I shouldn’t say much without degrading the surprise,” a twinkle entered his eyes. “I expect you will see in our next class,”

Louise blinked. Then blinked again. “Next class, Professor?”

Colbert stopped, then stared owlishly at her. “Oh. Oh. You thought,” he suddenly grimaced, before resuming his walk. Louise followed quietly. Despite the noise of the crowd, she could still feel the awkwardness in the air. Eventually, Colbert broke that relative not-quite silence. “We are not going to expel you, Miss Valliere. Never going to,”

“But I couldn’t cast any spell,” she responded bitterly.

“On the contrary, you did. Yesterday,” at that he winced. “Albeit, the result was a little unexpected,”

“It ran away, Professor.” she murmured, glaring at the cobbled street. “What sort of a Mage are you if your Familiar fled upon seeing you?”

Colbert responded with a shake of his head. “Nevertheless, you summoned something, Miss Valliere. You did the spell. Even so, the Academy wouldn’t expel you simply because you failed the Summoning. At worst, you would just be dropped to the First Year,”

Louise blinked, looking up. “What do you mean?”

“Well, for one, you’re a Valliere,”

It didn’t take much for Louise to figure what he meant, and when she did, she glowered. “So it’s just because of my Family,”

“Ah,” Colbert grimaced. “Though that plays a part, it’s not the only one. Mainly because, for two, you are obviously capable of doing magic, even if you are not capable of successfully casting a single spell,”

Louise sighed. “So?”

“So,” Colbert said, smiling. “You are a Mage, Miss Valliere. Perhaps not a good one, but that’s not a good enough reason for the Academy to expel you, especially when one considers your Family,”

Louise let that sink in for a moment. It made sense, she supposed. Her Mother was merciless, and she couldn’t even imagine what she would do them if the Academy expelled her. Even the thought made her shiver to the core. It still didn’t cure the fact that she was inept in magic, but it helped. A little. “I see,”

Colbert nodded. “Yes…” he trailed off. A worrying look of dawning realization on his face.

Louise shuffled. A sudden blade of nervousness stabbing her vein. “What is it?”

“But,” Colbert sighed. “It would be a different matter if your Family pulls you out of the Academy themselves,”

“Oh,” well, Louise could see that happening. A couple years studying here, and still no result beyond an admittedly good grasp of the theoreticals. She could see her Mother just thundering to the Headmaster, and demand to take her back home. In a way, Louise planned for it. Who knew, maybe she could convince Mother to send her to a monastery, and live in obscurity? It wasn’t like she make for a good noble in the first place, anyway.

Colbert shifted uncomfortably. He cleared his throat. “Indeed,” he finished lamely.

There was a long sobering silence.

Colbert shifted awkwardly. In the end, it was him who broke the silence, “Louise, a word of advice?”

Louise blinked, looking up. Mutely, she nodded. “Of course, Professor,”

The older of the two hummed. “Please don’t let magic define who you are. True, nobility comes with magic, but the opposite could not be the same. You may not be the best mage I have met--”

Louise snorted softly. “I believe that is a severe understatement,”

“Nevertheless,” Colbert smiled wryly. “What I am trying to say is, merely because you’ve failed in one aspect of Nobility, it does not mean you’ve failed in all of them. There are plenty of ways you could do to prove your own self,”

Louise looked down. A thoughtful silence descended on the both of them, and Colbert returned to the road.

A small smile gave away on her lips. Another way to prove her worth? Was there really? It was certainly a nice thought. “Perhaps I’ll keep that in mind, Professor,”

Colbert nodded. “All I could ask.” He stopped. Louise blinked as he looked up. “Now, it seems like we’ve arrived to our destination,”

()_()_()

The way to look for the shop was not one without difficulty. Specifically, it took Trixie more than an hour to find the place Scarron had recommended her to, and another hour to find the actual building. But for all of that made her grumpy, and cranky, Trixie liked to think that it was worth it.

“Unf.”

It was Love. There was no other way around it. True, it wasn’t like the love at the first sight she had the first time she met her first -- tragically deceased -- wagon, and it wasn’t as strong, but it was love all the same.

"So. Are you going to buy this one, or not?”

Trixie groaned, flipping herself to her back. The distance between the ceiling, and where she was lying wasn’t all that much compared to her last wagon -- perhaps even on the smaller side, but Trixie thought it was perfect. After a moment, she stood off the bed, and regarded the maker of the wagon.

Lucille was a large figure not unlike Scarron. But the man standing at the threshold of the wagon was noticeable older than the flamboyant man, and his muscles were far leaner, even if they're bigger on the arms department. His white-peppered hair looked barely cared for, and his beard nearly covered his entire lower-face.

"Trixie will purchase this one,” she stated confidently. A thrill of excitement ran in with elation. It wasn’t like she didn’t like this city, but it was a nice feeling knowing that you could bail anytime. An insurance of sort, so to speak. “She believes the furniture will be added as well?”

Lucille hummed, tapping a finger on his chin. After a moment, he shrugged. “Sure. I’ll add those in with a discount,” he paused, looking at her with raised brows. “But you sure you have enough money for this thing? S’not exactly cheap,” he pointed out.

Trixie sniffed. “Of course she does,” or rather, Trixie hoped she does. With an internal sigh, she pulled out her money pouch from her bag, and levitated it to the man. “Look for yourself,”

The old man stared at the floating pouch, then sighed. “Nobles these days,” he murmured, shaking his head, before plucking the pouch off the air. He grabbed a single coin. Blinked. “Huh. Not familiar with these before,” he noted aloud, cocking an eyebrow at her.

“Trixie is a foreigner from a faraway land,” she admitted. In ways more than one.

“Huh. Well, gold is gold, I suppose,” he shrugged. Humming something under his breath, the man looked inside the pouch for a long time. He broke it with a nod, “Half of these should be enough. How about it?” he stared at her.

Were Trixie back in Equestria, she would protest about being ripped off, and many complains thereabout. But Trixie wasn’t in Equestria anymore, was she? Half of her emergency saving, gone in almost two days. And she couldn’t even know if she was being swindled or not. It seemed like a waste, and...

Then she gave the wagon another look, and the answer came to her with hefty sigh. “Oh foo. Most definitely,”

The man grunted in acknowledgment. “Let’s get to the front first,” he tilted his head over his shoulder. “I could count the money there, and I shouldn’t leave the counter for so long.”

Trixie nodded, and followed behind the man, and into the shop proper. Lucille’s Workshop, the place was called. Inside was a cluttered cluster of all variation of craftsmanship -- from tiny trinkets, to a grandfather clock -- and the scent of wood prevailed within the air. It felt almost claustrophobic, with how small the room was, and how Lucille’s items were strewn about. Maze-like was the word, and it took some effort for her not to break her illusion by accident.

That would simply be embarrassing.

“Right then,” Lucille’s voice called to her as he sauntered over the back of the counter. Coins tinkled onto the wooden-surface as he tipped the pouch until there was a small mound on it. “How ‘bout this?”

Trixie eyed the mound of gold dubiously, before letting out a huff when she already knew the answer. “Of course,” Trixie swore, if she was getting ripped off…

“Yup. Okay then, here catch,”

Trixie caught the thrown pouch into her levitation with ease. She shot the man a look, before pocketing it into her bag.

“Huh.” A strange, unnerving look passed over Lucille’s eyes.

“What?” she snapped.

“I’ve never seen you touch anything, have I?”

Trixie froze. “Eh? T-Trixie does not know what you are talking about,” she dismissed, glaring up at his blue eyes. She was the first to look away. Trixie coughed. “A-anyway, when can Trixie retrieve her wagon?”

“It should be ready to go tomorrow,” Lucille answered, idly tapping the counter’s wooden surface. Tack. Tack. Tack. “I don’t have much to do today, so I can immediately go about fitting in your furniture,”

For a moment, Trixie half-considered offering him help to get the furniture in. She scrapped that idea immediately. “Trixie is fine with that,” she nodded. “Trixie will return tomorrow,”

“I’ll be waiting, then,” he said.

With that done, Trixie gave the man another nod. Looked away from his knowing gaze, and stepped outside of Lucille’s Workshop, and out into the cobbled-street. She relaxed, shuddering, and walked. What was her next plan, for now?

A map. She needed one. Maybe three. Preferably up-to-date, but she had done with worse, before. But yes, a map. Thankfully, Scarron was helpful enough to give her a place where she could buy one. Now, if only Trixie could figure out which part of Saint Street she was, and wherever the heck is Titania Street.

“Ungh!” Trixie expressed her frustration at her lack of literacy. She refused to stomp the ground, but it was a close thing. Instead, she glared at nothing in particular. “Add ‘finding a way to read’ into the ‘to do’ list,” she muttered.

She sighed, before she looked around. With a grumble, Trixie walked down the cobbled road. Scarron had told her that the map place was near Lucille’s Workshop, so it couldn’t be that hard to find, right? The city wasn’t as large as Canterlot, or confusing as Manehattan, and she had navigated herself there just fine. Beside, worst case scenario, she could always ask someone for help…

Trixie shook her head with a snort -- and yelped as a sudden weight hit her from her behind. “Ah!” her vision swung, and her eyes widened as she lost her balance -- the ground coming closer to her -- “Ow!” she shouted, groaning as she fell to the curb.

“Oh! I’m sorry, are you--”

Trixie swung her head around and glared. “You better be sorry! And don’t touch Trixie!”

Her assailant stopped, placating hands frozen in air. Then she suddenly dropped them. Under her cloak, Trixie spotted a pair of wide eyes.

Trixie broke the silence with a huff. “Watch yourself, next time,” she said as she pushed herself up to the ground. She brushed the dust away from herself, grumbling, as she scrutinized her assailant. For one, they were a ‘she’, of that Trixie was sure, if her voice and the pair of curves on her chest were any sign. She was also wearing a rather thorough brown cloak, somewhat hugging to her body.

It was only thanks to her height that she could see her blue eyes, and a fringe of her purple hair.

“Louise, is that you?”


Trixie blinked, cocking an eyebrow at the girl. “Who?”

“I, uh,” the girl stopped. After a moment, she shook her head. “Nevermind. You simply reminded me of someone,” she shifted. “Really reminded me of someone,”

The showmare raised an eyebrow. Inwardly, Trixie couldn’t help but feel an inkling of suspicion on what the girl meant. “Well, fine then. You should really watch where yourself going next time,” Trixie nodded, as if she had imparted a perfectly sensible advice. Turning around, she said, “Now, Trixie should go now--”

“Wait!”

Trixie stopped, turning her head over her shoulders. “What?” she asked, not bothering to hide her irritation.

She saw a sign of grimace from the girl’s face. “Can I follow you for a while?”

Trixie blinked, and then turned her body fully, and blinked again. “What? Why?” she shot the cloaked girl a look. “No!”

“Well, you look like you need the companion?” the girl tried.

“Trixie does not!” Trixie hotly replied.

A pause. “You don’t need any help at all?”

Trixie huffed, rolling her eyes. “Does Trixie looks like she needs help?”

“... yes?”

“Well, um,” that caught her a bit on the flat-foot, but the Unicorn recovered quickly. “You are obviously wrong, because Trixie does not need help!” the fact that she did, of course, went unsaid. It was a matter of principle, after all.

“Well, I would still follow you anyway,” the cloaked girl pointed out. Trixie caught a pair of narrowed eyes. “I’m just asking to be polite. Even if you say no, I’ll still try to follow you,”

Trixie narrowed her eyes. “You couldn’t,” she stated in a matter-of-fact tone. Illusion was her talent -- well, a part of her talent -- after all, and she had escaped from worse things.

“Maybe,” the cloaked girl considered. “But I will try, anyway, and undoubtedly it would be irritating,”

Well, the girl wasn’t wrong. Trixie had assumed that unlike Equestria, illusion magic wasn’t exactly common in here. And if the cloaked girl spotted her using illusion magic, well… “I’ll call the guards,” Trixie threatened.

It seemed to amuse the girl than anything else. “You can try,” the girl challenged. Bluffed. Or both?

Trixie grimaced. On one hoof, she did need help, but it was the principle of things. She had already said she didn’t need help, and backtracking on her own words would leave a bitter taste on herself. But on the other hoof, refusing would mean having a confident stalker -- and Trixie had learned long ago that confident people she had met had actual reasons for being confident.

Like one of those Nobles from Canterlot.

“Fine.” Trixie hissed through gritted teeth. With a growl, she whirled around, and stomped away.

“Oh goody!” she heard the girl say, stepping up just beside her. “So can I know your name?”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Her name is Trixie. Or just the Great and Powerful Trixie,”

“... right. I’ll just call you Trixie, then. Where are you going, if I may ask?”

“You may not,” Trixie murmured under her breath, before sighing in exasperation. May as well. “Trixie is looking for a map shop or vendor in Titania Street,”

“Well,” Trixie caught the girl tapping her own chin. “I don’t know about a map shop, but I do know that we’re walking the opposite way of Titania Street,”

Trixie stopped in her steps. Closed her eyes, sighed, and opened them again. Carefully, she turned around. “Thank you,” she grumbled. A thought occurred to her as she glanced to the girl by her side. “What’s your name, anyway? Calling you ‘the cloaked girl’ in her mind does get tiring,”

“Oh. It’s Henrietta. Just Henrietta,”

Author's Note:

Finally.