• Published 9th Jul 2016
  • 8,153 Views, 757 Comments

Beethoven's Tenth - CrackedInkWell



One stormy evening in 1825, Ludwig van Beethoven was followed by a mysterious shadow and transported into Equestria.

  • ...
25
 757
 8,153

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Meine Unsterbliche Geliebte in E b Major.

The first thing that Beethoven noticed as he became conscious was that he couldn’t breathe. Although he felt physically weak, he panicked as he struggled to get a breath of air. In the first short breaths, the cool air came in like razor blades down his throat before he was able to breathe properly. He then opened his eyes, realizing that this was not the same room that he was before the doctors had given him something to “put him under.”

He found that he wasn’t alone. There were two nurses nearby, seeming chatting away about something. Their lips were saying too many words for Ludwig to read off of.

“Was ist passiert?” Ludwig asked softly. His throat was so dry that he could hear that it was hoarse, yet, this did get the ponies attention. The nurses started to talk to him, but the ringing was ever present, “What?” he asked. “I can’t hear you.”

One of them seemed to realized that she has forgotten something before facehoofing, trotting over to a nightstand nearby, she picked up the magic scroll before unrolling it in front of him. “How are you feeling?” she asked.

“Water,” the composer begged.

The other nurse quickly got a small cup to which the giant gulped it down his desert-like mouth. “Did something happen?” Ludwig asked.

“I’m happy to say that your surgery is over,” the nurse smiled. “The doctors have succeeded in removing your appendix within thirty-five minutes. Since it’s almost midnight and that you're a unique species, we’re going to have you stay in the hospital until you can walk around without pain, which we estimate it to be roughly a week. You’ll be given some pills at certain times to numb the pain while you rest. Now, mind you, we think that you can still be able to walk but only at short distances and won’t be able to stand up for very long. So, before we wheel your bed over to your room, is there anything my assistant can get you before you go to bed?”

Beethoven felt his hand over his abdomen to which he felt some patches where the scares where “I just realized that I hadn’t eaten all day.”

“We’ll fetch you some soup.” After the nurse told the other to go get the food, she pushed and pulled the giant down a hallway. Ludwig took notice again at the needle still inserted in his hand that’s connected to, what the doctors called an “I-V,” made out of clear, bendable tubes that snake up to a bag filled with what he thinks is water. In all honesty, he didn’t understand the need for having a needle in his wrist.

Beethoven was pulled into one of the larger rooms to which he was hooked up to a machine that, as far as the nurse had told him, monitored his heartbeat. “Now if you are in need of something,” the nurse explained to Ludwig as he read off the scroll. “You press this button here,” she pointed to his left. “Whatever you need: food, a drink, asking for more medication or you need help, you just press that and a nurse will come and see you. You can also control the bed to suit to your liking with this over here,” she pointed to another controller with two buttons that had arrows on them. “And the bathroom is right over there, any questions?”

“When can I compose?” he asked, “Is there any paper or pens around?”

“For now, let’s get you some dinner and some sleep. I’ll check with the doctor to see if you could. Just take it easy while I go check on that soup.”

So after a bowl of soup that was as stale as the room, he was in and a quick trip to the bathroom, the nurse gave him some pills. Both of these were meant to ease the pain and the other to help him sleep. About an hour later, Beethoven slipped into the dream realm.

Ludwig saw that he was walking on a stage wherein the middle was a piano. He heard that there was applause as he strides over to the instrument. Looking over, he realized where exactly he was! He was in the Theater an der Wien, his favorite place in all of Vienna to perform his music. Not only that, but it was a full house too with a cross-section of Viennese society clapping.

But as soon as he reached the piano and took a bow, he quickly realized that he had no idea what exactly he was going to play. However, that concern was short lived when he heard a voice ringing in the theater: “Präsentieren ihre königliche Hoheit - Riser des Mondes und der Sterne, die Jägerin der Alpträume, Herrin aller Dinge Spaß, und Mitherrscher Equestria: Prinzessin Luna!”

Taken by surprise, Ludwig, along with the theater’s inhabitants looked spotted that in a box near the stage, the blue alicorn emerged. She was given three cheers as she came into full view, waving to the audience before turning to the composer.

“Hello once again, Mr. Beethoven, I hope that I’m not interrupting something.”

“On the contrary,” Ludwig said, “It seems we were about to start.”

“Well, before you do, I came by to ask you something. For you see, I heard from the Canterlot Philharmonic that you were rushed to the hospital. Is this true?”

The old man looked up at her, “News must travel fast in Equestria as it does here in Vienna.”

Luna gave a confused look but then quickly realized what he meant, “Oh no. You’re not in Vienna, you’ve just fallen asleep.”

“I fail to see what you mean, your Highness.”

“Let me ask you this,” she said as she placed a casual hoof over the box’s gilded railing, “How exactly did you get here?”

Beethoven chuckled, “That's easy, I…” but then his mind went blank. He had no memory before coming to the theater, except… “I’m still in the hospital?”

“I would assume so,” then Luna inquired, “and I would guess that you’re already done with the surgery, which, by the way, how did it go?”

“They told me that they have successfully removed the cause of my ailment,” Beethoven declared, much to the delight of the “audience.”

“Did those doctors tell you how long you will be staying at the hospital?” Luna added.

“Perhaps a week, but you can never know from doctors.”

The Night Princess nodded, “I see. Then I and on behalf of my subjects, we wish you a speedy recovery. So to celebrate, how about we allow you to play anything you wish.”

Beethoven went over to take a seat in front of the keyboard. But as he did so, he looked up as he saw someone walking across the stage, much the whispers of the audience. The woman that approached him was all in black with a veil that obscured her face. “Ludwig?” she asked.

Luna raised an eyebrow; she was just as curious as the audience of who this was supposed to be.

Ludwig immediately got up, and went over to her to place a kiss on her hand, “Unsterbliche Geliebte, ich habe nicht erwartet, Sie zu sehen.” (For the English translation, scroll down to the Author's note. *)

“Sie haben mich nicht etwas für eine lange Zeit geschrieben.” The woman in black said, “Ich hoffe, Sie haben nicht um mich vergessen.”

“Verzeihen Sie mir,” Beethoven said, “ich habe viel zu tun, nach Hause zu kommen, fand ich es unmöglich, Ihnen zu schreiben.” He waved a hand towards the piano bench, “Werden Sie kommen und sitzen neben mir?”

At this point, Luna thought that whoever this was, it must be someone that Ludwig knows personally as the veiled woman took a seat next to Beethoven.

“Warum hast du mir nicht zu schreiben?” she asked.

“Erlaube mir,” Ludwig said as he placed his hands on the piano. Even though the Princess of the Night had no idea what the composer was saying, the music made her deduct further that this woman must be someone that he cared for deeply.

Beethoven spoke again, and as he did so, the stage began to change. Trees materialize from the wooden floor, sprouting autumn leaves that fell in a gentle breeze. “Mein Engel, meine Unsterbliche Geliebte, aus diesem Land der Ponys, ich habe Sie immer mehr fehlt. Gezwungen, eine neue Symphonie zu schreiben, und weit weg von zu Hause, mein Geist wendet sich an dich in meinen peacful von Momenten. Während mit Freundlichkeit behandelt zu werden, und das Land ist ein Wunder zu sehen, ist es die Erinnerung an alles, was ich in Wien lieben, dass mein Grund ist, dass ich zurückkehren möchten.

“Aber keine Sorge, ich arbeite jeden Tag hart an meiner Musik so habe ich das göttliche Privileg, so dass Sie bald zu sehen, wie ich in der Lage bin. Dieses seltsame und wunderbare Land ist insperiation voll, ich kenne eine Richtung haben, in dem ich zu dir zurückkommen. Bitte nicht für mich weinen, ist Ihre Liebsten bald in deinen Armen sein wird.

“Obwohl, ich gebe zu, dass eine solche Rückkehr zu einem hohen Preis zu mir kommen. Der einzige Weg, dass wir wieder vereint wird, ist, wenn ich meine zehnte Symphonie opfern, in denen Wien vielleicht nie hören. So viel wie es schmerzt mich, werde ich erfüllen, wenn es sorgt dafür, dass ich nach Hause kommen sollte, zurück. Obwohl ich und meine Musik wird verblassen, wird Ihre Liebe und Tugend für immer unsterblich bleiben.

“Bis zu diesem gesegneten Tag, ich werde bleiben, für immer dein, ewig mein, ewig uns - Ludwig.”

Luna had overstayed her welcome and made a mental note in sending a gift to the composer when he wakes up.

Author's Note:

* For those who are confused at the very end and have no idea what Ludwig was saying, here's a translation of it:

Ludwig immediately got up, and went over to her to place a kiss on her hand, “Immortal Beloved, I did not expect to see you.”

“You have not written me something for a long time.” The woman in black said, “I hope you have not forgotten about me.”

“Forgive me,” Beethoven said, “I have a lot to do to get back home, I found it impossible to write to you.” He waved a hand towards the piano bench, “Will you come and sit next to me?”

At this point, Luna thought that whoever this was, it must be someone that Ludwig knows personally as the veiled woman took a seat next to Beethoven.

“Why did you not write to me?” she asked.

"Allow me," Ludwig said as he placed his hands on the piano. Even though the Princess of the Night had no idea what the composer was saying, the music made her deduct further that this woman must be someone that he cared for deeply.

Beethoven spoke again, and as he did so, the stage began to change. Trees materialize from the wooden floor, sprouting autumn leaves that fell in a gentle breeze. “My angel, my Immortal Beloved, from this land of ponies, I have been missing you more and more. Forced to write a new symphony, and far away from home, my mind turns to you in my peaceful of moments. While being treated with kindness, and the country is a wonder to behold, it is the memory of everything I love in Vienna that my reason is that I want to return.

“But do not worry, I'm working hard every day on my music so I have so that you see the divine privilege soon as I am able. This weird and wonderful country is so full of inspiration, that I now have a direction, where I can come back to you. Please do not cry for me, is your loved one will soon be in your arms.

“Although, I admit that to return is such a high price for me. The only way that we will be reunited is if I sacrifice my tenth symphony, in which Vienna might never hear. As much as it pains me, I will fulfill, if it ensures that I should come home, back. Although I and my music will fade, your love and virtue will remain forever immortal.

“Until that blessed day, I'll stay, yours forever, forever mine, forever us - Ludwig.”

Luna had overstayed her welcome and made a mental note in sending a gift to the composer when he wakes up.

PreviousChapters Next