• Published 5th Jul 2016
  • 641 Views, 31 Comments

Post War - Foxgear



War changes people and the mane six are no exception. In their finest hours they loss friends, family, and even themselves.

  • ...
11
 31
 641

Fluttershy

Post War Fluttershy

By Foxgear


She was alone. Her eyes darted around the large pool area to be certain; she even glanced up at the glass ceiling where the night sky sparkled overhead. She was defiantly alone. Carefully she removed her clothes, always glancing, always searching. She’s always been afraid around other people, shy, just like her name. She wasn’t quiet as shy as before, no she was comfortable around people most of the time now. Still she didn’t want to be seen by them, she didn’t want them to see her.

Her robe fell away, leaving her naked in the moon light, once people would have called her beautiful, pretty, and all those embarrassing enduring things. Now those voices were quiet and their eyes averted. She looked at her reflection in the water. Her own marred features looking back at her.

Yeah, it was true, she wasn’t the beauty she once was, not that it mattered to her much. She never cared for such things. Eyes closed she walked into the pool, the cool water washing over her burns causing them to sting a little, but she didn’t mind. She wanted to go swimming, so she went swimming.

She was Fluttershy, element of kindness and head nurse of Medic unit 32. A role she’s kept after the war. People needed her help and she would be there to help them. Right now though, she wanted to swim, to forget and to remember. Remember the good times, before and during the war, and forget the bad the seemed to have befallen all her former friends.

“That’s not right,” She said aloud, “their still my friends. There is no former. We are just… apart for now.”

None of them were expecting the war to affect them like it did. They’ve fought to save Equestria many times and have come out with only a few scratches at worse. She giggled, knowing Rainbow put herself in the hospital more times just by practicing flying then saving world.

Which is why this last time was just a shock to them all, for the first time they lost friends, they lost family, and they lost themselves. For the first time working together as the elements or former elements, didn’t solve the problem. The problem got worse! Not directly because of them, they didn’t know, didn’t realize how bad things were becoming. How could they? Saving the world, it had been easy.

Maybe it’s been too easily. Maybe they should have been more active in their fight against evil, instead of just returning to their daily lives like it was just nuances that just happened every now and then.

She frowned, a look of anger and hatred looked back at her from the glass ceiling. One name was on her mind, the name of their former princess, Princess Celestia.

“I hate her. I actually hate her.”

Hating someone was new to Fluttershy. Sure she’s had her problems with her brother, but she didn’t hate him. She had been frustrated with him. Celestia was different. She trusted Celestia to lead them, to lead the country, to make sure things like the war didn’t happen. Did she do a lot to keep the peace? Yes, but did she do enough?

No.

The princess was a thousand years old. She knew a lot. She knew there were dangerous foes and artifacts just waiting to come back or be found. She knew! Yet, she did nothing. She didn’t call out a search for them. Never gave them a heads up that something bad might be on its way before they had already discovered said thing. Like with their first encounter with Discord. Discord had already taken over Ponyville before she even bothered to summon them!

Speaking of things that the princess knew and didn’t tell them, she didn’t even bother to tell them that all the chaos of the war might have an effect on the spirit of chaos. Something like, oh turn him insane again! Did she ever mention it? No, not till Discord turned against them!

Fluttershy stared at her reflection, the burns covering her body from head to toe. They still hurt to this day, but what hurt the most was the agony on her friend’s face once he realized what he did. The day Discord burned her.

She had been tending to some patients that day; it was busy, scratch that it was always busy. Wounded were pouring in faster than they could care for. Many were already dead before they were laid on the bed, but that didn’t stop her or her fellow doctors from trying to save them. The medical tent had been absolute chaos and no one noticed the spirit of chaos standing in the center with a small evil grin.

In a single horrifying moment all the IV’s exploded, the water inside changed into hot flaming liquid. Patients, doctors, nurses, everybody was hit. Clothes and bed sheets caught fire; the entire tent was ablaze before anyone knew what happened. She still remembered the screams as she rolled on the ground, white dead skin falling off her as she tried to put out the flames. She rolled to Discord’s feet, the spirit of chaos laughing joyfully at the display. It broke her heart to see him like that, but she couldn’t cry even if she wanted to, her tear ducts had been burned away.

Discord had continued to laugh; only when he looked down at her did he seem to regain his senses. He looked horrified. He quickly dowsed the flames and reached to help her, but she had been so terrified that she smacked his hand away. In that moment she could see Discord’s heart shatter right before her eyes and he froze himself in stone, his hand still reaching out for her.

After the incident, Celestia explained that since Discord was the spirit of chaos and thus was empowered when chaos spread throughout the land. The extra power caused him to give into his baser instincts. She had hoped that his new bonds of friendship would prevent him from relapsing and he could use the extra power to help win the war, but Celestia “regretfully” underestimated how much chaos the war had produced.

Fluttershy didn’t blame Discord for what he had done. Chaos was a part of his very nature, spreading chaos was his lot in the universe. He was no different than a carnivore needing to eat meat in her mind. She did blame Celestia though. Celestia who knew what could happen if Discord were to get wrapped up in the chaos and lose himself in it. Celestia who never once brought it up in any meetings or asked they watch Discord for any strange behavior. Fluttershy had seen the signs that he was struggling with something, but had no idea what. She didn’t know he had been fighting the urge to do evil, to go back to his old ways. Maybe if she had known, if they had known, they could have helped their friend.

Now, now it was too late. Discord was still frozen in stone, choosing to remain there by his own will. Even after she’s gone begged him to come out, he’s refused; he stayed frozen reaching out for her.

The door opened and someone stepped inside. Quickly Fluttershy crouched down in the water, covering her breasts with her arms.

“Who’s there?”

A bob of purple and teal hair popped through the door, it was Starlight Glimmer of all people.

“Fluttershy, are you here? I wanted to talk to-“

“GET OUT!” Fluttershy screamed suddenly, spooking the pink skinned woman.

Starlight hid behind the door, a shiver running up her spine when she caught a glimpse of Fluttershy’s eyes turning red; a side effect of a misguided attempt to try and heal her burns.

“Fluttershy, I’m sorry I’m interrupting your private time, but I wanted to ask…” From the other side of the door Starlight heard an angry hiss. Reluctantly she got up off the floor and peeked through the small window on the door. She immediately jumped away from the door; Fluttershy was on the other side of the glass with blood red eyes and long sharp fangs.

“I said get out!”

Starlight nodded wordlessly and quickly fled leaving Fluttershy panting for breath as she tried to calm herself down. She hated people seeing her naked. Before she would have just been embarrassed and meek about it, now she just hated the way they stared at her. They stared at her with pity and fear. Pity for her burns and fear for the monster she’s become.

She leaned against the door, staring up at the moon with a single stream of tears falling from her good eye. She was no longer a sweet butterfly of kindness.

She was just a hateful bat in disguise.