• Published 13th Jul 2016
  • 7,855 Views, 436 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Becomes a Changeling Queen, Book 2: Twilight Sparkle Defends Her Hive - bahatumay



Twilight Sparkle is now a changeling queen. At least, she's supposed to be.

  • ...
29
 436
 7,855

Chapter 6

Twilight decloaked and looked in mirror. She pursed her lips, and one of her fangs poked out. She grimaced, which only exposed it more. Shaking her head, she leaned in closer and examined her jawline. Her facial structure was changing, too. And it seemed like everything ached. Her nose, her ears, her horn; her everything.

But her physical appearance was among the least of her concerns. Stress was mounting up. Passing out assignments, watching her changelings, trying to learn and study about changeling culture and changeling magic (they didn't even write most of their spells down!) while at the same time going through all these changes; it just…

There was no way around it. She was overwhelmed. Sinking. Drowning. She had not been prepared for this.

And in this situation, there was only one thing to do.

And after singing a song about how unprepared she was for any of this, she slowly crept out of the hive.

* * *

A changeling on guard duty neared the next station. He landed lightly on the platform. “Sira, did you see…?”

“Twilight leaving?” Sira supplied. “I did.”

“Huh. Why?”

Sira shrugged. “Maybe she just needs to be alone for a while.”

“Well, nice as she is, I'm certainly not about to tell the queen she's wrong.”

Sira chuckled wryly. “That makes two of us, Beis.” She stood up and stretched. “See you in twenty minutes.”

* * *

Celestia awoke at midnight. This was most irregular. It took her a moment to figure out why, but when she did, her eyes snapped open.

Somepony had tripped one of her ward spells.

She sat up in bed, waiting. Feeling.

The intruder went right through Celestia’s protective wards.

Celestia bit her lip. On the bright side, this narrowed the list of possible intruders down to two ponies, possibly three or four at a stretch. On the not so bright side, if Luna or Twilight had felt the need to physically interrupt her sleep, there was indeed something very wrong.

It was Twilight, and she poked her head in. Seeing that Celestia was awake, she crept into the room and hopped up on Celestia's bed. She looked into Celestia's eyes, and Celestia was concerned to see that her eyes had taken a bit of a wild look in them.

“How do you do this?” Twilight whispered, pleading. “Stress is building up, and I'm going to go insane. I don't know what to do. How do you handle this?”

Celestia paused and thought for a moment. She tapped her chin and bit her lower lip before responding with a perfectly straight face. “Lots and lots of masturbation.”

Twilight stared dumbstruck for a good minute before Celestia couldn't keep a straight face anymore. She burst out laughing at Twilight's expression. “In all seriousness, that does nothing but mask the problem. And poorly, at that. I cannot recommend it.”

“So what is the problem?” Twilight asked, her cheeks still burning red at those unbidden, disturbing mental images of her mentor.

Celestia met her eyes. “You must never forget that you are a pony.”

“Yes…?”

“There are many things that a pony needs to be healthy. A pony needs to be loved. A pony needs to feel safe. A pony needs to feel accepted. And if you spread yourself too thin, you’re not going to feel any of that. You’re just going to feel stressed; and, when something bad happens, you’re just going to beat yourself up about it for not being better, and the cycle will continue. That’s not right. You're a pony. You deserve better.”

“So what do I do?”

“Take some time for yourself, do something you love to do. The hive will not crumble without your constant presence, I can assure you.” She grinned. “Once, when the stress was mounting in the weeks after my sister’s banishment, I disguised myself as a filly and started a food fight at an orphanage.”

Twilight stared again.

“This time I'm serious,” Celestia admitted. “It was fun and very stress-relieving. And I 'accidentally' submitted two orders to the kitchen and donated the extras there afterwards, so it wasn't entirely a bad thing,” she defended herself.

Twilight wasn't sure how to take this.

Thankfully, Celestia spoke again. “When was the last time you spent time with your friends?”

“Uh…” Twilight answered uncomfortably.

Celestia raised an eyebrow.

“I… can't remember,” Twilight confessed quietly.

“There's your first step,” Celestia said. “Take the day off tomorrow, and just spend some leisure time in Ponyville.” She grinned. “I think you'll find yourself back to normal in no time.”

“Thank you, Celestia.” Twilight turned to leave.

“You're not leaving this late, are you, Twilight?” Celestia held up a wing in invitation. “You're more than welcome to spend the night.”

Twilight grinned and scampered underneath Celestia's wing and rested against her barrel, just like she had as a filly.

* * *

Meanwhile, in another, much smaller room very far away, two ponies that looked identical were also sitting very close.

Trixie chewed her lower lip slowly. It was obvious that something was weighing on her mind.

Ponneka, wearing the guise of Trixie, leaned in and nuzzled her with the top of her head. “Is Trixie alright?”

“Trixie is thinking,” Trixie answered.

“About what?”

“Trixie wants to practice her magic,” Trixie explained, “but Trixie is conflicted.”

“I believe in you, Trixie,” Ponneka said comfortingly.

“Oh, it's not that,” Trixie said dismissively. “Trixie is a great and powerful illusionist. Even in her sleep, Trixie could perform tricks that will dazzle the mind and astound the senses!” She demonstrated by reaching behind Ponneka’s ear, retrieving a bit, and then smashing it between her hooves to reveal that it was now a long rose.

Ponneka took it and slid it behind her ear. She smiled at Trixie, and Trixie returned it.

Finally, Trixie blurted it out. “I want you.”

Ponneka’s heart raced. Could she...?

Trixie continued. “I want you up there with Trixie, on stage! Together! But… but Trixie has sworn to live by the code.”

Ponneka’s heart rate had returned to normal—it wasn't like a pony could love a changeling, anyway—but she was still intrigued. “What is the code?”

“A magician never reveals her secrets,” Trixie answered. “And, as fantastic as you are…”

“I'm not a magician.” Ponneka nodded. “So you can't practice your tricks.” She had never felt so wanted. This was such a foreign feeling. She rolled over, pressing their barrels together. “Unless you helped me become a magician, too.”

Trixie’s ears pricked. “You… you'd do that? For Trixie?”

Oh, the things Ponneka would do for Trixie could fill many books (which would then out of necessity would be censored out of public view). “I would,” Ponneka whispered. “I would take the oath. I would follow the code. I would just need a magician great and powerful enough to teach me.”

Trixie’s breath came faster. “Trixie needs to be able to trust you,” she said.

“You can trust me,” Ponneka insisted.

“Are you sure?” Trixie asked, staring deeply into Ponneka's eyes. “Promise me.”

“I swear on my egglayer,” Ponneka whispered.

Trixie sat back, relieved. “Good. Trixie will teach you everything she knows.” She lit her horn and retrieved a deck of cards. “We will start with something simple…”

* * *

Bright and early the next morning, Twilight (as her former alicorn self) walked forward, slowly, taking in the familiar sights, sounds, and smells. How long had she spent in the hive? Underground?

And how could she have possibly thought that that was a good idea?

Sleeping with Celestia had re-energized her; but seeing all these friendly faces made her feel truly alive again. She trotted through town, waving and smiling at all the ponies here. By the time she made it to Sweet Apple Acres, she was smiling widely. Ponyville was just so friendly.

Upon arrival at the orchard, she followed the sound of thumping. Soon, she found the source. “Applejack?” she called.

“Twilight!” Applejack rushed over to give her friend a hug. “It's been too long! What brings you ‘round these parts?”

“Oh, not much. I needed a break from the whole changeling thing, and I figured spending time with my friends was a great idea.”

Applejack chuckled even as she scratched the back of her neck. “Well, you might want to start elsewhere,” she said. “Today’s an applebucking day.”

But much to Applejack’s surprise, Twilight brightened. “Can I help?” she asked.

Applejack hesitated. “Well, I… I don’t see why not,” she finally said. “Let’s see your bucking.”

Twilight looked around and quickly found a tree target. She backed up and kicked.

A single apple fell, landing right on Twilight’s head. Twilight squeaked.

Applejack gasped. “Bark-tholomew! You be nice,” she scolded the tree.

Twilight cracked a smile (even as she rubbed at her head). Yes. This would do just fine.

* * *

Even though there were two ponies working, the planned swath was completed at about the same rate; both ponies were chatting and laughing too much to get much work done. They talked about everything from the latest adventure Apple Bloom had had (and the ensuing mess) to changelings and their strange habits (and their slimy mess. It was a very messy conversation).

Celestia was lowering the sun by the time the last apple fell into the basket.

Applejack wiped the sweat off her brow. “Well, if that ain't the most fun I've had in months, I don't know what was,” she said.

“Same here,” Twilight said.

Applejack motioned with her head towards the farmhouse. “You staying for dinner, or can your new changeling body even eat pony food?” She winced, as if realizing that that had probably been a bit uncalled for.

But Twilight was unoffended. And hungry. “I'd love to.”

* * *

Twilight arrived back at the hive, still wearing leaves in her coat from helping Applejack in her orchard. Her hooves were sore and her stomach almost overly full of both pony food and the familial love that permeated the orchard, but her smile nearly split her face.

I feel so good, she thought. Friendship is truly magic. And it has rejuvenating properties! Next time, I should visit Pinkie Pie and the baby Cakes. I really should consider…

Her thoughts trailed off. Why hadn’t she thought of that before? “Bruch!” she called.

* * *

Piquis hesitantly walked up the steps. It wasn’t that she wasn’t comfortable in a pony disguise—Chrysalis had thought her too weak to care for nymphs and had assigned her to harvest in between her pit cleaning assignments—but never before had she been here, and she certainly had never tried to call this much attention to herself.

Still, Twilight had asked, and she would do her best to fulfill the command of her queen. She pushed open the doors and walked inside. The harsh smell of antiseptic assailed her nostrils, and the bright unnatural lights made her slow to a stop. She almost wanted to flee. But she had been given an assignment, and she would fulfill it.

The nurse at the desk looked moderately frazzled, as Twilight had predicted. These smaller hospitals often struggled in more ways than one.

Which is why this plan had a greater chance of succeeding here over anywhere else. She stepped forward and cleared her throat. “Excuse me?”

“Oh, Hello!” the nurse said, nearly knocking over a large stack of paperwork. She caught it with her hooves and then looked up. “How can I help you?”

Piquis continued. “My name is Flower Petals, and I’m here about the foal position?”

The nurse paused. “The foal position?”

“Yes,” Piquis said, the lies coming easier. “There was a position in the newspaper, about a volunteer to help with the foals in the nursery?”

The nurse bit her lower lip. They needed help, that went without saying. And the higher-ups were always really bad at communicating with her. This sounded reasonable. “Certainly. Let me show you around.”

* * *

Piquis followed the nurse into the nursery. She opened the door and Piquis peeked inside. There were rows and rows of bassinets, and the single pony in there looked overwhelmed. She looked back.

The nurse from the desk tapped lightly on the floor to get her attention. “Softheart, this is Flower Petals. She's here for the volunteer foal position.”

Softheart frowned. “I didn't know that was a position.”

“Neither did I. They never tell us anything.”

Softheart scoffed. “Ain't that the truth.”

Piquis took this as a cue to begin her job. She neared the closest bassinet.

There lay a little foal. Seeing that there was a new pony here, he fussed at her, kicking his little hooves irritably. He was clearly uncomfortable and wanted something, but he had no idea what.

Just like a little nymph.

Piquis leaned over and picked him up. She gently chattered at him as she sank to her haunches and began to rock him.

Her comforting presence, gentle touch, and soothing noises quickly began to have an effect. He looked up, eyes wide, and Piquis could feel the little flow of emotion. There was a lot from such a tiny foal.

And it was almost pure love.

Piquis smiled contentedly. She leaned down and briefly rubbed noses with the little colt before continuing her rocking. Soon, he was drifting off to sleep.

* * *

The doctor tapped his chin with a hoof. “I’m almost certain we didn’t have that position open. I don’t even think that position exists.”

The nurse frowned. “Are you sure? She seemed so confident.”

The doctor exhaled sharply. “Well, it could be a volunteer position, and the higher-ups didn't communicate; or we could have just facilitated a foalnapping. Let’s just hope that nothing tragic has happened.” He quickly made his way along towards the newborn section, with the nurse quickly following along behind.

He opened the door. “I say!” he started.

Piquis looked up and scowled. “Shh!” she scolded, holding her hoof over her lips. She looked back down and continued rocking the little filly.

The doctor paused. He glanced around. Most of the little foals were sleeping, and this was the quietest this room had ever been; and when was the last time Softheart had looked so in control and put-together. He looked back towards the nurse. “Well, I’m not going to tell her to leave,” he said.

The nurse shook her head in agreement, and the two quietly left.

Piquis grinned.

* * *

Twilight listened intently as Piquis gave her report. She certainly looked happy, and her abdomen did seem a bit distended with all she'd harvested.

That was certainly one of the nice things about cover identities, Twilight mused as Piquis bowed and left. Piquis could stay here, and another changeling could take that shift tomorrow.

Or…

Twilight looked over. “Bruch?”

Bruch looked up. “Yes, Princess?”

“Do you think we could build an orphanage out here?”

Bruch pursed his lips. He'd accepted it a long time ago: he'd never understand his queen.

Author's Note:

Possibly relevant.
The 'defending' part starts next chapter. Sit tight!