• Published 12th Jul 2016
  • 1,707 Views, 52 Comments

Three to Five - TwilightsmyMare



The continuing story of Twilight, Scootaloo, Starswirl, Equestria and I.

  • ...
6
 52
 1,707

Chapter 4 (Dark nights, dark days.)

Seven am was far too early after last night but apparently, no one had told Pinkie that...

"Wake up sleepyheads! It's time for breakfast! Ooh! Maybe they made pancakes, with syrup! And strawberries... Ooh, ooh! And powdered sugar! And..."

"Pinkie..."

"Whipped cream and..."

"Pinkie!"

"Yes Rick?" She smiled adorably and I couldn't be mad at her.

I sighed with a grin. "You’re standing on Twilight."

"Oop! Sorry Twilight!" She giggled hopping down.

"Pinkie..." She growled but much like me she couldn't resist that smile. "Ugh, fine. Coffee first, then breakfast."

"Okie dokie!" And she was off like a shot, to get coffee or dig into breakfast I wasn't sure. That question was quickly answered as I'd only just swung my legs off the bed and she was back depositing a steaming mug beside Twilight on the nightstand. "See you soon!" And she was gone again.

"Pinkie... Thanks." She shook her head smiling levitating the cup over for a sip. "Ugh! Jeez Pinkie did you put any coffee in this cup of sugar?" She giggled.

"Of course there is silly! And it's only thirteen spoonful’s." Pinkie head popped out from around the corner making us both jump. "Bye!"

This time she proceeded down the hall, or did she? I peeked out in time to see her exit into another car before closing the door so I could get dressed in peace, turning back I found Twi dumping the mug out the window her look of distaste clear. I knew she liked her coffee black and even her tea only occasionally sweetened with a spoonful of honey.

I chuckled falling back into bed with her wrapping my arms around her pulling her close. "Mmm..." I breathed her in. "My favorite place to be..."

She turned to face me and we looked into one another’s eyes before kissing softly. "Definitely... But I suppose we had better get up or Pinkie will have everyone down here and breakfast with them!"

I chuckled giving her one last squeeze and kiss before getting up and dressed, before long we were enjoying a delicious breakfast with our friends. conversation was minimal all of us getting a bit nervous knowing we'd pass through the barrier soon and arrive at the Empire proper later that afternoon.

And with a sudden jolt of magical energy and greater brightness through the windows we'd passed through! We all looked out excitedly seeing fields and farmhouses a few ponies looking up from their work to wave to the train.

"Won't be long now, I just hope Cadence and my brother can tell us more..."

"I'm sure they can... What...?" I stopped mid-sentence feeling the train slow then grabbing my armrests along with everyone else as the wheels squealed rapidly slowing bringing the train to a sudden halt."

"What'n tarnation!"

Before any of us could move or comment further a flurry of activity erupted from the Thestral sleeping car and we were surrounded each of them taking up defensive positions.

"What’s happened?!" The captain barked neither he nor any of the Thestrals showing any sign of just being jerked from a sound sleep, I was impressed.

"I'm not sure..." I could hear a faint commotion outside the train and inched my way to the door to look well aware of everyone right behind me. Closer and closer until I could slip the door open and risk a quick look out... right into the middle of an argument.

"I told you Hun, too much power. You need to take it slow, I've had a lifetime to get used to it..."

"Ok, ok... Your right, I just thought..."

"I know..." Cadence smiled wryly kissing her husband then noticing and turning to me. "Sorry for the rough stop, someone doesn't know his own strength." She gestured to a sheepish Shining Armor.

"I said I was sorry... Hey bro, everyone ok?"

That question got answered pretty quickly by an excited purple Unicorn nudging by me excitedly hugging her brother and sister. "Shining Armor, Cadence! Sunshine, sunshine..."

Everyone disembarked as they did their cute greeting including two angry engineers at least until they saw who stopped them then they were all smiles and bows. Last I'd seen him after my recovery Armor had changed quite a bit and that seemed to have continued, he and Cadence had always been near to the same height but now he stood about half a foot taller than her and considerably bulkier though he always had been. Despite it all he still remained the goofy stallion we knew and loved.

"What’s with meeting us way out here? Trouble?" I asked looking around suspiciously and with everything that had happened lately one could hardly blame me.

"Nothing like that." Cadence answered smiling but then turned serious. "Auntie Celestia and Luna spoke to us last night in our dreams filling us in and we agreed with them that whatever lies out there..." She gestured out the way the girls were trying very hard not to turn their heads toward. "You'll need to sort it out sooner than later."

"I suppose that means my hopes of a hot bath and a fluffy feather bed are dashed." Rarity sighed.

"We can promise you that and more when you return Rarity." Armor smiled. "But for now, we can only make sure your properly prepared." He gestured behind them to a wagon laden with winter gear, packs and supplies.

"Not necessary sir, did the Princess’s not inform you that we thoroughly prepared?" The captain asked gesturing to his own pile of supplies the Thestrals had quickly retrieved.

"They did but we have first-hoof experience with what’s out there and we just want you to be well-prepared." Armor countered calmly.

"Of course, sir." He replied clearly unconvinced.

"Better to be over then under-prepared, right?" I asked. "And if we can use that wagon as well we'll be able to take all we'll need."

"Sure, I mean the terrain can be a bit rough out there but with all of you I'm sure you'll be able to manage."

"Sounds good, right?"

The captain grudgingly nodded. "It would be advantageous..."

"Good, now that's settled let’s get you all kitted out." Cadence smiled warmly.

It took a good half-hour or so to get everyone suited up for moderate cold with extra layers stored on the wagon for when they'd be needed along with traveling ration and containers for water which would be plentiful lots of snow and ice where we were going and we were capable of melting and purifying it thankfully.

They didn't have too much for me personally, a hastily adjusted jacket, scarf and cap but I wasn't too worried I liked the cold and could handle it. Twenty below was a bit chilly, thirty getting a bit nasty, forty or fifty? Well that’s when things get really bad, I had experienced fifty below once winds howling and snow blowing. I trudged to work and home in it once but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.

Besides magic would even things up with the insulation spell though I would have to be careful. One of the many lessons in my training involved casting in extreme cold conditions how it would sap your strength much faster, not a problem in town, out shopping or out for a walk but out here... I would be careful to ration my strength but with Twilight here I was sure we would be fine.

"No one we asked has ever been out that far so be careful and return safely and soon." Cadence smiled sadly.

"We'll know the moment you pass back through the shield and come as quickly as we can, just a little something I thought of." He grinned buffing his forehoof against his chest a moment before getting a playful shove from his wife.

"Showoff..."

We all got a good chuckle out of that as we reached the shields edge. "Swift journey my friends, stay safe." Armor and Cadence grabbed Twilight and I for one last hug before we passed through.

"Bye! We'll bring you back a souvenir!"

"Pinkie! What sort of a souvenir do you think we will even find?"

"I dunno Rarity... Rocks? Ooh! My sisters would love souvenir rocks! Remind me to get some rocks!"

"Rocks...? Pinkie I... Never mind." Rarity shook her head with a bemused smile.

Outside the shield the temperature dropped significantly but not to an unbearable level maybe ten below but there were no complaints not even from Rarity which I half expected, the girls chatted as we walked more at ease now that we were on course. The Thestrals walked and flew around us at ease but still watchful showing no sign of weariness from their interrupted sleep.

"Captain... I'm sorry, what was your name? I never thought to ask."

"No need, but it's Cords sir."

"Thank you, will you all be alright? Not much sleep."

"Thank you for your concern sir but we've trained long and hard, we can go for days without sleep if we need to."

"Very impressive, however at this time you don't need to. You could take shorts sleeping in the cart as we travel keeping you all refreshed and ready for whatever might lay ahead."

He considered that a moment regarding me with his golden eyes. "She was right about you."

"Who?"

"Princess Luna, she said I could trust you and while I was resistant to put my faith in such an unknown but it seems I should have trusted my Princess."

"Always a good idea, and I appreciate your trust. I'm still new to this whole 'knight' thing."

"Yes, the Princess did mention you were looking to train your abilities, I'm sure your lovely wife handles your magical training?"

"A bit, she likes to learn all she can while I've been focusing on healing and defensive arts though I must learn the offensive as well to know how to cancel them out... Wait, how did Luna know I...? Oh, right." I really needed to learn how to shield my dreams, not that I minded Luna looking in but if she could so could others and their intentions might be much less benevolent.

"Interesting, might I have a small demonstration? Just for my own insight."

"Sure..." We moved away from the main group and I focused summoning the biggest ball of fire I could, pushing myself a little perhaps trying to impress Cords. It had been a long time since that day in the woods and the marble sized ball of fire I had summoned to protect myself and the fillies from Timber wolves. Training with magic wasn't really a chore, there was always something new, something to strive for. And so, it was easy to make a little time every day for at least a bit of practice.

Therefore, there came a ball of fire easily the size of an inflatable beach ball maybe even a bit bigger, it must have surprised him as he took a step back. Before I snuffed it out Pinkie was there with a many-pronged branch filled with marshmallows. Where she even... Never mind, I held it a few more moments while she twisted and turned her stick browning the marshmallows then zipping off with a 'Thanks!' passing them out to everyone. I sighed smiling releasing the magic turning to Cords again.

"Considerably more than I imagined, there are few casters among us, the Pegasus, Earth ponies and even many Unicorns who could match.

"Well it’s no Kama-Hama-ha but..."

"What?"

"Uh... Nothing, not that impressive really."

"Modesty, no need. Well your clearly covered in that area but she also mentioned you might be interested in some physical training?"

"Exercise or...?"

"Something a bit more involved, I suppose you might have been training with the Loyalty bearer, I've heard she's excelled at close combat at the academy."

"No, it's never come up."

"Then if you’re willing we'll begin tonight."

"Ok then..."

Turns out combat training at my 'level' mostly involved getting kicked around both in hand to hoof combat and with wooden practice weapons and in front of an audience no less. Twilight and Fluttershy covering their eyes half of the time, Rarity and Applejack wincing sympathetically but offering words of encouragement, Pinkie cheering it up sometimes for me sometimes for them. And Dash offering me valid tips when she wasn't laughing at me, so not many.

Needless to say, I was quite ready for bed that evening, a few magically heated rocks kept our campsite warm and combined with sleeping in two's and three's everyone was quite cozy. I lowered myself gingerly onto our sleeping mat my bruises and sore muscles letting me know I was a long way from combat ready.

"We could heal some of that, you don't have to try so hard you could get hurt!" Twi settled down beside me levitating our rations concern in her eyes.

And while she was quite right what little of my pride remained after being tossed around by Malone of all ponies kept me from doing so. "It's alright love, all part of the learning process..."

"It's too much! I don't care if you’re not as good at fighting as them..."

I cut her off pulling her close and kissing her soundly. Has any husband ever been so lucky? I've still got a lot to learn and some discomfort won't help me, I've got to be stronger to protect you, Star, Scootaloo, our friends and the ponies of Equestria...

You don't have to shoulder all that burden...!

I'm not, I have you by my side now and forever. You, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and even Pinkie Pie all do your share and more but you can't do it all on your own, you shouldn’t. You'll let me be your backup, won't you? Your shoulder to lean on?

That and so much more... Her tears fell freely, as I kissed them away her horn glowed softly lessening my fatigue and muscle ache. I'm yours to lean on too don't forget, never feel you can't.

I won't. "Love you."

"Love you."

"Was that a fight? It sure looked like a fight but then you made up without saying a word!" Pinkie giggled jumping onto us. "I'm so jealous, I can't wait to find my special somepony..." She sighed wistfully.

"Oh Pinkie..." Twilight smiled hugging her tightly. "You will, and it will be amazing you'll see."

"Really?"

"You know it Pinkie, you were just telling everyone how they'd find their special someone remember? Why would you think it wouldn't happen to you too?" I asked giving her a squeeze as well.

"Well... It's easy to want to cheer everyone up but sometimes it's not so easy to convince myself..." She admitted.

"Just you wait, someday out of the blue..." I chuckled.

We all settled down half the Thestrals planning to sleep for a bit while the others stood / flew watch, I'd tried to convince Captain Cords that we could share the watches as well but he was firm in his decision that they were here to protect us so we would be ready. Or more so the girls who would likely have to deal with whatever awaited us and I could respect that.

Twilight and I snuggled together smiling as Rarity tried to get Pinkie and Applejack settled down 'her' way.

"Pinkie dear you lay here and then Applejack and I will... Applejack!"

"What? It's been a long day Rare, ah just wanna git some shuteye."

"Not with those dirty hooves! However did you get so much filth in your hoof-covers?"

"Ah don't think it matter..."

"Please darling, for me?"

"Darn fussy... Fine."

"Thank you." She and Pinkie settled down and Applejack joined them after a moment.

"Spic an span yer fussyness."

"Oh, don’t be like that Applejack it's just... Aah! Your hooves are like ice!"

"Well ah did clean em with snow... Hmm, cold are they?"

Suddenly there was a flurry of action under their covers as Rarity tried to escape cold poking and tickling hooves, Pinkie not to be left out of the fun but they tried out quickly enough. Applejack, Dash and the Thestrals being the only ones used to this much constant physical excursion. Dash and Fluttershy were snuggled together near us also giggling at the antics of those three. Sleep came easily and for our first day things looked good but I wasn't naive enough to believe things would stay that way...

Baying howls woke me with a start, I had no idea how long I had slept but I felt well rested and the second shift of the Thestrals supported that though it was still dark. Looking around I could barely see everyone awake moving and wide-eyed the sleeping Thestrals quickly moving to surround us defensively.

"Wolves?" I asked getting up Twilight beside me.

"Wolves." Cords nodded looking out into the darkness, I couldn't see a thing but I was sure their night vision was near perfect.

"How many?"

"Lots..." Malone whispered I hadn’t even noticed her take up a position beside us.

"Forty-Two." Cords corrected. "If they attack keep them out of the circle no matter what."

"Sir!"

They made preparations herding us back to the middle, as insulting as that might be to Dash and I truly we weren't much use if we couldn't see. I felt a small tug on my hand, looking down I found Fluttershy. I knelt down giving her a comforting squeeze.

"It'll be ok Flut..."

"Can you make a light?"

"Uh, of course but what...?"

"Quickly please, I don't want any of them to get hurt!"

"Ok..." I slowly raised the light level expanding it reveling shadowy forms circling the campsite the first to be fully exposed narrowing its eyes growling at us. Typical coloring for a grey wolf but much larger more akin to old tales of Dire wolves... Well tales from Earth, or D&D maybe, easily as large as a pony and beyond the light there were larger shapes...

I raised the light further exposing more of the pack including what must be their leader, a grizzled but large and powerful bigger than any other.

"They’re so beautiful..." Fluttershy whispered taking a few steps toward them before I stopped her.

"I'm not sure that’s a good idea, it doesn't look like they want to be friends."

"You never know unless you try, and if a fight breaks out they or the Thestrals might get hurt!"

"Ok, ok... Are they intelligent?"

"Of course, they are!"

"I mean like you or I?"

"Oh... Well, not quite that intelligent."

"Fluttershy... Ok, we've got your back."

"Thank you."

"Fluttershy is going to try to talk to them, let her through."

The Thestrals looked back in surprise but moved aside to let her pass with a whispered 'Kindness...'

You’re ready to pull her back if things go badly right love?

Naturally, trust Fluttershy. Her empathy with animals is amazing.

Ok.

She moved up and sat a respectful distance from the circling wolves and began talking to them calmly and quietly, no matter how many times I had seen her calm and befriend an animal it never got old. And it seemed to be working, most of the pack stopped circling many sitting and listening to her, I even saw a few tails wag happily however several pack members weren't convinced the leader among them though they stood aloof at least they weren't baring their teeth anymore.

The leader growled and barked at Fluttershy looking us over and then at his pack. "Oh! Yes, of course this is your territory but we are just passing through..." More barks, yips and growls a very one sided conversation from our point of view. "We don't mean you any harm, can't you...?" A low growl was her only reply. "I'll tell them..." She sighed and got up patting a few of the wolves that had sat beside her then making her way back to us.

"Well?" We asked anxiously.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't convince them. They won't attack us..." Everyone breathed a sigh of relief at that. "But they won't let us pass through their territory either. They insist we go back or..."

"We can't go back! Their territory could extend fifty miles!" Cords burst out.

"Just a moment." Twilight spoke up. "What was the alternative Fluttershy?"

"A challenge, one of their pack against one of ours..." She whispered.

"That’s more like it." Cords grinned. "I can take any one of these..."

"Not you... Rick."

They all turned to me and I suppose it wasn't too strange, out of our 'pack' I was the only one like me. Did that make me the strongest or weakest of us to them I didn't know...

"Just until one of you surrenders." Fluttershy quietly added. "No need for anyone to get hurt..."

"Alright then."

"You don't have to do this sir, we can break through and outrun them..."

"No Cords, best not to make any enemies out here." I quickly stopped Twi before she could object. "I'll be careful Twi."

"Humph... If you get hurt, I'll... I'll... Well I'm not sure but at the very least I'll be very angry with you."

I smiled and gave her a quick kiss. "I know it, now which one of them will I be fighting Shy? Please tell me not the leader."

"No not him, that one there." She gestured over to a young wolf pacing back and forth, he had typical coloring but was quite large even compared to most of the rest of the pack. "One of the leader’s sons I think, be careful..." She whispered backing off to join the others.

I moved up, the pack and our group spreading out to form a large circle. Surprisingly intelligent for animals... Though it seemed most of the animals here were more intelligent then back on Earth but even animals there could constantly surprise you, maybe they were less dependent on instinct? I would have to discuss it with Twi later.

I examined the wolf as I approached, I couldn't see much resemblance with the leader, well he was a wolf... What the hell did I know about wolves? Somehow, I had to defeat him without hurting him too much or 'offending' the pack leader. Not to mention getting hurt myself though I wasn't as worried about that, while I wasn't a combat master by any stretch dogs and wolves tended to telegraph their attacks that much I knew, their teeth being their only real mode of attack, just keep those teeth from latching on...

We faced off his hackles risen teeth bared waiting for some signal, I could likely end this quickly with some flashy show of magic but I didn't want to scare them, or did I...? As the leader growled and the wolf tensed up to charge I made a snap decision. The young wolf hurled himself forward trusting his speed and strength to carry the day, even if he didn't get his teeth in me his weight and momentum could easily bowl me over. He didn't have his packmates assisting him this time though letting me focus solely on him.

As he came on I sidestepped his teeth just catching my sleeve ripping fabric, the split second he was parallel to me I acted putting everything I had into a two-handed push with all my strength and some magic trusting these wolves were as tough as they looked. He flew about five feet hitting the ground hard with a small yelp but I didn't give him any time to recover pursuing him as soon as I'd struck tackling him forcing him onto his back grabbing one of his back legs with my right hand pushing his jaw up with my left darting down with my own jaws extended closing on his exposed neck digging my teeth in a bit.

While a human does have, an impressive bite force I wasn't fooling myself piercing his fur, skin and muscle wasn't likely but I didn't really want to hurt him anyway. It was the gesture that was symbolic... At least I hoped so, I'd read it somewhere though from something reputable or some adventure novel I wasn't sure.

He struggled claws scraping and scrabbling against me ripping up my jacket as I tried my best to maintain my hold keeping him pinned. If felt like much longer but in moments it was over, he stopped struggling letting out a low whimper. I held on a second longer than released stepping back massaging my sore jaw looking around, a sea of astonished stares all around. Wolf, pony and Thestrals, I guess they weren't expecting that... Snap decisions aren't always the best ideas but I figured a quick decisive strike that showed them we weren't to be messed with but in a way they were comfortable with... I hoped I hadn’t offended the pack or leader by his son’s swift defeat.

A moment passed then the leader tossed his head back howling to the moonlit sky the rest of the pack following suit even the wolf I'd just fought and most surprisingly Fluttershy threw back her head her long pink mane cascading as she let out an adorable howl. "We're members of the pack." She blushed with a smile.

"Temporarily at least." Cords grunted.

Fluttershy looked at him strangely a second then shrugged. "They really don't see it that way, either you are or you aren't. And we are, I think you impressed them Rick."

"Well one predator to another I suppose..." I chuckled.

One by one each pack member came up sniffing my hand and on to each member of our group until we'd all been integrated... Accepted. Then they went back to doing what they do, being wolves.

We still had a few hours of sleep left so we settled back down surrounded by the... By our pack, Cords wasn't quite convinced but Fluttershy assured us all we were perfectly safe and that was good enough for us.

Well that was... Something!

Hope I didn't give you too much of a fright.

A little, but in a good way.

What do you mean?

Seeing you so... Savage, strong... Feral... Mmm... She stretched against me teasingly. Maybe next time we get some alone time... She left that linger snuggling up.

Oh! I'm sure we can make that happen. I growled softly nibbling her neck before wrapping my arms around her holding her close as we all slipped back into sleep.

We were their enemies, now we're friends... If only all things in life could be so simple.

Author's Note:

Hey! We're back! Surely it hasn't been so long... (Looks at the date of his last published chapter.) Damn! Um... Sorry, you know how I can be... Sigh, procrastination is a hell of a thing eh? Still I'll keep plodding on and I hope you don't mind the wait too much.
Oh right! Merry Christmas all! Well, soon enough.
And a happy Hearths Warming! :twilightsmile: