• Published 28th Jun 2016
  • 1,142 Views, 16 Comments

Not All That Sparkles Is Twilight - Stellar Light Sparkle



Twilight finds she's not the only one in her head. Can she get the person who's in control of her body out of her?

  • ...
2
 16
 1,142

04: Assignment and First Combat

Author's Note:

Okay... those of you who have read my previous chapters, take note:
This one contains a rather nasty scene towards the end, and includes the death of one of the characters. I haven't gone into very lurid detail, but there is what is needed to convey what happens.

You have been warned.

The next morning, Stellar slipped out of the Sparkle Mansion and headed for the City center. Something that stuck in her mind was 'you can get a better feel for a city on hoof than any other way'. This morning, that is what she'd do. She made sure to anchor a point in the room she and Twilight had shared that night as a teleport return point, just in case, and had some saddlebags of her own, with a bag-full of bits. "Time to familiarise myself with Canterlot." She said.

Most of the city was already known to her through Twilight's memories... but it wasn't the same. Stellar knew she'd have to see Canterlot for herself to really know the city. But Twilight's memories were a great place to start making her own impressions, so she followed some of Twilight's pre-Ponyville routine, such as visiting Donut Joe's for breakfast...

Joe looked up as Stellar walked in the front door. "Hey! Twilight! Haven't seen you in... Hey, when did you start wearing a bandanna?" He asked.

Stellar giggled as she approached the counter. "Sorry, Joe. I'm not Twilight." She answered.

"Huh?" Joe asked, looking confused.

"Okay, I know it's confusing." Stellar told him as she reached the counter. "I'm Twilight's twin sister. And yes, I know that she didn't have a sister, but she does now. Blame Magic." Stellar smiled at him. "Can I have two Jam-loadeds and a banana milkshake?" She then asked.

Joe blinked in surprise. "Uh, sure." Joe replied and started working. "So, if you're not Twilight, then what should I call you?"

"My name is Stellar Light Sparkle, just call me Stellar." Stellar answered as she grinned.

"H'okay!" Joe said, his grin coming back again. "So, what are you doing today?" He asked.

"Just out getting a feel for the city." Stellar said. "First time here, and Twilight's busy with Princess stuff." Stellar poked out her tongue.

Joe chuckled. "Yeah, That's got to take up a lot of time." He agreed, as he made her milkshake. "So, what are you gonna be doing while you're here? You gonna be a real big mage, like your sister?"

"Not sure yet." Stellar admitted as she took out a hoof-full of bits. "I'm already an Alicorn, so I don't have to worry about that as a goal." Stellar thought for a bit. "I'm pretty good in a scrap. Maybe I'll join the Guards or something like that."

"Not a bad career." Joe admitted as he put Stellar's order up for her and took her bits. "Your brother did well there, even got to marry a Princess out of it." He grinned. “Still, you should keep your options open. As you said, you’re already an alicorn, so maybe you’ve got better options than the average pony.”

Stellar nodded. “Something to think about, for sure.” She said as she levitated her breakfast up and then smiled at Joe. “Thanks, Joe!”

“Anytime, Stellar!” Joe replied with a grin.

Stellar headed for a table and sat, noticing a copy of the Canterlot Times sitting there. She opened the paper and started reading, as a flash of memory showed her an electronic device called a ‘tablet’ computer in the paper’s place, showing the columns of text and pictures on its screen, rather than printed. The image, for a brief moment, showed a shadow of something reflected on its surface, but the memory faded before Stellar could identify it. Sighing, she returned to reading and eating.

=======

Stellar wandered for a while after leaving Donut Joe’s, not following any true planned path, just seeing the city and renewing Twilight’s memories into her own mind. Twilight’s memories were somewhat fragmented in some ways, since she’d often walk about with her head in a book and not noticing her surroundings as much as she might. She passed by Celestia’s school for Talented Unicorns, smiling at the foals there. Although she knew that Celestia’s school had already produced the protégé that Celestia had been desperate for, she’d kept it as a going concern which benefitted a lot of under-privileged foals whose parents might not have been able to afford such a good education for their children otherwise. Twilight’s memories of the school were very short, since she never actually attended the school, having been taken her first day by Celestia herself for special tutoring. Stellar watched the foals playing in the courtyard, sighing. Something in her ached that she, even though she was a pony through and through, would never get to experience growing up as one, save vicariously through Twilight’s memories... and hers wasn’t a usual foal-hood by any means.

She made her way back to the Palace compound, the guards just coming to attention as she passed them. Stellar smiled. They probably still thought she was Twilight. She headed for where Twilight’s memories told her the Royal Archives were located. She had a tome to start filling and a career to research.

=======

Open Words looked up from the counter at the entrance to the Archives, to see a sight he hadn't seen for a while: an alicorn entering the building. He knew who she looked like, of course. Twilight Sparkle was well-known to the staff there, and as assistant Head Archivist, he knew her from long talks and hours spent researching, when both he and she were a lot younger. So seeing Twilight with an out-of-place and out-of-character bandanna around her shapely neck gave him pause to think. He moved out from around the counter and intercepted her in a gentle manner. "Can I help you, Miss?" He asked.

Stellar looked at the unicorn pony before her and grinned. "I know you! You're Open Words." Stellar stated.

Open Words chuckled and nodded. "Indeed, I am." He confirmed. "You have me at a disadvantage, since you know me, but I don't know you."

Stellar smiled. "You know Twilight well, I know." She said to him.

Open Words frowned. "It seems you know the Princess well, too, I take it?" He inquired.

"Better than anyone else." Stellar replied.

"Well, you certainly look like her." Open Words stated. "I take it that that's not an accident?"

"Actually, it's one big accident." Stellar told Open Words. "I'm Twilight's twin sister, Stellar Light Sparkle."

"Twin... sister?" Open words asked, confused.

"Yep." Stellar confirmed this time. As Open Words opened his mouth to ask further, Stellar added "Blame Magic."

Open Words sighed. "Ah. I see." He said.

"Yeah. It's... complicated." Stellar told him. "But in the end of everything, I know everything Twilight does... but I have to experience things for myself before they become part of my memories and not just hers... save for her learned knowledge." She explained. "So, I've come here to research into some topics I have an interest and some experience in, but she didn't."

That Open Words could deal with. "Very well... Um?"

"Just Stellar." Stellar replied. "I don't have a title or crown yet, so just call me Stellar."

Open Words smiled. "Very well, Stellar. What subjects are you interested in?" He asked her.

"Combat." Stellar replied. "Both physical or magical. Twilight knows some offensive spells, but I want to learn everything I can, since my background seems to be military in nature. I figure a career in the military or a related field is something I have experience with and can sink my teeth into, figuratively speaking."

Open Words frowned, but nodded. "That sort-of knowledge is usually restricted to someone already in service with either the Guard or the Mages Guild... But since you could just have Twilight give you open access with a word in her ear, I guess that giving you the same access as she has is saving us both time and trouble." He told Stellar.

Stellar grinned. "Thanks, Open Words." She replied. "So, where to start?"

"I'll get you a list of books that you'll probably need." Open Words said with a grin.

"Don't leave out the esoteric stuff, either." Stellar said. "I know every language Twilight does and quite a few others."

"Duly noted." Open Words replied with a smile.

= = = = =

Three hours later, Stellar was at a large table, her tome out, with her having copied several trolley-loads of books into it. Open Words watched her for a time, wondering why she placed the books on top of her bigger book, the gem on the cover glowing for a few minutes with each book, but he shrugged. It was magic, that was easy to discern, and it wasn't damaging the books, so that wasn't a concern, either. She seemed to look casually through the books, then use her tome on them, then return them via the panel without reading them at all.

"Curiouser and curiouser..." Open Words said as Stellar went on. He moved over to her and asked "Pardon me but, if you don't mind me asking, what are you doing?"

Stellar looked up from the book she was perusing through, her telekinesis being quite gentle now as she handled the much-older book. "What do you mean?" She asked back.

Open Words gently tapped her tome. "With this." He clarified.

"Oh, the Tome." Stellar said as things became clear. "Twilight made this." She began to explain. "Basically, by placing a book on top of my tome and saying 'Load', it copies the entire book down into itself as a memory file. That way I have a copy of them I can access anytime I choose to, without needing to come back here again." She told Open Words.

Open Words frowned. "Hmm... a nice idea, but some of the books you've copied are very sensitive. I might not be able to allow you to leave with this."

Stellar chuckled. "Don't worry. There's only two ponies that can open this tome: Myself and Twilight." She went on. "It has just about every security measure Twilight could come up with and a few I suggested, including a self-destruct if the covers are breached."

Open words blinked as he took that in, then nodded. "I should have known, if Twilight put these together." He looked at the tome again. "Mages are always so security-conscious about their spells and information." He thought about this for a moment. "What if someone was using a scrying spell to look over your shoulder while the tome was open?" He asked.

"Even if they were physically looking over my shoulder, what they'd see is text written in another script entirely, not Equish." Stellar explained. She put the book she was holding down and put her hoof on the lock. "Unlock." She said clearly and the lock fell open. Stellar opened the tome and Open Words looked at the first page with her.

He saw the opening page was a hard page that was blank at first, then glowing letters flowed over it. But as he looked close, he realised the script was like none he'd ever seen before. The letters were easily read, but he couldn't translate the language at all or even recognise any of the letters. "You're right. I know almost every modern language on Equestria, but this is something I have never seen before. They don't even really look like letters, but small pictograms made of lines: quite pretty but indecipherable."

Stellar grinned. "That's because the language has three distinct alphabets, as well as some very convoluted grammar." She explained. "Plus there's four other languages I've used to secure several other sections. The most powerful books, like the tomes you got me from the 'Forbidden' section; thanks for that, by the way. The magic in those is going to be incredible once I master it."

"You're welcome." Open Words smiled. "I will tell you, I checked with Princess Celestia before I brought those out. She vouched for you and told me to grant you access, so your plot and mine are covered." He grinned.

"Whoo! Excellent!" Stellar said, grinning as wide as she could. "Official sanction. You have to love it."

"Indeed." Open Words chuckled. "Nothing better for learning things, especially secret things."

"I wonder what my security clearance is here?" Stellar asked as she brought up another section, the language on the page changing even more radically.

Open Words frowned as he saw the script. "This one... I swear it's a cursive script that flows together."

"Very good." Stellar smiled. "This is the script that secures the first portal to the secure section. There's three other gateways you have to go through to reach the really powerful stuff, each one another language and script." She explained. "None of them are from this world."

Open words nodded, impressed. "I see. That's some security you have here." He stated. "I don't think even our security is this convoluted, even if it's more magical." He looked at Stellar. "I don't have to be a mage to realise you understand all these, of course."

Stellar grinned. "As does Twilight." She confirmed. "I made sure of that before I set these in place."

Open Words nodded. "I see you've got your sister's love of thoroughness as well as her knowledge." He commented, smiling.

"Oh yeah." Stellar agreed. "I think it was no coincidence we ended up sharing her body for a while. We're a lot alike in many ways, yet very different in others."

"Is that what happened?" Open Words asked as Stellar settled another book on her tome and started it copying again.

"Pretty much. We got separated, I got a new body out of it and now I'm Twilight's twin sister, to keep it short." She explained. "I also got all of her memories and she got mine, so we're that close it's not funny."

"Wow. Hay of a way to enter the world." Open Words stated off-handedly. "So, do you remember where you came from?"

"Not a clue." Stellar said as she switched books. "All my memories were heavily-edited so I can't remember what I looked like or anypony else from my past."

"Ouch. Tough break." Open Words commiserated.

"Yeah... but I still think I came out on top here." Stellar said with a grin in Open Words direction.

Open Words chuckled. "Glad to see you think that way." He said.

"Hey, I have a new body that's probably a lot younger than the one I had; a new family that's absolutely super, and a society where I have yet to meet someone who isn't happy." Stellar said.

Open Words sighed. "Unfortunately, there are those ponies, especially here in Canterlot of all places, who aren't bundles of joy like they are in Ponyville." He shrugged. "Their loss, I guess."

Stellar nodded. "Yeah. Some ponies don't know when they have it good." She snorted. She finished the last book on the trolleys and stood up. "So, any chance of getting down into the Forbidden Section?" She asked.

Open Words nodded. "I think we can let you in there, considering your credentials." He answered as Stellar picked up her tome after locking it and slid it into her bags.

"Oh yeah!" Stellar stated enthusiastically and followed Open Words down through the Archives and into the heavily-guarded Forbidden Section.

"Remember, don't even try to take any of the books out of here, besides your own tome." Open Words briefed Stellar on the rules. "And be very careful. Some of the books down here haven't been moved in perhaps centuries."

Stellar nodded. "I promise I'll be on my best behavior." She promised to Open Words.

"Pinkie Promise?" He asked, grinning cheekily.

"If you want me to." Stellar said back, also grinning cheekily.

Open Words laughed for real this time. "No, no. I think I can trust you." He replied. "Just pull the tassel beside the door and someone will let you out." He said, smiling.

"I won't forget." Stellar agreed, then gave Open Words a hug.

Surprised, Open Words still managed to hug back. "Oh yes, you are a Ponyville Pony for sure." He stated as Stellar moved back.

"Through and through." Stellar agreed. "And proud of it."

Open Words nodded. "I will see you again before you leave. Have fun."

Stellar nodded. "Bye for now." She answered, then she moved to a table and set up as Open Words left.

= = = = =

After another two hours searching, Stellar came across a very old manuscript written in what she recognised as Equussese, the language of the ancient Equus Empire. She carefully copied it, then opened her tome and started reading the translated version her tome now held. Muttering to herself, she found the content to be fascinating. "Warriors of the Light..." Stellar said to herself. "How very interesting... I wonder if there's any more to this in here?"

=======

Twilight was sitting with Celestia in one of the Palace sitting rooms at Lunchtime. They were discussing... Stellar.

Twilight sighed. "I'm not sure what to do with her, honestly, Celestia." She said. "I mean, everypony's going to mistake her for me at first... and that alone is going to cause trouble."

Celestia sipped her tea daintily. "Of course it will, Twilight. That's only natural." Celestia replied. "Is she making an effort to make herself look different?"

Twilight sighed. "Well, yes, she is. She's taken to wearing a bandanna around her neck... but I'm worried it's not enough."

Celestia put her cup down. "Try to eat something, my dear. An empty stomach makes you worry more efficiently." Celestia reminded Twilight.

Twilight picked up one of the watercress and daisy sandwiches and nibbled at it, sighing lovingly at the soft flavors. These and Celestia's enormous range of teas helped calm her nervous stomach. "Thank you, Celestia." Twilight said as her mood mellowed.

"You are always welcome, Twilight, don't forget that." Celestia told her. "I will always be here to give you advice... well, unless Discord or someone else tries to separate us again." She grinned.

Twilight actually giggled. "Well, I think we'll have less to worry about with Discord, at least. He seems to be making a true effort to behave himself."

"Yes, I know." Celestia agreed. "Frankly, it is a relief. One less major thing to worry about, at least here on Equestria." She then sighed. "I just hope he's behaving himself in other realities as well."

Twilight wondered what Celestia meant by that, but put it aside. "So, about Stellar..."

"I have given it some thought, Twilight." Celestia interrupted Twilight gently. "I do believe she will come to me for advice as well, apart from that she has already received. I will tell her what I am telling you now: that I feel she would be a very good student for Luna."

"Luna?" Twilight asked, a little confused.

Celestia nodded. "Yes. Despite what you might think, they are very close in temperament and in their way of thinking. Plus I think it will also help some of Luna's continuing issues to have her as a student and a possible companion, in the same vein as you and I." Celestia explained to Twilight. "And with her being your twin and an alicorn in her own right, it's not as if Luna is taking on a lesser pony for her student. And Stellar will be able to keep up with Luna's more... 'hoofs-on' approach." Celestia grinned. "I think the two will make a good match.

Twilight just nodded. "I.. well, I have to agree with your logic, Celestia." She replied. "But what about the issue of her being identified as me?"

"When things are ready, I am thinking that we shall make an announcement before the Day Court, and to all of Equestria after that. We shall formally introduce Stellar before the Nobles and others here in Canterlot, since everypony in Ponyville know you two apart already. The Royal Canterlot Gossip and a few announcements in other cities and their newspapers will spread it from there."

Twilight giggled. "I still remember the day you named the grapevine of gossip that, Celestia. The looks on the faces of the Nobles at first. They thought it might be you telling them to quit... then they realised you'd just given it your royal sanction, which made them at least try to keep it accurate."

Celestia grinned as wide as Twilight had. "Indeed, my beloved student." Celestia replied. "It's also given me free reign to insert my own little snippets here and there through various sources. All the better to control what is being said and spread." Celestia giggled. "I'd even thought about starting a newspaper with that as the title."

Twilight giggled back. "Now THAT would have been something.' She agreed and nodded. "Yeah. I should have known then that you're always keeping tabs on things, no matter what the Nobles think."

Celestia looked smug. "The best way to control gossip is to start it, then add as direction is needed." She reminded Twilight. "It's all part of your political training, Twilight. A monarchy that is not controlled by fear is hard to keep together, especially as long as my reign has been. So one must develop other ways to do so without being overt or obvious."

Twilight snorted. "Marechiavelli would disagree, but this is not her time. Her methods are designed to stifle growth and maintain the status quo, as well as reinforce the power back into the Monarchy." She shook her head as Celestia looked on, silently encouraging Twilight to continue. "I know, of course, of your plans to eventually institute a Parliament of the Ponies as your advisory board and ministerial staff... if the Nobles weren't so stubborn and controlling, you'd have done it long ago."

"Yes." Celestia sighed sadly. "But we will work at it as best we can, until the day is ready for Equestria to become a Parliamentary Diarchy, not as we have it now. Then I shall be able to relax and work for the advancement of our ponies to where we should really be by now."

Twilight nodded. "It's such a hard balancing act sometimes, isn't it, Celestia?" She asked.

Celestia smiled down at Twilight. She was becoming so astute now, it pleased Celestia greatly. "Yes, it always is." She said. "To give up control to my little ponies is to risk them crashing the system I have set up after so long, and to keep too much control is to risk stagnating the system. So we all walk the fine tightrope of politics until things truly get better."

"Have they?" Twilight asked Celestia. "Have they ever gotten better?"

"Oh yes." Celestia grinned. "Many, many things are far better now than they were even a hundred years ago." She leaned down and nuzzled Twilight. "The two best changes were getting Luna back, and having you come into my life, Twilight. Both of you make my life so much more complete and much less lonely."

Twilight nuzzled back. "I am so lucky." She told Celestia. "How many other ponies can say they had the two best mothers in the world?"

Celestia's heart and mood blossomed again with joy as Twilight called her her mother. She hugged Twilight to her. "And I couldn't want for a better daughter, even if she were truly my own blood."

Twilight hugged Celestia back. It had taken her a long time and the right moment to reveal how she truly felt about Celestia... and she was so glad she had done so. Funnily enough, Stellar had given her the courage to tell Celestia how she felt. Her sister had told her about her perceptions at the first time she'd met Celestia, and it had only confirmed what Twilight herself had been feeling. Celestia had not trained a student, she had raised a surrogate daughter in Twilight... and Twilight couldn't be more happy or grateful.

=======

Stellar was pursuing a mystery. The reference she'd found of the 'Warriors of the Light' had led her deep into the dustiest parts of the Royal Archives' Forbidden Section... or they would have been dusty if the staff hadn't been so efficient, she thought to herself.

She'd found several references in other very old manuscripts, but no real explanation beyond what she'd found in the first tome she'd discovered. Now she was going back so far that the manuscripts weren't in books or pages, but old scrolls, both metal and parchment. "At least the language in these I can still recognise." Stellar said to herself as she copied a scroll into her tome. "Some of the others... I swear there's some here that are about five or six thousand years old."

It took another four hours, but then Stellar found a box shoved under a shelf had chiselled into it an inscription in Equussese. "Kel thu madli toshen thu ekri sol jukba thu Pahl ahd Dhen voksil til beshro. Hmm..." Stellar read the inscription out loud. "The tale of the... um... the rise of the Light-filled Fighters... no, that's too literal... the Warriors of the Light and their fall..." Stellar's eyes grew wide with delight. "Damn! How the hay did this end up tucked away under a shelf?" She asked as she took the box carefully to the bench she was working at.

Opening the box revealed a scroll made of a metal that defied Stellar's classification... until she touched it. Her inner magic sense caused her to recognise it. "This is... platinum." She stated. "Celestia above me... about fifty floors above me, come to think of it." She giggled. "This would be worth a fortune... um, somewhere." She sighed as another memory vanished. "Got to get this editing program out of my head somehow." She said to herself. She placed the scroll on top of her tome and allowed the tome to scan it. "I wonder if there are any more?" Stellar asked herself as she returned to digging.

Eventually Stellar had sixteen boxes on the bench, all with the same platinum scrolls inside them. "Looks like somepony wanted to preserve the knowledge of these warriors for posterity... or maybe for future need." She said out-loud. "Still, if I'm right, there's some fantastic new magic in here that may not have been seen in... well an age or more." She grinned, then bounced around for a little bit, squee'ing like a filly. Then she stopped and chuckled self-consciously. "I have to... no, I don't have to stop doing that, but I have to keep it for the right moments." She told herself. "But sure as eggs aren't round, this is one of them."

Before she left the Forbidden Section, Stellar brought the scroll-cases up to the preservers' benches and left them there with a note. "I don't know if they need preservation, not being made out of platinum, but they definitely need to be properly categorised and put where they should be." Stellar said. "Maybe I should sic Twilight onto them. She loves sorting books, she could re-do this entire section properly." She pulled the tassel, and after two minutes, Open Words appeared as the door opened.

He smiled at Stellar. "So, find anything interesting?" He asked Stellar.

"Maybe." Stellar answered. "I have to go through it, but I've at least got a lot to study." She grinned. "Oh, there's seventeen scrolls there that need to be checked over and classified. I don't think you'll need to preserve them, though."

"Oh? How come?" Open Words asked.

"They're inscribed on scrolls of platinum." Stellar explained.

"Platinum?" Open Words looked shocked. "That's... such a rare metal, I'd never thought anyone would use it for scrolls."

Stellar nodded. "They obviously didn't want the information lost." She said. "Platinum would last for eons... unless someone greedy melted them down."

Open Words nodded. "Indeed." He agreed. "Thanks for finding them, Stellar."

"No problem." Stellar grinned back at him. 'Oh, and if you guys don't tidy up in here, I'm sending Twilight down to do it for you."

Open Words looked aghast... and a little frightened. "No! Not the super-book-sorter of Ponyville!" He said, then laughed, Stellar giggling with him. "In all honesty, that might not be a bad idea... the problem would be getting her out of here again inside a month." Open Words said.

Stellar gave him an evil grin. "Just remember... you've been warned."

Open Words nodded and smiled. "Duly noted." He replied.

"And thanks for all your help, too." Stellar added.

"Anytime, Stellar." Open Words said with a warm smile.

The pair chatted on until Stellar left the Archive. The sun had set a while ago, but Stellar's eyes could see in the lovely moonlight almost as well as a thestral could. She made her way back to the Sparkle mansion, feeling satisfied with herself.

=======

Velvet looked up as Stellar entered the sitting room. She could tell her newest daughter had just showered and groomed herself, after spending the entire day outside. "Welcome home, Stellar Dear." She said with a soft smile.

"Thanks, Mom." Stellar replied as she sat near her now-mother. "And thanks again for taking me in the way you did."

"And why wouldn't I?" Velvet asked.

"Y'know... I'm not exactly... well, I didn't exactly become part of this family in the usual ways, did I?" Stellar reminded Velvet.

Velvet actually chuckled. "My dear Stellar, it does not matter to me how you came here or who you were before... not that you can remember, either." She pointed out. "My Twilight has vouched for you, Cadance likes you, and even Shining Armor thinks you and Twilight together are a menace to society." She grinned. "Which means he likes you, too."

Stellar smiled warmly. "I am glad of that." She told Velvet. "But are you sure...?"

Velvet hushed Stellar. "You are a Sparkle, that is for certain. If you had not been meant to be one, when your cutie mark changed, it would have vanished. I am totally certain of that." She stated to Stellar. "You may have to find your place in this family, but it is now YOUR family, no ifs or buts." Velvet got up and walked across to Stellar, who also got to her hoofs. "I want to welcome you formally to our Family, Stellar Light Sparkle. I am glad you are a daughter of this house... I am so much happier that you consider yourself to be a daughter of mine."

Stellar blushed, but her face showed her happiness. "Thank you, Mother." She said, and hugged Velvet to her.

Velvet nuzzled Stellar lovingly. "Now, sit. You have a lot to tell me about your first day in Canterlot..."

=======

The morning dawned brilliant and clear in the skies above Canterlot. Stellar stood up on the balcony of her room in the Sparkle mansion and took a deep breath of the fresh air. Rain overnight had washed the city and the air clean and it smelled better than any other city she could remember... not that she could remember many. Mostly vague impressions and faint memories of tall buildings and bustling crowds that made even Canterlot look like a deserted backwater. Stellar shook her head and opened her wings, ruffling the feathers. She'd spent a half-an-hour preening them that morning, because today she was going to fly for the first time.

As she headed down to exit the mansion out into the gardens, Stellar was glad she'd only had a light breakfast. The 'Wonderbolt' meal routine, the small pamphlet Rainbow Dash had given her had said about the food it recommended to eat. Seeing the Wonderbolts were some of the fittest ponies she'd seen, she felt it had to have some effect. She made her way out to a section of the gardens that was an open lawn, and began the warm-up exercises Twilight's memories of her own flight training had taught Stellar.

Stellar sighed. She also knew the problems Twilight had when she'd been learning to fly, and she was determined to avoid them. She didn't want to do a faceplant into the ground, no way. "Okay. Flying for Pegasi involves using their innate magic. So I have to find that inside myself." She said to herself as she spread her rather-impressive wings. "Not as big as Celestia's, but she's a lot bigger than I am." She did remember a... video on how birds flew, how their wings worked, but Stellar wasn't sure if that applied. "Still, I do have feathered wings, not like a bat-pony, so maybe the principles are somewhat similar." She felt the flow of mana through her much more clearly than she could her blood flowing through her veins, as if ponies naturally had a sense for such. She felt it spread out through her body and she channeled it into her wings, feeling the whole of them come alive with magic.

"Okay, baby steps, as Fluttershy would say." Stellar told herself. She stretched her wings out, then settled them as she and Twilight remembered from the basic flight lessons Twilight had received. Somehow, she felt herself getting lighter, and with a small flap, she lifted slightly off the ground and slowly sank back down. "Incredible!" Stellar said. "I'd swear that was gravity manipulation. Maybe that's an innate part of pegasi magic." She tried it again, this time with a big sweep, and she lifted off a few feet this time. A little flutter of her wing-tips was enough to slow her descent to a very soft landing. "Okay, definitely some kind of gravity control here." Stellar said as she lifted off slowly, coming to a gentle hover and refining her control. She managed to get herself to spin in place slowly in both directions before settling back down. "Wow, the outer wing-feathers offer a lot of control." Stellar told herself.

"Hmmm... maybe if I get to the edge of Canterlot, I might be able to glide down for a while. I can always teleport back up again." Stellar thought out-loud, then looked up with a grin. "Time to Blink." She said, her horn lighting up and she vanished.

Stellar found herself a little higher than she'd thought, about four thousand feet, she estimated, but it was clear air and as she fell, she opened her wings and started to glide. "Oh yeah! This is good." She said to herself. She saw pegasi below her flying about over the city but ignored them mostly, concentrating on keeping herself flying along, heading downwards only slightly to keep her speed up. She practiced turning or 'banking' as it was known, feeling how her long tail worked as a rudder as well. Then, when she was confident, she tried a few flaps of her wings.

"Not good!" Stellar yelled as she nearly stalled, but she got back to level flight easily enough. "Okay, what went wrong?" She asked. "I must have had my wings at the wrong pitch." She closed her eyes and tried to feel the wind. Then, before she could think, she swept her wings forward and dragged a mass of air behind her with them, thrusting her upwards. Stellar grinned as she did it again and again, then opened her eyes.

She was gaining altitude now, she noticed, and past the edge of Canterlot's mountain spur. She found it was like walking, in a way. She thought about where she wanted to go, and her autopilot made the motions with her wings. She flapped harder as she thought about gaining height, and she headed upwards. She rolled over and dived, laughing as she swept and climbed on sheer momentum, then came to a hover. Stellar saw she was miles from Canterlot now, and she could see a huge amount of Equestria laid out before her. Ponyville was clearly visible in the distance to the south and, as she slowly spun in place, a flash of light to the far north was probably the Crystal Tower of the Crystal Empire, if she judged the distances properly. She was also amazed at how well her vision was. She could see details far more clearly than she'd ever felt possible. "Damn! I do love being an alicorn!" Stellar almost shouted. She let herself drop into a glide then and headed for Canterlot once more.

By the time she got over the city, Stellar was feeling tired, but she was determined to make it back home on the wing, and not have to walk back. "Not going to be like Twi." She said to herself. "I love to fly and I'm going to do so as much as I can!" She fell into line behind a string of pegasi heading into Canterlot and followed them, figuring there was probably some kind-of taught traffic control in use over the city. Eventually she saw the Sparkle mansion, and Velvet and Night Light were outside on the terrace. Stellar was amazed that she could almost see what they were eating from this height.

She banked around the estate, lining up on the lawn again, but with the fish pool to the back of it. As she lined up, she slowly shed speed as she descended, but too late realised she was going too fast. She flared her wings too early as she panicked a little, and dropped like a stone towards the lawn. "This is gonna hurt!" She said to herself as she pulled up and skimmed the lawn. Instead of ploughing into the ground, she curled herself up in a ball, tucking her horn into her belly and, wrapping her legs and wings around herself, she rolled across the lawn like a lawn bowl, hitting the edge of the pond and splashing down into the middle of it, startling the fish.

Stellar found the pond was a fair bit deeper than she'd thought it was, and had to swim to the surface. To her chagrin, she found Twilight standing there with Velvet and Night Light as well. Their parents looked worried, but Twilight had a smug grin on her face. " 'Morning." Stellar said as she swam to the side of the pool.

Twilight chuckled as Velvet asked "Are you all right, Stellar dear?"

"The only thing that is hurting right now is my pride." Stellar answered as she powered up her horn and lifted herself out of the water.

"So... you felt a water landing might have been easier than touching down on the lawn?" Twilight asked.

Stellar grinned as her hoofs settled on the soft grass. "Better a splashdown than ploughing up the lawn, Twi." Stellar said, reminding Twilight of one of her first rough landings.

Twilight snorted as Velvet and Night Light chuckled. But then Twilight smiled. "True, very true." She said "At least you won't have to fill in a hole. And you were looking good there!" Twilight complimented Stellar. "Was that your first flight?" She asked.

Stellar nodded as she shook her wings out and held them stretched out to dry. "Yeah, but I cheated a little." She said.

"Oh? How so?" Night Light asked.

"I Blinked myself up to about four thousand feet and started gliding, rather than trying to get up there normally. That way I wasn't tired out by the time I got enough air under me to start figuring out how to fly properly." Stellar explained, as Grey Stone brought her some towels.

"Oh, so that's what you meant by cheating." Twilight said. "Damn. I wish I'd thought of that."

Stellar chuckled. "Well, I didn't have Rainbow Dash on my back, urging me to 'flap really hard!' all the time." Stellar replied, getting giggles from all three mares and a chuckle from Night Light. Stellar was surprised to see Grey Stone with a slight smile on his face, too. "Thank you, Grey Stone." Stellar said to him. He gave a short bow to Stellar, then stood still as a statue as Stellar dried herself off.

"Want to go up again? I could come with you this time." Twilight asked.

"Thanks, Twi, but I think I'll leave it until after Lunch." Stellar answered her as she dried her ears and horn off.

"Fair enough." Twilight responded, and all five of them headed back for the house.

= = = = =

"Twi, I've been thinking." Stellar said as they cruised along at about two thousand feet, slowly circling Canterlot on the updraft caused by Mount Canterhorn.

"That's good." Twilight replied. They were using a short-range communication spell Twilight, and therefore Stellar, knew. "Decide anything?"

"I've decided I don't know enough magic, and I need a tutor. Not you, Sis, sorry." Stellar added.

Twilight chuckled. "That's okay, I have Starlight to worry about." She reminded Stellar.

Stellar smiled as they banked to come around. "I was trying to think of who might know someone, or could even introduce me to someone who could help me learn more combat magic." She explained. "I'm not asking you because I know it's not your forte or field."

"Very true." Twilight agreed. "Maybe you could go and ask Celestia." Twilight suggested, remembering what she and Celestia had discussed the day before. "She knows every mage and warrior in Canterlot and most of the major cities in Equestria, and she is the head of the Mages Council and the Guild as well."

Stellar considered that as they levelled out again. "Yeah. That sounds like a plan, Twilight." Stellar replied with a grin. "Maybe I'll slip in after Day Court and talk to her then."

"Yep. Sounds like a plan to me." Twilight agreed. "Now, do you think you can go in without ploughing the lawn or taking a dip this time, Sis?" She asked.

"Only one way to find out, Sis." Stellar replied, and they circled around, heading for home.

= = = = =

Eventually Stellar did master landing properly, with Twilight so pleased with her for it, she paid for Stellar's meal at a good eatery she knew intimately. The pair caused a little stir when they walked in together, but the owners there knew Twilight through long patronage, and were delighted to welcome Stellar after the situation had been explained.

Later that afternoon, however, Stellar approached the Palace alone. Twilight had told Stellar that Celestia might be more willing for a long talk if she came by herself, showing she wasn't depending on Twilight to open doors for her. "After all, Sis, you're an alicorn in your own right. You don't need me leading you around like you were a filly." She'd said to Stellar, and Stellar couldn't agree more. She knew there were times, like learning to fly properly, when she needed Twilight as example and encouragement, but there were times she had to stand alone and show everypony she was her own mare.

As she made her way through the departing attendees, she noted the Blueblood Family moving out from the Audience Room, their noses in the air, as usual. Something about them made her blood chill, but Stellar wasn't sure why. It wasn't them to look at, per se, they were hardly that different from any other unicorns. No, this was something else, a feeling of foreboding that had her combat instincts on-edge. But once they were past, she simply filed the feeling for future reference and continued walking in.

To her surprise, the guards directed her not into the main chamber, but around it, and a servant led her, with a warm welcome and a big smile, around to one of the private chambers. "I guess this is what Twi meant about 'being an alicorn in my own right'. I guess it does open doors." Stellar said as she made herself comfortable. The serving mares brought her tea and a small plate of delicacies, and she watched as they made things ready to receive Celestia for her afternoon relaxation session. She smiled as they brought three different cakes in, already partially sliced and ready to be served. She found she could even sense the stasis enchantments woven into the glass serving platters, keeping the cakes pristine even after being sliced. Stellar nodded to herself. Magic had such wonderful and yet simple uses at times, and it was woven into the very fabric of this society. No wonder they'd advanced so far without the benefits of a bipedal stance or even manipulative digits, like the griffins or minotaurs had. The ponies' control and use of magic tended to counter the difficulties of their form quite adequately.

Then she saw the guards in the hallway outside stiffen and come to attention. She stood herself as the serving staff bowed deeply, and Celestia appeared. Stellar noted that she had a tendency to give a nod to almost everyone she passed, and graced the serving mares with a caring smile. 'She really is a kind and caring leader.' Stellar thought to herself.

Then Celestia turned her gaze to Stellar, who bowed her head deeply. As she was an alicorn, Stellar knew she and the Princess were separated by only a few steps of rank, unlike the other ponies. Celestia grinned and walked over. "Stellar Light Sparkle!" Celestia said welcomingly. "I am so happy to see you again. Come, sit with me and share some time with me. After the day's trials, I shall welcome some pleasant company."

"It would be my pleasure, Celestia." Stellar replied, and sat near to Celestia beside a small table. Twilight had revealed to Stellar that Celestia liked to be more intimate with those she trusted during quiet times, and that she should treat Celestia as more like a family member than a monarch when they were 'alone'. Stellar knew Twilight meant 'Alone' as being with only guards and palace staff, since they were everywhere around Celestia, discretely providing support, security and comfort for both members of their Diarchy.

After Celestia had chosen one cake out of the trio provided, Stellar merely sat with Celestia and enjoyed time with her, eating cake and sipping tea, allowing Celestia to completely relax before asking her request. Stellar was surprised that Celestia actually discussed matters of state and public affairs with her, not because she didn't consider Stellar to be capable of understanding them, but because she was such a relative newcomer to the society, as well as being a pony in general. But then she came to a realisation: It was exactly because of that that Celestia wanted her opinions. Stellar could take a step back from Pony Society as a whole and look at it from a unique perspective, almost an alien one, in a way. She tried to give Celestia the best opinion and advice she could with what little she knew, and a lot of the time Celestia seemed satisfied.

"So, what brings you to my parlor, Stellar?" Celestia finally asked. "I understand you and Twilight have been having fun this afternoon?"

Stellar chuckled. "Yeah, Twilight's been helping me refine my flying." She confirmed.

Celestia sighed happily. "I do so love to go flying myself, when I get the chance." She said. "The air under one's wings, through one's mane and tail, the freedom of the skies..." Stellar could see Celestia was remembering the best flights of her life. Celestia then sighed. "But my duties mean that opportunities are few and far between, sadly." She looked at Stellar. "One piece of advice I will give you, Stellar. As an alicorn, take to the wing as much as you can, before duties or anything else tries to harness you to the ground. You will never regret the times you have spent on the wing." Celestia said, her face showing Stellar she was being very serious about what she had said.

Stellar nodded. "I plan to. Once I become truly proficient in my ability to fly, I intend to spend as much time on the wing as Rainbow Dash does... or as close to it as possible." She told Celestia.

Celestia smiled. "I can believe you completely in that, Stellar." She said. "Maybe we four should go for a flight now and then, as a group. The common pony would find it a treat, to see us out and about together."

Stellar grinned. "I'd like that very much, Celestia."

"Good." Celestia replied, smiling broadly. "Now, your question." She encouraged Stellar.

"I find myself trying to find my place here." Stellar told Celestia. "I know Twilight is an accomplished mage and the Bearer of the Element of Magic, so it's a natural for her. But as I told Father the night before... I am no mage like her. I can use magic, but not in the same way."

Celestia nodded. "Go on."

"The few memories that are clearest to me, besides music... is of combat." Stellar said. "Of training to fight, using weapons that... stagger the mind. But also of intensive hand-to-hand training, and use of bladed weapons of many sizes and lengths." She detailed for Celestia. "Everything about what I know says that I was a warrior of some kind in my last life... and that what I remember about that is extremely important, or it would have been edited from my memories like everything else is being erased. But I don't know how to fight as a pony... yet. Some things I remember I can adapt and fairly quickly... but I don't know how we truly fight as a race. Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth Ponies: they must all have their various styles and abilities in combat, using their peculiar and personal types of magic, or only unicorns would be here amongst the Guard. So... I need your advice in finding somepony to train me in the Martial arts here, including magic where it's not only appropriate, but everything I am capable of learning." Stellar listed off for Celestia.

Celestia took a sip of her renewed tea, and nodded. "You have given this a great deal of thought, I can see." She stated. "Have you any suggestions of your own, or anypony that's been suggested to you?"

"Actually, your own sister, Luna, was suggested to me by more than one pony." Stellar answered. "Apparently, she was well-trained in the martial arts and magics of fighting long before she became Nightmare Moon."

Celestia nodded. "Indeed, Luna is a warrior-mage of great renown, both back then and now." She confirmed. "Of course, I am no... what is the term? Oh yes, 'slouch', when it comes to combat, but Luna truly enjoyed being trained and does so love sparring with someone close to her ability." Celestia revealed.

Stellar nodded. "So I have heard."

Celestia put down her teacup, as Stellar sipped at her refilled one. "Then I would suggest you... 'hang around', as is said, until Luna awakens for her nightly duties." Celestia told Stellar. "Perhaps it is time she chose a student to tutor. I know it has brought me unparalleled joy in my life with Twilight. Maybe it will do so for her as well."

Stellar thought on this. "Then I shall." She agreed. "I would be honored to be trained by such as Luna, on any world."

Celestia smiled. "Then, please, stay. I will enjoy your company."

"I would be honored to be company for you too, Celestia." Stellar grinned at the older alicorn Princess. "There is a saying I still remember: 'Learning is Life, Knowledge is Power'."

Celestia nodded. "That sounds like something Marechiavelli might have said." She commented. "So, shall we enjoy learning from one another?"

Stellar grinned. "By all means."

= = = = =

Luna rose at her normal time, washed and was groomed by her staff, then walked through to the dining room she and Celestia used for their time together, where their shifts crossed over. But she was surprised when she heard laughter coming from the room, and from more than one pony. "I wonder who my sister is talking to? It sounds like Twilight.... but that laugh is not hers." Puzzled, she walked on to the door.

Inside, she saw Celestia and somepony she thought was Twilight, until she saw the cutie-mark and realised this was Stellar Light, Twilight's new sister. She smiled at the look of happiness and aura of joy coming from her sister as she entered the room fully. "Luna!" Celestia said as she got to her hoofs and moved to Luna. Luna was surprised when Celestia actually moved right up to her and nuzzled her tenderly. If Luna could have purred like a cat, she would have. Instead, she nickered softly and returned her sister's loving gesture. "Dearest Sister, I am so pleased to see you." Celestia told Luna. "Did you sleep well?"

"Very well, dear Celestia." Luna replied, happiness infusing her tone. "You seem very happy this evening." She turned to Stellar, who was standing, head bowed, as all the staff were bowing to her, heads close to the floor. "You may all rise." Luna said, her presence at this time overshadowing Celestia's naturally, since she was the dominant Princess after Dusk. As the staff rose to their hoofs, Luna turned to Stellar and said "And welcome to you too, Stellar Sparkle."

"Thank you, Princess Luna." Stellar replied.

"Please, you may omit our title in our presence." Luna told Stellar. "Save for when and where it is entirely appropriate, of course." As they all sat, Luna smiled at Stellar. "Am I to correctly assume you are the cause of my sister's jovial mood this evening?" Luna asked Stellar, although she was looking at Celestia's beaming face. "Surely, she is as happy as if she had been personally visited by Pinkie Pie."

Stellar chuckled. "We've been sharing stories and knowledge." Stellar answered Luna.

"And having a grand time doing so!" Celestia exclaimed, still radiating happiness.

Luna was grinning herself. She hadn't seen Celestia so happy from an afternoon of conversation in ages. "So, shall you enlighten me as to if anything substantial has come of this afternoon of delightful anecdotes and tales?"

"Indeed." Celestia answered. "Stellar has a request for you, dear Luna."

Luna looked at Stellar. "Indeed?" She asked.

"Yes, I do." Stellar replied, getting serious. "Luna, would you teach me everything you know about combat, both physical and magical? I can't help feeling it's my calling in this life to be a warrior." She explained.

Luna took it seriously. "I see. You wish to be my student in the Martial arts, then?"

"It would be an honor and a privilege." Stellar replied.

Luna nodded. "Indeed, it would be." She agreed. After a few minutes of thought, she looked at Stellar and nodded. "Yes. It is about time I trained someone in all the aspects of warfare and combat I know." She looked at Celestia. "If my sister can train Twilight to become the mage she is today, then I should do the same and train you to be the best warrior I am capable of making you, Stellar Sparkle.”

Stellar bowed deeply to Luna. “I am honored.” She told Luna.

“Then we shall announce to Canterlot and the rest of Equestria of your existence and your new position on the morrow, Stellar.” Celestia added. “I shall have the royal pages put out announcements this evening, and begin the planning before I retire, Luna, while you raise the moon.” Celestia told Luna.

Luna nodded and walked out to go raise the moon. “Get used to late nights, Stellar Sparkle. You will be spending a lot of time awake from now on.”

“Sounds like old times, then.” Stellar commented after Luna left.

Celestia nodded. “I shall leave you too, Stellar. There is much to be done before the morning.”

“And I’ll go tell my family the news.” Stellar replied as she got to her hoofs as well. “A good night to you, Celestia. Sweet dreams.”

“And to you, Stellar.” Celestia said warmly, before calling her staff together.

Stellar headed back to the Sparkle Mansion, hoping that things would go well tomorrow...

=======

The morning of the announcement of Stellar's existence to the assembled nobles of Canterlot saw Stellar and the three Princesses in a room off the Audience Hall. Celestia, Luna and Twilight were wearing their normal court regalia, but Stellar didn't have anything like that to wear. "I don't need it, really. After all, I'm not getting crowned today, just accepting being appointed your student, Luna." She pointed out.

"Very true, Stellar Sparkle, but you really should show that we are to be partnered a little more clearly." Luna replied, frowning with a little concern.

"Maybe a set of Guard armor might be suitable?" Twilight suggested.

"Possibly..." Celestia replied, then looked at Luna. "Sister, would you allow me to induct Stellar into the Royal Guard?" She asked.

Luna then smiled back at Celestia. "No, Sister. I shall do it. If she is to be my student, then Stellar should be inducted into the Lunar Guard." She said with confidence. Luna looked at one of the thestral members of her day-guard platoon and said "Please have a set of officer's dress armor delivered here, with a sabrehorn's helmet and the shoulder-guards for a night-wing."

The guard-thestral, who was a nightwalker, the thestral equivalent of an earth pony, came to attention and saluted, replying with "At once, Your Highness!" And he slipped out of the room.

Celestia and Twilight stood back, as Luna faced Stellar directly. "Now, for the proper formalities." She addressed Stellar directly. "Stellar Light Sparkle, do you solemnly swear to uphold the traditions of the Royal Canterlot Guard, the Royal Solar Guard and the Royal Lunar Guard, to honor their history and protect your Princesses to the best of your ability?" Luna asked Stellar.

"By Faust, the First and Foremost, I do swear to uphold the traditions of the Royal Canterlot Guard, the Royal Solar Guard and the Royal Lunar Guard, to honor their history and protect my Princesses to the best of my ability." Stellar repeated in a very serious voice.

Celestia nodded as Luna said "Then it is my honor and privilege to induct you as a lieutenant in the Royal Lunar Guard, effective immediately." She stated, as the Thestral guard returned with another thestral, this one a sabrehorn sargeant, a set of armor in baskets on their backs. Luna nodded approvingly. "Sargeant." She addressed the newcomer. "Equip this lieutenant for her duty in attending us in Court this day." Luna ordered.

"Aye, Your Highness!" The sargeant answered, and proceeded to equip Stellar with the dark blue armor of the Lunar Guard. Stellar allowed this to be done, knowing the traditions behind it. The sargeant then locked lieutenant's rank insignia on her helmet, chestplate and shoulder-guards. Once he was finished, he stood back and saluted Stellar, who returned his salute. Then they all turned and saluted the three Princesses. Luna returned their salute while Celestia and Twilight just nodded to them.

Luna then told the sargeant "Sargeant, pass the word to the Captain of the Night Guard when he awakens that I wish to see him, to introduce his latest officer to him and to the ranks of the Lunar Guard."

"Aye, Your Highness!" The Sargeant saluted and left, as the guard-thestral took his place again.

Twilight and Celestia applauded, smiles on their faces, and Stellar bowed to them. "Very well done, Luna, Stellar. Now you are a part of our service. This will help greatly with the announcement of your existence and commission." Celestia said.

"Yeah, Sis. That armor really suits you." Twilight commented.

Stellar wriggled a little in the armor. "It's... actually, it's a little small, but I'll get used to it, I'm sure." She said. "I don't think they'd ever considered having an alicorn in the Lunar Guard besides you, Luna, and you have your own armor."

"Very true, Stellar Sparkle." Luna admitted. "We shall commission a proper set of armor for you, once the formalities are out of the way."

"Thank you, Luna." Stellar said.

Then the bell-chimes sounded, indicating the doors to the Audience Hall had been opened to allow the nobles and others into the hall. Celestia knew that matters like this were all for show, since such things had to be seen in public for the nobles to accept them as fact, instead of gossip. Celestia looked at her fellow alicorns and said "Very well, everypony, let us be ready. The show is about to start..."

=======

As Day Court assembled, the air amongst the assembled Nobles was one of boredom and some curiosity. Celestia had posted notices the previous night that she had an announcement to make to all of those who would attend. The fact she hadn't made a much bigger announcement had the crowd's attention. There had been rumors amongst the residents of Canterlot that another alicorn had been spotted walking around and flying over the city during the last few days, although some said that it was merely Princess Twilight Sparkle... but then, others had sworn that she had been in two places at once, and the second Twilight had a very different cutie mark to the one Princess Sparkle was known to have. This speculation had fuelled the nobles' curiosity even further, so many had turned up to see if this 'announcement' might solve the mystery. The Royal Canterlot Gossip was spreading through the crowd like a whirlpool of verbal activity, swirling around and changing as if alive.

Then the gong sounded for the beginning of Day Court, and everyone knew something big was brewing when not just Celestia, but Luna and Twilight Sparkle appeared in their normal regalia. Those who were close to the pulse of royal society knew that this was very unusual. Princess Sparkle hardly ever appeared like this on the dais with the other princesses, but she seemed to be taking Princess Cadance's place for this event. The presence of the younger princess was cause for much speculation, since it was well-known that she disliked much of the pomp and ceremony of her royal duties. The gathered nobles were especially speculative, because the ones closest to the dais could see that she was genuinely happy to be there. Plus her parents were also in the crowd.

Amadeus Blueblood and his son were standing on the opposite side of the room to the Sparkles, and Amadeus was frowning. "What do you think it means, Father?" Prince Blueblood asked, his face neutral.

"I do not know." Amadeus replied. "There was no pretext, no official announcement besides the event being registered. Gossip has been... unusually restrained, or confused." He went on. "This is... unsettling. Celestia is never this restrained normally when she has that smug look on her face." He said with a scowl.

"Hopefully, this will not set back our plans." Blueblood said softly.

Amadeus just nodded. His son had spoken carefully, so he did not admonish him, and to do so to the casual reply would have drawn attention to their house, something that they did not need at this time. Then they saw the Princesses flip open their wings, and the official music silenced.

"Mares and Gentlecolts of Canterlot!" Celestia began. "It is with a great honor that I announce that a house in Canterlot has been privileged in a way that is almost unprecedented. Recent events have revealed the existence of a fourth alicorn in Equestria!"

There was a wave of gasps and chatter through the crowd, but Amadeus said nothing. He was watching the others intently. Then he groaned softly.

"Father?" Blueblood asked, confused.

"The Sparkles." Amadeus said, his voice full of disguised disgust and anger. "They didn't react to the announcement."

Blueblood may have been rash at times and merely still a student of his father's ways, but it struck him immediately. "Then, they're the ones Celestia talked about!" He hissed very softly.

"Indeed." Amadeus looked fit to kill as they saw something that had him cursing the fickleness of Fate. A figure walked out from the side of the dais, not down the long walk, and she was unadorned. Instead of royal regalia, she was wearing a set of Lunar Guard ceremonial armor and that made him pause for a second. He then looked at Celestia again and realised neither she nor Luna were in their coronation regalia. This confused him greatly.

Then Celestia went on as the figure turned to the trio of alicorns and bowed deeply. "We present to you all, Princess Twilight Sparkle's twin sister, thought to be lost to the ages and now returned as an alicorn in her own right! We present to you, Stellar Light Sparkle!"

Stellar turned and bowed to the assembled nobility and ponies of Canterlot, and wherever. Amadeus gave Stellar a very close inspection. The armor she wore, a little bit more formal and complete than the Lunar Guard wore on duty, showed her easily as almost identical to Twilight, save for her cutie-mark, which Amadeus took note of very closely. The Sparkle Star was expected, but the sword and shield was definitely different. It was obvious to him that this individual was very different from her counterpart up on the stage. He also noted she was wearing lieutenant's rank on the armor, showing she'd already been commissioned into the Lunar Guard.

"Although Stellar Light Sparkle is an alicorn and has proven herself to possess the talents of all three pony types, she has declined to be coronated at this time." Celestia then revealed, causing even louder chatter from the assembled crowd. "She has stated that she is not ready to assume any royal privilege and duties at this time, because she lacks the proper training of a princess. We have seen the logic of her argument and we three have agreed to her remaining as she is, with concessions to her status as part of a noble family as well as a commission with the Lunar Guard." Celestia detailed to the crowd.

Amadeus was genuinely surprised at that. Then his eyes narrowed. "That is some statement, Princess." He muttered. "So what have you decided?"

Blueblood himself was scowling fiercely. "She rejected the offer of being crowned?!" He hissed in his father's direction. "That... commoner! Doesn't she realise there are those who would give a hind leg for such?"

"Quiet, Son." Amadeus told him. As Blueblood turned to look at his father, his deep scowl changing slightly to one of confusion, Amadeus added "There's more going on here than meets the eye. This has been carefully orchestrated, I am sure."

Blueblood's anger didn't subside, but he remained silent and returned to watching.

"But as she will eventually be required to accept her coronation, we have seen fit to have her educated in the ways of Royal Duty and Privilege." Celestia went on. "Therefore, we have committed Lieutenant Stellar Light Sparkle to be the personal student of Princess Luna, as her sister was my own personal student." Celestia revealed.

That got a round of applause from most of the assembled ponies, but Amadeus could see his son was boiling over with anger. Before Amadeus could stop him, Blueblood launched himself forward and yelled out "STOP THIS!"

There were gasps as the assembly watched him walk out, glaring at Stellar, who moved aside slightly and faced him. "I say stop this at once! How dare you come before us and claim this, before all the others who deserve this far more than you do!" Blueblood vented at Stellar.

Celestia was shocked, for the first time in a while. She looked at Luna, who shrugged.

Blueblood got right in Stellar's face. "I do not know who you really are, but even if you are a real alicorn, you cannot be who you say you are! How DARE you try and usurp such privilege!"

Stellar's face became a snarl. "You would gainsay the Princess' will?" She asked him in a barely-controlled tone of suppressed rage.

Blueblood answered in a similar tone. "I would do ANYTHING to protect the sanctity of the Royalty from being sullied by the likes of YOU!" He yelled back at her. "Nopony such as you deserves to be anywhere near our beloved Princesses, let alone a student of one!"

Celestia was about to open her mouth to speak, when Blueblood said "I formally challenge you, Sparkle! I claim the right to your announced privilege, as you are unfit to claim it!"

Celestia was shocked. The challenge her nephew was claiming was ancient, yes, and unused for centuries, but it was still valid. The Nobles had made sure it was kept active for their own purposes, and not even she could stop it, now that the challenge was issued.

"You want a piece of me, Blueballs?" Stellar replied, her own anger blatant on her face.

There was another wave of shock that went through the crowd at Stellar's mis-saying of Blueblood's name.

Blueblood got even angrier at this. "Now you insult my noble family name!"

"Just as you have insulted mine and my honor!" Stellar replied, cutting him off. "You want this, name the time and place!"

Blueblood smirked. "One hour, the Royal Guards arena." He answered.

"Accepted." Stellar said, drawing herself up to look down at him.

Blueblood smirk grew wider. "Then prepare to meet your maker."

"You first." Stellar simply replied, as she turned and bowed to the Princesses, then walked off the way she had come.

Blueblood turned, bowed to his aunts and Twilight, then walked back over to where his father was waiting, by a special door.

= = = = =

After they'd left the Throne Room, Amadeus glared at his son. "That was reckless!" He said. "Admirable, but reckless."

"It had to be done, father." Blueblood said. "One Sparkle as a princess is bad enough, but two! And I should have been the Princess' student, not either of them!"

Amadeus sighed. "Very true, my son, but your challenging this newcomer is, as I said, reckless. We have no idea of her talents or abilities." He admitted.

"Do you not think I can defeat her, Father? I am the finest fencer in Canterlot!" Blueblood boasted, if truthfully. "I will defeat her easily with my special blades."

Amadeus scowled. "I thought you were saving those for the right time, my son."

"And this is the right time. I shall defeat her and claim what is rightfully mine! Once I am living in the palace, then we can gain access much more easily than having to rely on one of the guards." He pointed out. "And if she dies... she is a mere commoner still, not entitled or royalty. Her name will be forgotten in a few years, as I advance to my proper place."

Amadeus sighed, but nodded. "Then let us prepare."

Blueblood nodded back and they headed to the exit.

= = = = =

At the same time, the Princesses headed into the waiting room they'd been in before the session, where Stellar was standing, shedding the armor of Luna's Night Guard. "What was that?" Twilight asked Stellar.

"That was me defending myself, our family and our honor." Stellar said, as she put aside the helmet. "If that pompous plot-head thinks I'm backing down because he has a title and an attitude, he's got another think coming."

Twilight was surprised. Stellar's voice was calm and cool, as if nothing had just happened. "You know he's going to ask to go to the Death, don't you?" She asked Stellar.

"Fine by me." Stellar replied. "After I hand him his heart, then we'll see how big a stallion he is."

Luna looked at Celestia, then at her nod, left. "I hope there is one thing you realise, Stellar." Celestia told Stellar and Twilight. "Blueblood is a master fencer. He is sure to bring his blades with him."

"You mean those four-foot-long, double-ended blades?" Stellar asked.

"Yes." Celestia replied. "They are used by master unicorn fencers throughout the better schools."

Stellar nodded. "I see. Looks like I'm gonna have to improvise a bit, but I know how to fight against someone with a blade." She told them.

"And he'll have fencing armor on." Twilight reminded Stellar.

Stellar nodded. "Then I'll have to get some better armor of my own, then. Won't I?" She asked, her voice and manner still tightly controlled and calm.

"Then perhaps this will do." Luna said as she entered, an old chest floating along in her magic.

Stellar and Twilight were both very curious when Celestia smiled. "A very good choice, my sister." Celestia said as Luna put the chest down.

Twilight could see the latch of the lock had the Sparkle Star on it, with a pair of wings attached to the sides of the star. "Is... is this from our family?" She asked as Stellar touched the lock and pulled her hoof back as it sprung open.

Celestia nodded as Stellar opened the lid to reveal a set of red armor with silver edging in a slightly older style than the Royal Guard's armor. "This is the armor of Canopus Star." She answered Twilight's question.

Stellar heard Twilight give a gasp of surprise as she lifted the helmet out, noting the winged Sparkle Star on the forehead of the helmet and a rank insignia above it where her horn would have normally slid through. "General Canopus Star?" Twilight replied, astonished. "But..."

"Yes. The general left his armor here to the Crown when he left the service of the Crown." Luna replied. "His great-sword is supposedly somewhere in the palace as well, but we have not found it yet. Also, the armor set is incomplete. Most of the side-and flank-rump-plates are missing, as are the main shoulder-guards, especially made for a pegasus warrior." She told them.

"So... Canopus Star was a pegasus?" Stellar asked as she looked the rest of the armor over.

"Yes. He was the general who ended the Draco-Griffin war for us." Celestia informed the Twins. "His name is greatly renowned."

Stellar nodded as she noticed that the general's rank insignia above the visor was on an extended piece. Frowning, she turned the helmet over and looked inside, noting there was a hole through the forehead armor right where... She pressed the piece out of the hole and noticed it took the general's rank insignia with it, leaving a hole perfectly aligned for a horn. Stellar slid the helmet on and secured it. "It fits almost perfectly." She said.

Celestia nodded. "You are almost the same size as Canopus Star was." She said. "Please, wear this again to honor your Great-uncle."

Stellar nodded as she slid the armor into place. The pieces fit her well, although she had to bulk up a little in a few places to make the armor fit properly, like her shoulders and legs. The back-plate and neck-guards fit her almost perfectly as they were, but she felt a little unprotected from behind. "This almost feels as if it was made for me." She told the others.

"Then wear it and fight with honor, Stellar Sparkle, my student." Luna told Stellar.

Stellar turned to Luna and saluted her, a salute Luna returned.

"Now, let us go over the rules of the Challenge Combat." Luna said to Stellar, who sat and listened intently.

=======

An hour later, the arena was filled with Canterlot nobles and common folk alike, to witness a spectacle that hadn't been seen in a hundred years: a death duel. Stellar and Blueblood walked out into the arena at the same time from opposite doors. Stellar was wearing Canopus Star's armor with a few modifications, like a modern armored visor and wing-covers; while Blueblood was wearing a custom-fitted suit of fencing armor, a light armor that covered everywhere including the upper legs, his in a deep blue with his family crest on the chest-plate. Stellar noted he had four of the fencing blades in sheaths alongside the armor. She, in turn, had no weapons save for her wits and training.

Captain Flash Sentry was appointed Chief Marshal, and waved them forward. Once they were out in the middle of the arena, all three turned towards the royal box and while Sentry and Stellar saluted, Blueblood just bowed.

Flash Sentry looked at the two. He knew what Blueblood was capable of, but this Stellar Sparkle was an unknown. The way she held herself, however, showed she had a military background and that she was very well-disciplined. He then said "We are here to see a duel between Prince Blueblood and..." He looked at the card he had in his hoof, "...Lieutenant Stellar Light Sparkle of the Lunar Guard." There was a bit of chatter in the stands as Blueblood frowned, but Luna nodded at Flash Sentry, who nodded back. "Does either party wish to repudiate their claim to this duel and settle the matter peacefully?" Flash Sentry asked, as a matter of protocol.

"No, Sir." Stellar replied.

"Never." Blueblood then replied.

Flash Sentry sighed and nodded. "The terms are a fight to the death." He looked up at Celestia, who nodded with a grim look on her face. She didn't really like Blueblood as much as he thought she did, but he was one of her ponies and she hated losing any of them. Stellar was an alicorn, if a relative new-comer, and her death would be felt for centuries to come if she were to die. But her hoofs were tied.

Flash Sentry nodded back to Celestia, then looked at both combatants. "Very well! Both parties come to the center and touch hoofs, then retreat thirty paces away from the center. When I close the door, you may begin combat." He told them.

Stellar and Blueblood came together before Flash Sentry and touched hoofs.

"I shall see you delivered to Tarterus today." Blueblood said in a steady voice, but with a cruel sneer on his otherwise-handsome face.

"You first." Stellar replied again, her face rock-steady. Then she turned and marched away, her wings slightly deployed from her sides as she walked off. Stellar was reviewing everything she'd learned from Twilight, Luna and Celestia about the rules and what magic was allowed. No projected shields, no energy bolts, no nasty magic. Otherwise, anything went. She reviewed all her other abilities, including the schools of martial arts she'd been trained in, and nodded to herself. She had a chance even against his blades.

Blueblood slid one of his blades from its scabbard as he walked along, testing its balance and his control. It was perfect, as usual. These weren't his usual steel blades, though. These were a forbidden weapon, blades made of orichalcum, deadly to Alicorns since they made normal magic healing impossible in the Royal ponies. If he could plant them in the mare's chest or somewhere else vital, she would be dead very quickly. Her armor was the only unknown about her, as far as Blueblood was concerned. The strange armor was similar to that the Guards wore, but its color was unfamiliar and it was more complete than the normal ceremonial armor. It would make things more difficult, but not impossible. All he needed was a short time, the proper opening, and one blade. He turned after walking thirty paces and focused, putting the mare directly in his sights. As the door locked shut, he grunted and the blade shot forward, with her running right towards it. Blueblood smiled. This would be easier than he thought...

Stellar reached the required distance and turned, focusing on Blueblood. She knew he was unlikely to move, sending his blades to do their dirty work for him. She needed to rattle him early in the fight, to break his confidence and his focus or get him mad as hay so it would have the same effect. Smiling, her plan formed in her head and she got ready to sprint. As the door closed, she took off at a fast gallop, sprinting across the space...

Just as Blueblood's blade came close to Stellar, her horn lit up and she Blinked, the spell taking her across the arena instantly and, with her momentum, she flicked herself around and drove a huge buck into Blueblood's chest, smashing the light armor there with her heavily-armored hoofs. Blueblood's breath abandoned him almost at once as he was flipped backwards. As Stellar had him off-balance, she turned and drove blow after blow into his chest and barrel, her hoofs tipped with a magenta glow. The small shields stuck to her hoofs and amplified their hitting power, cracking his thin armor and breaking bones as well as powerfully bruising muscles. As Blueblood realised he'd been out-maneuvered, Stellar finished her sweeping motion and knocked his hind-legs out from under him, smashing into the backs of both fetlock bones and shattering one of them with her hoof. Then she ran off, leaving him to impact the arena floor and lose sight of her.

Twilight was half-way to her hoofs as she saw Stellar Blink across the arena and slam into Blueblood. Twilight had known that Stellar could fight, but she had just surprised even Celestia and Luna by the prowess she'd shown. Celestia looked at Luna as Blueblood hit the ground and nodded to her sister. Luna looked back, a little shock on her face, but then she smiled and nodded back.

Blueblood rolled over, coughing violently as he regained his breath. He'd never been hit that hard in his life, not even as a foal by his father. He felt at least four ribs were broken and his armor was shattered in several places, testament to the power of the blows that had hit him. Growling hoarsely, he got to his hoofs, to feel one of the rear ones seemingly on fire. He shuffled his weight onto the good hoof and looked about for Stellar.

Stellar, meanwhile, was looking for where Blueblood's blade had fallen. Finding it as the stallion rolled over, she rose to her hind-legs, the shield-blades forming on her fore-hoofs again, one shaped like a block-splitter on her right hoof. She held down the blade with her left, then, with a mighty shout, she slammed the splitter-blade-shield down on the center of the blade. With a crack that was heard across the arena, it shattered into dozens of pieces. Then she was off and running again.

"Did she just...?" Twilight asked, astonished.

Celestia smiled as Luna stared, jaw agape. "Indeed, she did." Celestia answered. "I have not seen that technique used in quite a long time." Celestia frowned. "I wonder... did she learn it from somewhere, or did she just come up with it by herself?" She asked.

Blueblood was furious now. Nopony touched him, ever! Nopony could ever hurt him! He drew the three remaining blades from his sides and launched them at Stellar, intending to skewer her.

Stellar saw Blueblood's reaction and smiled. She knew she'd rattled him severely and he was running on rage now. She felt the blades coming towards her and prepared. She focused on one in particular and flipped into the air. As she grabbed the blade she was after, letting it hit the shield around her left hoof as she grabbed it with her right, the second one passed under her and she spun in mid-air, her rear left hoof kicking the third blade, sending it spinning. She did land a little awkwardly, but she was dealing with a body not truly designed for the moves she'd used. However, she had what she wanted and spared no time in shattering the second blade as she'd done the first once she regained her balance.

Then she Blinked.

Blueblood had hardly any time to react as he saw and heard his second blade shattered, when Stellar appeared beside him. She let fly with a roundhouse kick, slamming a shielded hoof into his jaw through his cheek-guard and breaking it, as well as knocking several teeth out. Then she was away again.

Blueblood screamed as he slammed into the arena floor again, blood and spittle flying out of his mouth as the crowd cheered. Twilight was sitting up, applauding her sister, while Luna just nodded. "As you said, Sister; there is much more to her than meets the eye."

Celestia just nodded as Stellar sought to relocate the remaining blades. She found one easily, shooting around the arena aimlessly, while the one she'd kicked was nowhere to be seen. Focusing on the remaining one, she turned to grab it while Blueblood was rolling on the ground in agony and pounded it into the arena's surface, smashing it like the others. Unable to locate the remaining blade, she instead headed for Blueblood.

Blueblood was dizzy, the pain in his broken jaw adding to the agony of the other wounds, but he kept his head as he saw Stellar coming towards him. "This is how you wanted it." She called out to him.

"Yes, it is!" He stated through his clenched jaw, as the fourth blade, which he'd kept his mind locked on, clumsily but forcefully pierced Stellar's left shoulder, burying itself to the bone.

It was Stellar's turn to scream, but she only staggered with the force of the blow. To Blueblood's shock, she didn't go down as he'd expected, but stood there glaring at him as he got to his feet...

= = = = =

Deep in the archives, at the moment Stellar was injured, a box shook violently and exploded. A long object ablaze with Light energy shot out of it and through the storage area doors. Turning down a corridor, it raced for the outside, barely dodging around ponies in its way as it flew towards the arena.

= = = = =

Blueblood stood waveringly on his three hoofs, the hind right one unable to take weight. But Stellar just stood there, blood trickling down her left shoulder and leg, yet still upright. "Now... time to finish this." He said to her, an evil grin on his broken face as blood trickled out of the corner of his jaw. "I will kill you right now."

But Stellar's eyes widened as she felt something coming... Then she saw a black figure behind Blueblood, looking at him: a black, ghostly alicorn. Stellar saw it glance at her, then turn as if to listen to something coming from the Palace. Then she turned back to look at Blueblood, a smile on her face. "You're not going to do anything, because YOU'RE ALREADY DEAD!" She yelled, just as something smashed through the iron doors to the arena, splitting them and bending them inwards. Blueblood didn't even have time to turn as the object flashed across the arena and buried itself in Blueblood's rear, skewering him from plot to chest.

Amadeus was on his feet, his face draining of blood as he saw his son die before his eyes... by something neither one had ever counted on.

Blueblood, though, was still alive. Shockingly, the blow, although it had knocked him twenty feet forward, wasn't immediately fatal. But he couldn't move. His broken jaw hung open, his eyes were wide with shock as his internal organs bled openly and his mind shut down.

Stellar saw, as she moved closer, that the object had been a great-sword, which was now sticking half-a-foot out of Blueblood's chest, the only thing having stopped it from going right through him was the thick cross-guard that touched his tail and his balls.

Everypony in the arena was on their hoofs, the Princesses included, as Stellar reached Blueblood. Snarling at him, she said "You bleeding idiot, I was trying not to have to kill you. I told you you'd see Tarterus before me. You should have believed me." With a scream, she pulled Blueblood's last blade from her shoulder with her magic, switched it to her right front hoof, and then she shouted again as she buried it through Blueblood's lower jaw from below, straight up through his skull and brain, to leave it sticking just under a foot out of his head just behind his horn. Stellar watched as the light died in Blueblood's eyes. Considering the injuries the great-sword had done to him, Stellar considered it a mercy killing. Plus it sent a message to everypony there, that she could kill and would without hesitation, if necessary.

As Stellar staggered back a little, concentrating on herself and holding the pierced artery in her shoulder closed with her magic, the sword glowed again and swiftly but smoothly slid out of Blueblood's body, letting it fall to the ground. It then turned as Stellar watched it, coming up vertical before her as it floated there, runes of power glowing along its flats. Its silver and red colors left her in no doubt that this was the missing great-sword of Canopus Star, even if the Sparkle Star hadn't been on its cross-guard. The sword floated towards her as the crowd held its collective voice and stopped before her, glowing brilliantly with white light. Stellar felt its power, calm and soothing to her, as she instinctively got to her hind-hoofs and reached for it, taking it in her kinetic fingers.

The sword reacted, white light blazing around Stellar as more runes of power appeared on her armor as well as the sword. Twilight could see from where she was standing that the wound on Stellar's shoulder closed and healed over, the blood vanishing from her body. Stellar held the sword up high over her head, head thrown back and wings spread wide, and shouted a phrase that only three others understood as "GRANDFATHER, I ACCEPT!"

Then the light faded, revealing that a large scabbard had appeared on Stellar's back. She flipped the sword around and slid it perfectly into the scabbard over her shoulder. Her eyes were still glowing, then they faded as she dropped to her hoofs, then to her plot and down to her barrel, panting to regain her breath.

Twilight took off and flew down to the arena floor as medics raced out through the smashed gate. Realising there was little they could do for Blueblood, they turned to Stellar and ministered to her as Twilight trotted over. After a few minutes, they turned to look at Twilight and said "She's just exhausted, Princess. The wound's completely closed over."

Twilight nodded as Flash Sentry approached, banner beside him. Twilight stepped back as Stellar looked up at him. "I take it... that I have... satisfied... the laws of the Challenge... Captain?" She asked, panting as she drew breath.

"You have, Lieutenant." Flash Sentry replied, and held up his banner. Cheering and applause washed out of the crowd and over the arena, as Celestia and Luna politely applauded Stellar while she staggered to her hoofs. Stellar turned to the Royal Box, saluted and bowed to the Princesses there, then after taking Luna's return salute and Celestia's nod, she turned and walked with Twilight out of the arena, Flash Sentry walking behind them.

=======

Nopony noticed Amadeus Blueblood leave the arena. He quickly headed for his house, his plans now in tatters. Not only was his idiot son dead, but now there were four alicorns in Equestria as well as one in the Crystal Empire. No, only escape was left to him as a plan, and he would take everything he felt worth anything. Everything else... would be disposed of.

=======

Stellar walked only as far as she needed to, before Twilight 'ported them to her old rooms in the Palace. Stellar barely made it to the bathroom before bringing the light meal she'd had before the fight back up again, not even Twilight's anti-nausea spell able to save her stomach. She knew it wasn't the sight she'd seen. Part of her knew she'd seen more horrible ways to die than what Blueblood had suffered, but she was still weak from the fight and being wounded. The sword's magic had healed her, but her system was still partially in shock due to blood loss and the shock of the wound, let alone being teleported right after that.

Twilight helped Stellar to the lounge and settled her onto it as Celestia and Luna walked in. Stellar tried to get up, but both Princesses waved her down. "A fine display of martial talent, Stellar Sparkle. We are greatly impressed." Luna then said.

"Thank you, Princess." Stellar said. "Does that mean I'm still going to be your student?" She asked.

Celestia stifled a giggle as Luna grinned. "More than that, my friend." She answered. "I am taking you on as an apprentice, not just a student. I will train you in every form of martial combat, both physical and metaphysical, that I know of, as well as other schools of magic that relate to combat."

"Then I am more than honored, Luna. I am privileged beyond words." Stellar told her.

"I am glad." Luna said. "And I am honored that you want me to teach you, too, Stellar Sparkle. I just hope I am as good a tutor as my sister is."

Celestia slid a wing over Luna's withers. "You will do just fine, My Sister." Celestia told Luna. "I have every confidence in you."

"As do I." Stellar added, walking up to Luna and holding out a hoof.

Luna smiled at Stellar and took it, shaking their hoofs for three pumps then letting go. "Very well then, Stellar Sparkle." Luna told her. "I expect you to be here for the Night Court three days from now, when your training will begin."

Stellar nodded and saluted Luna, then they all relaxed, letting Stellar recover...