• Published 21st Jun 2012
  • 870 Views, 18 Comments

Secrets of the Everfree forest - King Beardo



The Everfree forest holds more than just animals and odd weather patterns, it seems.

  • ...
8
 18
 870

Chapter 2: A New Body

Secrets of the Everfree Forest

Chapter 2 : A New Body

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canterlot Royal Infirmary

10 hours after ‘incident’

NIght Echo’s Room

WHAT!

As panic had set in I was trying to thrash about to get loose from the table\bed. Yelling out for help, & cursing, I had lost it. It turned from rage to sorrow to anger and then to acceptance. All in a span of about 5 minutes. I settled down, “Okay, why am I human?” I ended up just simply asking the now terrified nurse, I felt guilty after I saw her. “Um.. look I’ve had a kinda bad last two days I’m really....”,when I looked at her she nearly leapt back, she almost ‘squeed’ in joy when the door opened, and a human walked in.

“Is everything okay in here?” The same masculine voice from before had returned.

“Um.... he’s......uh......I need a break, can you watch him please?” she immediately replied back.

“I don't see why not, plus I need to speak with him alone anyways.”

As the nurse darted out of the room, I was inspecting this ‘human’ for he was the first real one I have ever seen, only seeing pictures in old books. He was tall, he didn’t have a coat of fur, just a mane. He wore what looked like a fairly expensive set of armor, almost regal looking. He couldn't have been over 30 years of age by the way his ‘skin’ looked. Out of all of the features that caught my eye was his forelegs, he wasn’t using them to stand or walk, it was weird, almost creepy.

“Sooooo, how are you taking in the new form?” he asked me, breaking the long silence that had filled the room.

“Um... well I freaked out which is what you heard awhile ago, and-------”

“No, not how you reacted to it, but how are you taking it in? Does it feel natural, or is it like one big prosthetic body part?” This question caught me off guard. I then tried to move, but to no avail.



“Well, if I could move I would tell you.” I told him unamused. He chuckled and walked over to the side of the bed and started to undo the restraints one by one starting with my arms. I pulled my arms up to examine them and sighed, ‘well, this isn’t so bad, I mean.....’ I trailed off in my own thoughts. A loud snapping sound pulled me out of my daydream. When I looked at the human his ‘fingers’ were moving in an odd manner and each time they moved, they released a loud snapping noise. I instantly tried to replicate this hoof---- I mean, ‘hand’ gesture, only succeeding in moving my digits around awkwardly while getting frustrated, I quickly dismissed the idea.

“Ah, how rude of me, I’ve forgotten to introduce myself! I am Prince Kylios of Rea’Deagias.” He said with a smile, “And you are Lieutenant Night Echo, I presume; the new Captain of the ‘Descendants of Harmony’?” and that's when it hit me, I had not seen my squad mates since the battle, but of course I knew what had come of Stampede, “Don’t worry, your squadmates are fine Night Echo, but we are sincerely sorry for your loss of Captain Apple Stampede, we tried to help but the parents would not let us near his body.” He stated with a slight frown.

‘I couldn’t save him....’, I silently thought to myself, I had failed again and now Captain died for my insolence. Then something caught my attention, ‘did he just read my mind?’I looked at him in disbelief, “How did you know what I was thinking?” I’ve heard of the Alicorn Princesses ability to use telepathy to read minds, but I honestly never believed a human could do it.

The prince picked up on his questions and changed topics, “Erm...about the question you asked earlier, how did you become a human? Simple, to keep you alive, I had to give you a human form since your pony body was seconds away from death, I mean you were hit with three arrows in the chest.”

The sudden change in topics confused me, but I let it go. I looked at my current form and wondered, “Wait, how long will I be in this human body?” I was getting antsy about my team but I ‘trusted’ this human, hell I’m human now so why not, “I don’t want to be out of the game for too long, and I need to apologize to Applejack....” Dammit, one of the many things I wasn’t good at was sending condolences to parents and other loved ones.

“I was worried that you’d ask about that. I don’t know, it can be temporary or permanent, but the fact is that I have no control over the amount of time you will be in that form. It did manage to save your life though, and usually that’s uncommon.”

“Oh, well I guess I owe you one then, heh.” I said trying to clear out the grim mood that permeated throughout the room. All of a sudden the door swung open.

One particular lavender colored mare ran in, “NIGHT YOU’RE AWA-wha?” I looked over and saw my mother looking at me with piqued curiosity, “Honey, i- is it you?”, she said unsure if she should leave or stay.

“Yeah, it’s me.” GREAT, now the only true family member I’ve ever had felt awkward around me, “I know, I’m hideous.” Kylios looked at me indignantly as if I insulted him directly.

Mother picked up on his expression, “Oh no hun, still as handsome as ever!” I reached over and gave her a hug, “Mom, it’s really good to see you.” I managed to say through choked back tears. “I need to know though, how is Ms. Applejack?” Mother sighed at the question,”She’s doing okay, but she requested to see you as soon as possible.” I facepalmed at this, Applejack was like a second mother to me. During my youth when mother had to work late Applejack would take care of me with the help of Applebloom, (who was 16 at the time) Stampede was always there but he was too old to play with me, but he too loved me like family as every other Apple did. So it's safe to say that sending condolences to Applejack was like telling your own mother that your older brother died in battle...

Mother and I sat there for hours talking, just having a good conversation; we spoke about Stampede, watching Rainbow Dash become the Captain of the Wonderbolts, about how Mother missed her little #1 assistant Spike, I kept choking up at times while I reminisced about my childhood, back when I had it good as a young colt. Spike played a huge part in my childhood, if Applejack couldn't watch me it was Spike; in a way Spike was the father I never had even though my real one was always around to taunt me or be cruel, as a matter of fact if I remember correctly Spike kicked his ass once for making me cry, he would always made sure my birthday parties were just how I wanted them, always bought me what I wanted for my birthdays even if I didn't tell him what I wanted, he somehow always knew. It broke my heart the day he vanished when I was a colt..... Mother did a good job as a single mother of two (with Applejack's and Spike's help of course); my brother and me, she taught us well and wouldn’t of had any other mare to be our mother...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Few Hours Later

Prince Kylios spoke up again for the first time in hours, “OH, I almost forgot, please meet my friend and your new Vice-Captain!” The prince did a bow and walked out of the doorway, and to my surprise a two-legged behemoth trudged through the door clad in full plate armor that even covered it's....tail?

“Wow....” , was all i could force out in awe of this monster. It looked at mother and took a step back in surprise, “Twilight, is that really you, or am I seeing things again Kylios? the Beast bellowed, as mother took a step back in fear.

“No, it’s really her, and I’d like to know who this is Kylios.” I answered, dizzily standing up between mother and the behemoth.








The prince chuckled, “Night Echo, I’d like you to meet Arkus.”