• Published 3rd Jul 2016
  • 901 Views, 19 Comments

Rarity and the Phantoms of the Midsummer Theatre - Catrina37



Rarity puts her detective hat back on when Discord is framed for sabotage at the Midsummer Theatre. With Megan's help, she'll crack the case wide open.

  • ...
 19
 901

The Game's a Hoof

Ch. 7: The Game’s A Hoof

Moments after the trio split, Luna's Moon and Stars disappeared, and Celestia's sun rose high in the sky, signaling that morning came to Equestria.

In Bridleway, Megan looked around for the address on the business card as she passed by every pony that walked by. Megan grew tired, feeling as though she could sleep on the sidewalk. Her energy however lifted when she finally found the Shining Star Talent Agency.

“Good. I’m here,” Megan said.

When Megan goes inside, she sees unicorns talking on phones and writing messages on their desks, and an earth pony interviewing a Pegasus.

Out of nowhere, a big unicorn with a mustache pops in front of her.

“Welcome to the Shining Star Talent Agency!” he said, “I’m Talent Search, owner and head of the business. How can I help you?”

“I’m here about the disaster at the Midsummer Theatre,” Megan said, “I saw someone there cutting rope off of a sandbag, and he gave this business card to a pony named Cabelleron.”

Megan hands Talent Search, and he examined it.

“It’s one of our cards alright, but none of my ponies would ever commit such an act. That would be out of the question.” Talent Search said.

"Are you sure?" Megan said.

"I'm positive," Talent Search assured, "Although, I had to make one of my employees an ex-employee for causing a scandal to our agency."

“Ex-employee? Who?”

“He used to manage Countess Coloratura until his shady dealings were uncovered. I fired Svengallop to prevent him from swindling more clients.”

“Did you say Svengallop? Do you have a picture of him?”

“Security does. Wait here while I get that picture for you.”

Talent Search went to the security guard who handed him the picture of Svengallop.

Talent Search gave the picture to Megan, and she recognized him.

“That’s the clown I saw at the Midsummer Theatre,” Megan said, “I better let Rarity know. Talent Search, can I use this picture of him?”

“Sure, I got plenty of that egomaniac to last a lifetime.”

Megan leaves the agency and rushes back to the park.

****

Rarity trotted through Saddle Row until she reached Masquerade’s Costume Shop.

"There I was, trotting through Saddle Row, the fashion capital of Manehatten," Rarity narrated her noir, "Twelve hours have passed, and time was of the essence. As tempting as shopping on Saddle Row is, Discord could be wearing an ugly orange in Tartarus. I finally came to Masquerade's costume shop, hoping she would have the answers I sought..."

She walked into the costume-filled store when she a red and blue-haired unicorn at the counter.

“Excuse me, my good mare,” Rarity said, “Are you the owner of this establishment?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” the pony said, “I’m Masquerade. How can I help you?”

“I’m sure you’ve heard about the disaster at the Midsummer Theatre.”

“How unfortunate. I’m friends with Coco Pommel, but what does it have to do with me?”

“One of your business cards was given to a certain treasure thief, and it had a strange scent on it.”

Rarity takes out the card and gives it to Masquerade. Masquerade sniffs the card and recognizes the scent.

“I know that scent,” she said, “It’s cologne from a customer I had recently.”

“Which customer? And what did you sell?”

It was a Pegasus. I sold him two clown costumes and a witch pony costume two days before the opening. He didn’t give his name but he had a pilot’s jacket.”

“A pilot’s jacket?”

Rarity thinks for a moment on what Masquerade had just said. There was only one pony she knows who wears a pilot's jacket.

"It finally dawned on my on who that certain Pegasus was. The cologne and fashion wear fit the pieces together..."

"I think I know exactly who came here. Thanks for your help," Rarity said.

My pleasure, Miss," Masquerade said.

Rarity runs out the store and sprints back to the park.

****

At the Manehattan Mall, Thorne is admiring the stores while on his way to Prancy’s.

“I bet I could get a ton of gifts for Fluttershy here,” Thorne said as he looked with awe.

To him, the possibilities of what gift to give to Fluttershy are limitless.

"If I can find the right gift to win Fluttershy over, we would live happily ever after," he thought.

But his thoughts on Fluttershy were interrupted when he remembered the exact reason for why he was in the mall in the first place: to help Discord.

"I'll worry about that later."

And he continued forward.

Two minutes later, he finally makes it to Prancy’s Department Store and looks around. Thorne takes a closer look at the card and noticed the word “knitwear” on it. He sees a sign with the word “knitwear” pointing left. Thorne goes left until he reaches the Knitwear Department and sees a set of different scissors. The strangest thing is that one of them is missing.

He sees an old pony coming next to him.

“Can I help you, my good bat?” she asked.

“Uh… yes,” Thorne said, “I was wondering if I can ask you something questions.”

“Of course, Sir. I am Miss Biz.”

"Nice to meet you, Miss Biz," Thorne said to her, "I'm Thorne. I'd like to ask you about yesterday."

"Oh? Like what?"

"At the Midsummer Theatre, some really crazy things have happened last night involving snakes coming out of popcorn and clothes falling apart. Some old "friends" of mine were given three business cards, one of them being from here. We suspect one of your employees may have been involved."

Everything that Thorne told the mare really peeked her interest.

That is quite a story. But I'm sure none of my employees have anything to do with what happened last night," Miss Biz assures him.

“Were any of your employees out on the night of the Midsummer Theatre Reopening?”

Miss Biz thought back on that question. That was when she remembered who was absent last night.

“One did call in sick during last night,” Miss Biz said.

“Who?”

“Ms. Polomare.”

At the sound of that name, Thorne's batty ears perked up.

“Did you say “Polomare”?”

“Yes.”

"Of course! That mare showed up a while before Discord's setup happened! Only someone like her could be so handy with scissors!" he though to himself.

Right away, he shook Miss Biz's hoof up and down, making her body shake a little bit.

“You’ve been a big help! Thank you!”

After shaking her hoof, Thorne rushes out of the store, leaving Miss Biz shaing after the handshake until she stopped a few seconds later.

****

"After our short trips, we met back in the park. We called upon Princess Twilight and the others to report our proof of Discord's innocence like a report in the Saddle Row Review... Rarity noired.

Thorne, Rarity, and Megan meet back at the park to report what they found.

The rest of the Mane 6 are also there, having been called by the trio to hear what's really been going on.

"So what is it you three wanted to talk to us about?" Twilight asked.

"We found out who was truly ruining the Midsummer Theatre," Rarity says.

“While I was looking for clues at Prancy's, I found out from Miss Biz that Suri Polomare works at the knitwear department at the mall,” Thorne reported.

“I was in Saddle Row visiting Masquerade's Costume Shop. Ms. masquerade told me that a familiar Pegasus visited a couple days ago, and bought two clown costumes and a witch pony costume. He was dressed like a pilot, and the only pony I know that fits that description is Wind Rider.”

“I found out that Rara’s ex-manager, Svengallop, was fired from the Shining Star Talent Agency after he was exposed,” Megan said, “His hair looked exactly like the one the earth pony clown had.”

"But what about the Pegasus clown?" Rainbow Dash asked with curiosity.

"Rainbow Dash, do you have a picture of Wind Rider?" Megan asked.

“I do.”

Rainbow Dash takes a picture out of her pouch and shows it to Megan.

“That’s the Pegasus Clown I saw,” Megan said.

“I asked around the mall, and it turns out, Svengallop and Wind Rider work as the janitorial staff. They and Suri must have met at the mall and plotted together,” Thorne said.

“I can’t believe I accused Discord of a crime he didn’t commit!” Twilight said.

“Don’t feel bad, Twilight,” Rarity said, “If memory serves, conning others was their forte.”

“Zesty must be in on it, too,” Pinkie said, “She’s the one who pointed hooves at Discord.”

“I should say not,” Zesty said as she walked in.

“Zesty, what are you doing here?” Rarity asked.

“When I heard I pointed hooves at Discord, I decided to investigate who impersonated me. When I saw you uncovering who framed Discord, I followed you to find put who is.”

“So you didn’t point hooves at Discord?” Applejack asked.

“No, but I did found someone in a black cloak like mine putting something in the popcorn.”

“No doubt it’s the same pony who planted the rat snakes in the popcorn,” Fluttershy said.

“I have a plan to catch our culprits, but it will take every ponies help, including yours, Zesty,” Rarity said.

“After how I treated your culinary friends in Canterlot?” a surprised Zesty asked.

“Yes.”

Zesty smiled, knowing after what she did, the past was in the past.