• Published 2nd Jul 2016
  • 1,140 Views, 75 Comments

Leading the charge. - Watercolor the Pegasus



Rainbow Dash has been fighting in the war for years, but when she is called to Ponyville as a bodyguard for The Princess, a pony named Applejack brings some troubling information to light.

  • ...
2
 75
 1,140

Wondering and Gardens.

Fluttershy stared out the window of the train, watching in silence as the trees and hills rolled by. She glanced for a moment at Rarity, who was staring at the large wooden box, which she knew was filled with an assortment of gems. Of course, only they, they being her friends and Gilda, knew that. Fluttershy thought back to how earlier that day, Rarity had come into the house carrying the assortment of diamonds. There was no doubt in Fluttershy's mind that Rarity's sudden magical burst, Rainbow Dash's constant flying, Applejack's sudden ability to tell truth or lies, and Pinkie Pie's rather strange...skills, were connected somehow. If only she could figure out exactly how.

Fluttershy shook her head, clearing the thoughts from her mind. She had more important things to focus on. Like the fact that she and her friends would soon arrive at Canterlot, to speak to Princess Celestia. Fluttershy couldn't help but turn to the Griffon sitting in the seat on the other side of the train, who was currently engaged in conversation with Rainbow Dash, who hovered just above her seat. Fluttershy was no foal. She knew that the only reason they were going to Canterlot was because Gilda was sent from Griffonstone with news for The Princess. That news being that Griffonstone had been taken over by The Crystal Empire, and wanted to unite with Equestria against King Sombra.

Fluttershy grimaced at the thought. Not at the thought of uniting with Griffonstone, but the thought of going to Canterlot. Mainly because she was absolutely terrified of going to Princess Celestia. If somepony had told her four days ago that a simple Wool Harvester like her would be on her way to meet The Princess herself, she would have thought they were completely insane.

She looked agin at Gilda, and could almost feel her emotions beginning to rise up within her. She wasn't necessarily angry at Gilda, she was just...extremely skeptical. She had only seen one Griffon before in her life, and that was when she was a filly at flight camp, and she remembered clearly how that Griffon didn't exactly have a lot of friends. Fluttershy had considered at one point making friends with her, because she thought she might be lonely. That was before the history class at her school began studying foreign history. After they did a short study on the limited history of Griffonstone, then the rumors began. Fluttershy never got involved in rumors, they were hurtful to other ponies, and she would never forgive herself if she spread rumors about somepony.

However, it was hard not to overhear them.

She remembered the mean things ponies had said about Griffons. They said Griffons were greedy creatures, who would lie through their teeth long as they could get what they wanted. Fluttershy had shaken them off. She tried to convince herself they couldn't be true. That they were just more of those silly "stereotypes" that the older ponies always talked about.

But, though she regretted it even now, she believed them.

Could they blame me? She had tried to convince herself. After all, all the history of Griffonstone seemed to point towards the rumors being true. Our history teacher specifically said that after the Griffons lost the Griffons Goblet, they became greedy and selfish creatures, and shut themselves off from Equestria.

I have a right to be skeptical of Gilda. After all, the history of Griffonstone clearly points towards all Griffons being selfish, lying, creatures.

But...Gilda was friends with Rainbow Dash.

Fluttershy shook her head. She had no proof of that. After all, Griffons would do anything to get what they wanted. Perhaps even fake a friendship.

"GUYS!!"

Fluttershy was shaken from her thoughts as she was pulled against the train window by Pinkie Pie. "Do you guys see what I see?" The pink pony said with excitement. In the seat across from Fluttershy, Rarity let out a gasp. "Canterlot! Oh, it's more beautiful than I imagined."

Fluttershy stared out the window in silent awe as the city came into view. The castle towers rose above the rest of the town, and the small bits of the stained glass windows that could be seen shimmered in the sunlight. It was all beautiful.

The train slowed to a stop, and the doors slid open. Fluttershy got out of her seat, and was almost run over as Rarity headed for the doors. Fluttershy shook her head as she followed. As soon as Rarity stepped off the train, she let out another gasp of excitement.

"Oh, it's simply amazing! We have to check out some of the shops. All the boutiques, and I hear there's some great restaurants on Restaurant Row! Oh, we simply must-"

"Calm down, Rarity."

Fluttershy turned and saw Rainbow Dash had gotten off the train, and hovered just above the ground next to Gilda. "We're here for one reason."

Rarity cleared her throat, suddenly deciding that the patch of dirt at her hooves was very interesting. "Well, yes, of course."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy walked across the pristine tile, the clopping of her hooves echoing through the long hallways. She let out a tense sigh. She had been walking through here for what felt like hours. After they had talked with Princess Celestia, Fluttershy had gone off to the little fillies room, and had been unable to find her way back.

Fluttershy thought back to what had happened when the talked with The Princess. When they entered the throne room, she was delighted to see them. At least...she seemed delighted. It was hard to tell with a Princess who had the universe's best poker face. After Gilda had explained how Griffonstone had been conquered by The Crystal Empire, Princess Celestia had simply nodded, and called for her secretary to plan a time for her to organize a way to take back Griffonstone. Than after a long discussion about the progress that had been made with The Elements, that was when Fluttershy had left.

She had thought a conversation about uniting with another country would have been more eventful.

Fluttershy finally came to the end of the hallway and found herself facing double doors. She shrugged, and pushed the doors open. She stepped through and found herself in a garden. Under her feet was a small dirt path that stretched through the flower beds and under the tall trees. "Well, this definitely isn't it." Fluttershy turned and placed her hoof on the door, but stopped as a sound caught her ear. It was a birds chirping. Singing a lone tune that was beautiful nonetheless. "Well..." she said, slowly lifting her hoof off the door. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look around for a little bit."

She started down the small dirt path, following the song. She heard the tune get louder, and began to quicken her pace. She finally stopped, and looked up. In the tree above her, there was a single canary. It looked down at her and chirped. Fluttershy smiled. It almost sounded like it was talking to her.

The bird spread its wings and flew down to Fluttershy. It perched upon her nose, and chirped again. Fluttershy chuckled softly. "Why hello little one. I liked your song."

Fluttershy could've sworn she saw that canary smile.

The bird chirped again, and spread its wings. It began to fly away from the path and further off into the garden. It stopped a little ways away and turned to Fluttershy. It flew towards her, and chirped again. Fluttershy stared at the little canary. "Are you trying to get me to follow you?"

If she didn't know any better, she would've been sure that bird nodded.

The canary flew off again, and this time Fluttershy flew after it. The bird wove through the trees for a distance, before stopping in a small clearing. Fluttershy landed right in the middle, with the little bird right in front of her. The bird chirped and flew into one of the trees around her.

Fluttershy stood still for a moment in the silent clearing, until a single sound caught her ear. The tree that the bird had flew into was rustling. Then the tree next to it rustled. And the next, and the next, and the next, until every tree around her was rustling.

Suddenly, birds began flying out of the trees. They flew into the air, and circled around Fluttershy. Then squirrels came from the holes in the trees, and bunnies came from the bushes.

Fluttershy stood still, afraid that if she moved they would run away. The animals stared at her, almost...smiling.

Fluttershy blinked, slowly bringing her out to the bunny in front of her. It hopped closer to her hoof, before snuggling against it.

Fluttershy blinked in shock, as the other animals came closer to her. Fluttershy slowly lay down, as a few birds perched on her head, and some squirrels crawled on her back. She smiled wide. All the little animals were all so friendly. She even looked like they were smiling. And all their cute little chatters almost sounded like tiny voices.

Wait...

Fluttershy shot up. The animals stared at her, a few cocking their heads. One little squirrel came up to her, and stared at her, before looking back at the other animals.

What do you think is wrong?

Fluttershy took a step back. No. She thought. That...that can't...

Who knows. I hear some ponies get scared of everything.

Fluttershy began backing up slowly. A few animals moved closer to her. It's all in your head, Fluttershy. After all...animals can't...

Shouldn't we try to figure out what's wrong?

Fluttershy bolted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy ran into the room screaming. The heads of four ponies and one Princess turned as the butter Pegasus almost tackled Rarity. Fluttershy continued to breath heavily, muttering incoherently.

"What's wrong, Fluttershy?" Pinkie Pie said, crouching next to the crying Pegasus.

Fluttershy continued to pant, as her muttering became louder, yet still unclear.

"Fluttershy, it's alright." Rainbow Dash said, hovering over her friend. "Calm down."

"Just tell us what happened, sugarcube." Applejack said softly, gently rubbing Fluttershy's back.

Fluttershy lifted her head slightly, a panicked look in her eyes. "I-I-I...oh..."

"Everything's alright, Fluttershy." Rarity said, gently stroking her friends mane. "Just tell us what happened."

Fluttershy looked up, and whimpered. "I...I think...I think I found the voices."

Author's Note:

Hello everypony:twilightsmile: I apologize again for the late chapter. I know I said lat time we would see more Gilda this chapter, and I tried to work in a scene of Fluttershy and Gilda, but it either didn't work from a story standpoint, made the chapter feel bulky, or ended up feeling short and lazy. So, I cut it completly. I hope to have some Gilda soon.

That being said, we are only about 4-5 chapters away from the climax:pinkiehappy: I am really looking forward to writing it, and I hope you all are excited to read it. cough cough King Sombra boss fight cough cough