• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 4,253 Views, 29 Comments

Anything For You - Penmore



Spike has been taking care of Twilight for a long time. All he does is to see her happy and see her smile. Even if it means sacrificing something.

  • ...
6
 29
 4,253

Sure Thing, Twilight.

"Twilight I finished making dinner. Is there anything I can help you with so you can come and eat?" Spike asked Twilight's back as he waited for an answer.

"Actually, there is something you can help me with Spike. Can you finish putting away the books once we're done eating?" She replied turning around and stretching before heading to the dining room.

"Sure thing, Twilight."

It was the same answer every time she asked her assistant something. It had never changed in all the time they knew each other. Ever since the first day, he could talk; he would follow after her and help her with whatever she asked. Whether it was because of imprinting or because he genuinely wanted to help her; not even Spike knew anymore.

"What's for dinner tonight?" She asked just before reaching the dining room door.

"Vegetarian Lasagna with some strawberry cake for dessert. I remember you saying you wanted to eat some yesterday so I made it."

"Thank you, Spike."

"Sure thing, Twilight."

There it was again; the same answer he always had for her. Spike would do something for her and she would thank him. He would say those words and that would be it for the both of them. It never led to more; nor was the conversation extended. Those words signified that the conversation between the both of them ended. Twilight didn't know when it was they silently agreed on that, but she didn't bother remembering.

They sat down enjoying their meal and engaging in light conversation. Twilight was still looking through a book as they ate and Spike understood only to talk to her when in a moment of rest. It was fine to Twilight as any time before she looked away from a book would only result in questions or ponies being ignored.

"Anything interesting happen for you today Spike?" Twilight asked as she put her book down to start on dessert.

"Nothing much, I was just finishing up the chores around the castle and it was time for dinner before I knew it," Spike answered. His tone somewhat different as he had a smile on his face.

The smile usually meant something had happened but Twilight thought it would be best to not ask. The dragon would tell her if it was important and even if it were then he wanted it to be a secret. She knew better than to pry into the secrets of a friend, so she dropped it.

"Oh? That's no good Spike. You need to manage your time better, maybe spend some more time outside than in the castle."

Spike's face twitched a tiny bit at the last statement. It was almost unnoticeable but Twilight thought it no more than a muscle spasm. She began to eat the cake and found it as delicious as it looked. When she peeked up to look at the dragon who made the culinary masterpiece she found him only staring at her. His smile never left as he watched her eat; it was unnerving, to say the least.

"Is something wrong Spike?"

"No, nothing. Why do you ask?"

"Just... you know what. Never mind."

"Sure thing,Twilight."

She ate the rest of the cake and watched as he cleaned the plates from the table.

"Aren't you going to eat your cake Spike?" Twilight asked as he picked up his piece of untouched cake.

"I'm not really that hungry. I'll save it for later," he replied picking up the plate and taking it to the kitchen.

Twilight nodded and head back to the library, looking back to see Spike putting away the last of the plates. She continued towards the library not noticing as Spike watched her leave until she was out of sight.


Spike washed the dishes and put away the leftover piece of cake. It was true that he wasn't feeling hungry, but it was because he hated strawberry cake. He only served himself a slice because it would make Twilight feel better. It was always about making her feel better. Everything he did was for her and to have her happy.

She didn't notice I used less sugar.

It was to see her face light up with a smile and that was all he needed. Since the time she hatched him and they were reunited it was always about trying to make her happy. Nothing changed from that time to the present.

It's the same no matter what I do.

Her suggestion to go outside was reasonable enough. He did spend too much time inside, especially since the library was destroyed and they came to live in the castle. It was what would be best for him and he made plans to do just that after he finished his chores.

The chores are going to pile up and I'll just have more to do in the end.

Spike finished putting away the dishes after drying them and walked towards the library to put away the books Twilight finished reading. It was just another chore and it was a common one from her. It was reasonable enough as he needed to re-shelve the books the day after tomorrow anyways. Twilight, of course, would help like she always does and be there to supervise him doing it right.

Lazy, it's been that way for a long time.

He remembered the time he first helped her re-shelve back in Canterlot. It was grueling work and they both work on it for the better part of the day. When they finished and she went through the checklist she had made it was a shock to see her take down all the books instantly. He remembered asking her why she would do such a thing when they had it just right.

"That was putting them all alphabetically by title, instead, I want to try putting them according to genre and author."

That was the only answer he got as they started once more on their task. Only that time, she became more focused on the list rather than helping him do the work. Soon, it became him doing the lifting and her supervising. It was fine with him; the smile she had towards the end of it was all he wanted.

She doesn't care.

He stacked the books on one of the empty tables and started to sort them in their proper place. As he was doing this he watched as Twilight became enraptured by the book in front of her. It amazed him how focused she would get when a book was incredibly interesting to her.

It's her mess, yet, I have to clean it again.

"Spike?"

He snapped out of his thought and focused on the direction the voice came. He didn't have to search long as the voice came from Twilight. She was looking at him with concern and her book was closed.

"Yes, Twilight?" he replied putting the book in his claw on the shelf where it belonged.

"Is there something on your mind?"

"No, just lost in thought."

Stop pretending you care.

"Alright... just know that you can talk to me about anything. I'll listen to what you have to say."

Spike took a minute to think about what she said. It was true that she looked concerned and whatever it was that made her ask couldn't have been bad intent.

"Actually, I was wondering if I could go visit the Crystal Empire. I feel like taking a proper tour and vacation there."

"Vacation? You have all the free time in the world here. Besides, I don't think I have any free time coming up."

I knew it.

"Twilight? I was thinking of going there, by myself. You know, alone."

Why bother?

"I don't think it's safe for a baby dragon to be traveling alone. Let's just wait until I have a free day to go with you alright?"

Typical.

"Sure thing, Twilight."

The words stung his throat as they left his mouth. Twilight smiled and returned to her book and Spike was left to continue his work. It was the same every time he wanted to go anywhere alone. If it wasn't somewhere she could reach then it was always off limits unless she was with him. He never had time alone unless it was necessary. The only time he had never been with her was when he was left behind in Ponyville or when Princess Celestia herself asked for him.

Time dragged on as he finished putting away the books and saw that Twilight had fallen asleep. She had been falling asleep in front of books or at her desk ever since he could remember. Each time he had to either cover her with a blanket or carry her to bed. There was never any change to the same routine he always had.

She does this knowing what I'll do.

Spike carried her as best as he could with his tiny body, only wavering slightly from the initial addition of weight. He walked up two sets of stairs and into her bedchamber to set her down. She moved slightly on the bed and he covered her. As he walked out he looked back once more at her sleeping figure.

"Sweet dreams, Twilight."

Not that you deserve them.

He lay awake in his basket staring at the crystal ceiling knowing that sleep was not something that would come. It had already been a month since the last time he slept and it wasn't getting better. He tried to sleep in the beginning only to find himself staring into the darkness. It never showed on his face that he was lacking in sleep because he made sure it didn't. He knew enough about hiding such things without the use of magic to do so. Lately, he just lay in bed watching as the moonlight passed by through the window. Each day brought him the same things and each night would bring the thoughts of that day in full force.

Why do I bother?

"She's family."

She only wants me around to take care of her.

"She wants whats best for me."

She wants whats best for herself.

"She knows whats best, she's been taking care me since forever."

I'm the one taking care of her since I could learn to cook.

"Her smile is enough for me, I want to see her happy."

Her smile is mocking me, she thinks I can't do anything by myself yet has me doing everything for her.

"It's not like that, she loves me like a brother."

She loves not doing anything herself, she hasn't done a single chore for a long time.

"She's just busy, it's not like she does it on purpose. I'm sure she'd help if I asked."

I tried asking only to be ignored, the books are more important to her. She won't even let me travel alone.

"It's a reasonable concern I'm still a baby dragon."

A baby dragon with the mind of an adult. She's taught me everything she knows and yet I'm still too young to travel. I've helped her countless times and been through more than one dangerous situation. When will I be old enough? When she deems it? When she finally has no use for me? Is that why she's keeping me from going anywhere? Am I just a servant rather than an assistant? Would she even need me around if she hired actual help?

"No! She's not like that! She needs me around! I'm more than just an assistant, I'm family!"

Am I really? She's never said I was like family. She's only said she needs me around. What does she keep me around for? Because I'm family or because I'm useful?

"I..."

Face it. If she hired help then nothing would change for her. She'd have someone taking care of her and I'd be left on my own. Would she even take me on any of her adventures anymore? She has friends who she takes and leaves me behind to do the chores when something comes up. The only time she needs me is if she made a mess or wants something to eat. Other than those times I'm just useless and in the way.

"..."


The sun was beginning to rise outside and the rays were shining through the window in his room. It was another sleepless night for him. It was the same as last time, he'd argue with himself and never say what he really felt. It took every ounce of energy he had to just keep moving. He feared that if he stopped moving then the thoughts would come back. He made his bed and walked downstairs to start breakfast. Each day he came down hoping to see her at least attempt cooking once more. The first time might have ended in disaster but he was willing to teach her. However, she was never there after that first attempt. She wasn't there then and she wasn't there now; the kitchen was empty and silent and he could hear her coming down.

"Morning Spike, can I get some daisy pancakes for breakfast?"

He put his apron on and walked into the kitchen. The bags under his eyes clearly visible, his face sporting a frown and his body moving sluggishly. It was going to be the same thing again today, just like yesterday and the day before. It was bothersome, stressful, and exhausting how nothing had changed every day despite him wishing it would.

I'm tired, so tired. When will everything just end? When can I just stop?

"Sure thing, Twilight" he replied with forced cheer in his voice. "Anything for you..." he mumbled before beginning his work.

Author's Note:

Another short story that was swimming around in my head. I wanted to make it longer than it ended up being, but if I did that then it wouldn't be a short story. Honestly, it was just something that I felt I wanted to write so I took the time to write it. I might re-write it or expand on it in the future, but it all depends on whether or not it's well received.

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please leave a comment or critique below as any critique helps me grow as a writer. Have a great day!

Comments ( 28 )

Think should be a sequel, maybe Spike had enough and finally explodes or writes his feelings ina private letter and seals away but found by Twilight.

:duck: Spike was so angry he pounded me all night
:twilightangry2: Shall I call the Royal Guard?
:raritywink: Oh No Twilight Spike was quite enough for one night.
:twilightoops: Wut?
:duck: but not enough for a lifetime!
:facehoof:

I do think this story was good but I feel it ended to soon with and nothing was fix. I think a sequel or add a better ending?

7340996
Funny stuff, but you lost me.

7340921
7341005
Well, I did want to make it longer and I might go back in the future to either make it longer or write a sequel. For now, I feel that the way I ended it was pretty good. What do you think should have happened? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

7341054 :duck: Darling a lady does have her needs.:facehoof:

:raritywink: and Royal Guards are such oafs ...:twilightoops: Hay!!! My brother was a Guard!

:moustache: I need an adult :raritywink: I am an adult :moustache: I think like one, does that count?:raritystarry: Next Friday!


the conflict works,,,

I say a sequel is in order here, it's just seems like a waste of a good story if it stopped here. Very enjoyable though.

7341054

Well Spike can't keep it bottled up, he going to snaand take his own life or try or simply shut down.
I can see him blow up, but think that not the way to go with this story.
He should write down his feelings and pain and one of the main six finds his letter.

Could end up going back to Canterlot to rest with Celestia, or the crystal empire and loved by the ponies there for a vacation he needs it, and mayeb therapy as well.

7341054 I say that he should pass out at one point right in fought of Twilight or close by. At the hospital the doctor shows Twilight that Spike suffer from illness related to be over worked. Also so you don't have to work to hard on Spike's break down I feel Twilight needing a true spell.

"I think it's safe for a baby dragon to be traveling alone.

Missing a don't?

7342406
Got it. Fixed it. Thank you for the heads up.

This was very well written, with very few mechanical errors, but I must say I disagree with the entire premise.

On the show, Spike does what he does because he loves Twilight, and she has shown she cares very deeply for him. Doing things for others is in Spike's nature, and I've never seen any evidence ( except in fanfiction ) of him being resentful in any way. Still, I understand and respect other writers may feel differently about him, and this tale is a fine example of that mindset.

7342550 Besides, if Spike DID feel Twi was abusing him, he could always use the god-killing cold iron poison Twilight forgot she'd kept in the basement in case Celestia ever went crazy. :twilightoops:

:trollestia:

But on another note, this clearly doesn't work with the show, because why would Spike have abandoned the title of Dragon Lord so willingly to go back to the mare he felt was taking advantage of him?

7342728
I know that on the show he was a dragon lord and all but the fic takes place before that. Even before Starlight came to live there as evident by her absence. I'm not sure if I'm taking it the wrong way or not but with what you said it seems you want the fic to be more aligned with the show itself? That's what I got from reading the comment you left. Not sure if it's what you were trying to go for so I'll leave it at that. Thank you for reading.

7342550
It's fine if you disagree with the premise. It is a fanfic and you are the reader when all is said and done. Glad you enjoyed it.

Once I got halfway through this story and saw the thoughts in bold, I thought it was going to go to a very, very, very dark place. (Yeah I sometimes skip looking at the story tags; if I had I wouldn't have even wondered.) But it didn't, and I'm glad for that, but I do feel really bad for Spike. A sequel that resolves things would definitely be welcome.

I can't help but think that in this story somewhat parallels the situation Celestia and Luna had with one another. Not so much that Luna was Celestia's servant, but Celestia always got the attention and Luna was always relegated to the background. That didn't end well either.

7360028
Glad you enjoyed it. Honestly, I feel like I should expand on this story and I did say that, if it was well received, I would do continue it. The only problem is that while I do want to do so I have other stories to work on as well. I don't want to stretch myself too thin as I'm even working on the ones that are on hiatus. Regardless, I can't back down on a promise. So I'll put it out there that if it reaches to 35 positive then I'll go ahead and work on it. It's not that far off so I might just start working on the sequel just in case.

Please make a sequel where Spike stands up for himself...because it actually might kill me to see Spike like this ..

Well, that was depressing.

--Spade

This is how a villain is born

Let me guess, he's so willing to do anything for her and HER friends that he doesn't give a lick that they step all over him and use him like a servant, right?

When she peeked up to look at the dragon who made the culinary masterpiece she found him only staring at her. His smile never left as he watched her eat; it was unnerving, to say the least.

"Is something wrong Spike?"

"No, nothing. Why do you ask?"

"Just... you know what. Never mind."

"Sure thing,Twilight."

That was the funniest thing I've ever read in a serious story.

7342728 honestly i thought this would end with spike poisoning twilights pancakes

Comment posted by The Red Butcher deleted Mar 13th, 2018
Comment posted by Penmore deleted Mar 13th, 2018
Comment posted by DemonKingAurora deleted Mar 13th, 2018
Comment posted by Penmore deleted Mar 13th, 2018

Nice work! I'd definitely read a continuation.

8000559
Thank you. Also, in case you didn't see the sequel (Dimming Flame) is already out and I'm currently working on it.

And people wonder why I constantly rooting for him to go ballistic.

Login or register to comment