• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 2,408 Views, 58 Comments

Rainwater Martini - Loyal



Berry Punch falls for the new bartender in town, who turns out to be a really old friend...

  • ...
3
 58
 2,408

Hair of the Dog

"Woah, easy, Berry Punch... Take it easy..." Carrot Top shifted her weight underneath the inebriated pony, hefting her a little higher as they swaggered down the street.

"'M fine, Carrot Top..." She mumbled. She was drunk, no doubt about that, but not nearly as bad as she had been before. Or as she should be right now. "Jes get me in the door. I'ma go to bed..." Ugh... She was leaning on her friend again. No, not her friend... Carrot Top was something more. Ever since her confession last week, Carrot Top had slowly become closer and closer. She would give her soft kisses when they said goodbye, press close when they said hello, stand against her side in public... Berry Punch didn't know how she felt about her yellow-coated friend... She didn't know how she felt period.

So she tried to lose her feelings in the drink. The call of the creature had returned, and she answered it willingly. Saddened and sickened with how she had fallen, Berry Punch seemed to slowly be returning to an introverted, sad state. What's more, she was getting a lot more drunk on a lot less of the drink than normal. She still had her hardened, toned curves from the hard summer of work, though, and had taken to a four-mile run every morning to keep up her figure. It was during that time that she got a blissful break from Carrot Top's almost constant advances. That is, until she had found out about Berry Punch's exercise routine and insisted on joining. Then, Berry Punch didn't even get that.

"Here we go." Carrot Top swung them through the front door, and Berry Punch smoothly pulled away. She swaggered towards the stairs a little unevenly, but without help from Carrot Top.

I've dragged my sorry flank home after worse... She thought grimly as she plodded up the stairs. Glancing back, she saw the door was still open, Carrot Top watching her go. "Something wrong?" She asked, swaying slightly.

"J-just making sure you're okay!" Carrot Top whimpered slightly, as if she had been caught doing something she ought not to be doing.

"And looking at my flank." Berry Punch muttered.

"W-well..."

"No. You may not share my bed. If you really need a place to stay, the couch is open. Good night, Carrot Top." She groaned, ascending the last few steps. Carrot Top, ever vigilant, closed the door behind her and curled up on the couch. Seriously, she needs to know when to give up... But at the same time, I don't want to lose a friend... What do I do? Heaving a sigh, she turned the shower on cold and stood under the numbing stream, watching the water circle the drain for what felt like fifteen minutes. When she exited, absent of steam, the clock on her bedside table betrayed it had only been five. Drying off, she went to curl up in bed, but saw Carrot Top in her doorway.

"What's wrong?" Berry Punch asked cynically, her head low as she made her way to the far side of the bed. "Need a glass of warm milk to lull you to sleep?"

"Berry, let's stop dancing around the issue like a snake that's going to bite us." Carrot Top said softly. "I know you're tired and drunk and really not in the mood, but... We need to talk about this." Well, there was some truth to that. Berry Punch sighed and looked at her long-time friend over the bed.

"You're right. Let's talk, then." Carrot Top slipped inside her room, shut the door behind her.

"I've said it dozens of times in the past week, and I know your ears to be anything but deaf. I love you, Berry... I really do. Seeing you do this to yourself on account of my confession is... Well, it's kind of hurtful... You know how I feel about you drinking, and while I'm glad you've been taking it easy, I hate to see you fall again... And I DO love you. A lot. All these years being your friend has made me see that... I just..." She took a hesitant step closer. "I just don't want to lose you. Ever. Please, tell me you feel at least some of the same things I do?" Berry Punch sighed and curled up on the bed. Carrot Top appeared downtrodden. She turned and placed a hoof on the knob, ready to leave, when Berry Punch spoke.

"We'll give it a try. But I don't love you any more than as a friend, Carrot Top. That, and if I ever get uncomfortable with our relationship, I reserve the right to end it at any time." She rolled over to look at her friend, still on the threshold. "I just don't want to lose my only friend... I'll do anything to keep you, even if it means being your..." She blushed. "Your lover... So please... Don't leave?" Carrot Top smiled wider than Berry Punch had ever seen, which made her smile in return.

"Does that mean I get to share your bed after all?" She asked. Berry Punch rolled so her back was turned, inviting Carrot Top to spoon. She did so willingly, curling up to Berry's back smoothly. While she wasn't sure the motivation behind it, Berry Punch was thankful for the warm presense against her back. She sighed contentedly, closing her eyes and letting the alcohol and exhaustion carry her off to sleep.

--------------

She didn't dream. At least, she didn't THINK she dreamt... Memories and vision floated past incoherently, left her confused as she shifted from one state of mind to another and back again. Groaning and tossing, she woke up a lot earlier than she would have liked, and to the sound of Carrot Top's heavy breathing. Groaning softly, she slid from the bed, careful not to wake her friend. It was early autumn, the leaves slowly turning from their healthy green to a faded sort of brown. They were beginning to fall, and in the pre-dawn light, Berry looked out at the still town in the early morning light. Feeling restless and a little hungover, she decided it was time for her daily run. It'd be good to take one without Carrot Top for once. Quiet as could be, she left her home and walked to the starting place, feeling the encroaching headache vaporize in the chill air.

As she approached the starting point of her usual run through the trails around Ponyville, Berry Punch spotted a pegasus in the air above her.

"Who in the hoof?" She muttered, looking up at the flyer. She squinted and looked closer, watching them dart behind a could before arcing into a graceful turn. "No way..." That blue mane... It couldn't be... Just as they turned into an easy dive, coming to a wind-swept halt ten feet in front of her, Berry Punch saw it was none other than... "Raindrops."

"The one and only." The yellow-coated mare grinned and flapped her wings a few times, stretching. "It's hard to catch you away from Carrot Top, you know that?" She said. Berry blinked.

"What? What do you mean, catch me away from her?" Raindrops blinked to mirror Berry Punch, then sighed and covered her face with a hoof.

"Wow, she really didn't tell you anything, did she?" She muttered, looking up at last. "Listen, we've got a lot to talk about,"

"I'll say." Berry Punch felt herself puff up, feeling a little offended. Here was the mare she had started to care for, and right when she started feeling worse than ever, right when she needed a friend more than ever, she had dashed off like Berry was a leper! All those long months, and not a single word from the mare who was supposed to be her friend, her special somepony. "I haven't heard from you in almost five months, Raindrops. Longer than that, even. Not when I was in the hospital, not when I was with my family... Not even when I got home! If you thi-"

"Stop." Raindrops dropped her head, sounding both angry and frustrated. "Like I said, there's a lot we need to talk about. Not here, though." She looked up, casting a glance over Berry Punch's shoulder. "She's coming. If you can get away from her for even an hour, we REALLY need to discuss everything that's been happening. And I mean EVERYTHING. Come to my place if you can. Please, Berry... Trust me on this." There was hurt in her voice. Berry Punch backed away a step, her eyes suddenly wide.

"Wait, what do you mean 'Everything?' What's going on?" Raindrops shook her head and turned away, taking off into the sky. "Wait!" Berry Punch called after her, watching the pale yellow pegasus disappear behind another cloud.

"Was that Raindrops?" Carrot Top said, panting as she caught up with Berry Punch. "That girl was just trying to set you off again, wasn't she? Ooh, I knew she was no good!"

"I think... I just... I'm so confused." Berry Punch said softly, looking forlornly at the cloud that concealed the pegasus.

"About what?" Carrot Top said, nudging her shoulder. "You know I'll answer any questions you have, Berry... I've been nothing if not truthful with you. Come on, let's talk about it." She said, gesturing to a nearby bench. Berry Punch walked over to it in a haze, plopping down with a heavy sigh.

"I just... What's going on lately?" She muttered softly.

"Well, you're trying to get back on your hooves. Aside from last night, which is the worst I've seen you since you got back, you've been doing really well... I mean, you've been worse than last night. A lot worse. So I guess there's not any reason to be angry or worried... As long as I'm around to take care of you, right?" Carrot Top smiled and nudged her again, scooting close on the bench. Berry Punch didn't even feel like she was there...

"She said there was a lot to discuss... What could she have meant?" Carrot Top snorted.

"She's probably just trying to confuse you. Trust me, if she cared, she would have been there for you. She didn't bother to visit once when you were in the hospital. And rumor has it, she was off with some colt while you were with your family." Carrot Top's words sounded true. Berry didn't want to believe it, but it sounded so right. She groaned and sunk her face into her hooves, wanting the world to just go away. There was one way to make that happen... But first, she needed a jog. She stretched with Carrot Top, listening to the idle chatter from her friend... No, her MAREfriend... About how Raindrops was a horrible pony, how she didn't care for anypony but herself, how she would betray a friend at the drop of a hat... It all fell on deaf ears, Berry Punch listening to her own thoughts instead.

Things to discuss? Hard to 'catch' me away from Carrot Top? What does it all MEAN? Those and many other thoughts like it pounded through her head, nearly driving Berry Punch insane with all the incessant questions... And no answers to be found. At least, none that she could trust. Before she knew it, she was alone on the road, her legs pumping furiously beneath her. She ground to a halt, barely lathered in a thin layer of sweat as she turned to look behind her. Carrot Top was struggling to catch up, panting and lagging behind quite a bit. A faint cry of 'wait up' reached her ears, but Berry didn't feel like waiting. In fact, she didn't feel like being with Carrot Top just then. Picking the pace back up, Berry Punch cut through a field back towards Ponyville. Carrot Top followed, suddenly louder as she tried to get Berry to stop. Berry knew it. Carrot Top knew she knew it. Now it was a race to get there... Both mares destined for Raindrops' home. Berry Punch vaulted a fence, turned a corner, and took off, renewed energy filling her veins.

"Over here!" The voice made her skid to a halt, she back pedaled and looked down a side alleyway. Raindrops waved a hoof from behind a doorway. Quickly, Berry Punch dashed down the alley, ducked into the doorway. Both of them were as quiet as they could be, breathing deep and heavy, trying to listen for any sounds. Hoof beats soon met their ears. Carrot Top huffed past, running as fast as she could. Working out with Berry Punch for a few weeks had her accustomed to running, but not quite as able as the magenta mare was. Sighing when her hoof beats faded into nothing, Berry Punch stepped out of the doorway and turned back to her supposed friend.

"Start explaining. I want your side of the story, one hundred percent truth, from the day after Hearts and Hooves day."

"Alright then. Here goes." Rain Drops plopped down and lifted her eyes, narrowing them slightly as she recalled the memories. "The day after, when you couldn't remember what had happened, I got angry, kicked you out. I'd like to think I wasn't without my reasons, but I didn't know you'd hit the sauce so hard. I checked in on you a week later, right at the same time Carrot Top did. Well, about five minutes after she did. I flew in right as they were going to put you into the ambulance... I saw your body, limp and unconscious, and I... I fuckin' lost it, Berry..." She was legitimately crying then. "I don't know how or when, but I ended up at a friend's house... We dated a long time ago, but he and I are straight. No funny business. He helped me cool my head, got me back under control. When I was good again, you were still in the hospital. But that little..." She shot a glare to the mouth of the alleyway, where they had last heard Carrot Top pass.

"Hey-"

"No, you need to hear this. She took over your medical stuff, told the doctors she was the closest thing to your family you had, and wouldn't let anypony see you. Man, even LUSH came outta the woodwork to come check on you. She didn't let anypony aside from the doctors and the nurses into your room. She sat outside the entire time, doing nothing but shooing us all off, and getting security to kick us out if we got too antsy." Berry Punch was shocked. She opened her mouth to speak, found she couldn't.

"Lush, me, a couple of the guys from the bar... Big Mac stopped by to say hi, since he heard about it. And you know how cool he is, doesn't say a word normally. And I'm willing to bet that she didn't even tell you how we all fixed your house up. I got in pretty good with a nurse, and while she couldn't get me in to see you, she did let me know you were getting ready to go home. Me an' Lush went and cleared up your home, got it all nice and shiny. Then... Then... SHE butted in, kicked us out, and acted like SHE had been the one that was concerned all along, had kept your house clean. That day on, I couldn't get to you without runnin' into her. I just had to watch. I was obsessed. I quit bartending, followed you everywhere, like some lovesick little puppy... I swear, I watched you every day I could, I watched you waste away. I was there when you got the talking-to from your mom... I watched, from a distance, as you went back home. I had so much to tell you, I needed to say it all, that I love you, that I missed you, about what Carrot Top had done, about all that had transpired over the past few weeks, but when I finally caught you alone, finally got a moment to just... TELL you all that had gone wrong, I... I..." The tears flowed faster now as Raindrops collapsed, sobbing into the dirt. "I couldn't say it!" She wailed, sniffling and sobbing in frustration. Berry Punch felt her own throat tighten at the display, wondered if she could endure it, watching her friend sob and choke and cry. Slowly, she advanced on the sobbing pony, gently lifted her chin up.

"Do you still love me?" Berry Punch whispered gently. Raindrops sobbed, gave a hiccuping nod.

"Mmhmm..." She said softly. "You've ch-changed a lot, but it's all for the better..." Her voice was low with a whimper, and she sniffled as her head nuzzled into Berry's hoof. "You're so beautiful, and so much more vibrant now..." Another sniffle. "I've been watching you ever since you got back, and I'm astounded... You drink a little, just enough to get pretty loose, but not so much that I have to worry... And even if I did, SHE does it all for me... I swear, if I could just... Just... BE with you again, I'd..."

"You'd WHAT?" The voice made them both jump. Carrot Top stood at the entrance to the alleyway, looking down at both of them, her breath coming in pants. "Lie to her some more? You know just as well as I do all the words you've said to Berry, ever since you met her again, were all lies. I swear, if I could never have reminded you two of your past, I would have..."

"No, wait..." Berry cut in. "That's so wrong. Even without everything else, Raindrops and I were friends. What kind of friend would you be to not tell me about her?"

"The kind of friend that cares!" Carrot Top cried, her eyes closed as she lowered her head slightly. "The kind of friend that keeps mares like HER away from you! She just wants to USE you, Berry! She's done nothing but lie from day one, and it's all so she can... Can..."

"CAN WHAT?!" Raindrops roared, finding her strength again. She struck an intimidating pose as she rose to her full height. "Go ahead and say it, I DARE you!" She advanced at Carrot Top, huffing.

"So you can seduce her into bed!" Carrot Top hardly had a moment to breathe before Raindrops countered.

"So I can seduce her into bed?! ME?!" She snorted and lowered her head, pawing at the ground. "YOU'RE the one who's been lying up and down to her! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S BEEN TRYING TO GET HER INTO YOUR BED!" She glanced back at a flustered, shocked Berry Punch. "And I guess it's worked... You've made her so blind to who her real friends are, all she sees are the fake ones." Raindrops sighed and stood up normally, glaring down at a suddenly-whimpering Carrot Top. "If you've any sense of decency, you'll fess up to her, and be a true friend, one who lets the one she loves live her life. Who'd be happy to see others be happy." She scoffed and spread her wings. "You make me sick." And she was gone... A puff of wind kicked up as she flapped off, leaving one shocked Berry Punch and a softly crying Carrot Top in an alleyway as daybreak came, cold and forlorn...

-----------------------------------

"Tell it to me." Berry Punch said coldly, sliding a cup of hot chocolate across the table to Carrot Top. "All of it." Her friend took it with no small amount of reluctance, gently swirling the contents before taking the first sip.

"I don't know how much she told you..."

"It shouldn't matter if you tell the truth." Berry Punch said, sitting opposite, her expression both haggard and serious. Carrot Top cringed slightly.

"I suppose you're right... Well, it started that day I found you... I checked on you, you collapsed, I called the ambulance, and just as they were putting you in to take you to the hospital, she dove in, screaming about how she mattered more, how she just had to see you. When she finally caught a glimpse, she froze and took off. From then out, I didn't see her. At all. Not once." She shook her head, sipping the hot chocolate once again. "She just vanished... I heard she ran off to be with some colt, an old boyfriend, and who-knows-what they were doing. Just goes to show how much she really cared for you..." Carrot Top looked up, and Berry Punch almost blanched at the fake smile she got.

"Go on."

"Well, after the incident at the market, you left to be with your family, and it was business as usual around here. I had the crops to tend to, and I'd stop by to clean your place now and then. I never really drank much, it just didn't feel right without you. I missed you so..." She reached across to lay a hoof on Berry's, but Berry pulled hers away. Frowning, Carrot Top continued. "Then you came back. And I realaized how bad it was without you. I mean... I was so out of it, I could hardly farm, was barely making it to market on Saturdays..." She whimpered and reached further, almost pleading with her eyes. "I need you, Berry... With you gone, I just feel so... So..." Her lip trembled almost too obviously as she feigned sadness. It almost made Berry lose it. Roughly, she scooted away from the table, made her way towards the front door.

"Wh-where are you going?" Carrot Top called, following after her.

"I need some answers." Berry Punch said in a low tone.

"F-from who? You can't believe what SHE-"

"Not from Raindrops. And not from you." Berry Punch pulled the door open, grimacing at the chill bite in the air.

"Then who?"

"I think it's time I paid Lush a visit."