• Published 28th Jun 2016
  • 1,139 Views, 16 Comments

Not All That Sparkles Is Twilight - Stellar Light Sparkle



Twilight finds she's not the only one in her head. Can she get the person who's in control of her body out of her?

  • ...
2
 16
 1,139

01 : Awakening

I usually come awake very slowly of a morning, something I can treasure doing after my time in the Military. The light shining softly through my windows wasn't really a concern for me, having learned to ignore its brilliance as well. Birds chirped and sang loudly outside, but they also went ignored as I stretched lazily, my mind slowly booting up my body for the day.

I stretched as I usually do, not really realising that I was lying on my side instead of my front, as was normal for me. My brain was still ninety percent asleep as my autopilot system also booted up. Without even opening my eyes, I slid out of bed slowly, coming to rest on what my autopilot said was my usual standing position, and headed for where my mind knew the bathroom was. But my still-asleep conscious mind didn't take in that I was walking on all fours, nor that when I stretched and yawned, a pair of wings at my sides actually opened and stretched wide. I entered the bathroom and headed for the toilet, as my very-slowly-waking mind said to my autopilot 'Toilet', and I used it. Once the bidet function had finished, I moved to the sink to wash my face, and there my eyes opened for the first time that morning. It was then I realised that, in the mirror was not what I expected to see. A flash of purple in an unfamiliar form sank in as it became clearer, my Military-trained mind then kicked in and my much-bigger-than-usual eyes opened wide. I felt myself leap backwards, trip over as I tried to get to my feet and failed, and collapsed in a heap on the bathroom floor.

I breathed in fast and deep, barely stopping myself from hyperventilating due to my training coming into full operation. I felt the shock dissipate quickly and my mind cleared, as I took stock of my situation. Realising there was a limb of some kind over what I thought was my nose at first, I lifted it and looked it over. "Lavender..." was the first word I uttered that morning, then I noticed it wasn't an arm with a hand, as my logic told me should be there, but something else entirely. It looked like a leg with what I could only describe as a 'hoof' at the end of it, something that I was finding hard to take in. I wiggled it mentally and the leg and hoof responded, making me frown. "What in all the bloody world is going on?" I said in a louder tone than usual, and it hit me as well as I tried to make sense of the jumble of limbs I had fallen into, that my voice was also different. It had a much higher pitch than normal and sounded very feminine, which only added to my puzzlement.

I eventually managed to roll over on my belly, sorting out my four primary limbs and two extra ones that seemed to fold up along my sides by themselves. I also knocked something jutting out from my forehead on the marble-tiled floor that made my forehead ache and my brain rattle around inside my skull... or what certainly felt the same way. "Okay... this can't be happening." I assured myself, even if the pain in my skull certainly felt real enough. "People just don't wake up as other... um... things... or whatever I saw." I looked at my front limbs, as something at the side of my head swung back and forth in and out of my view. "But if this is happening," I looked at my sides, my much longer neck craning around to look along them, "then I have to be in serious trouble here."

I struggled to my four feet, or hoofs I realised as it sank in a bit deeper into my conscious mind, and waited until I got my balance. The other two limbs at my sides were moving only a little as I steadied myself and seemed content to stay where they were for now, so I left thinking about them to one side for the moment as I tried to take a few tentative steps forwards towards the mirror. I could see myself now, as I'd done before, the sink seemingly mounted at chest-height to me, and what it showed me wasn't a shock any longer, but a major source of confusion.

Turning side-on carefully, I could see what looked like a stylised equine form covered in lavender fur, with a very cartoon-like head that wasn't really anatomically-correct to horses I had seen before. The eyes were huge, the irises a purple color, and what I tentatively called a mane was a hue of dark blackish-blue, with two stripes of purple and pink running through it from the base of it to the ends. Looking back, I could see the tail I'd felt moving behind me was also colored in the same fashion. The limbs at my sides fully revealed themselves to be really big wings, and what was attached to my forehead was a long, straight, spiral-grooved horn, with quite a sharp tip. I frowned at my new reflection, something that really didn't suit such an extremely-cute face, I had to admit, but after moving around to see the rest of me, I couldn't see how this could be anything less than reality. There was no way I was still asleep, unless I was so drugged that my mind was warping reality around with free abandon, and this also couldn't be a costume since I now had six limbs, and the horn was definitely a part of my skull, not glued on.

My mane was a real mess, but I couldn't see any real way to relieve the nasty shock of bed-hair (bed-mane?) that I was suffering from. Instead, I turned slowly and walked out of the bathroom and made my way back into the bedroom, which was enormous compared to my small home. The windows filled one wall of what looked like a circular room, with a huge hourglass in the middle of the central floor, the bed was on a raised section to one side, and bookcases lined much of the rest of the wall-space, save for a big double-door entryway. I'd just started heading for the windows for a look, when there was a knock at the door from something much harder than human knuckles. I blinked and turned to face the bathroom quickly, as my mind figured that acting half-asleep might account for any slips I might make to whomever was at the door. Still looking fairly bleary-eyed, I turned my head back towards the door and said in a sleepy voice "Uh... come in?"

The door opened to reveal two figures that had a general resemblance to the body I was in, but had shorter horns and white coats with golden-blonde manes and tails. "Good morning, Princess Twilight Sparkle." They chorussed.

I gave them a sour look from two bleary, bloodshot eyes and replied in a sleepy, pained voice "What's so good about it?" They stopped and looked at me, shocked looks on their faces. I winced and added. "Sorry, sorry. Good morning, girls." I replied again.

They gave me knowing smiles. "Too much Apple Acres cider again, Princess?" One of them asked.

The other one grinned mischievously. "Don't worry, Princess, we'll get you presentable for breakfast with Princesses Celestia and Luna." She said.

I gave them what I hoped was a soft, weary smile and answered "Thanks, girls."

The pair giggled and walked me into the bathroom, where I was showered, washed clean and dried. Then out to the bedroom, where more of the white and gold unicorns (as I realised they were, now,) and two white and gold pegasi joined my pair. They ushered me to the now-made bed and they groomed me with gentle touches, the pegasi even preening my wing feathers for me, something that felt heavenly. I saw the unicorn girls (mares, I figured was the proper term) using their magic, their horns glowing softly as they brushed me, combed through my mane and tail and even filed and painted my hoofs, my eyes covered in two slices of what I assumed was cucumber. "To help remove the redness in your eyes, Princess." It was explained to me.

"Uh-huh." I replied. I got the idea there were a lot of questions that I wanted to ask that would not be wise to do so, since I got the feeling that I should already know the answers to those questions, and to ask them would reveal that I really wasn't this 'Twilight Sparkle' princess whose body I assumed I was currently occupying. That could be disastrous for me at this point in time, so I played along until I could get answers in a more subtle way.

The unicorns, who I assumed were the equivalent of 'ladies-in-waiting' for the princesses, including myself, then dressed me in golden hoof-shoes, a little scarf-like necklace with a big ruby in the center, and a tiara that had five pretty gems in it. Rather minimalist gear, but I guessed it was suitable for a 'pony' like myself. I'd gleaned from their morning chatter that we, as a species, were called ponies, and that I was a very special sub-species of pony called an 'Alicorn', and the other princesses were also alicorns. I also worked out that I was not actually part of the rulers of the land I was in, but a kind-of adjunct or former student of the head ruler, Celestia, who ruled the Day, and her sister, Luna, who ruled at Night. Kind-of made sense, I guessed.

The next hurdle I had was making my way to the dining room where the other princesses would be waiting. I was surprised, though, when I walked out the door to my room, to see four unicorn guards in fancy ceremonial-style armor outside in the hall. Then I smiled. I looked at the pair opposite me and asked "Would you gentlecolts escort me to Princesses Celestia's current location, please?"

The pair came to attention and one replied "Certainly, Your Highness", and I fell in with them. The presence of two of the mares behind me made them walk slightly ahead of us, so they could lead me where I needed to go, instead of me having to guess. The trip made me realise that I could never have guessed the way by myself, but I would certainly be able to find my way back again, since my training wouldn't let me forget a route, especially if I was trying to remember it. The 'clop-clop-clop' of the four unshod ponys' hoofs was counter-pointed by the sharper 'Tip-tip-tip' of my shod hoofs as we walked along through the marble hallways. Funnily, to my mind, it was a comforting sound, and I managed to relax myself as we proceeded to the 'Celestial Sisters' ' private dining room.

=======

The castle was a grand construction, I had to admit; beautiful and majestic in its wide-open hallways and rooms, yet somewhat homey in the smaller areas, such as the room where I found Celestia and Luna already sitting around a round dining table inside what I'd have to call a 'parlour' more than a dining 'room', per se. I was announced and walked in smiling as if it was the greatest joy in my life to be with the pair, who rose to greet me.

"Twilight." The taller, white-furred alicorn said, a very warm smile bursting out on her face as she saw me. The look she was giving me was more like that given to a favored daughter than a mere student, so I decided to treat her in a similar manner.

"Pri... Celestia." I said, deliberately fudging the greeting, before I crossed to her and stood before her sideways, as a foal did with their dam. I knew I'd done the right thing when Celestia leaned her neck across mine, nuzzling me and covering me warmly with a wing in greeting. I nuzzled her back, seeing a warm look in Luna's eyes as well as her sister and I embraced. Then, once Celestia let me go, I moved to Luna and gave her a short bow. "Good morning, Luna." I greeted her a little more formally, since the mares had made me feel that she was much more formal in her manners than Celestia was.

"And a good morning to you, Twilight Sparkle." Luna replied, the smile on her face brightening a little more. "You seem... well recovered after last's night soireé." She commented as we were seated. "I hadst felt that the amount of cider thou consumed would have hadst thou a little more under-the-weather than thou seems."

I giggled at that, grinning, as Celestia let out a giggle herself. "I have to admit, I definitely wasn't at my best when I woke up, and I'm not sure I would trust my magic completely yet, but I'm not as badly hung over as the others that were drinking with me." I answered Luna.

Luna chuckled. "Thou speakest the truth, Twilight Sparkle. Rainbow Dash and several of the nobles were passed out long before you succumbed." She told me, and I figured that 'Rainbow Dash' was a name I'd best remember. She sounded like someone that I knew well.

"Indeed, Twilight." Celestia added. "The only mare standing from your friends was Applejack, and even Rarity had to call off early. At least she knows her limit."

I nodded in reply." And the others?" I asked.

Celestia grinned as the serving staff started delivering stacks of pancakes, as well as other delectables to the table. "Fluttershy begged off early as well. I swear she got drunk on only one tankard-full." Celestia answered. "And Pinkie Pie... well." Celestia sighed, still smiling. "I had the Captain of the Guard ask me if he should tranquillise her, she was bouncing so high in the ballroom." We all laughed at that. "Even Cadance and your brother were amazed she wasn't hitting her head on the dome."

I'd made note of every name they'd given me, as well as the fact my brother (insert-name-here) and someone called Cadance were obviously known to me. Okay, names to research when I got the chance. "Will they be joining us for breakfast?" I asked Celestia and Luna as I poured syrup over my pancake stack, having seen the way things 'stuck' to the hoofs of the pegasi back in my bedroom. I'd tried it myself until I'd worked out how to do it, using my hangover as cover for my failures.

Celestia shook her head. "Your friends should be along shortly, but Shining Armor and Cadance left this morning on the first train. They didn't want to leave Flurry Heart alone in the Crystal Empire for long."

"After all," Luna then added, "She is a growing filly, and your niece is proving to be becoming as rambunctious as her aunt was at her age."

I pouted. "I wasn't that bad, was I?" I asked as I added the references together. Shining Armor must be my brother's name, and Cadance must be his wife, if this Flurry Heart was my niece and their foal.

Then the guard at the door said "Announcing Dame Applejack and Dame Rarity Belle." I turned to see an orange-coated mare with a blonde mane and tail and a Stetson-style hat walk in, with a white unicorn mare with a heavily-styled and curled mane and tail following. With the three apples that adorned her flank, I guessed the one with the hat was Applejack. I had seen my 'Cutie-mark', as the mares-in-waiting had called them, and I knew they were very important to ponies, but their reason escaped me at the moment. Still, they could be useful in identifying ponies, sometimes.

A few at a time, the others all joined us, and I was able to put faces and cutie-marks to the names. Rainbow Dash was obvious, as was Pinkie Pie, by the way she acted. No other pony could be THAT bouncy that early. But my instincts were slowly cutting through the fog that clouded my memories, and all these ponies started to seem familiar to me, and not just because I'd worked out who they were and since they were treating me as if we'd apparently known one another for years. No, my instincts told me I'd seen them all before... but where?

Then I winced as I bit on my fork, but not because of that. I got a spike of pain that slammed through my head, and a voice that sounded like my new one said, in a bleary voice 'Ugh... how much did I drink last night?'

I'd managed to keep a fairly straight face, so only Applejack noticed I'd winced. "Y'all okay, Twi?" She asked, showing the sort-of concern only a close friend or family member could.

"Yeah, Applejack, thanks." I replied.

'Applejack? What's she doing in my bed?' The other voice asked silently. Then I felt a wash of incredulity go through me, as if the other Me was able to notice where we were. 'The... Celestia's dining room? How the hay did I get here? And when did everybody else arrive?' She asked, stunned.

Acting as if nothing was wrong, as I watched Applejack give Rainbow Dash a ribbing about letting a princess beat her at drinking, I slowly found out how to talk to the other Me. "We've been awake for about an hour or so now." I said.

'Huh? What the?' She replied. 'Who the BUCK are you? And why can't I control my body?' She asked in an angry tone.

"Not sure yet why I'm here." I answered. "But whatever did this to us... I think it stuck me in as default controller. Sorry."

I turned my attention fully back to the others, as Fluttershy asked me "Are we still going to go to the Crystal Empire tomorrow?"

I dithered for a moment, thinking. "As far as I know, Fluttershy, yes we will be. I assume no-pony else has anything that could change that happening?" I asked the others.

'Oh Celestia above!' The other Me said. 'How am I going to explain this to Shiny and Cadance?'

"What's to explain at the moment?" I asked her. "And I take it you're the real Twilight Sparkle?" I added, hoping my guess was correct.

'You'd better believe it, whoever you are!' Twilight replied angrily. 'When I get control of myself again...'

"Hey hey, chill out, Twilight." I interrupted her. "I'm as much a victim of this as you are. I'm barely getting by here, trying to keep your friends and the other princesses from finding out this has happened. I'd rather not get them angry or panicking over this until we can figure out what's happened... and by the way, you do not know how glad I am you're actually back there." I told Twilight. "The thought that someone or something might have destroyed you, just to implant me in here is..."

'Frightening?' Twilight asked, but she knew it wasn't the word I was looking for.

"Abhorrent. Disgusting. An anathema." I corrected her.

I felt her nod. 'Actually, I am glad you feel that way.' She replied. 'And I'm... well, I guess I'm sorry I raged out at you before. I can see you're not hostile or malicious... just confused, as I am right now.' Twilight told me.

I nodded mentally. "As soon as I can figure out a way to either get us separated or perhaps explain things to the others, then I shall." I promised Twilight. "But for now, I'd just better be you to the others... although any pointers you give me would be very welcome. I've been getting by on my training and a good dose of luck."

Twilight considered that. 'I guess it would be for the best.' She agreed. 'After all, I do need you to go and research what we can find about reversing this... situation.'

"Indeed." I replied, smiling to her and myself. Then I found myself distracted, as the conversation turned back towards myself.

=======

Later on, I found my way back to my rooms in the Palace and sat down, thinking about what to do. I closed my eyes, seeking that place in my mind where I thought at my best.

I found myself inside my mind, in my mind's eye, as I'd been trained to do, but my body-image wasn't what I expected. I found I still looked like Twilight Sparkle, instead of something else... that I couldn't quite remember. I was feeling extremely puzzled when, from out of the edge of the area, another Twilight Sparkle walked in. I smiled and stood to meet her, but she stopped and frowned. "If this is where I think it is," She said to me, "Shouldn't you be looking... somewhat different?" Twilight asked.

"I know." I answered. "But for the life of me, I can't seem to remember what I looked like before... nor my former name." I explained to Twilight. "It's almost as if someone is trying to make sure I don't know what to go back to, if we can be separated."

Twilight sighed. "If this is Discord's idea of a prank, I am going to take his curly horn and... and..."

"Shove it where the sun don't shine?" I concluded helpfully.

That got a grin and giggle out of her. "Very eloquently put." Twilight commented. "But, seriously, if he's not behind this... then I don't have any clue as to who could be."

"Me neither." I had to agree. "But, as I said before, I apologise for putting you through this inconvenience."

That got another grin out of Twilight. "That's understating things just a teeny-weeny bit, but I thank you for that. Even if it isn't your fault, it's nice of you to apologise."

"What are friends for?" I said, smiling back at her.

Twilight frowned a little. "You think of me as a friend?" She asked.

"I'd like to think so." I answered. "We're both stuck together in a very annoying situation, unable to do anything about fixing it yet, but we're not yelling and screaming at one another or accusing each other of being behind it. We're acting like the mature beings we are, working together to try and find a mutually-acceptable solution. And isn't that what friends would do?"

Twilight thought on that for a moment, then nodded as I sat down. "I have to admit... you're starting to even sound like me." She replied with a smile, sitting down herself.

"Thank you." I said back, grinning. "I must admit, after the initial shock, this form is starting to grow on me." I admitted. "Hopefully, if we do get separated, I might find myself occupying a pony body of my own." Then I frowned. "Although I hope that's fully my own opinion, and not one given to me by whoever's behind this."

Twilight nodded. "Yes, I have to say that it appears they might be making changes to you to make sure you adapt, and I will say that I don't agree with that at all. You should have a free mind when making any decisions over such an important issue." Twilight then stood and shook herself out. "We really need to be getting to the Royal Archives. There's several books there we need to be looking through to see if we can find some clues."

I nodded and rose, too. "Okay. Just direct me to the Archives and tell me which books you need to read, and I'll do the legwork for us both." I said with a smile.

Twilight smiled back. "Okay... and thanks for being so reasonable."

"I'm always reasonable." I shot back. "Even when I'm screaming my head off."

That got a big laugh out of Twilight. "Good to know!" She shot back as she disappeared into the darkness at the edge of my sub-conscious.

I rose as well, then turned to walk out and found myself back in my bedroom... with a pink pony face inches from my own. I gave out a squeak and barely stopped myself rolling over backwards with my wings. "Pinkie!?!" I didn't-quite yell at her.

"Who were you talking to, Twilight?" She asked me.

I smiled. "Myself." I replied. "At least I can have an intelligent conversation that way."

Pinkie giggled and moved back. "Know the feeling!" She replied, then looked at me seriously. "What's wrong, Twilight?" She asked.

I looked her over. "Pinkie Sense?" I asked.

Pinkie nodded. "Yeppers." She simply replied.

I sighed. "Sorry, Pinkie, but this... this is something that I'm not sure anyone can help me with." I explained. "But I already have good help, and if I know you and the other girls can help me with this, I Pinkie Promise I will get you all together as quickly as I can." I made the motions of the Pinkie Promise to her.

Pinkie's muzzle split with a grin again. "Okay, Twily, I know you'd never break a Pinkie Promise." She told me, before I got up and walked out with her.

As we were walking along, it occurred to me... how the hay did I know what Pinkie's Pinkie Sense and Pinkie Promise were? Did I get that from Twilight... or was it something entirely different?

=======

The Royal Archives were huge, to say the least. At least having Twilight along helped the search for the right books go much quicker than if I'd been trying to look through them myself. 'Okay, this one's got nothing.' Twilight said to me. 'Try Prancer Vale's Guide to Transformation tome, aisle sixteen, third shelf from the top.' She suggested. I found and pulled the indicated book from the shelf, this time without even looking like it was going to drop from my telepathic grip. 'Hey, not bad. You're really starting to get the hang of using magic.' Twilight complimented me.

I chuckled softly. "Not anywhere near your league yet." I replied. "But thanks." I moved back to the huge table where we'd been looking through a stack of books that numbered close to thirty now. "Lessee now..." I flicked carefully through the pages using my horn's magic, my touch being as gentle as I could make it. I'd barely managed to stop ripping pages out of the first book I tried this with, and thank goodness Twilight had been there to show me the library's magickal repair station. I did not want her to get a bad reputation for tearing books apart, not after so many years with a good one.

'No... no... no...' Twilight commented as we read through the book 'Hmmm... what to do when merging yourself with another form doesn't go to plan... sounds promising.' Twilight said.

I scowled after reading through the chapter. "Nope. Just talks about physical merging." I told her, feeling gypped. I set the tome in a new pile, then sighed. "Any other suggestions?" I asked her.

'Ummm...' I heard her say as she searched her memory. 'Try... Lake's Magickal Mental Morphology, aisle twenty, should be at eyeline height.' Twilight told me.

I walked though to aisle twenty, but found the book was replaced by a form with a card in it. "Huh?" I said, puzzled.

'Oh, bother.' Twilight answered my unsaid question. 'That means someone's taken it out. Whose name is on the card?' She asked.

"Umm... yours." I answered.

I chuckled as I felt a mental facehoof. 'Drat! The blasted book is back in my castle's library. We'll have to go back there and look at it.' She told me.

"Okay then, Twi." I said. I returned to the table and started putting the books on the 'Return' plate, marvelling as they disappeared, only to return to their space on the shelves. "Absolutely marvelous." I commented. "I bet the national archives of my world would scream for a system like this."

'You said you were having trouble remembering things.' Twilight said. 'Does that mean you're remembering more?'

'Most of what I know is fairly clear to me, Twi." I explained. "But it's personal information that's missing, such as who I was, where I lived, anything that could identify me as a person before I ended up inside you is being either erased or censored."

'Hmmm... that's very troubling.' Twilight replied. 'That sounds like a definite indication that your merging with me was a deliberate act... although maybe not a malicious one. After all, whoever-they-were didn't get rid of me, as you said. Maybe we are meant to be separate, eventually.'

"Keep holding onto that thought, Twi." I told her as I put the last book back on the plate and watched it vanish.

We moved to the center of an open area and Twilight started coaching me again. 'Okay, a teleport spell isn't the easiest one for anyone to do, but I've done this successfully a number of times, so you shouldn't have any trouble doing it either... at least physically or magically.' She explained to me. 'Your biggest hurdle is the mental aspect. You haven't done this before and you haven't seen my castle before, so you're going to have to trust me that: one; you can and will be able to do it easily. As an alicorn we have done this, as I said, a good number of times without magickal strain. Self belief is paramount and critical to success.'

"Got it." I replied. "No biggie, for us this is easy." I got myself in the right frame of mind.

'The second thing is, I need to see if I can give you an image of what the main casting room in my castle looks like.' Twilight told me. 'Since you've never been there before, this is the hardest part of teleporting... but I've also teleported blind in the past successfully. The spell has safeguards to prevent us ending up inside a wall or anything else, so don't worry too much about getting it wrong. Even if we really, really fudge it up, the castle's defenses will simply deposit us outside at a pre-determined location.' Twilight grinned. 'I know, I cast the spells myself.' She even sounded smug.

I smiled tolerantly at her. "Okay, Twi, then give me the visualisation." I cleared my mind and waited, as a fuzzy image slowly oozed into my conscious thoughts. As it cleared, I found myself standing inside a three-dimensional image of a large, circular room, with the most intricate pattern on the floor, as if I was standing there myself. I could even turn about and see all around me, fixing the room in my mind. "Wow, way to go Twilight." I commented. "It's almost as if I was really there."

'That's what I'm hoping.' Twilight's voice said softly in my ear. 'Now, focus on your location, bring up your magic, then simply will yourself to be there.' She told me.

"That's it?" I asked.

'That's it.' Twilight confirmed.

I smiled confidently. "Okay, then. Let's do this." And I summoned Twilight's power again, this time letting it build up a lot more than I had before, concentrating on being in that room. Then, for just an instant, I was nowhere and everything was a soft, off-white grey, But before the sensation could impinge on my 'worry-center', the room appeared around me with a 'Pop!', and I dropped about an inch to the floor. I did feel a little nausea, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the first time I jumped out of an aircraft being buffeted by a big storm... which I somehow remembered doing several times. I growled softly to myself over being able to remember such things, but not who or what I had been. Then it hit me... I'd successfully teleported myself from one place to another, and NOT fudged it up. I then did something I thought I'd never do in my life: I squee'd like a ten year old filly given the best Hearths-warming present ever and bounced in place, spinning, for about thirty seconds, until I heard Twilight giggling in the back of my mind.

"What?" I asked her, now very self-conscious.

That cracked Twilight up. 'I NEVER did that, even when I teleported for the first time!' She told me. "Celestia, that was so cute!' Her laughter slowly abated as I frowned at her mentally.

"Hey, As far as I can remember, no-one on my planet has done anything like that successfully." I reminded Twilight. "Although, I do remember stories of pon... people apparently disappearing from one place and ending up entire continents away, and not knowing how they got there, so maybe teleporting on my former world is possible, but it can't be controlled yet." I surmised as I headed for the room's doors.

Before I got to them, though, the doors opened, to reveal another light-purple pony with darker hair. "Twilight?" She asked.

'That's Starlight Glimmer, my student.' Twilight said in the back of my mind.

"Thanks." I thanked Twilight silently before I answered Starlight. "Hi Starlight." I said casually, as if I'd know her for ages.

"I thought you were in Canterlot." Starlight said as I passed her. "Weren't you going to the Crystal Empire tomorrow?"

"Still am." I answered. "But I found out I need to consult a book that was back here, not there, so I came home to find it." I explained.

"Oh." Starlight answered, as she turned to follow me.

'Turn left, second door to the left.' Twilight directed me. 'The first one's a fake.'

"Good to know." I said as I passed it by.

"So what's the book that's so important you had to teleport back here to get it?" Starlight asked.

"Lake's Magickal Mental Morphology." I quoted the name Twilight had mentioned in the Archives.

That made Starlight stop. "Huh? Why that book?" She asked. "Surely Prancer Vale's Guide to Transformation would be more suitable..."

"Looked in that one." I interrupted. "It didn't have what I need to find." I explained.

Starlight chuckled. "I should have known you, of all ponies, would have checked everything else there first." She commented.

I chuckled with her as we reached the door to the Library. "Ah, you're starting to know me too well, Starlight." I told her as the door opened and we walked in. I looked about and found the book just where Twilight would have filed it. I was starting to know my host, too.

I sat with the book at one of the tables and started leafing through it. "So... what's the problem?" Starlight asked me.

"A tricky one." I answered. "Imagine, one body, with two minds... and maybe two souls stuck in it, one the original pony, the other a stranger." I looked at her.

Starlight blinked with surprise at my scenario. "That's... that's horrible!" She stated. "Who would do such a thing? Discord?"

"I thought that at first as well." I said back as I leafed through the pages. "But I'm not so sure any more. It feels kind-of like something he might do, but I didn't find a trace of his magic anywhere when I looked for it."

"All right, that is very puzzling." Starlight said with a sigh. "So, if it's not Discord...?"

"Yeah, that's the most puzzling part." I replied. "But first, I have to see if I can find a spell to separate the pair, without killing one or both of them."

Starlight gulped nervously. "Yeah... that's the trick, isn't it?"

I nodded as I came to the end of the book and sighed sadly. "Well, no help there." I told Starlight, as I closed the book and put it back on the Return square. It vanished as I rubbed my hoof on the bridge of my muzzle. "I've been through just about every book I know on anything even partially related to this and there's nothing, almost as if no-one's ever faced this sort of situation before."

"Maybe they haven't." Starlight said as she looked at me. "So... what's the plan now?"

I closed my eyes and pressed my forehoof to the bridge of my muzzle again and sighed. "Frankly, Starlight... I don't know."

=======

I returned to the casting room after Starlight said she was going to go to town and get some things. I sat in the middle of it and turned my sight inwards again.

Twilight walked out into my Mind's Eye once again, and she looked pensive. "I'm... well, stumped, to be honest." She admitted.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm not much better." I admitted back. "I'm not even as read up on magic as you are. This... is all just craziness to me, save for the fact that I can actually DO magic. That alone takes a lot of my logic and makes a mockery of it."

Twilight chuckled. "Maybe we need to find a new type of logic." She suggested.

I humphed and kept thinking... then it hit me. "Maybe instead of a new type of logic, we need another type of magic." I told her.

Twilight frowned. "Another type of magic? What do you mean?" She asked.

"I'm not sure." I answered. "But, according to what little I do know of you, you're the bearer of the Element of Magic." I reminded Twilight. "Maybe we should try using it on ourselves."

Twilight looked surprised. "That's... I never even thought of that." She said thoughtfully.

"Can you teach me how to summon it, then?" I asked Twilight.

"I think so." Twilight said. "But what do you think it might do?" She asked.

"Well, from the few memories and other things I got from you, the first time you used the Elements was to separate Nightmare Moon from Princess Luna." I reminded Twilight. "Maybe we can use it to separate us from each other."

Twilight grinned. "You may be right!" She exclaimed happily. "Okay, I'll see you out there, and we'll try it."

I nodded and turned to walk out of the agreed space. Once back in the real world, I moved to the center of the casting room and waited for Twilight to return. 'Okay. Now, you should be able to feel the connection to the Element of Magic near the center of my magic 'core', if you slowly feel for it.' She explained.

"Okay." I replied, then I did as she asked. I was already familiar with the feel of Twilight's natural magic, due to teleporting and levitation, so when I felt something different and much more powerful than what Twilight used normally, I touched it with my magic sense, and it pulsed powerfully. "Wow!" I said as it flowed through me.

'That's it!' Twilight said enthusiastically. 'Now, you know how to activate my magic, so do the same for the Element, and you should transform into the Elemental state I become when the Tree of Harmony imbues me with its power.' She explained further. 'Hopefully, it might separate us out.'

"Okay, here it goes." I said, and called forth the power of the Element... and it fizzled. "Okayyyy..." I said, confused.

'No, that wasn't right.' Twilight said. 'You're trying to force it, and the Element doesn't work that way. You need to submerge yourself in it, let it flow through you completely, not just through your horn.'

"Harder than it sounds, then." I said, as I tried to steady and relax my mind.

'That's it, be at peace. Feel the power of the Element flowing through you.'

I chuckled. "Yes, Master Yoda." I replied, grinning. The, before Twilight could answer, the power leaped from inside me and surrounded me brilliantly. I felt... transcended by it and it filled me in a way Twilight's magic didn't, and it felt like she and I were drawing closer together. I felt things/images flowing into my mind, things that weren't from me, as well a lot of knowledge. Then it collapsed again, leaving me stunned and a bit wobbly.

'Owww.' Twilight's voice sounded pained.

"Yeah, that felt like a Seven on the Slam-o-meter." I agreed as I dropped my plot to the floor. The images I'd seen were slowly filtering themselves into my sub-conscious, and sorting themselves out onto what appeared to be knowledge and personal memories - memories that weren't mine, but appeared as if from my own perspective. The knowledge, I realised, was magickal theory and a lot more, connected to memories of reading books and listening to teachers, including Celestia herself.

Then Twilight sounded huffy. 'I do NOT look OR sound like a little green... whatever that Yoda fellow is!' She exclaimed in a peeved tone.

That got me laughing and rolling on the floor. Even Twilight started giggling after a minute or two. Then it struck me. "Hey, I never told you who Yoda was." I stated. "How do you know?"

'Um... something happened when the Element was powering us up.' Twilight answered. 'I have a huge load of new information, including several dozen movies stuck in my mind, Star Wars and its companion films close to the forefront.' She told me. 'By Celestia, your people were creative! Imagining whole new universes and then being able to make movies about them! It's so incredible and lifelike! If I didn't know they were faked, I'd swear you'd actually been there.' She sounded really overjoyed. 'And the weapons! Aircraft! Cars! Tanks! Computers, both desktops, tablets and mainframes! So much... Technology!'

I chuckled as the pain in my head faded. "Yeah. It seems as if we got a lot of crossway action going there, Twi, but something happened before we could be merged. I don't think the Element of Magic wants to make us one."

'Hmmm, you could be right.' Twilight sounded a bit soured by my statement. 'Maybe we should try it one more time, just to be sure.'

"Okay." I told her, sounding unsure. "But if we come to, feeling like an AT-AT ran us over, it's your fault." I snarked at Twi as I got to my feet and tried to get in a relaxed state once again. When I felt ready for it, and the power was calm inside me, I reached for it again...

...with pretty much the same result. This time I was lying on the floor, groaning, with my head tucked under my outstretched wings, the pain consistent with the level of a class-nine migraine.

'Arrrgh!' Twilight moaned. 'Okay... no more trying that.'

"No kidding." I agreed. Then a spell that I hadn't known before ran through my aching head. Grabbing onto it, I cast it and the migraine eased off so quickly, Twilight and I both moaned with relief.

'Oh by blessed Celestia.' Twilight sighed thankfully. 'Hey, I never taught you how to do that headache relief spell. How did you know how to do it?' She asked.

I checked inside my memories. "Yep." I said, as my suspicions were confirmed. "I've got ALL your memories, Twi. Every single one of them, as well as every book or scrap of information you've ever learned."

'Huh? Wait.' Twilight said, sounding concerned. 'And the verdict is unanimous.' She said what seemed like only a minute later. 'Not only have I got all of your memories, minus the edited bits, but all my own memories are ordered far beyond anything I'd been trying to achieve. It's almost like... I have an eidetic memory now.'

Checking back on my own memories, I found the same thing. "Same here, Twi. Apart from the things that have been deliberately cut out, I can remember pretty much everything. And all your memories are as clear as anything... save that they seem to be in a different file from my own, but otherwise completely accessible."

'Okay, that's weird.' Twilight stated.

"Not if you think about it." I replied.

'Umm... so, what do you mean this time?' She sounded confuzzled.

I chuckled. "If you were going to merge two people's memories together, it'd be a LOT easier if they were fully ordered and sequential, with nothing left out. That way, you could slot them together far more easily than if they were all over the place." I logically suggested. "So, we got our memories laid out, everything fully ordered and ready to be slid together... when I bet the edited parts of my memories caused the whole process to abort, leaving us with each others' memories intact, but still separate."

'That's a pretty half-plotted theory," Twilight said in a skeptical tone, 'but, barring anything that sounds better, I guess it'll do for now.' She concluded.

I got to my hooves. "And, now that I know exactly what happened when we separated out Nightmare Moon and Luna, I know what we need to do next." I told Twilight as I headed for the doors to the corridor.

'And that is?' Twilight asked.

I smiled in a convincing way. "Call the others."

= = = = =

I headed for the throne room and went to the Table. It was all so familiar to me now, as I hopped up on Twilight's throne and touched the table's edge, the Map appearing to me as if I'd done this a hundred times or more. Once it had stabilised, I could see the others all waiting in Canterlot, their cutie-marks as clear as day spread out around the city. Nodding, I slammed a hoof onto the image of my castle, and the cutie-marks on the others' thrones lit up, pulsing like Hearths warming lights.

I could feel Twilight watching what I was doing from inside my head, and while she didn't exactly know what I'd concluded, I felt that she was placing her trust in me. 'Okay, they're going to get here as fast as they can, now.' Twilight's voice echoed in my head. 'So why are we calling them back here? What can we do here we can't do elsewhere?'

"I realised as the memory of you lot separating Nightmare Moon from Luna fully coalesced in my memory, Twi." I explained. "I realised that it required ALL of you, not just the one, to pull the pair apart. And I think it'll work the same with us." I stated firmly.

'Or, at least, you hope it will.' Twilight said, drolly.

"Got any better ideas?" I asked. When she said nothing, I added. "Thought not."

=======

In five different places around Canterlot, five cutie-marks on five ponies pulsed with energy, and the five of them knew what that meant.

- Applejack finished paying for the new seeds she'd bought and, sliding them into her saddlebags, she made a beeline for the train station. Her feeling that something was wrong with Twilight was growing stronger. While her friend hadn't been openly dishonest, she was hiding something, and Applejack was determined to see this sorted before anything else happened;

- In the Wonderbolts Compound, Rainbow Dash's eyes crossed, and those she was with - Spitfire, Soarin and Fleetfoot - saw what was happening. Spitfire caught Dash's eye, then nodded. Saluting, Rainbow Dash respectfully left her office, after giving Soarin a nuzzle and a wink to Fleetfoot. Then she raced down the corridor, flew down the stairs and crossed the lobby, scattering other ponies before her, and blasted off right outside the front door. The train be damned, She thought to herself, Twi needs me, and the faster the better!

- Fluttershy had just finished ordering the new veterinary supplies and books from the animal hospital at the edge of Canterlot, when she felt the summons. Once she'd paid for her order and organised delivery, she apologised profusely and left, flying along at her usual slow pace for the train station. She'd felt something was very wrong with Twilight, but she hoped that maybe she was ready to get help at last;

- Rarity looked up as the summons lit up her cutie-mark and sighed. Sassy Saddles looked at her pulsing flank and raised an eyebrow at Rarity, then nodded. Rarity gave her a thankful look, then headed for the train station after gathering her bags. At least she and Sassy had managed to sort out the new summer lines before this happened and, down deep, part of her said that this was an 'about time' moment. Twilight had some explaining to do, and Rarity was going to be there for it;

- Pinkie Pie bounced out of Canterlot Castle, giggling to herself, as Celestia gaped at the massive seven-tiered rainbow-hued cake that dominated the floor as she walked out to begin Day Court that afternoon after lunch. All the other attendees were also staring at it in confusion. Celestia closed her muzzle, sighed with resignation and, after calling the Royal serving staff, began having the cake passed out amongst those attending the court... after having one slice of each color/flavor reserved for herself, of course.

=======

Back in Ponyville, I relaxed and headed for the kitchen. My stomach was rumbling emptily and I needed something to munch on, badly. "Heya, Spike." I said as I entered. "Do we have any fish in the fridge?"

'Fish?' Twilight said, sounding confused.

"Uh, sure, Twilight." Spike replied.

"Good. I'm feeling hungry, and I'm not sure a hayburger, flower sandwich and hay fries are going to cut it today." I told him. "I know we keep some trout on-hand for Rainbow Dash, so cook us both up a good big one each."

Spike looked confused. "You expecting Rainbow Dash here soon?"

"Yep. In about ten minutes, give or take." I confirmed.

Spike opened the fridge and nodded. "Okay, Twilight. If you say so." Spike said, and took out the filleted and de-boned trout from the fridge.

'But... I don't eat fish!' Twilight said apprehensively.

"Don't worry. You're part-pegasus now, and even unicorns can eat meat if they want to." I reminded Twilight.

'I knew there was a down-side to you having access to ALL my memories.' Twilight grumbled.

I chuckled. "Don't worry, Twi. It'll taste awesome. If Spike can cook it properly." I thought to her.

Twilight sighed. 'He should. Rainbow Dash never complains about his cooking.' She admitted.

"Then think of it this way." I told her. "You'll get to taste what fish tastes like, without having to procrastinate over the technicalities of eating it." I reminded her. I licked my lips. "Trout tastes really good, too, even if Salmon tastes even better. Hmmm... note to one's self: teach Spike how to make sushi." I added.

'Sushi?' Twilight asked, now curious.

"Search my memories." I directed Twilight as I walked down towards the balcony at one end of the castle. Once I got there, I looked at the big clock on the wall and waited.

'Rice, seaweed paper, vegetables and various meats, wrapped together, as well as other bits of raw meat and eggs and other stuff?' Twilight eventually replied. 'If it wasn't that I can remember how it tastes, I'd be disgusted... But now you have me curious as well.'

"If done properly, it tastes wonderful, yeah." I chuckled at Twilight's growing curiosity. I checked the time, counted to ten and opened the door, just as Rainbow Dash raced through and went spiralling down the circular corridor. I closed the door and then caught her in a force-field as she came back around. "Hi Dash!" I said to her, as she stopped flapping her wings.

"Twilight!?" Dash asked. "What's the emergency?"

"Not really an emergency, but I need you all here." I answered. "Sorry if it seemed really urgent."

Rainbow Dash huffed, then shook herself as I set her hoofs on the floor. "Well... okay." She said, looking disgruntled.

I smiled. "I have fish cooking..." I told her softly.

Dash's eyes opened wide, as her ears and wings pricked up. "Fish?" She asked, even sounding hungry.

I nodded. "Pan-fried trout." I confirmed.

Dash practically drooled. "Okay, I can forgive you." She said with a smirk. We laughed as we walked back towards the kitchen. "So, what's so urgent?" Dash asked.

"I'd rather tell everyone when we're together, because I need all the Elements together." I said in way of explanation.

Dash nodded. "That's cool. The others should have caught the train by now."

"Good. The sooner they get here, the better." I told her as we entered the kitchen. The smell of freshly-fried fish wafted into the dining room, leaving both the pegasus and alicorn mares drooling.

Then Dash looked at Twilight. "Hey, Twi, I didn't know you liked fish." She commented.

I blushed a little. "Yeah, I, uh, tried fish when I went to Griffonia that time. And I found it to be... " I searched for the right word, "...delectable."

Dash laughed. "Now THAT'S the right word for trout, yeah!" She heartily agreed. We both laughed as Spike brought out two plates with a beautifully fried trout on each, as well as hay fries, with two big cups and a tall jug of iced tea.

"Bon appetit." Spike said in Prench as he placed everything on the table, and Dash could barely restrain herself from gobbling the fish in one go, but as she saw Twilight pick up a fork and start daintily picking the fish apart, she sighed and also grabbed a fork and followed suit. I smiled softly and continued eating.

=======

It took about an hour for the Ponyville Express to pull into the station outside of Ponyville, the four friends disembarking leisurely. "Well, ah hope that Dash ain't had her ear talked off by Twi while they've been waitin' fer us." Applejack told the other three.

"I'm sure they'll be fine, Applejack Dear." Rarity replied. "It's quite possible Twilight has distracted Rainbow Dash with something they both enjoy, like a board-game or something."

"Ooh! Ooh! I love board-games!" Pinkie said with a big grin as she pronked next to Fluttershy, who was so used to it that Pinkie's bouncing didn't even bother her any more.

Applejack chuckled. "Yeah, we all know that, Sugarcube." She said as they walked off the platform. To their surprise, there was a taxi-carriage sitting there, the driver waiting for them. They all knew him, a large Earth Pony stallion by the name of Tallmark. He had a placard with their names already displayed on it with small, pre-made letters. "Well, heya Tallmark." Applejack said. "Whatcha doin' here?"

"As the sign says, Applejack." Tallmark replied. "The Princess asked me to bring you to the castle. Said you deserve the ride after your long trip from Canterlot."

Rarity brightened. "Well! That is most thoughtful of her." She commented as she walked up the stairs into the rustic-styled open carriage. The others joined her, then Tallmark hooked himself up to the traces and started pulling the carriage towards Ponyville proper.

"Twilight must be feeling either rushed or a little guilty for calling us back from Canterlot." Fluttershy suggested.

"Yeah! This is real service." Pinkie agreed as she settled into the comfy seats.

"Probably a bit o' both, I'd reckon." Applejack added. "Not like her ta use the Table ta call us on a whim or anythin' like that."

"Indeed." Rarity agreed. "Tell me, have any of you noticed that she's been acting... a little odd since this morning?" She asked her friends.

"Darn right I noticed it." Applejack confirmed, as Fluttershy and Pinkie nodded. "She's been acting real nice, but also a bit weird, as if she weren't... herself." Applejack's mind clicked over and came to a conclusion.

Rarity narrowed her eyes. "Am I right in guessing that you've come to the same conclusion I have, Applejack?" She asked her friend.

"Ah'm not sure if I reckon she's been 'replaced', if'n that's what yer thinkin', Rarity." Applejack told her as Fluttershy's and Pinkie's eyes widened in shock.

"Nah nah! That's not right." Pinkie said. The other three looked at her. "I spoke to her before she headed for the archives! It's her, all right. My Pinkie Sense wouldn't lie to me." Pinkie stated. "But there IS something wrong, she even admitted it to me. But she Pinkie-Promised me that, if she found she needed us to help her, she would call us, and she has, like she promised!"

Rarity looked surprised, but Applejack nodded. "Yep, that's the Twilight we know, all right." She stated. "Always tries ta fix things on her own first, but always knows when ta call her friends in." She smiled softly. "Learned that lesson well, ah know she did."

"Well, that's all well and good." Rarity said. "But why do you think she needs us now?"

"Because she knows she does." Fluttershy then spoke up. "She wouldn't ask for our help unless she knew she had to, especially with us being in Canterlot instead of Ponyville. It has to be a big thing, or else she would have waited."

The others nodded in agreement. "Yep, ah reckon ya gone and hit the nail right on tha' head, Sugarcube." Applejack spoke up.

"And it's the least we can do for Twilight, after she's done so many things to help us!" Pinkie almost shouted as she tried hard not to bounce in the carriage.

Rarity smiled. "Once again, girls, you've shown why I love you so much as my friends." She told them. "And if Twilight needs our help, far be it from me to say 'Come back tomorrow, I'm busy', after everything we've shared together. We would not be friends if we failed her, especially if and when she needed us most."

"Exactly." Applejack simply replied.

Then they saw the castle coming up towards them, as they crested the hill between the station and the castle.

=======

In the castle kitchen's small informal dining area, both Rainbow Dash and the pair of minds sharing Twilight's body were relaxing, stuffed with delicious fish. 'Darn it, you were right! That was incredible!' Twilight's voice rang through my head. 'I never realised fish tasted so good.'

"You never know it until you try it, Twi." I replied silently, as I looked at Dash, who was patting her full stomach and moaning in pleasure.

"Spike!" Dash called out.

"Yeah?" Spike asked as he walked out of the kitchen.

"Best fish ever!" Dash said and grinned at Spike.

Spike chuckled. "Thanks, Dash. Glad you liked it." He said back, and headed back into the kitchen itself.

Twilight heard the whistle of the Ponyville Express arriving at the station. "Well, I hear the train pulling in. The girls should be here in about ten minutes."

Rainbow Dash chuckled. "Takes them as long to get from the station to here as it did for me to fly from Canterlot to here." She stated smugly.

I chuckled with her. "Hey, not everypony can fly as fast as you, Dash." I admitted. "Now, let's go down and greet them." I stood up, but it looked like Dash was having a little problem standing. "Or would you rather wait for everypony else in the casting room?" I asked her.

"Casting room. Definitely casting room." Dash said with a groan.

I laughed softly, then picked her up with my levitation and carried her into the room. I never knew how easily Twilight's alicorn magic could do things until now, after having all her training and experience as my own. I left Dash lying on a thick, soft cushion on one area of the floor, then headed downstairs.

I was surprised to see Starlight Glimmer coming in through the front door as I reached the lobby area. "Starlight!" I said with a grin.

"Heya Twilight." Starlight said, smiling back as she closed the door, her bags full of things.

"Just in time." I told her as I reached her. "Did you get everything you wanted?"

"Uh, yeah. I got everything I wanted, but some of what Spike asked me to get is on order." Starlight answered.

"That's okay." I told Starlight. "Now, the other Element Bearers should be here any minute now. I'm going to try and fix that problem we talked about earlier."

"Really?" Starlight asked. "And you're going to let me watch?"

"Sure." I confirmed.

"Goody." Starlight almost was bouncing as she walked away. "Where's the pony in question?" She then asked.

"Already here." I replied. "So's Rainbow Dash. She's in the casting room, sleeping off a nice feed of trout."

Starlight smirked. "Sounds like her speed." She said back. "Okay, I'll put things away, then join you there." Starlight told me, just as I heard Tallmark's carriage pull up outside. I headed out to greet my friends.

"Hey, everypony!" I called out as they started to disembark. "Thanks, Tallmark." I said to the big stallion, as I handed him his fare.

"Always a pleasure, Twilight." He replied, knowing I preferred to drop my title when in Ponyville. Once Tallmark was gone, I led everyone inside.

"So, what's this all about, Twilight?" Rarity asked, still a little miffed. "I was rather busy in my boutique when your summons reached me.

"Yeah, Twilight!" Pinkie said. "I missed out on seeing Celestia's face when she saw my gift to her in court this morning!" She pouted at me for a moment.

"Gift, Pinkie?" I asked, dreading what she might have done.

"Yeppers." Pinkie grinned again. "I left her a cake to help cheer up everypony in the court today."

Applejack chuckled. "By tha amount of ponies waitin' ta get in ta see Celestia, Pinkie, that had ta be one mighty big cake." She commented.

"Big enough." Was all Pinkie said in reply.

"You are feeling all right, aren't you, Twilight?" Fluttershy then asked me, from my other side.

"Well, yeah, I'm feeling okay, Fluttershy, but there is a problem, and I've come to the conclusion I need all of you to help fix it."

'You've come to that conclusion, you mean.' Twilight's voice echoed in my head.

"Hush, no comments from the peanut gallery unless it's helpful." I replied silently.

"I prefer popcorn to peanuts." Pinkie then said, out of nowhere.

I blinked with surprise at that. "She heard us speaking?" I asked Twilight.

'One can never be sure with the Pink. Its powers are random and unfathomable.' Twilight replied.

"Careful, Twilight, you're starting to sound like Yoda again." I ribbed her helpfully.

That actually got a chuckle from her. 'I guess it's the whole Mentor thing.'

"More than likely." I agreed as we all headed for the casting room.

"So, what's tha problem then, Twi?" Applejack asked.

"And where's Rainbow Dash?" Rarity wanted to know.

"Rainbow Dash is in my casting room, stuffed with fish." I answered Rarity first.

That got a few giggles and titters. "So that's how ya made things up ta her, then." Applejack concluded.

"Yeppers." I confirmed, getting more giggles. "And as for the problem... I can't seem to connect to the Element of Magic."

That got gasps. "But... but how?" Rarity sounded stunned.

"Yeah, Twi, if'n ya can't pull yer Element to ya, what happens if'n we need 'em?" Applejack asked.

"I have a theory, but I need the other five Elements in order to try for a cure." I explained as we reached the casting room door and entered it. Opening the door released a wash of loud snores from inside, and as we entered, Starlight was sitting on a couch in a niche to one side, while Rainbow Dash was on her cushion, on her back, snoring loudly. Starlight rose to greet everypony, while Applejack went and woke up Rainbow Dash.

"Wha?!?" Rainbow Dash said with a snort, as Applejack tapped her gently on the head.

"Time ta wake up, Sugarcube." Applejack told her.

"Huh? How'd you guys get here so fast?" Dash asked as she rolled over. "I just closed my eyes for a second, and you're here."

"It's been a little longer than a second." Fluttershy added helpfully. "You were fast asleep when we came in."

"Awww... and I was having the most wonderful dream, too." Dash lamented.

"Don't tell me: You leading the Wonderbolts." Rarity said with a little snarkiness in her voice.

"Hey, how'd you know that?" Dash asked Rarity.

"Because that's all ya ever seem ta dream about, Sugarcube." Applejack replied with a grin.

Everypony laughed at that, save for Rainbow Dash, who frowned and huffed back. "Yeah, well, after actually joining the Wonderbolts, it's the next big phase in my plan, so I have to work out how it's all going to go, don't I?" She grumbled.

"Y'all will do it just fine, Dash." Applejack told her, patting her on the back.

"Anyway, getting back to why we're here: Twilight, you said you needed the Elements." Rarity refocused everypony's attention.

"Yes." I confirmed again. "Now, this might sound a little crazy, but I'm going to need you all to focus the rainbow power of your Elements on me, while I try and call for the Element of Magic again." I explained what I needed. "If I'm right, it'll jump-start my element and fix whatever's blocking me from powering up completely."

"Uh, isn't that a little bit dangerous, with something as powerful as the Elements?" Starlight then asked.

I nodded. "I know it is, but after not finding any answers in any of the books I've read, and with the Element of Magic being... uncooperative, this is the only thing I can think of right now." I sighed. "Anypony else got any ideas?" I asked.

Everypony thought on the problem for a minute or two, but all they could do was shake their heads or shrug. "Well, okay Twi. If'n y'all are thinkin' this'll work, then we're gonna give it a shot."

"Yeah!" Pinkie agreed and bounced in place.

I smiled. "Thanks, Girls." I replied. "Now, I need you all to stand around the circle and get ready." I turned to Starlight. "Starlight, I need you to stand in the circle over there. It will protect you from any stray energy that might try to engulf and change you." I warned her.

Starlight nodded and headed for the protection circle, while the others took their places. I headed for the center of the main circle as the protection circle activated, sealing Starlight in. "Power up!" I yelled out, and five ponies were surrounded by brilliant radiance, transforming into their Primal Elemental forms, then I nodded at them. I closed my eyes, relaxed and went to that place inside us, the place Twilight had shown me, and felt the power flow into me again. "Now!" I called out. Five beams of pure elemental power slammed into me, just as the surge of power from the Element of Magic filled me once again... but this time, it felt different.

=======

Starlight watched as Twilight was surrounded by the power of the Elements of Harmony. She was fretting something fierce, hoping that they'd cure Twilight of whatever was... afflicting her. Then her eyes widened as she remembered something Twilight had told her earlier. "One body - two minds." She said softly. That was what Twilight had called the others to cure... but it was Twilight in the center! Was she... the one that was affected?

Starlight tried to call out, but the barrier kept her from being heard. This was beyond anything she'd ever read about, beyond her experience. And what would happen if it failed?

Then, as the blinding radiance faded just a little, she saw one sphere of energy split and become two. The two took form, and both formed ponies. One looked, to Starlight, like images Twilight had shown her of herself as a unicorn, before she ascended; the other, although colored exactly the same as Twilight, had no horn, but two huge wings adorned her sides: Twilight as if born as a pegasus. Starlight saw them open their eyes and look at one another...

=======

In the Palace in Canterlot, Princess Celestia had just concluded Day Court and was walking back to her sitting rooms, ready to relax until Luna rose and they fulfilled the second part of their responsibilities: ending the day and beginning the night. But then, as the guards moved to allow her to pass, Celestia flinched, then writhed. She screamed and almost fell, saved only by the quick thinking of the guards in the corridor and her escort, who slammed together around her to hold her up.

Luna, too, was resting, but at that same moment, she arched her back and screamed, eyes wide but not seeing, her whole being in agony for a brief time, as her attendants stared, shocked, before they raced to comfort her.

Outside, all over the planet, save for one small place, the ground shook as if Equis itself writhed gently in tune with the princesses. Then, as quickly as it began, the earth tremors ceased.

=======

I felt the power filling me beyond anything I'd felt before, and Twilight's presence faded from my head. I felt my hoofs touch the floor again, and I opened my eyes. Before me was an image like that I had seen in the mirror, of Twilight Sparkle, but I noticed she had no wings now and was smaller, like the other ponies. Then I noticed the weight of the horn that I'd always been conscious of was gone from my head. My mind then turned to my sides, and I felt the comfortable ruffling of my wings. A peace filled me as I smiled softly, a smile I saw echoed in Twilight's face opposite me. We both nodded our heads and closed our eyes. If being ordinary ponies was the price for retrieving our individual lives... then so be it.

For herself, Twilight gazed upon the other pony opposite her, that looked so familiar, yet with no horn and a really big pair of wings, more like her alicorn pair than those of a pegasus. She found the comparison... fascinating. Then she smiled at her counterpart and nodded to her. Then she and her other self closed their eyes, as the power of the Elements flowed over them again.

=======

Starlight was almost ready to try and blast her way out of the protection circle, when the light quickly faded, swirls of magic racing around and dissipating, to reveal not one, but two alicorns standing in the center of the casting circle. The protection barrier then dropped, freeing her, as the two alicorn Twilight Sparkles opened their eyes and looked at one another again, the other Element Bearers also gasping in surprise as their Elemental forms dropped away.

"Twilight?" Starlight asked, as she approached. Then, as the twins were about to say something, their eyes rolled up into their heads and they collapsed, one on her side, the other on her barrel.

Starlight looked at the others. "Quickly! Get them out of here!" She ordered, and the others hastened to obey, unheeding that it was Starlight telling them what to do. "Rainbow Dash! Go get Nurse Redheart and anypony else you can!"

"Aye aye!" Dash replied, saluting, and shot out of the castle like a cannonball.

Starlight and Rarity lifted one Twilight up, while Pinkie and Fluttershy helped lift the other one onto Applejack's back. "We'll take them to the Royal Guestroom." Starlight told the others as the door was opened by Spike, who'd heard Rainbow Dash speed out.

"What the?" He asked as he saw what was happening.

"Spike, get a letter to Princess Celestia!" Starlight said as they carried the two Twilights out of the casting room.

"No need!" Said a familiar voice loudly, as Celestia and Luna appeared in the corridor behind them. The Princesses gasped as they saw who the group were carrying, and lifted the two Twilights with greater ease and speed than the others. "Lead on." Celestia told them, and they all headed for the room that Twilight kept two big beds in, specifically for when Celestia and Luna stayed at the Castle.

Once the twins were lying in separate beds and resting peacefully, Celestia looked at Starlight Glimmer, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie and asked. "Now, could someone please fill us in with what has transpired here today?"

Author's Note:

Okay! First run-through here. Many of you might find my spelling to be a bit funny, but I'm Australian, not American, so some things are spelled our way. :rainbowwild:

I hope people find this to be enjoyable. This is the start of a long series, which branches off into several others along the way, as it's a multi-universe series. And it fits into slight-alternates of some existing storylines (so as not to have to have my series and the others grinding to fit together. :derpytongue2:

Feedback welcome, and just remember, because it looks similar to others, don't assume it's the same.

Oh, and if things go well, I might be releasing a storyline where others can write in, if they so desire.

Thanks for checking it out! :twilightsmile: