• Published 28th Jun 2016
  • 1,142 Views, 16 Comments

Not All That Sparkles Is Twilight - Stellar Light Sparkle



Twilight finds she's not the only one in her head. Can she get the person who's in control of her body out of her?

  • ...
2
 16
 1,142

09: Light Endings and Dark Beginnings

In his quarters at the Rings Family foundry, Silver Rings lay on his bed, a soft smile on his face. He was readying himself for his last journey. He could feel Mort watching him and knew his time was close, but as he lay there, he slowly wrote notes to all his family there, even little Brass Rings, his great-grandson. But as he felt a warm, comforting presence settle beside the dark, cold one that watched him, he penned his last note, placed the quill back on the silver tray, closed the ink pot and looked up.

A familiar face that was forever frozen in the prime of their life looked back at him, far more solid to Silver now than the world around him. The golden-maned and dark-red-furred stallion moved forward and nuzzled the silver-gray muzzle of his friend. Then a ghostly voice that only Silver heard said "Come, my old friend. I've come to take you Home."

Silver grinned at him, then looked to Mort and nodded. The ghostly black alicorn nodded back, his eyes full of joy at seeing the two together, and he touched his horn to Silver's head after the old stallion had rested it on the bed, a smile still on his face. With a last sigh, Silver's spirit stood up and, looking himself over, he laughed and jumped down beside his friend, giving him a hug. Then the bigger pegasus stallion said "It's time, Silver. Your family awaits you."

Silver shook his head as Mort walked away, fading into the shadows. "Not yet, my old friend. I still have one more place to go before we head for Home." He said.

The pegasus looked a bit surprised, then smiled and nodded. "Then let us go. Others are waiting to welcome you."

The pair simply walked through the walls of the room and disappeared, just before Ivory Rings, Silver's daughter, looked in on Silver, to find he was already gone...

=======

It had been a busy month after Stellar and Luna had declared their friendship for one another openly, and Stellar had spent a rare day-off with Twilight in Ponyville. After a wonderful time in Ponyville again, Stellar was sleeping soundly in Castle Friendship as the Moon slowly descended towards the horizon. But in her mind, she felt something slip into it that made her stir. A voice: one that she knew was familiar, but that sounded younger and sturdier than the memory she had. A familiar, friendly presence made her smile. Then the voice said "Goodbye, Stellar. He has come to take me Home..."

Stellar stretched on the bed, the shaking disturbing Twilight. Then a much stronger and powerful voice softly said "Stellar..." Stellar rolled onto her barrel, still three-quarters asleep. The voice then exclaimed "Stellar Light Sparkle! AWAKEN!"

Stellar squealed and shot up out of bed, three-quarters of the way to the high ceiling before she came to a hover, her heart beating fast and the adrenaline rush having her wide awake. Twilight looked up at her sister and sleepily said "Whassup, Stellar?"

Stellar then slowly descended, one hoof on her chest as she winced slightly. Twilight's eyes widened at that, but as she moved to get out of bed, Stellar waved her back. "I'm okay, Sis, I'm okay." Stellar told her.

"What happened? I've never seen that reaction from you, ever!" Twilight asked.

"That voice... the one from the arena match, you remember me telling you?" Stellar asked, and Twilight nodded. "It came again, this time with another voice. It yelled at me to 'awaken', in a tone I couldn't ignore." Stellar explained. "And I just felt something... a pain in my spir... Oh no!" Stellar said, and her red-and-gold armor appeared all around her.

Twilight sat up on the bed as she saw Stellar levitate her bags off the rack they'd been parked on and put them on her back. "What is it, Sis?"

Stellar looked at Twilight, a sad look on her face. "I think... I think, Twi'... I think I just felt somepony I know... die." Then she headed for the balcony doors as they opened. "I'll be back, Sis."

Twilight nodded. "Stay safe." She replied, as Stellar took off in a hurry. Twilight closed and locked the doors again and tried to settle down for sleep... although it was a long time coming.

= = = = =

Stellar had an inkling of who the voices belonged to. The loud one, that one she was in no doubt about. It was her grandfather/great-uncle, Canopus Star. The other one, though... she was making a wild guess, but there was only one pony who had said he had wanted to say good-bye to her before he left... forever. While she was no Rainbow Dash, Stellar poured on the wing-power, knowing she'd have to get to Canterlot before Sunrise...

=======

Twenty minutes later, Luna was lowering the Moon as per the timetable she'd drawn up for this Lunar Cycle, when the fading light of the Moon caught a red-and-gold blur as it shot past, heading for Canterlot's industrial quarter. "I wonder where Stellar is going in such a rush?" She asked herself, then she had to return her concentration to her celestial aspect, as it had halted in going down.

=======

Stellar raced over the factories that supported Canterlot after teleporting her bags into Twilight's old rooms in the castle, until she landed quickly outside the Small Rings Foundry. Noting it was mostly closed up, she leaped over the high fence and glided down towards one of the furnace buildings, one that was still lit up. She then trotted to the door and pounded on it with an armored hoof.

Steel Rings was getting ready to perform a ceremony he hated to do, when there was a loud knock on the doors to the furnace building he and his family were in. He strode to the doors, furious, about to yell at the one disturbing their contemplation, when he saw it was Stellar standing there in her armor. He blinked with surprise, then said "Stellar!? I... we... I wasn't expecting you to be here..."

Stellar moved past Steel Rings and said "I was given a message." She told Steel. "By Silver." She looked further in, to see a platform on the edge of the balcony overlooking the most powerful furnace Small Rings owned.

"By.. by Silver?" Steel sounded a little disbelieving.

Stellar nodded as she walked slowly forward. "He said Goodbye."

Steel's eyes widened and he stopped moving. Stellar turned to see Steel had that expression ponies got when something had overwhelmed their ability to process the information quickly. Then Steel got out a small piece of paper and held it out. "Silver wrote us all notes, as I think he felt his time coming." He told Stellar, who saw this one had 'To Stellar' written on it in Silver's thin scrawl.

Stellar opened it, and inside it said 'I was right, and He has come to take... me...' the last word was almost unreadable.

"I don' know what he was trying to say, especially that last word..." Steel told Stellar, who smiled.

"I know what he was writing." She told Steel. "The same thing he whispered in my subconscious: 'He has come to take me Home'."

Steel just nodded, as he and Stellar walked on. Then she saw, lying on the platform on his barrel, was Silver Rings. He didn't look much different and a broad smile creased his muzzle as he lay there. But Stellar could see the signs of Death, and that he wasn't breathing. "We found him like that less than an hour ago." Steel said.

Stellar nodded. "That's when I heard his voice again." She told Steel. "What are you going to do with him?"

Steel sighed sadly. "Our normal ritual is to say a short service, then invite Family members to say a few words, then we commit his body to the Furnace. The fires will spread his remains out amongst the new metal there, and his strength will forever spread through those things made from it." He explained to Stellar. "Would you care to say something?"

"I wold be honored." Stellar replied. "And I think we can do a little better than just dropping him into the furnace."

Steel looked askance at Stellar. "Just what do you mean by that?

Stellar smiled. "Let's just say, he's going to go down with all the dignity he can present."

Steel nodded, but still looked wary. "Very well. I'm trusting you to treat him with dignity, then." He said.

Stellar nodded, a soft smile on her face. "Just as if we were Family, Steel."

Steel's face softened at that. "Thank you."

Stellar nodded, retracted her armor, and they moved to where the others were, waiting for Sunrise.

=======

Celestia stepped out onto her balcony, ready to do her duty for the morning. The first vague tendrils of her sun's light were starting to creep up over the horizon, now that Luna's moon had descended nearly half-an-hour earlier. She yawned widely, not exactly fully-awake this particular morning, but she shook herself all over and stepped up to her mark.

Her magic senses could feel all the ponies all over Equestria as she stood there. The times just before Sunrise were often the most peaceful. The partyers from the Night were finally in bed, most of the other ponies were still asleep. Only those readying their nation for the new day were awake and, even as they worked, most were waiting for the sun to rise, an undercurrent of expectant desire to see the Sun running through Equestria that made Celestia smile to herself. It always made her mornings...

Once again, in her eternal duty and pleasure, Celestia opened her wings as her horn lit up. She connected to her celestial aspect, the power flowing through her as she started to slide it up into the morning sky...

=======

As the Sun started to rise above the horizon, Stellar stood with the Rings family as they said their final goodbyes to the old patriarch of the clan. After Steel had said his piece, Stellar stood forward.

"I have not known you all for very long, to my chagrin." She said to them. "I have been privelaged, though, to been counted as more than a friend, closer to kin to you all." Stellar smiled at them all, as little Brass Rings stood beside her, the ten-year-old colt finding Stellar's presence a comfort as she draped a wing over him. "But above all of you, the one I felt closest to was Silver. He welcomed me as warmly as you all have done, after he got over the shock of me wearing my grandfather's armor." That elicited a group of smiles from the Rings family. "But more than that, he gave me memories, stories of Canopus Star and what he was like. Not just the general of history, but of the stallion, of the pony under the armor. Silver gave me more than I'd ever hoped for... including his friendship." Soft tears slid through her cheek-fur as she stood there, relaxed but strong in her stance. "I am more than privileged to have known him."

All the Rings nodded as Stellar and Brass stood back, and they waited. But then Steel's attention was taken by one of the workers trotting up towards the group. He moved aside, and there was a frantic conversation, something that got frowns from the others as it went on. After a short time, Steel sighed and walked back to the group. "We have a problem." He told them all. "The igniters on the furnace seemed to be clogged. We'll have to move to Furnace Number three instead."

Iron Rings, Steel's father, snorted. "That's not a good sign, Steel. Silver's not happy over something."

"Yes." Ivory Rings, Steel's mother, agreed. "To have to move him... it's a bad omen."

The murmurs went through the clan, as Steel looked troubled. Stellar walked up to Steel and asked "What's wrong?"

"The igniters to the furnace seem to be clogged." Steel answered. "We can't get the furnace to light. And moving to another furnace at this stage is normally a sign of bad tidings to come." He explained to Stellar. "If we can't get the furnace lit in the next hour... it's going to ruin everything."

Stellar nodded and, as Steel moved away, Stellar thought on the situation. A flash of inspiration touched her as a wreath of fire filled her vision at that moment. Wondering if it would even work for her, she closed her eyes and tried to reach for something... then the Sun-disk on her cutie-mark lit up and she felt it: the Sun's presence above them. Stellar touched it, gently stroked the power she'd connected to and smiled in wonder as she felt it fill her again, as it had done in the circle on Mount Canterhorn. She opened her eyes and moved towards Steel.

"Steel, wait a moment." Stellar said to him. "It's just the igniters that aren't working, right?" She asked. "Everything else is ready, isn't it?"

Steel nodded. "That's correct." He confirmed. "All we need is a powerful enough source of ignition."

Stellar grinned. "Then get everypony ready. I'll set that furnace ablaze."

Steel frowned a little, but nodded and moved to get all the others in position. Stellar recalled her red-and-gold armor and stepped to the fore. When everypony was in place, Stellar's horn lit up and Silver's body was surrounded by a magenta glow.

To the surprise and slight shock of the Rings, Silver seemed to slowly get to his hoofs, eyes shut, and he walked out off the platform into mid-air above the furnace. He turned to face them, the smile still on his muzzle, and he saluted them all. Then he slowly descended down out of view and, as the Rings moved to the balcony's edge, they watched as he slowly dropped into the furnace, his head held proudly high. His fore-leg dropped to meet the others as he passed the lip of the furnace body, and his family watched him settle on top of the pile of ore and fuel that filled the lower third of the furnace.

Then Stellar opened her big wings and said in a soft voice "Utmorkhai... utmorkhai solari amborisha!" As she remembered the words Twilight had told her Celestia had used to call down the power of the Sun. Her cutie-mark lit up brilliantly as her armor seemed to be surrounded in a wreath of flame and light...

Up above, the Sun reacted. An infinitesimal tendril of its power leaped from the surface and headed for Canterlot.

=======

Celestia was stretching as she finished putting the Sun in place for the day, when she felt something she'd never felt before: Somepony else had touched her Sun and was drawing on its power. Slightly shocked, she looked up as the tiniest tendril of solar power came down towards the Industrial Quarter of the city. Ignoring protocols, she leaped into the air and headed to where she could feel it going...

=======

The skylights above the furnace opened, letting the tendril of solar power shoot down past Stellar and the others and it lanced into the furnace, causing all the Rings to move back for a second. The hardy Earth Ponies, though, quickly moved back to watch.

The furnace was a writhing maelstrom of flame as the solar power ignited the fuel, oxygen being blasted through the mix and the ore quickly melted into liquid metal. In the middle of it all, Silver Rings still stood, his body protected as the metal swirled and separated out below him. Once the dross had been skimmed off, the Rings watched Silver as the molten metal parted and allowed him to descend into the middle of it, then it moved up and over him with a roar and he disappeared from sight, to reveal he was gone as the metal settled down again into a deep pool.

The glow around Stellar's armor slowly faded as the spell ended and she shook herself, the armor clinking melodiously around her. She was surprised, however, when the Rings turned to her and hugged her. She smiled widely and hugged back.

"Thank you." Steel said, and all the others echoed him.

"You are all most welcome." Stellar replied softly.

Steel moved back, tears in his eyes. "No Rings in the history of our clan has ever had such a send-off before." Steel told Stellar.

"He deserved it." Stellar stated.

Steel nodded, but then the doors to the upper level were thrown open and Celestia strode slowly in, eliciting shock and consternation from all there and a little embarrassment from Stellar, who retracted her armor again and moved to intercept Celestia.

Celestia took in all she saw and halted, waiting for Stellar to approach. She saw the look in Stellar's eyes and read her mood: There was some chagrin, but no regret. A small amount of righteous defiance also flavored her mood.

"Hello, Princess." Stellar said to her, bowing as the Rings bowed even deeper to their Solar Diarch. "Have you come to honor Silver Rings?" Stellar then asked softly.

Celestia gave Stellar a questioning glance, but she then realised she had walked into a funeral. "You may all rise." Celestia told them all, recognising the Rings again from her long memories. She moved to Steel and said to him. "I am sorry I am a little late for Silver's ceremony, but I was detained by my morning duties."

Steel smiled a little awkwardly at Celestia's kind comment, but he nodded. "We all understand, Your Highness. Without your Sun, there would have been no ceremony." He replied.

"That's truer than normal, Princess." Stellar then added as she moved up to beside Celestia. "Your solar power was instrumental in lighting the furnace that sent him on his way. Otherwise, it would not have been able to be lit."

Celestia looked at Stellar, a frown on her face, but then it cleared and she looked at Steel. "Is this true?" She asked.

Steel was about to answer, when Brass ran up and grinned. "Yeah, Princess! Stellar was awesome! She used the Sun-fire to light the furnace and sent Great-Gramps to Elysia with it!"

Celestia gave Brass a smile. "I see. I am glad that she was able to help you out, then." She told Brass, who was bouncing in front of her, grinning up at Celestia, who grinned back. Then she looked back at Steel and the family, her face more somber. "I am sorry for your loss. If there is anything we can do to ease your loss..."

Steel and the others smiled at Celestia. "We thank you for the sentiment, Your Highness. Letting Stellar use your power to light our disabled furnace was more than enough. It gave Silver the best send-off we've ever been able to give one of our Clan before now. We thank you for being so kind as to do this for us."

Celestia smiled softly and nodded. "I am glad it was so suitable." She replied. "But now, Stellar and I have to return to the Palace. There is much that has to be done." She told Steel and the others. "Again, my condolences for your loss."

Steel and the others bowed to Celestia. "Again, we thank you for your presence and your kind words, Your Highness."

Celestia nodded, but as she turned and passed by Stellar, she said "Outside" in a soft whisper.

Stellar nodded and moved to Steel. "I'm sorry I can't stay, Steel. I'll be back later, though."

Steel nodded. "I understand. Duty is a hallmark of every soldier. Take care and we will save you a place at the wake this afternoon."

Stellar nodded, then turned and trotted out, catching up with Celestia as she leaped into the air, the younger alicorn following her easily.

"That... it was a meaningful and much-needed gesture, Stellar Sparkle." Celestia said, her words transferring to Stellar via the same spell Stellar and Twilight used to communicate with while flying. "If it had been just you practising... I might have been upset."

"I am sorry, Princess... but also not sorry, if you catch my meaning." Stellar replied.

Celestia nodded as they both headed for the Palace. "I would appreciate you asking beforehand next time." She told Stellar. "But I will admit... you did that supremely well, even if the amount of energy you retrieved was... minute." She grinned at Stellar.

"Frankly, Princess, that was almost exactly the amount I wanted. Any more and it might have melted the bottom out of their furnace." Stellar admitted.

Celestia chuckled. "Indeed, that would have put a very hasty end to the ceremony." She agreed. "We shall have to see exactly what abilities you have, in regards to my celestial body." She told Stellar as they came over the castle. Stellar had her Lunar Guard armor extend over her as they attracted the attention of the deploying Solar Day Guard below them. "I had not expected my charging you up with my power to give you any special connection to the Sun, but it seems such has occured. So best to see exactly what you can do and can't do with it."

"At your conveniance, Your Highness." Stellar replied as the pegasi of the Flying Squad rose from the ground to escort them Home. Those out early that morning had a treat as they saw their Solar Diarch flying around overhead, surrounded by the Flying Squad and with Stellar by her side, her dark-blue Lunar Guard armor standing out in contrast to the brightness of the Day Guards' gold armor. Many of the ponies waved and yelled out "Good Morning!", Celestia waving back as they flew along, Stellar staying composed as suited one of the Royal Guard.

=======

Luna waited in the little parlor where she enjoyed having dinner/breakfast with Celestia every morning since her return. She had heard from the Night Guard that her sister had taken off that morning after placing the Sun in the sky for the day. Luna was most curious to hear what had occured to make Celestia late for their meal together.

Then she was even more surprised to see Celestia walk in with Stellar beside her. Stellar stopped and bowed to Luna as was proper. "Good Morning, Mistress." Stellar said as Celestia moved to her place at the low table.

"And a good morning to you, Stellar Sparkle." Luna replied. "Might I presume that you were the cause of my sister rapidly departing the Palace this morning?"

Stellar rubbed the back of her neck as her armor retracted back into the helmet's HS-pocket. "Uh... well..."

Celestia chuckled as Stellar stood there, looking chagrined. "Stellar has revealed an interesting new development, Dearest Luna." She revealed to her sibling.

"Oh?" Luna asked Celestia, looking back at Stellar. "So, where were you headed in such a hurry this morning, Stellar? And what could bring you to Canterlot from Ponyville in such a rush?" She further asked Stellar.

"A funeral." Stellar replied seriously.

Luna's eyes opened wider, then her face steadied again and she nodded. "Pray, be seated and continue." Luna gestured to one of the cushions opposite her.

Stellar sat down, took off her helmet and set it beside her, and as they were served and ate, Stellar told Luna and Celestia everything that happened that morning.

Luna's eyes were wide as Stellar told them of hearing Silver Rings' and Canopus Star's voices in her sleep, which had led her to the funeral. Celestia also listened as Stellar explained about how she'd felt the Sun's power and had managed to coax it into bringing the tiniest amount of its power to light the furnace.

Celestia nodded. "I see." She said. "My recharging of your mana using my solar power seems to have connected you to my Sun, as your cutie mark shows." She told Stellar and Luna. "And being bathed in solar-charged mana while in the mana circle seems to have given you the ability to draw upon it as I can... even if it is nowhere near as powerfully as I can." She speculated.

"At least, as far as we know." Luna pointed out to Celestia.

"Yes, very true." Celestia agreed. "Can you feel it now, Stellar?" Celestia asked.

Stellar closed her eyes as they saw the sun-disk on her cutie mark light up again, and Stellar smiled. "Yes, I can. It feels... wonderful." she replied.

Celestia grinned. "Yes, it does, doesn't it?" She asked rhetorically. "It seems as if your connection to the Sun is a permanent one now, Stellar. And since not even I know how to sever such a connection once it has been formed, I will offer you training in how to use it responsibly... not that you have the attitude to abuse such power, but I do not wanting you to access it more than you are capable of handling at one time. That could be fatal, even for an alicorn such as yourself." Celestia cautioned Stellar.

Stellar nodded. "I understand the seriousness of this responsibility I now have." She told Celestia. "Any and all training will be gratefully received."

Luna chuckled. "It seems that my apprentice is going to need lessons from you after all, sister, unlike we thought before."

Celestia sighed and nodded. "Yes. But I am sure Stellar is up to the task she has set for herself." Celestia stated.

"As I have heard said before, I am ready, willing and able!" Stellar declared to the Diarchs.

Luna grinned as Celestia nodded, a small smile on her face. "Then we shall begin when I lower the Sun this afternoon." Celestia said. "That will disrupt the schedule that you and Luna have set the least."

"I appreciate that greatly, Tia." Luna replied. "Now, let us enjoy the repast we have been set." And Luna started eating as Celestia gave Stellar a friendly wink.

=======

Later that morning, Stellar returned to Ponyville and Castle Friendship, to find Twilight busy with Team Harmony in the Map Room. She watched as an observer as Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Starlight Glimmer were despatched to AppleLoosa, for some sort-of friendship problem. But when they had departed, Twilight waddled out of her seat and hugged Stellar to her lovingly. “Good to see you’re back safe, Stel’.” Twilight told her as the others gathered around.

“Thanks, Twi’.” Stellar replied, as they all headed for the casual dining parlor for Lunch.

“So, what happened? Was it as you thought it was, earlier on?” Twilight asked.

Stellar nodded, and looked at the others. “Okay, since none of you were here this morning for the event, I shall start at the beginning...” She told the remaining members of Team Harmony. And as they sat and ate, being served by Spike, Stellar told them all about what had happened to her that morning, from being awakened by the voices, to arriving at Canterlot and the Funeral. The girls were sad to hear of Silver Ring’s death, but amazed at what Stellar now could do, and the fact that Celestia had actually come to the funeral herself, in person, instead of sending Guards.

“That just shows how important your discovery was, Stellar dear.” Rarity said.

“And how important it was to Celestia.” Fluttershy added.

“And how surprised she was!” Pinkie stated.

“I think surprised is the word, Pinkie!” Twilight agreed. “I bet she never expected to walk into a funeral.”

Stellar nodded. “True, Sis. But she was very quick in compensating for her surprise and she interacted with the Rings like a true veteran of Canterlot affairs. It was as if she had given me permission to do what I had done, as far as the Rings were concerned... which was very good of her. It could have spoiled everything if she’d revealed the truth, or been angry with me in front of them.”

“True, but Celestia is the consumate politician.” Twilight reminded them all. “A simple thing like a funeral is not about to keep her surprised for long.”

“I heartily agree.” Rarity replied. “Such poise and quick thinking shows how fit she is to lead, and why ponies love her so. Just her presence is a comfort to all in times of trouble or sadness.”

Stellar nodded. “And now I have lessons with both the diarchs.” She said as if bound under a heavy burden. But her grin showed how much she enjoyed the idea of lessons from both Luna and Celestia.

=======

That afternoon, Stellar arrived at the Canterlot Charity Hall, where the wake for Silver Rings was being held. But she wasn't alone. With some assistance, Twilight and the remaining Element Bearers had accompanied her, to help honor Silver again.

Steel Rings was a little amazed as Stellar led her sister and the others in, but Stellar led them over to him and said "Hello, Steel."

"Uh, hello, Stellar. I, um, thought you were coming alone." He said, looking at Pinkie Pie as she started muttering to herself, eyes wide and a manic grin on her face.

Stellar nodded. "Yes, well, after telling my sister and her friends here about what happened this morning..." She began.

Twilight then stepped in. "I wanted to honor Silver myself." She told Steel. "He has been quite an influence on my sister, and I wanted to meet you all and hear about him from those who knew him best." She explained.

"Yes, he seemed like quite an important pony." Fluttershy said, as she found herself surrounded by the foals of the Rings clan, led by Brass Rings. "Aww... you're all so cute." She said.

Steel smiled. "Well... a wake is meant to remember and celebrate a pony's life, now that they've passed on, not to mourn them. So I guess that it's truly a case of the more, the merrier."

"Yes! That's the spirit!" Pinkie said, and she pulled out a strange-looking party cannon, one that not even Twilight had seen before.

"Uh, Pinkie..." Twilight started to say, but Pinkie fired.

When the confetti had settled, there were decorations and streamers and lots of goodies, as usual, but the party was slightly darker and more dignified. Banners reading 'We remember Silver Rings', and other such sayings lined the walls, and soft chamber music played.

Steel looked around, perplexed and somewhat stunned... but then he saw his mother, Ivory Rings, come in, and the look on her face said it all. "Steel...?" She said as she walked up to him.

"Uh, Mother... it's..." He started to say... then he saw the smile on Ivory's face.

"How did you do all this in such a short time?" She asked. "And it's so perfect!" Ivory grinned at Steel. "Your grandfather would have loved it. You know how much he loved a good party, and this is one he's going to be sorry that he missed."

"I had a little help, Mother, from Stellar, her sister Twilight and their friends." Steel admitted.

Ivory grinned at Stellar and Twilight. "Thank you all for helping. Silver would have been so proud to know the Rings Clan has such good friends."

"You're all welcome." Twilight said, and introduced the others.

By the time the rest of the clan had gathered, the ponies were talking, enjoying the food and fine cider, and the huge picture of Silver Rings was being signed by all those there for the Clan to remember this wake with fond memories, not ones tainted with sadness and despair.

=======

Half a world away from Canterlot and Ponyville, in the Temple of the Dark Gods in Ballistar, Turquoise and Armus were preparing for a ritual that hadn't been done for centuries, and a second rite that was done fairly often. Turquoise was standing in a circle, dressed in the robes of a sorceror-elect of their Order, as other senior sorcerors stood around her and Armus observed.

"Do you, Turquoise Darkblood, do swear to uphold the teachings of the Dark Ones and revere their secrets? Do you swear to uphold the superiority of Unicorns above all other races and do all to increase or enhance their position over all on our world?" The High Priest of the Temple asked Turquoise.

"By all I hold sacred, by all I hold dear, I swear." Turquoise answered.

"Then by the power granted to us by the Gods of Unicornia, we induct you into the Temple and the School of Sorcery. Praise to the Dark Ones for their blessed teachings!"

"Praise to them all." All of those assembled there said in reply. Several other mares in all-covering dark robes came to Turquoise and changed the regalia which went with her robes, letting all who saw her know she was a first-year novice of the Order.

Armus came forward and nuzzled Turquoise lovingly. "Now you shall grow in your power, my dear, and take your proper place amongst us." He said to Turquoise.

"As I should, Beloved, to be by your side for Eternity." Turquoise answered.

Armus nodded. "Now, we shall make sure the foal is properly protected." He said in a commanding voice, stepping back into one of the casting circles outside the main one. Seven other senior sorcerors joined him, as others removed Turquoise's robes and started painting symbols on her swollen belly. Once they were done, the lower-level sorcerors stepped back and the Main Ritual began. Chanting in an ancient tongue known as Akk-Hass, the eight drew forth swirls of dark magic from the circle, and it passed over and into Turquoise, infusing her with it's power. Turquoise stayed still as this went on for nearly ten minutes, and even she felt the sheer power of the spells being cast as her eyes glowed a dark purple.

When the ritual was done, Armus cleared the circle of the whisps of transformed mana and moved to Turquoise's side. "How are you feeling, My Love?"

Turquoise took a deep breath, then exhaled slowly. "That was... incredible." She said. "I've never felt such power before, especially directed at me."

Armus nodded. "The spells are ancient, yes, but their power will make sure that anything directed at our foal will not get through to harm her, no matter what manner of spells they may try to use to hurt her." He explained to Turquoise as they walked out of the circle, the other mares helping Turquoise back into her robes again. "If I was sure that others wouldn't try to harm her, then this would be unnecessary."

"Surely you don't think Celestia would harm a foal?" Turquoise asked Armus.

"No, I have to admit, that is one act I am sure she would never stoop to doing." Armus agreed. "Her love for foals is well-documented and very deeply-set. But there are others who might not be so reticent. Twilight Sparkle follows her mistress' ways, but her sister..." Armus frowned deeply. "Stellar Sparkle has already shown she can kill without remorse or restraint. And under Luna's training... who knows what she might be capable of in the future?" Armus sighed as they moved to a quiet room inside the outer temple complex. “One day, they will learn that Unicornia has an alicorn as our ruler... then we shall see what steps they take to ensure their dominance of our world. And for that day, we must be ready.” He said with deep conviction.

Turquoise nodded. “I shall follow your lead, my Beloved.” She told Armus with all sincerity. “I shall learn from you, become as powerful as you, and together, we shall protect our unicorn citizens from their... machinations.” Turquoise declared. “For the memory of my sister and her unborn foal.” Her face turned into a nasty grimace. “I shall never forgive them for killing them, ever!”

Armus nodded and nuzzled Turquoise tenderly, receiving a nuzzle and a nicker of love in reply. “Yes. We shall bring them to justice one day, My Love, and they will pay just recompense for the lives they have destroyed.” He assured Turquoise, as servants brought in some food and drink for them.

=======

Stellar remained true to her word and as Celestia came out onto her balcony, ready to lower the Sun for the day, Stellar landed on the balcony to join her. She bowed to Celestia as the two alicorns closed with each other. "Your Highness." Stellar said as Celestia smiled at her.

"I take it Silver Rings' wake went well, Stellar?" Celestia asked.

"Eminently so, Princess." Stellar replied. "Even my sister and some of Team Harmony came with me."

Celestia nodded. "Good. The old Stallion was a pony I remember well. I dealt with him a great amount when Canopus Star was fighting for Equestria." She told Stellar. "He and Canopus were instrumental in designing the current style and requirements of Royal Guard Armor as well, both Lunar and Solar Guards." She looked at Stellar's Lunar Guard Armor, with silver embellishments covering the dark-blue and black metal quite stylishly, the big crescent moon on the peytral making it obvious who she protected. "Not that your's doesn't exceed them as they currently stand, Stellar. You are definitely following in your Great-uncle's hoofprints in this chosen path."

Stellar chuckled. "I feel as if I've always had a fascination for working metal, Celestia." She said. "And the more I learn, the more I am convinced it is something I should follow and learn as much as anything else in my new life."

Celestia nodded. "It is always good to have a hobby that keeps our minds occupied when we're not learning or following our main course in Life, Stellar. An idle mind is a place where things can settle that should not be a part of a pony's thoughts." She told Stellar.

Stellar laughed. "Yes! Just look at the Cutie Mark Crusaders for an example of what idle minds can do." She agreed.

Celestia chuckled. "Indeed! They are a prime example of what 'innocent' fillies can do when their minds are set loose." She sighed with a smile on her face, a much more honest one than that her mask bore, Stellar felt. "Still, they have settled down now that they have their cutie marks. I was so glad for them when it finally happened." Celestia said to Stellar as the Sun seemed to halt at a point on the horizon.

"Now, attend to me, Stellar." Celestia almost ordered Stellar. Stellar stepped up beside the larger alicorn and stood with her. "I will lower the Sun, as usual. I want you to link with it as well, and see if you can feel what I do to make this happen."

Stellar nodded at Celestia, and the Alicorn of the Sun turned her head back towards her celestial aspect, her horn lighting up. The Sun-disk in Stellar's cutiemark lit up at the same time, Stellar's horn glowing purple as she felt for the Sun as well.

Celestia actually felt Stellar touch the Sun with her magic. She was surprised with the power the younger alicorn was channeling... but then again, she had already coaxed the Sun to release some of its power for her use. Plus, being Twilight's twin, she obviously was as powerful as her sister. As she lowered the Sun below the horizon, Celestia almost felt Stellar's touch beside her own, trying to feel exactly how the older alicorn controlled her celestial body. She wasn't forcing things, but gently probing, using her patience to allow Celestia to show her how things were done. Celestia was pleased. Stellar Sparkle would be as good a student as her sister was, of that she was certain.

Once the Sun was down, Stellar took a deep breath as she and Celestia disconnected from the sun as it came up on the other side of their world. She turned to Celestia and said "Thank you", bowing her head before the older alicorn.

"For what?" Celestia asked Stellar.

"The privelage of letting me feel what you just did." Stellar answered. "That was... memorable, and very enlightening."

Celestia gave Stellar a smaller bow back. "You are welcome, Stellar." She replied. "Do you think you could do it now yourself?"

Stellar chuckled. "Hardly!" She replied honestly. "I have the basics, I think, but the subtleties... Twilight did it, yes, but she was channeling your immense magic at the time. I have a long way to go before I could do it using just my own power."

Celestia nodded. "You are honest, Stellar. I like that in you. It's a trait you and your sister share in great amounts, and it's very refreshing." She told Stellar.

"To be dishonest with one's assessment of one's capabilities only hurts the one doing it." Stellar replied. "Unless others are depending on you and you cannot deliver. Any true warrior does not overstate their capabilities, to themselves or others." She stated to Celestia.

"How very true." Celestia agreed. "Then we shall continue these lessons until you are certain you can do so... and prove it to me."

"As you command, My Princess." Stellar answered, bowing to Celestia with a fore-hoof over her peytral.

"Then go. Your mistress awaits your return." Celestia said, as Luna came to the top of her tower and started raising the moon.

Stellar gave Celestia a deep bow, then opened her wings and took off for the other tower. Celestia gave the retreating figure of Stellar a smile, then headed downstairs. Dinner should be almost ready by now...

=======

The next day, Turquoise was examined again by doctors from the Temple College, to make sure her foal was unharmed by the magic. Armus waited in a room with a view of the examination room. When the senior doctor came into where he was, he rose and asked “How are they, doctor?”

The Doctor bowed to Armus. “So far, Your Lordship, both mother and foal are doing well.” He answered. “But our scans reveal that the spells cast into the mother yesterday have yet to enter the foal. It seems her natural power is keeping them away from herself.” He revealed.

Armus frowned. “Is that likely to have any effect on the foal?” He asked.

“Given the nature of the spells, I would say that the problem is that we are dealing with an alicorn here, not a unicorn or a lesser pony.” The doctor explained to Armus. “The spells should take effect eventually, as they adjust to the foal's powerful personal mana field.” He then smiled. “So, just give them time. All should happen as it is desired, in it’s own good time.”

Armus nodded. “I see.” He said back in a thoughtful manner. “I think we shall continued scanning them both every week from now on, just to be sure the spells eventually take effect.” He told the doctor.

“Of course, Your Lordship.” The Doctor agreed. “Here? Or shall I schedule them for at your home?”

“If you can do them at our home, that will be more conveniant.” Armus agreed.

“Then I shall see you both in a week’s time, My Lord.” The Doctor replied, bowing again to Armus. He led Armus out into the waiting room, where Turquoise was being dressed in shorter robes that covered merely her chest and shoulders, such as the ones Armus was wearing; ‘Outdoor’ robes, they were normally called, and showed the wearer’s status clearly for all to acknowledge and react to, as was custom.

“I take it the doctor was satisfied?” Turquoise asked Armus.

Armus nodded with a little smile. “Indeed. Our foal came through perfectly fine, as did you, My Love.” He answered Turquoise.

“Wonderful.” Turquoise smiled at Armus as they headed for the street, and the carriage waiting to take them home.

= = = = =

Later, Turquoise stepped out of the deep marble bath, to the assistance of unicorn servants, who started carefully clipping her coat for the upcoming hot season. They skillfully trimmed her mane and tail as well, then curled it as it dried into the latest style. When she was finished, even Turquoise thought she looked magnificent, a picture of unicorn beauty. The servants then filed her hoofs and horn for her, making sure her horn was as sharp as it could be and her hoofs were carefully shaped and painted to help preserve them.

When she walked out into the parlor where Armus was reading, he did a double-take and then stood, smiling widely. “My dear Turquoise!” He said, moving to her and kissing her lovingly. “I would swear upon the Codex Sorcerus itself that you are more beautiful than even Celestia!” He stated to her.

Turquoise giggled, but nuzzled Armus. “Thank you for your loving words, Armus Love.”

Armus led Turquoise to a couch and helped her get settled, then sat with her, as some of the servants started playing soft chamber music from behind them. Dinner was a casual, close repast, and Armus spent much time that evening showing Turquoise the depths of his love for her...

Author's Note:

Aaaand here's Chapter Nine! Sorry it's been a while, but you'll understand why soon.

There's cheerful goodbyes, Dark tidings from Unicornia, and Stellar gets a little closer to Celestia, as she has with Luna. And there's excitement ahead...