• Published 28th Jun 2016
  • 2,843 Views, 32 Comments

Through the Looking Glass (revised edition) - X3n0heart



Finding solace can be hard to do but when Sunset Shimmer comes across someone in need, a spark begins to grow inside her.

  • ...
4
 32
 2,843

Those in Glass Houses

Author's Note:

This is a rewrite of my story "Through the looking glass." I have changed a lot of things yet mostly kept the same tone that I am going for. Please enjoy this first chapter and if you'd like to read the original one you can check it out here. Thank you.

Sunset Shimmer: the name used to bring fear to those who heard or spoke it, now it's just something to laugh at or to mock in one way or another. Things change so fast nowadays that it can be mind boggling. Hearing the sixth period bell go off I turn my eyes towards the window that my desk was next to as the corners of my mouth pull down into a frown. As every other student left the room my gaze stayed on the dark gray clouds approaching slowly from the east. Just great. I thought to myself as I placed my chin in one of my hands resting the elbow on the desk. Of all days that I had to walk home it just had to start raining.

Sighing to myself, I gathered my belongings and proceeded to exit the classroom doing my best to try and not make eye contact with anyone. When I did all they would do is glare at me or make snide remarks under their breath. It didn't take me long to get to my locker and put my things away for the last class of my day was gym. As I placed the last of my books into the locker my hand hovered over the book that Princess Celestia gave me a while back as I hesitated for a moment before shutting the locker and heading down towards the girls locker room.

As I made my way down the hallway I overheard some students talking and I recognized one voice that was louder than the rest. Stopping at the corner to another hallway that spread off to the left I took a peak around the wall to see what was going on. It didn't really surprise me that some of the other girls were once again picking on her as my breath caught in my throat as I laid my eyes on her.

"Why do you even talk like that?" One of the girls teased.

"Yeah, like, it totally is sooo annoying." Another one agreed with the first.

"Trixie believes that you'll never understand so Trixie has nothing to say to you." She was doing her best to hold her composure but from the look in her eyes I could tell that if they keep it up she will crack. A bell went off and I spotted one of the clocks in the hallway and growled quietly to myself as I turned and bolted for the gym. Thoughts of wanting to go back to help Trixie with those bullies floated through my brain as I made my way into the locker room just in the nick of time as the second bell went off.

Forty minutes of agonizing failure and laughs for I was not very good at this volleyball thing. As I changed back into my clothes in the locker room I once again over heard some of the girls talking about Trixie and picking fun at her. Clenching my teeth I grabbed my bag and made my way over to them and stood in front the two girls.

"What?" One of them said as she gave me a nasty look.

"Why do you always pick on her?" I demanded as I stared into her eyes.

"What's it to you? Not like you're friends with her." She smirked.

"Not like you have any friends here anyways." Her friend added as they gave each other a look of "you tell her".

"So what if we are not friends. You shouldn't pick on people that are different."

"Oh please. Like you have room to talk, Ms. She-devil." The girls laughed as I balled my hand into a fist and decided to leave before my temper got the best of me. Making my way back towards the locker I noticed Trixie leaving the school in a rush and wondered if everything was okay. Opening the locker I sighed to myself, grabbing the books I needed for the weekend and as I took Celestia's book in my hands my thoughts took a different turn. Turning to the last page I just shook my head as I stared at the emptiness that it brought.

"It's alright, Sunset. She's probably just busy with being a princess and will write back soon." I told myself as I slid the book into my bag before shutting my locker. I better hurry up... I thought as I headed out of the school and looked up at the ever darkening sky. Hopefully I could make it home before it started to rain as I walked along the streets, going over some notes in my head as every so often my thoughts would drift to the book in my bag. "Stop worrying about her." I told myself once again as I made a left down a dirt path. It was a short cut through the park that I often took to get home quicker. Speed was the key here.

A crack of thunder made me jump back almost ten feet as it shattered my thoughts and brought me back to reality. Wow that sounded close, I thought as I clutched my chest while trying to get my breathing under control, noticing the dark clouds moving rapidly over me. I really needed to hurry now so I picked up the pace along the trail but it wasn't long before I stopped once more, turning my head slightly to the left. I heard a soft sound like a small animal crying for help and it perked my curiosity.

I waited a few minutes and moved towards the direction that I thought it could be coming from slowly for I did not want to scare whatever was making that sound. As I drew closer the sounds became more clearer and I would recognize it as someone crying softly which I thought was strange but nevertheless my curiosity got the better of me and I pushed forward. Just then the first few drops of rain began their beautiful melody upon the earth.

Great. Just great... I thought as I stood there for a moment and sighed in utter disappointment. As the rain started to get heavier I pushed forward through the trees to where I thought I heard the sound coming from for I could not hear it anymore due to the rainfall. Reaching a small clearing I noticed someone sitting on their knees in the dirt which was rapidly turning into mud. Some of their things were scattered about around them as they remained mostly still.

I wasn't sure as what to do in this case for I really had no experience with dealing with other peoples problems or comforting them in any way. I was best at just using people to get whatever I wanted. Taking a deep breath I figured that now was a good time as any and stepped from around the tree.

"Umm, are you okay?" I called out as I took a few steps closer to them. It was still a bit unclear who it was but from the shape of the clothes I assumed it was a girl. I was right as she turned her head looking over her shoulder towards me for a brief moment before turning back with her reply.

"Did you come to torment the Great and Powerful Trixie as well?" she asked almost accusingly. It was her voice that caught me off guard and I stopped in mid step as my body froze up. Oh my gosh it's her! Umm what do I do? What do I say? Oh ohh. Think Sunset think! The thoughts ran through my head as my heart started to beat faster and faster with each second that passed by while the thoughts continued to swirl around my head a million miles an hour and it wasn't until she moved slightly reaching for some of her things that brought me back down to earth.

"No, of course not." I said softly as I stepped closer to her my nerves getting to me as I trembled slightly. This was the first time we've actually ever talked to each other and I did not want to screw it up. It's not like I liked Trixie, well that's not true. There's this certain fascination about her that I couldn't explain which would draw me towards her but I never pursued it, always pushing myself away from those feelings.

I started picking up her scattered things trying to untangle my thoughts as the rain continued to pour down on the two of us it's constant drumming giving the scene some slight background music. Taking up her bag I started to place her stuff back into it as she spoke to me once more.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie doesn't need any help." She stated as I placed her bag in front of her and squatted down to face her directly. Her eyes were red and she didn't move much as she looked back at me still with that determination in her eyes even though I could see the pain clearly as she did her best to hide it.

"Are you okay? Is there anything I can do for you?" I offered as she turned away from me her eyes drifting towards her rain soaked bag.

"Trixie said she doesn't need any help. Trixie is....Trixie is...." And then she broke down, placing her hands over her face as she cried. It broke my heart to see her like this. Trixie was always so boastful and charismatic with her head always held up high that seeing her like this you could not pity her. Do something! Now's your chance! I told myself as I hesitated just watching her cry before me.

"Come here..." I told her as I moved a bit closer and that's when she threw her arms around my neck and held me tight, still crying from whatever happened to her. A strange feeling bubbled up inside of me and I could feel my face heat up as I wrapped my arms around her bringing her closer to me.

"What happened?" I asked as we sat there in the rain and mud, not really caring about any of it. I was just really glad that it wasn't cold out.

"I was on my way back to school for I forgot my notes to study for the test when these girls decided to block my path." She was sniffing between every other word as I let her continue. "They wouldn't let me pass through and then started to make fun of me and the way I talk." I could feel her press against me as she related the events. "So I tried to push my way through and that's when they stopped me and yanked my bag away from me. They dumped everything out before knocking me to the ground and kicking me."

It hurt me to hear her tale and I held her as close as I could as she continued to let it all out. I noticed a slight bruise forming on her leg and it made me grit my teeth as I tried to figure out which one of those girls would do something like this to her. Another crack of thunder sounded like a thousand drums boomed over head and my back stiffened as I gave a slight squeak. Trixie pulled back slightly, a soft smile appearing on the corner of her lips.

"What?" I asked her, then added, "thunder is a bit...scary..." I trailed off, turning away from her. A quiet giggle was heard as I turned to face her again. She was blushing, which was another rare sight to see and it made those butterflies in my stomach flutter uncontrollably. I placed my left hand on her right cheek and brushed away the tears/rain water as she closed her eyes and leaned into the palm of my hand. Trixie reached up and placed her right hand on top of mine and I just smiled.

It seemed to calm my thoughts and I was a bit more level headed now than I was not so long ago. She sat there for a moment taking comfort in my touch and I could tell that she wasn't crying anymore. Good job! Now to get out of this rain. I thought as I slowly got up holding my hand down towards her with a smile upon my face. Trixie had a gentle touch as she placed her hand in mine and I helped her up. I grabbed her bag as she hobbled for a moment before I placed her arm around my shoulders.

"How's that leg of yours?" I asked her as we slowly started walking back towards the path.

"It hurts but it'll be fine. Don't think it's broken or anything like that." She said as both of us made it to the path.

"Well I don't live far from here and it'd be best to get out of this rain as soon as possible before we get sick. Would you like to come over till the rain stops at least?" I offered.

"That sounds great. Plus I don't think I would be able to make it home on this leg." The way back home was pretty quiet, save for the continuous song and dance of the rain falling on us. About half way there I felt her lean her head against my shoulder and I tried to keep most of her weight on me as we slowly walked towards my apartment. She's probably exhausted...poor girl. I told myself as we neared the complex. It made me really glad that I lived downstairs. Unlocking the door I helped her inside and sat her down in one of the chairs at the table before closing the door and setting our bags down by it. I turned on a few lights and got her a towel while she smile towards me as she started to dry herself off.

"Go ahead and jump in the shower. I'll get ya something to wear while our clothes are drying." I told her as I headed into the bedroom.

"Alright. Where is it?" She asked as I heard her slowly get up with a slight moan.

"First door on the left." I called back as I dug through my dresser and closest. "What does she even like to wear...?" I asked myself as I tossed a few things on the bed. I heard the door close and a few moments later the running water as I sat on the bed and sighed to myself. Getting up just as quickly I realized that I was still in my wet clothes and started to undress as quickly as possible throwing on some pj shorts and a shirt. I grabbed her my other pair of shorts and a tank top that I hoped fit her before heading to the bathroom.

Knocking on the door I heard her say, "Come in." and I cracked open the door to speak to her.

"Hey Trixie, I found some clothes for you and brought you another towel."

"Can you put them on the sink for me?" she asked and I gulped before opening the door and quickly setting the things where she wanted them and picking up her wet clothes.

"I'll toss these into the dryer for you." I said quickly as I made my way back to the door.

"Umm, Sunset...?" She said getting my attention which made me stop, my hand on the handle.

"Yes?"

"Trixie..." she paused for a moment before continuing, "I...just wanted to thank you." I smiled and my face was flushed but I replied with a no problem and told her to take her time. Closing the door I gathered up my wet things as well and threw everything into the dryer and started it. I started some coffee in the coffee pot and went over to our bags taking everything out to let it all dry off. Luckily the book from Celestia is protected by powerful magic and no water damage was done to it.

Taking the book back to the table with me while I waited for the coffee to get done, I sat down and started going through the pages, reading all my old messages to Princess Celestia and then to the more recent ones to Princess Twilight. Reaching the page with the last message on it I sighed to myself and decided to write Twilight, even if she doesn't respond at least I know she's reading them.

As soon as I finished writing and closed the book I heard the sound of the water turn off. Getting up I could smell the fresh coffee and grabbed two mugs from the cupboard while calling out to Trixie. "Trixie would you like some coffee?" It was only a few moments before she came out of the bathroom dressed and drying her hair off with the towel before she replied.

"Sure. I like mine with a bit of milk and some sugar please." I had to turn from her before she could see how red my face was as I poured the coffee into the mugs for us. Trixie came and sat down at the table while I placed the mug before her and retook my seat before taking a sip from the mug enjoying the taste of fresh coffee.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her as I placed the mug on the table.

"Much better, thanks." she said as she picked up hers and took a sip from it. "This is pretty good."

"Thank you. It's my favorite kind." She smiled and took another sip as I noticed the book still on the table and picked it up before getting up and taking it back to my room. I returned with my brush and offered it to her.

"Thanks." Trixie said as she placed the towel in her lap and started to brush her long hair.

"I'm not sure this rain is going to let up..." I said disappointed.

"That's okay. I can just stay here till it lets up." Trixie said as she continued to brush out her hair. I was flabbergasted. My mind felt as numb as my body as i just watched her before she looked over at me, stopped brushing and said, "Is that okay?" I must have had some kind of look on my face before I shook it off and replied.

"O-of course you can." I recovered. Relax girl...just be yourself. I told myself as she went back to brushing her hair. I finished off my cup and placed it in the sink before adding, "Oh I took out all of our things to let the dry off."

"Good idea. I'm sorry to put you through all this trouble...." she said as she stopped brushing and was looking down at her leg. The hot water from the shower has made the bruise show up even more now and it probably looked a lot more worse than how it felt but it still tore at my heart. I made my way back over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled when she looked up at me.

"It'll be okay." Trixie did her best to smile as she handed the brush back. I also took the towel from her and placed it near the dryer. She finished off her coffee and I helped her up and over to the couch. "You wanna watch a movie?" I offered.

"Sure. Something funny would be nice." I nodded and started to dig through my DVDs before finding one of my favorite comedies and putting it in. I sat down next to her and started it up and it wasn't long before we were both laughing and having a good time. About halfway through the movie I noticed she slowly laid her head on my shoulder and wasn't laughing anymore at certain parts. Looking down at her I smiled softly for Trixie had fallen asleep on me.

"You must have been really exhausted." I said quietly as I slowly got up being careful not to wake her as I laid her down gently on one of the couch pillows. I went to my room and returned shortly with a blanket and covered her as she moved slightly before going still once more. I turned off the movie and the lights leaving a dimmed one on in case she woke up and didn't remember where she was.

"Good night Trixie." I said as those butterflies shifted around in my stomach as I slowly made my way to my room. I kept the door open just in case as I crawled under the covers and just laid there silently, thoughts of the day's earlier events running through my mind as I smiled to myself. This is the start of something beautiful and new. Good job on taking the first step! I thought as I closed my eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep.